Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ssstylin
Occasional Poster

April 2005

ZZE122R Corolla or N15 SSS S2 Mon, 04 April 2005 08:51 Go to next message
Hi there, I am just enquiring about these 2 cars as i'm looking at buying a new one...

The things I like about the SSS, is that it's got around the same power, if not more than the ZZE122R... I am a "hot hatches" lover, always have been! Smiley = Reason I like the ZZE122R, is mainly because of the looks, and it does have balls to back to up... I probably only thing this, because i'm used to my 1984 1.6L engine... Rolling Eyes I have rented the ZZE122R for 2 weeks because someone smashed my AE76 and I absolutely loved it! I'd love to go for the Sportivo, but that's wayyy outta my price range.

I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts on these 2 cars are and sorry if I am posting something that is already up, as I am a brand new member! Cool

Does anyone have a ZZE122R Ascent or Conquest that has done up them, such as wheels, exhaust etc? I'd love to hear about it. Smile Thanks.
  Send a private message to this user    
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ZZE122R Corolla or N15 SSS S2 Mon, 04 April 2005 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ssstylin wrote on Mon, 04 April 2005 18:51

Does anyone have a ZZE122R Ascent or Conquest that has done up them, such as wheels, exhaust etc? I'd love to hear about it. Smile Thanks.

Dude,

Checkout "http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/" .

Plenty of Sportivo and Ascent/Conquest ZZE122s

Cheers
T.
malazn
Regular

March 2004
Re: ZZE122R Corolla or N15 SSS S2 Tue, 05 April 2005 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i own an n15 s2 sss right now and have owned a ae112r corolla conquest in the past..
now the n15 is no doubt a great car with excellent brakes from the gtir pulsar with abs Smiley = and the sr20 is great !! loves to rev !!

where as the corolla is more of a family car?
i mean besides the sportivo the corolla is made for i guess city driving?

but also the corolla was quite a great little car
good on fuel
and didnt mind the odd rev..

but if your after performance and all i reckon the sss
or the sportivo...
but i wouldnt buy a normal corolla conquest ascent etc..

i currently have my sss for sale if your interested pm me Smiley =
ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

Re: ZZE122R Corolla or N15 SSS S2 Tue, 05 April 2005 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just to give you a biased opinion Smile

I have a 2003 corolla ascent manual HATCH.

and the only thing I find frustrating (as I've said many times on this forum) is the rev limiter at 6200 --> right where it's making great power.

Gears have decent 'run' in them considering I can get to nearly 60 in first.

The corolla also looks pretty damn hot with a bodykit 'thrown' on...

eg:

http://www.users.on.net/~bmrogers/shit/runx/runx_f1.jpg
http://www.users.on.net/~bmrogers/shit/runx/runx_f2.jpg
http://www.users.on.net/~bmrogers/shit/runx/runx_f3.jpg
http://www.users.on.net/~bmrogers/shit/runx/runx_r2.jpg

[Updated on: Wed, 06 April 2005 08:43] by Moderator

ssstylin
Occasional Poster

April 2005

Re: ZZE122R Corolla or N15 SSS S2 Tue, 05 April 2005 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WOW! Now THAT looks hot... that's what I was saying, mainly the reason why I like the ZZE122R Corolla, is because it looks so HOT when done up! Very Happy SSS I know would be probably a lot cheaper, because I woulg go the N14 SSS Jap Spec, mainly because it's the same engine/power as the N15, but I think it looks better... Still, I don't know what to do! I love the rolla cos its new, and I know toyota's make a damn good engine! Mines 21 years old, thrashed the guts outta it a few times, and it's still running perfectly! Not saying that i'm the type of person to always kill the car, but just for the thrill every now and then... in a 1984 1.6L... hahaha Laughing
ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

Re: ZZE122R Corolla or N15 SSS S2 Tue, 05 April 2005 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well here's how I see it:

N14 sss:
goes for around $6k - $15k, has an sr20de apparently not that hard to do an sr20det conversion, there's a fair few that have been done on http://www.pulsar.org.au

ZZ series Corolla:
Still around the $15k - $25k (Depending where you look and how patient you are) Ascent / Conquest / Levins and TTR versions in this price range. Sportivo around $27k (these are all private sale from Carsales).

Zz series unless sportivo has 1zzfe engine which is same engine used in new mr2's. Sportivo has 2zzge both engines are quite 'tunable' with a range of aftermarket parts availalbe.

1zzfe is rated at 100kw at the fly.
2zzge is rated at 141kw at the fly.

There is a TRD 'bolt on' supercharger kit for both of these engines.
ScreaminRolla
Regular

October 2003
Re: ZZE122R Corolla or N15 SSS S2 Tue, 05 April 2005 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The trd supercharger is only for the 1ZZ

Heres a pic of mine to help ya decide

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/uploads/1112250490/gallery_46_4_1112745449.jpg
ssstylin
Occasional Poster

April 2005

Re: ZZE122R Corolla or N15 SSS S2 Wed, 06 April 2005 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmm... I like the SSS, but i LOVE the rolla... so i reckon i'd probably just go for one of these... damn they look hot, but the sportivo is wayyy too expensive for me... all this 1zzfe and 2zzge is mumbojumbo to me... Confused lol... sorry... i LOVE the kit, without the black bonnet... damn! how much would one of those cost eh?

Is there really that much difference in power between the normal Rolla and the Sportivo? I mean like, would you feel it in take off? The Torque difference is only 9 Nm...

[Updated on: Wed, 06 April 2005 06:16]

ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

Re: ZZE122R Corolla or N15 SSS S2 Wed, 06 April 2005 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ascent vs sportivo on take off: No.

Ascent will keep up until the higher rev range and the 'lift' kicks in on the sportivo and the rev limiter kicks in on the ascent.

the C One body kit is around $4000.00 and the sportivo kit unpainted is $2200.00 from toyota. (when I last checked anyway)

ssstylin
Occasional Poster

April 2005

Re: ZZE122R Corolla or N15 SSS S2 Thu, 07 April 2005 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmm... what do you reckon, of just buying a 2002 ZZE122R Corolla Conquest, manual hatchback... putting some nice 17" rims on it, lowering it with an exhaust for now... maybe put a kit on it later...not to forget the awesome sound system... how's that sound?
olihaub
Regular

July 2004
Re: ZZE122R Corolla or N15 SSS S2 Fri, 08 April 2005 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ra23mad wrote on Tue, 05 April 2005 22:39

and the only thing I find frustrating (as I've said many times on this forum) is the rev limiter at 6200 --> right where it's making great power.

i know exactly wot u mean my mums got one its done 90 000 kays already and nothing wrong with it at all but the rev limmiter is such a fun killer

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: ZZE122R Corolla or N15 SSS S2 Fri, 08 April 2005 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you like revs the sss hit rev limiter at 7.5rpm i have seen sportivo rollas for as low as 24k. My dad has a SSS and it has been good only problem is that the dash is quite right the plastic casing around the stereo and aircon etc is off at one side and has been since new the plastic the interior is mad of are very prone to getting dirty and scratches, the material the seats are made out of burs up like you wouldn't believe but the are good seats.
Air con is very average compared to the toyota's and the accerelator cable became jammed/seized at one point so a bit of Wd40 fixed it, my sis's boyfriend had an N14 that did excatly the same thing.
Good for fuel economy a little bit of torque steer nice engine note stock but a shit load of road noise.
Handles well brilliant brakes my dad is still on the original pads after 54000kms but he doesn't drive it hard.
ssstylin
Occasional Poster

April 2005

Re: ZZE122R Corolla or N15 SSS S2 Fri, 08 April 2005 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmm... all my friends are saying to me, the corolla hatchback is a girls car Mad that's why i'm getting put off... and the revs... mmm... maybe just add more power? exhaust? extractors? chip?
urban_myth
Regular

December 2004
Re: ZZE122R Corolla or N15 SSS S2 Sat, 09 April 2005 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so is a stock pulsar sss

i'd get the corolla for something different, it is still a good car tho
ssstylin
Occasional Poster

April 2005

Re: ZZE122R Corolla or N15 SSS S2 Sun, 10 April 2005 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dunno if a conquest has enough power though.. 100kw, how many kw is that at the wheels? isst expensive to do them up? or should I say, does it go against the warranty to do them up? a 2002 model? Overall, the owners of this model rolla, any major problems with it? Cos i had a rental of them... in auto cos someone smashed my car... went pretty good...
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: ZZE122R Corolla or N15 SSS S2 Sun, 10 April 2005 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you wanted to modify it the sss would be better with the SR20, not much point working the 100kw corolla engine unless you gonna spend bigger bucks on the supercharger kit.
ssstylin
Occasional Poster

April 2005

Re: ZZE122R Corolla or N15 SSS S2 Mon, 11 April 2005 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmm true that... how many kw/nm you reckon i could get outta the engine... with a cool air intake, extractors and full exhaust? maybe a chip too...
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: ZZE122R Corolla or N15 SSS S2 Mon, 11 April 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my sis's boyfriend had an N14 with extractors exhaust intake but not chip and it had around 125kw it was pretty quick.
They have 179Nm of torque stock, but you have to remeber when modifying a NA engine you are never really going to gains lots of torque in some cases it can actually be reduced.
Take a look at Vtec versus non Vtec integras, almost identical torque but power differs by 20-30 kw.
ssstylin
Occasional Poster

April 2005

Re: ZZE122R Corolla or N15 SSS S2 Mon, 11 April 2005 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmm so you reckon no point in modding a rolla, cos i wont get much more power out of it anyway eh? i'd buy a Sportivo, but i haven't got enough cash for it!
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: ZZE122R Corolla or N15 SSS S2 Mon, 11 April 2005 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am saying you can get more power but not much more torque when modding a na engine and that the 100kw toyota corolla engine also has a head designed for economy not for power so its not worth modding for power really. There are some sportivos for as low as 24K now.
ssstylin
Occasional Poster

April 2005

Re: ZZE122R Corolla or N15 SSS S2 Mon, 11 April 2005 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah cos i don't really want to race the car... i mean 100kw is really enough for me, cos im used to my 1984 Rolla 1.6L 3spd Auto... haha!
I was mainly just wanting to lower it, put some wheels on it, eye lids and give it a nice tone... i want a cruiser, not a racer.

btw, im trying to insert an image from my computer to this msg, but i dont know how. Sad
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: ZZE122R Corolla or N15 SSS S2 Mon, 11 April 2005 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you have to host the image first somewhere like www.imageshack.us is easy and quick.
ssstylin
Occasional Poster

April 2005

icon14.gif  Re: ZZE122R Corolla or N15 SSS S2 Mon, 11 April 2005 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So you reckon that'd go ok? Does anyone know of someone doing up a ZZE122R Corolla with extractors and an exhaust? I would love to hear of the performance difference. Very Happy
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: ZZE122R Corolla or N15 SSS S2 Mon, 11 April 2005 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
100kw is not a lot when you consider the car weighs around 1100-1200kg and then you got passenger luggage etc.
ssstylin
Occasional Poster

April 2005

Re: ZZE122R Corolla or N15 SSS S2 Mon, 11 April 2005 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmm... true that. But I reckon i'd just go the Conquest. Sucks how only the front windows are electric. Got any idea if its possible to make the back ones electic as well? and the price?
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: ZZE122R Corolla or N15 SSS S2 Mon, 11 April 2005 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ssstylin wrote on Mon, 11 April 2005 14:10

mmm... true that. But I reckon i'd just go the Conquest. Sucks how only the front windows are electric. Got any idea if its possible to make the back ones electic as well? and the price?

The model update (think it was May '03) saw the Conquest get all power windows, I know mine does (built in June '03). So yeah they are available though I don't know how much it would cost to get them retro fitted to an older model.

The 100Kw 1ZZ-FE engine is great, sure it's no sports car but once the VVTi kicks in ~ 3000 rpm they rev pretty quickly up to the (damn!) limiter. Pretty decent torque for a smaller engine aswell i.e. they pull pretty well from low RPM. And the fuel economy is awesome, with a bit of heavy driving and using the A/C I still get sub 7L per 100k's.

I haven't done much to mine 'cause i'm still under warranty but if you're from Sydney check out Penrith Toyota.

[Updated on: Mon, 11 April 2005 10:56]

ssstylin
Occasional Poster

April 2005

Re: ZZE122R Corolla or N15 SSS S2 Mon, 11 April 2005 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey thanks for the link! I think I might just get a Conquest, I can't afford the later model though. What are the differences between the Ascent and Conquest? Just Abs and power windows?
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: ZZE122R Corolla or N15 SSS S2 Mon, 11 April 2005 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Off the top of my head these are the main differences;

* ABS was an option in both the Ascent and the Conquest, make sure the ABS light comes on when you start the car.

* The Conquest comes with A/C as standard but it's an option on the Ascent.

* The Conquest has remote keyless entry as standard, again it was an option on the Ascent.

* The Conquest has dual airbags but I think the Ascent only has the drivers side airbag (not too sure on that so you might want to check it out).

* The Conquest has coloured mouldings (handles, side strips & mirrors) but the Ascent has black plastic.

* My Conquest came with the 15" 6 spoke alloys (like the Levin) but that was part of the model update, I think before that they had 15" steel rims.

* The Conquest interior is also a little nicer than the Ascent, more front seat padding etc.

EDIT: Forgot to add, whichever model you choose I urge you to buy a manual! Much more fun to drive Very Happy

[Updated on: Mon, 11 April 2005 14:03]

ssstylin
Occasional Poster

April 2005

Re: ZZE122R Corolla or N15 SSS S2 Mon, 11 April 2005 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha! thanks conquest! obviously i'd buy a manual! how many km should i be looking at? 70,000 too many?

Have you found any problems with yours? Like things just breaking like the commo's? Rolling Eyes
ssstylin
Occasional Poster

April 2005

Re: ZZE122R Corolla or N15 SSS S2 Tue, 12 April 2005 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just want to know, if i was to add a supercharger/turbo onto it, what would be better? how much would it cost to get it all done? And how much more power would I get?
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: ZZE122R Corolla or N15 SSS S2 Wed, 13 April 2005 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
First of all, check the age of the car. If it's a 2001/early 2002 model then 70,000k's isn't too bad (about 15-20,000 per year is average) and we all know Corollas usually go forever unless they've been badly treated.

To answer your second question - I haven't had a single problem in the two years i've owned the car. I'm just about to clock over 30,000k's and apart from the 6 monthly services I haven't had any extra work done to the car.

Supercharging or turbocharging is probably a matter of personal preference and budget. Supercharging will give you more low down power while turbocharging will help the top end power. The advantage of supercharging is that there is already a TRD kit designed for the car, while turbocharging will require alot of custom work.

From what i've seen and read on this site the TRD kit costs around $6k supplied and fitted. Adding an additional ECU & dyno tuning the car will cost a further $1k (not sure if this is required since the kit also includes a new ECU but I guess it's a matter of personal preference).

Turbocharging will cost alot more, other people have quoted estimates up to $10k. Turbocharging the engine requires new pistons to lower the compression, custom manifold etc and basically it's alot more work than the bolt-on supercharger. However I think a turbocharged 1ZZ-FE would make a pretty awesome engine...
ssstylin
Occasional Poster

April 2005

Re: ZZE122R Corolla or N15 SSS S2 Thu, 14 April 2005 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmm... all sounds good... but how about the power diff? Rolling Eyes
ssstylin
Occasional Poster

April 2005

Re: ZZE122R Corolla or N15 SSS S2 Sun, 17 April 2005 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmm... i'm assuming no one knows then... Confused
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ZZE122R Corolla or N15 SSS S2 Tue, 19 April 2005 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ssstylin wrote on Fri, 15 April 2005 07:37

.. but how about the power diff? Rolling Eyes

WTF Dude ?

What have you heard about it ?
Do you mean LSD ?
ssstylin
Occasional Poster

April 2005

Re: ZZE122R Corolla or N15 SSS S2 Tue, 19 April 2005 04:46 Go to previous message
power DIFFERENCE... Laughing
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Thanks to the Toymods Guys Tonight
Next Topic:DRIFT AUSTRALIA Round 2 Mallala *Results*
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 14:59:34 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0096659660339355 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.