Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » What to grab from half cut?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

What to grab from half cut? Fri, 08 April 2005 04:04 Go to next message
Hey all,

I intend to swap a 3rd gen 3SGE from an ST202 half cut into my ST162. I have actually located a half cut, but the guy doesn't want to sell it complete but will part it out to me. This suits me fine because then I won't be left with all the parts I didn't use, as well as half a car frame to get rid of as well.

However, I do want to make sure that I get EVERYTHING I need from the cut to do the swap properly. Off the top of my head, I have thought of the following:

Engine/gearbox/mounts
ECU
Engine harness
Air filter box
Throttle cable
Fuse box(es) - not exactly sure which one(s) I'll need though?

I'm hoping I can use my ST162 alternator (because it's fairly new) - would the ST202 one be more suitable? Also hoping that the ST162 aircon compressor can be bolted onto this engine, and all the current a/c piping etc used as well - would make things a lot simpler.

So if you have experience with conversions and can identify anything else I should make sure I get please let me know, since I won't just be able to walk over to the cut during the conversion and grab something as I need it. Would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Matt
  Send a private message to this user    
acreese
Regular

May 2004
Re: What to grab from half cut? Fri, 08 April 2005 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can you fit the ST202 Dash into the ST162? Would simplify dash wiring with new ECU.
Also grab the gear shifter (complete) - this makes for a simple short shifter mod for the ST162 (30% or so < throw)

Also,
may be worth grabbing the brakes too..

-Adam
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: What to grab from half cut? Fri, 08 April 2005 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice get! Been calling around down here in Vic and cant find one for an affordable price.

If I were you I'd grab everything even if you're not sure you'll need it - parts will be hard to come by later.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: What to grab from half cut? Fri, 08 April 2005 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the dash wont fit i dont think

ur alternator etc will probly fit but not 100%
a162 alternator/ a/c fits onto a 185 3sgte..
not the same engine but could work
you probly will use the 162 fuse box's and wire the engine harness into that... if you have a looka t ur 162 fusebox some of the engine harness comes over to give power to other areas... it should be just a case of wiring that in with the new harness...

[Updated on: Fri, 08 April 2005 22:35]

berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: What to grab from half cut? Fri, 08 April 2005 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why dont he want to sell the whole things wen everything valuable will be gone ecept for brakes etc... ? how much is it costing u?
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What to grab from half cut? Sat, 09 April 2005 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
by the sounds of it your not going to be doing the work yourself??? best bet would be to take everything down to your workshop get em to swap over everything they can (basically everything out of the st202 is going to be better than the stuff in your st162) providing it all fits then give the guy back whats left if he REALLY wants to hang onto it. that way you dont miss out on some of the all importants u might not need.
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: What to grab from half cut? Sat, 09 April 2005 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was talking to Matt from toyospares today, he reckons that the ST202 gearbox and driveshafts wont fit into a ST162 and that we'd be better off getting a '182 or '184 gearbox and driveshaft combo for a straight in swap. You're gonna kick me, looks like I may be doing a very similar upgrade in the near future. Rolling Eyes
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: What to grab from half cut? Sat, 09 April 2005 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buy the gearbox anyway if u cant use it someone will be in need of a gearbox for that generation. if its a "s" series engine it should fit but im not 100% sure
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: What to grab from half cut? Sun, 10 April 2005 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pm rob_st162 im pretty sure he has an st202 beams LSD gearbox in his car, im not sure if it bolted straght up to the crossmember but i dont think it have him too many hassels
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: What to grab from half cut? Sun, 10 April 2005 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The box will fit, but the driveshafts on the '202 are thicker and wont fit into the '162 hubs. I suppose you can make it fit if you really wanted but it would cost you more for a minimal gain.
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: What to grab from half cut? Sun, 10 April 2005 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Although that minimal gain will be a very fresh gbox compared to what we have and with that it has double synchros so no more crunching, especialy with that extra power.

You're right about the driveshafts, but as it is an 's' series it will bolt up.The starter has to be moved(read;make custom bracket and drill) and the crossmember has to be taken to with a hammer. Its worth it to get it guys.
matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: What to grab from half cut? Mon, 11 April 2005 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the replies guys.

The seller doesn't want to sell the whole thing because there are bits and pieces that I won't use that he reckons he can make money off instead. (For example I know the radiator won't fit, and of course he can sell panels, bumper, front spoiler, etc.) Plus I can keep the cost down if I only buy what I need (particularly if I can use the current p/s pump, a/c compressor and alternator) and it saves me having to flog stuff off later.

Adam - great idea about the short shifter, I'll definitely keep that in mind.

No I don't think the dash (or even gauge cluster) will fit, and even if it did I wouldn't want to go to all the bother of getting the old one out!

I asked RobST162 a while back about his ST202 gearbox and he assures me it went in with no dramas. He told me that you can use the 162 driveshafts, his slid right in with no probs at all. He never mentioned any hassles with the crossmember either.

I do know that this swap is possible, check this car below, it belongs to a member of the celicatech forums:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/770872

I have been in touch with him already and he has given me a couple of pointers about the swap. Needless to say I'll be picking his brain a fair bit!

-Matt
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: What to grab from half cut? Mon, 11 April 2005 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
StuC wrote on Sun, 10 April 2005 15:50

You're right about the driveshafts, but as it is an 's' series it will bolt up.The starter has to be moved(read;make custom bracket and drill) and the crossmember has to be taken to with a hammer. Its worth it to get it guys.

I'm confused, If you use a '202 or '182 box on the back of a gen 3 why would you need to move the starter? Isn't it in the right place anyway?
matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: What to grab from half cut? Mon, 11 April 2005 06:38 Go to previous message
On an ST162 the starter motor is located underneath the exhaust manifold. Later s-series gearboxes (such as those on 202s and 182s) have switched the position of the starter so it faces the other way. According to Rob it is a snug fit, but there is indeed enough room there for it.

Here's a pic of the ST202 box (which I believe is an S54) in Rob's car:

http://img48.exs.cx/img48/1479/bay1.jpg

You can see the starter in between the radiator hose and the positive terminal of the battery.

Oh, and Rob did mention in his thread in the Member's Rides section that he had to give his N-S crossmember a whack to get the gearbox in there - my bad. Doesn't sound like you have to move it far to get the box in though.

-Matt

PS - where is Rob anyway?? I would have thought he would have chimed in on this thread by now...... Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE101 digital dash -> AE101 Analog dash loom????
Next Topic:question about my new ZE sprinter
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 10:52:20 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0066409111022949 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.