Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Squealing noise from front wheel?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Squealing noise from front wheel? Sun, 20 February 2005 06:54 Go to next message
Just noticed this noise after a brisk drive.

Coming from the left hand front wheel, i thought it may be a wheel bearing but others have suggested rattle clips on the brakes.

Its a squealing sound, but only makes the noise when the steering wheel is turned to the left.

No noise when turned right or driving straight ahead.

Ideas?
  Send a private message to this user    
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Squealing noise from front wheel? Sun, 20 February 2005 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've had a similar problem before but mine was wheel bearing. basically the seal was broken
and eventually destroyed the bearing... the only thing holding my wheel to the axle was the
brake caliper! does it make the sound on even small turns to the left or only on big turns?
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Squealing noise from front wheel? Sun, 20 February 2005 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
even small slight turns
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Squealing noise from front wheel? Sun, 20 February 2005 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine was doing this after the drift day last weeks
changed wheel bearings (cost like $80 bucks)
now its smooth and silky and quiet
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Squealing noise from front wheel? Thu, 17 March 2005 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Great, now I'm paranoid about my squeeling noise. Good one dong.

Is there any way to tell the difference between general brake squeeling and wheel bearing squeel?

In my case it's a slightly raspy, squeely sort of sound, and it continues regardless of whether I'm braking or not. Does this mean I can eliminate the brakes as the source of the squeel? (Note: The noise doesn't doesn't even change pitch when I start braking)
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Squealing noise from front wheel? Thu, 17 March 2005 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Raspy sound aye...i'd go for bearings.

Jack your car up and free spin the wheel, if the bearings are far gone you'll be able to tell from doing this(it'll be "
stiffer" than usual and probably make a bit of a raspy, or crunchy, noise)
barned01
Regular

September 2003
Re: Squealing noise from front wheel? Thu, 17 March 2005 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from personal experience a wheel bearing is on its way out if it makes the noise while turning (well this is when you start to notice it anyway) you should be able to pinpoint which wheel it is coming from when you turn the wheel. but best to do them both at the same time so you know when they have both been done.
but yeah replace (maybe regrease) your wheel bearings and you should be good.
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Squealing noise from front wheel? Thu, 17 March 2005 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Drat.
I was just about to say, it only seems to do it when I turn even slightly to the left.

Grrr, I don't want to have to shell out for new bearings Sad
I'll do the spin test tomorrow morning when I do my oil change.
barned01
Regular

September 2003
Re: Squealing noise from front wheel? Thu, 17 March 2005 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to satisfy my own foggy memory, does it sound like it is coming from the right front?
by the way my bearing kit costed less than 20 bucks for one wheel.
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Squealing noise from front wheel? Fri, 18 March 2005 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It was that cheap? Awesome.

Was that an overhaul kit, or actually getting new bearings?

P.S. I don't care about your stinking thread Glen. This is MINE now Very Happy
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Squealing noise from front wheel? Fri, 18 March 2005 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joorsh wrote on Fri, 18 March 2005 12:00

It was that cheap? Awesome.

Was that an overhaul kit, or actually getting new bearings?

P.S. I don't care about your stinking thread Glen. This is MINE now Very Happy

I dare say new bearings.
They dont cost that much, not exactly large bearings. Helps if your workplace has a nice discount with one of the local suppliers as well Wink
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: Squealing noise from front wheel? Sat, 19 March 2005 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Or stop trying to be a V8 Super Car Driver... Laughing Laughing Laughing
Bert
Regular

May 2003
Re: Squealing noise from front wheel? Sat, 19 March 2005 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the backing plate for the disc could be bent and when you turn it rubs on the disc causing the squeal noise......

the best way to check a wheel bearing is to drive along a straight road (preferably a back steet with no other cars and a abit quiet) listen for the noise and snake left to right.
if the noise goes away when you turn one way, then it would be the wheel that is the opposite from the way you turned (does that make sense)
ie turn to the right and the noise goes = left wheel.
turn to the left and noise goes = right wheel.

cause the weight of the car puts load on the bearing....someone correct me if im wrong. (thats what i learnt at trade school, but it was a while ago!)
greenta22
Regular

July 2004
Re: Squealing noise from front wheel? Thu, 07 April 2005 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive noticed this as well, but my noise is more like a clunking/knocking/grinding noise when i turn either way. no noise going straight ahead. rekon this is a wheel bearing too?

[Updated on: Thu, 07 April 2005 12:11]

rollin_stock
Regular

February 2005
Re: Squealing noise from front wheel? Thu, 07 April 2005 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
greenta22 wrote on Thu, 07 April 2005 21:41

ive noticed this as well, but my noise is more like a clunking/knocking/grinding noise when i turn either way. no noise going straight ahead. rekon this is a wheel bearing too?

geez that sounds more like a ball joint, steering wheel shake at all?
greenta22
Regular

July 2004
Re: Squealing noise from front wheel? Thu, 07 April 2005 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
doesnt really shake, but you can feel the knocking through it. it gets faster as i speed up and gets louder as i turn the wheel harder.
DFECTD
Regular

August 2004
Re: Squealing noise from front wheel? Thu, 07 April 2005 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
called a busted CV joint mate.
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: Squealing noise from front wheel? Thu, 07 April 2005 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I disagree about the busted CV. I have a similar squealing noise to the one you describe and i just changed my entire CV joint and shaft 3 days ago.

So yeah, probably bearings or your mum Razz
Hawk
Regular

August 2003
Re: Squealing noise from front wheel? Thu, 07 April 2005 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like mine. Turn steering wheel 85/90 degrees to left and get a squealing rubbing noise from right hand wheel - higher the speed travelled the faster the noise. Took it to toyota and they couldn't find anything. Of course I pulled out from dealership and heard it first L/H corner i came to. Their paperwork said turn steering wheel to right (typo) so I'm going back to get it rechecked. Wheel bearing for Grp A x 2 $$$$$ I'll let you know next week.
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: Squealing noise from front wheel? Fri, 08 April 2005 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DFECTD wrote on Thu, 07 April 2005 23:06

called a busted CV joint mate.

if going by his name he owns a ta22 you can rule out CV joint as the ta22 doesnt have them Cool
greenta22
Regular

July 2004
Re: Squealing noise from front wheel? Fri, 08 April 2005 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ball joints eh? they expensive? and does anyone know who would stock them in melbourne? repco etc..

(sorry for theiving this thread)
greenta22
Regular

July 2004
Re: Squealing noise from front wheel? Fri, 08 April 2005 04:15 Go to previous message
fuckin loose wheelnuts Laughing
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4AGTE vacuum lines
Next Topic:1G-GZE vs 1G-GTE valves
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 18:17:25 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0073668956756592 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.