Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

R.I.P RA23 Celica Mon, 09 December 2002 01:24 Go to next message
5th of December, not my best day not only was i on my way home after spending 1 1/2 weeks in Tassie where i clocked up 3,500km of driving but heading home as i live in Berowra and fires are getting extreemly close to my house, 5:15pm just get into Sydney only another 40min of driving to go and what happens? i rear end a 6 month old Corolla Conquest.

driving along thick traffic i'm in the middle lane about 2-3 car lengths behind the Corolla then we are coming towards a set of traffic lights and just as we are about to get to the set of lights the lights switch to orange. at which time the Corolla decides to jam the breaks on at which time i am looking at the lights to acknoledge that they have gone orange but do not worry as i am that close to the lights i am able to drive through them yet i then look forward again and see that the corolla has stopped in which there is about 1 car space left between us, wheels lock up and slide right into the back of it.

next thing i notice is my bonnet is bent up.

in short i know no matter how you look at it i'm at fault as i am the one who ran up the back of the car but they hit the breaks as soon as the lights went orange where i feel she should have gone through the lights as thats what orange means "stop if safe to do so" and i simple discovered my 76 model celica doesn't have the same breaking power as the brand new Corolla does.

and you could tell she had slammed the breaks on as at the time of impact her car did not move forward at all which shows she still had her foot flat on the brake.

anyway lucky my car still started and could move over to the side of the road where we exchanged details and could drive the rest of the way home. still to take my car to get quoted and hopefully is classed as a write off so i can collect my $3,200 thats after the excess has been taken off.

not sure if this typing makes sense as my brain is still confused and its heard to believe i crashed my car as i still get a shock when i look out the front and see the cumbled front end but i don't think its always the the person's fault who rear ends someone, sure its partly my fault as i should have expected she could have been someone who would jam there breaks on once the light goes orange but again its partly her fault as it does say in the road rules that you can go through the orange light if it is unsafe to stop and in this case it was unsafe to stop as my car can't stop as quickly as a brand new car plus having the boot and back seat full of bags would have made it even harder to stop.

anyway i'll shut up now and just thought i'd let you know about the incident, and remind you all that you have to be 100% aware as you don't always know what the person in front of you is about to do. and as for that thresh-hold braking, when your about to run up the back of someone that knoledge goes right out of your mind Rolling Eyes

i'll try and get some photo's of the car up soon and watch out in the for sale section as there may be a few parts coming up for sale.
  Send a private message to this user    
Remedy
Regular

August 2002

Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Mon, 09 December 2002 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My Sympathy goes out to you....

however, it sounds like you were completely at fault in this situation. Regardless of the state of the traffic lights you should alwasy keep enough distance between your car and the one infront.

From the sounds of things you are aware that your car doesn't stop as well as a new corolla and so you should have compensated for this.

It would be nice if the corolla had realised you were not able to stop and had run the orange light but they had every right to stop as it is your responsibility to leave a safe gap.

I really don't want to come across the wrong way here. Its a real shame that your car has been damaged and I hope that everything works out ok with your insurance.

Hopefully people will read this thread and remember to leave a safe stopping distance infront of them.

They don't teach a 3 second rule to learners for nothing... and really if you do the maths even 3 seconds isn't really enough at speeds over 60km/h.
ra23celicachick
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Mon, 09 December 2002 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One less Celica, that is so sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad

I suppose the main thing is you're ok, but the poor Celica. I know how upsetting it is to loose a car. I've been in a few accidents myself but lucky I've still got my Celicas.
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
icon12.gif  Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Mon, 09 December 2002 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OH, no way man, i always used to see you cruising through hornsby. what a shame. if it does ge writen of, will you buy another one?????????/
JUZZO
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Mon, 09 December 2002 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spewing man!!!

first joels! then yours and nearly mine

last week was not a good week for the celicas!!!
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Mon, 09 December 2002 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bad luck man...

Do you reckon it will be written off???
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Mon, 09 December 2002 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Think i will pass on another Celica, want a car with no or extreamly little rust, and something that uses no fuel, then after i'm working full time i will save up and buy something a little more decent. so any idea's on some good little cars that use no fuel but still have a bit of go for around $2,000?

and whats this about joels? don't tell thats been crashed Crying or Very Sad
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Mon, 09 December 2002 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How about a Daihatsu Cuore Laughing Laughing Laughing ...
St3ve_AE92
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Mon, 09 December 2002 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GIN51E, heres Joel's thead...

http://www.toymods.org.au/msgboard/index.php?t=msg &th=7281&start=0&rid=139&S=b1f6973 4de61525452b1369454c53b7b
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Mon, 09 December 2002 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah man, some old dude stacked into me last thursday. Not as bad as yours (in terms of panel damage), & it was the other guys fault, so it might not end up too bad.

Heaps sorry to hear about yours though, glad you're ok.
Just remeber why we drive around old cheap cars, we're meant to crash them, as long as we don't do it too bad & LEARN something from the experience.
By the time we can afford really expensive cars we'll have plenty of experience & won't make the same mistakes..
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Mon, 09 December 2002 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
then we can drive our expensive cars watching out for the latest hoons in their shitboxes Smiley =
Snyper
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Mon, 09 December 2002 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, just my little peice of info...
firstly, sorry to hear about your accident.....
secondly....I don't know about the eastern states but..... here in SA it is actually illegal to go through an orange light ! I found this out one day and copped a $300 fine and loss of 3 points too, it's the same as goin through a red light apparently.... now the sucky thing about this was I wasn't the last one through the orange light either.
another story on this is a friend was driving, went through orange light, got pulled over and warned about it...... then he took off, and not even 2 minutes later the next set of lights went orange and he hit the brakes pulled up and then got hit from behind by the cop that just pulled him over and warned him.....
anyway sorry to hear bout your celica mate.

Brendon
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Mon, 09 December 2002 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well i reckon it would be a write off as the front bumper is bent in and cracked, radiator has been moved back a bit, front left guard is squashed at the front and buckled out at the wheel arch, right guard seems fine but bonnet is bent also so i'm pretty sure it would be classed as a write off. anyway might be a good thing, i get more money then i would if i sold it, its got bad rust coming back through which i would have to cut out, diff mount needs fixing, and the synchro for 2nd gear is stuffed so i think its a good thing its a write off, but i must admit it looks pretty mean from the front. has an angry look on its face Laughing i've already stripped all the seat covers floor mats and so forth out of it so all NRMA is going to get is a dodgy standard Celica although i would like my $70 chrome tip and my weber's off it.

Anyway, had lots of fun in the beast and got my money's worth out of it so now its time for a small car i can thrash around until i save up for my next pride and joy,
Thinking along the lines of a Colt or Charade, something which uses no fuel as mine. As the Celica got 180Km's off a Tank in full City driving, 280km's driving around Hornsby and $400 on the freeway so i think if i get a car that uses no fuel i'll be saving alot more money Very Happy

But it sure freaks you out, everytime i see a car's brake lights i freak out a little Razz

Anyway its all a learning curve and just lucky it wasn't a huge impact as i had my girl friend in the car also.

Also anyone know what i do about keeping my number plates if its classed as a write off? do i have to go to the RTA and swap the plates or do i just take them off the car and keep them?
St3ve_AE92
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Mon, 09 December 2002 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What was the condition of the rear end of the rolla??

btw Snyper, funny story kinda about the cop crashing into the back of that car.
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Mon, 09 December 2002 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looked like it was just the rear bumper was pushed in and the left brake light had popped out a little boot was fine and everything, got photo's so once i get someone to scan them for me i'll put them up on the site.

thinking of going for a 1990 Charade 1L 5spd Laughing 38Kw of grunt and 70Nm of Torque lol big difference in fuel consumption but would use about 75% less in fuel then mine, if i get it i might update the engine to the 1.4L EFI engine for a little more fun.
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Mon, 09 December 2002 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I spose a Daihatsu would still be acceptable seeing as it's basically a Toyota, just in cheap form...
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Mon, 09 December 2002 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont wanna sound cold hearted but if ya part ya car out let me know

once again what a shame, 1 less silicar on the road
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Mon, 09 December 2002 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i can't really strip it as it has to go to NRMA but i have taken the towbar off so that will be up for sale.
Esteban
Regular

June 2002
Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Mon, 09 December 2002 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, not that I can distract from the fact that, sadly, this accident is entirely your fault in the eyes of the law, I point out that it is probably yet again, the result of legislation geared wholely and solely towards revenue raising.

The Orange light is there for a reason, to prevent exactly this occurance! Fining drivers for 'running' the orange renders the light completely impotent, as now it is in the public conscience, everyone emergency brakes for the orange light!

Terribly sorry for you, and your RA23. I hope you dont end up too far out of pocket, and that your next car can be at least as much fun Smile

Esteban
ra23celicachick
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Tue, 10 December 2002 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got my license 2.5 years ago and I was told Orange was stop if it was safe to do so.

Also I was taught that you should look in your rear view mirror before breaking to check that it's safe to break. (Stupid, I know)
RA23_Sean
Regular

May 2002

Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Tue, 10 December 2002 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ginsie, sorry to hear about the stack man. At least you've got insurance though. I bet almost anything short of an 8 would have better fuel economy that your webered R-C. My 300ZX gets about 550-600ks out of a 72L tank in dodgy traffic.

And what's doing with the orange being illegal to go through in SA? Why have oranges if you can't use them?
mrsmart
Regular

October 2002
Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Tue, 10 December 2002 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm pretty sure all road rules are uniform across the nation. Some places have special rules for special circumstances, like Melbourne with it's trams, but that is merely an addition to the national road rules that are already in place.
Malicia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Tue, 10 December 2002 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm sorry to hear about your car, your r-c was an ispiration for all of us who still have them... But all good things must come to an end right??

When I was having driving lessons the sit-in instructor/watcher guy said that its better to go through an orange and try beat the red rather than stop as this is the sort of thing that can happen... And he also said your supposed to check your mirror to make sure its safe to stop.
alwaysRA23
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Tue, 10 December 2002 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry to hear bout your car dude.. it sucks i know

i also stacked my RA23 last week... on thursday,
my crash was fully my fault tho. and im gunna be payin thru my ass because i have no insurance..

but luckly my car is in the shop right now getting fixed up.
so hopefully they wont do toooo much of a dogdy job,, bastards

i still reckon u need to get another RA23.. i need someone else to run an 18RC! lol so i dont feel to bad Very Happy

either way, its good to see no one was injured
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Tue, 10 December 2002 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well all things come to an end and i have to face that and plan on moving on, when i'm making more money i may move back to Celica's i'm not sure depends if i found one i couldn't resist buying, i just don't want to be cutting rust out on anything for a while, got my sights on a 95 model Charade then i may save up and buy myself another car but just use the charade for driving around in and maybe do up another Celica,

car goes into smash repairs today, he reckons it will be a write off but we will soon find out.

if it is keep your eye's open for any NRMA auctions might be worth getting it if its cheap enough just to take the Weber's off it and exhaust System. as the exhaust system is only about 4 months old.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Tue, 10 December 2002 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin, please save yourself fromt he death box that is diahatsu. If you were to have had that same acco in a dia... you would porbably have shattered knee caps! i have seen some UGLY things happen to dihatsu's in small accidents! Sad

better off getting yourself a KE70, or AE70 (4K or 4a-c). These puppies are common as the cold, cheap as chips, run on an oilly rag, and have the ability to be 4AG equipped for a nice little sleeper, still a Toyota, safer than a dihatsu and actually a decent car! Worth a look in my book mate. If i were to purchase a $2k shitter.. it gets my vote! (RWD TOO!!!)
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Wed, 11 December 2002 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GIN51E,

Sorry to hear about the acco mate. Gotta Agree about those friggin Dihatsu's tho. I had a Mighty Boy rear end an Old TA22 of mine on Epping road once.

Mongrel was on his mobile and never even hit the brakes. Slammed right up my arse at 80KPH ! Mind you Next to No damage to my car Smile

His Car on the other hand bent to the back of the front doors and he had to climb out the window Twisted Evil !

Bastard had a Fake Licence tho so In the end I got kinda screwed so its a good thing the car looked OK.

The Guy I sold it to Backed Straight into the front of his Girlfriends car out the front of my House when he picked it up Anyway ! Idiot wasn't used to a manual and put it in Reverse instead of First ! (Go Figure) He planted it to get into the traffic and the 4AGE rored to life spun the tires and embedded the Celica into the Laser Behind it ! I couldn't watch so went inside ! Sad
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Wed, 11 December 2002 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought a Charade would just bounce off anything it hit Laughing

anyway got one last drive of it and then got a call saying its been marked as a write off, went around and picked up my plates and i must say its weird driving off and knowing thats the last time i'm going to see it, anyway it looks like a piece of crap inside as i striped its guts out even took the gear knob as it alone was worth $45 and stuck on a deoderant cap Laughing

anyway i'll be told when its going up for auction so i'll let you guys know as it might be worth getting if you want a lumpy cam, webers, extractors and full 2" exhaust system ect.

anyway we will just have to wait and see what my next Toyota will be hopefully the 90 model GT4 still has my name on it Very Happy

little Tip to anyone out there that crashes there car, its not the end of the world Smile
cam_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
haha, funny little head!
Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Wed, 11 December 2002 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DAMN Sad i was gonna come and check out you're celica while you were down in tassie but didn't get a chance. owell, what did you end up doing in hobart?
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Wed, 11 December 2002 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ummm not a great deal, went into Hobart one Saturday night and far out its P plater central Laughing

just drove to port arthur, mt wellington ect just the usual tourst stuff.

but i love the roads down there best roads i've ever seen. drove around the Targa stage at the Domain about a thousand times Razz its a good road but pretty rough also.

But it won't be the last time i go down there. Question is what car will i be in next? Hopefully my Yellow GTS Coupe Very Happy
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
icon4.gif  Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Thu, 12 December 2002 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heya martin,
i saw your car outside asquith smash repairs, is it getting repaired or is it written off???
what happened to the plates.
JUZZO
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Thu, 12 December 2002 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its written off, and got the plates sitting on the Table in the kitchen.

Now i have to sit back and wait for my money and i have no idea how long thats going to take Rolling Eyes
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Fri, 13 December 2002 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from memory martin there is stuff YOU have to do to write off a car. Eg: cancel your rego, then your greenslip, then hand those refund documents over to your insurer to get your value of car minus excess given to you.
This is what i had to do with NRMA a few years back when i wrote off a car. So check with your insurer cos the c**nts didnt tell me i had to do anything until 2 months later when i asked where my cheque was!!
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Fri, 13 December 2002 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm ok good to know thanks mate, i'll let my dad know about that as the car is in his name and all.

GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Thu, 02 January 2003 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well i got myself a new car now, its a 1993 5 door Charade metalic blue with a 1.3L 4 cylinder EFI car, and NO LONGER Insured with NRMA.

Well i got a phone call from NRMA saying that they were no longer going to pay me the $4,000 for the car as it had rust and hail damage which i had not told them about, well after a bit of arguing and saying that it has no hail damage and the lady at the other end of the phone saying that she has the photo's to prove it he sayed that she would make a deal and pay me $2,000.

Not happy with that i told her i would call her back and made a phone call to the smash repair place and told them what was going on and he said to tell them to get stuffed and not to give in to them and to quoet to them that he is a trained assesor and he did not notice any hail damage on the car and only minimal rust which was not located anywhere near the accident damage,

having this under my sleeve i called the lady at NRMA back and talked to her for about 20min with her trying to fight me the whole time saying that there was hail damage and she had photo's in front of her to prove it and claiming there was $800 worth of rust in the car which somehow she managed to work out by simply looking at photo's, at this point i have lost my temper and start to go off at her over the phone and tell her she can jam the $2,000 up her arse as i am prepaired to take this further and put it forward to the NRMA head office which at the time she suddenly changed her attitude and said "Well under the circumstances we will pay you the $4,000 which the car was insured for"

fuck i hate NRMA now, just trying to screw you over and i wonder how many people don't stand up for themself and get screwed, car was insured for $4,000 and that was the agreed value so there was no way they were going to get out of paying me that $4,000 but my word did they try.

I'm still a member of NRMA road side assistance as they are fantastic and great people but there's no way in hell i will ever insure my car or anything with them again, put simply they are a pack of arseholes which screw you with high premiums and are more then happy to take your money to insure your car but once it comes time for them to pay up they try and screw you over.

anyway my tip to you is if you ever write your car off make sure you get the agreed value your car was insured for and don't let them try and lower the value in anyway.

fucking NRMA insurance Mad
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Thu, 02 January 2003 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good work Martin

not many ppl would do what u did

Nice

Is this possibly the charade i told u about ?
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Thu, 02 January 2003 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No i got this Charade at the Holden Dealership at Gosford, its the new shape Charade, in perfect condition the interior is like new and it only at 102,000km on it and has just had its major 100,000Km service done, has good power but no torque which just takes a bit to get used to as the celica had twice the amount of torque so i have to change my gear changing styles but the engine sure does like to rev and it revs up at 7grand without a problem and enjoys it.

it was advertised for $6,990 but got them down to $5,500

with new front tyres as well. Very Happy

and they are still made by Toyota so i can still be in this group Smile
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Thu, 02 January 2003 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK sweet

Is this a temp car or the new project ???

Ta
Mani
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Thu, 02 January 2003 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well i planned on just keeping it standard and not wasting my money in doing it up but hey you never know as i already have a print out of MRT Performance parts list for the charade. Laughing
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Thu, 02 January 2003 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just thought I'd add my two cents.
I am totally sure that going through an orange light has never been illegal in S.A. The rule of the orange light is to stop if it is safe to do so...(I wish they'd take the part about "if it's safe to do so" more seriously though)
Another thing. 2-3 car lengths gap from rear bumper to front bumper is probably about 15 metres at 60km/h. Which equates to approximately .9 of a second. Reaction time given you are paying complete 100% attention to their rear brake lights (visual movement is actually one of our slower reactionary senses) is about a third of a second leaving you .6 of a second to reduce your speed from 60 to zero. Obviously this maths is crap because they don't instantly stop infront of you, but you kind of get the picture. 2 - 3 car lengths is very little safety gap.
However stopping in this circumstance turns out to be rather easy when you slam the car in front of you Smile
It's a pain when this happens, and unfortunately I think rear-ending is the only type of accident where there is no contributory negligence on the part of the car infront.
And it defintely sucks to lose another Celica Sad
Live and learn is my motto!
CamZH
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Fri, 03 January 2003 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Ginsie!
its sure is a damn shame to hear about your Celica...
I'm moving upto Berowra soon, so i was kinda hoping for a Berowra Celica gang Razz

As far as safe gaps go, is there such a thing??
I drive like grandpa and i leave huge gaps!
but people always merge in infront of me leave no gap! do these people have no fucking brains??

And as for your story with the NRMA, i dont think they are any different to any other insurer.
I ran up the back of a 323 in my fairlane (not my fault as she pulled out in front of me) and they said my car is only worth $2600 as thats what the book says for an ave cond. fairlane.
Fair enough. but then they try and talk me down, saying there is rust here, the pain has crept a little here...
so i give the man my fuck you look Twisted Evil and get in the car and drive off...
i dont think the people at AAMI are used to big old V8's and everyone looked as i drove off Rolling Eyes
So i agree insurance companies suck!!
atleast i got a cheque for $2000 and got the car. only had a broken pair of head lights and some slight pannel damage.

but dont get me started on green slips Freak !!

CamZH
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Fri, 03 January 2003 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

As far as safe gaps go, is there such a thing??
I drive like grandpa and i leave huge gaps!
but people always merge in infront of me leave no gap! do these people have no fucking brains??

I *REALLY* hope you don't mean that there is no point in leaving a safe gap, because the fact that every other moron fills up the gap doesn't justify not leaving a gap in the first place. It's because of this mentality that there are no gaps anywhere all the time and 30% of accidents are rear enders when it shouldn't be anywhere near that much.
If someone does cut into your gap, just slow down a tad until it's a decent gap again, it's not that hard. The only place where you are supposed to be concerned about a second or two lost here or there to traffic is on the race track, not on the road.
chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Fri, 03 January 2003 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4 grand for an average ra23 with some rust....geez you did alright - but you know damn well that it wasnt worth that much..
anyway good for you mate.!!

just a question - why did you spend so much on a charade? as someone else mentioned you could have bought a ke70 and chucked a 4ag in it for heaps less than that - and the car is still economical ( mine gets 9L/100 on average city)...

hope you work the shit out of it(charade) and show those commodore drivers what a modern small car can do..from only 1.3 litres when they need at least 3.8..
CamZH
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Fri, 03 January 2003 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey FWDboy,
i do think its important to leave a safe gap...
i drive a KR40 most of the time, and stoppings not one its great points...
neither is going...

So yeah i do leave a gap once mine has been reduced, but it still pisses me off.

what freaks me out is the way people drive up the F3...
its not Pennant Hill Rd people!!
you are now moving at 100+km/h!
and bad things happen at those speeds...
crazy bastards Smile
those big 4x4's freak me out too!!

CamZH
theres at least a dollar worth there Razz
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Sat, 04 January 2003 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
main reason i went for a new Charade was i wanted a car that i didn't have to work on all the time and not have to worry about rust ect...

If i was to sell the Celica i'd be lucky to get about $2,000-2,500 but the whole point was they set it up as being $4000 and if thats what the agreed value was on it then thats what i'm bloody getting for it.

also safe gap or no gap there is still going to be rear enders, as its not always to do with the gap between the cars but mostly the condition of your brain, drove down to tasmania land of no traffic then coming back stopped off at Albury for the night then drove to Sydney so my brain was probably a little tired from the drive plus not used to driving in any sort of traffic as i'd been away for so long and the bush fires were just on the other side of the valley to where my house was so my concentration level probably wasn't as good as it should have been, i put it down to a so called "accident" i wasn't driving stupid, i was in no hurry and so forth so i feel it was just one of those things that happen, everyone is going to make a mistake some time while driving and that was my one and hopefully the last one.

And i can still show off a few commo drivers in the corners as an 820Kg car sure grips and handles well Very Happy

first mod will be a Groupe A rally air intake, which gives it some nice induction noise at high revs and gives it about a 3-5% power boost, but i don't currently have $200 to spare firstly i have to pay off all my credit cards and other depts Rolling Eyes
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Sun, 05 January 2003 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDboy. In sydney if you leave a gap and then slow down a little more when someone pulls in you would end up taking 45minutes to go up the street for milk, Sydney drivers suck... they take ANY gap they can and drive way to close even at extreme speeds.. 130 on the highway out to penrith and your still bound to have someone 2-3 car lengths behind.
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: R.I.P RA23 Celica Tue, 14 January 2003 10:28 Go to previous message
well i found my car, its out at Pick'n payless and i can tell you this, its weird going out to a wreckers you have usually bean to and find your own car there, not much on it you can get as i stripped all the good stuff out of it like steering wheel ect and whats been left in there has now been broken by people, although the full exhaust system is still on it and the cam, new dizzy cap ect.

but i sat in it for one last time admired the paint work on it as i forgot how bright it was it sure is the brightest car out there, then went back to a friends place and watched a video of my car doing lime lockers and circle work ect and got the urge to get another celica again Very Happy but i'll just have to restrain myself,

its still got its steel mag wheels on it with good tyres if your just after some burnout tyres or something, anyway if you go out there have a look for it Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Acid Rain?
Next Topic:Best Brand of Tools?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 11:59:39 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0071117877960205 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.