Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ma70king
Occasional Poster

May 2003
MX83 Boost Gauge Install Fri, 08 April 2005 04:18 Go to next message
Hey all, just thought you may like this Boost Gauge install I did in my 89 MX83 Cressida with 1JZGTE conversion.

To retain the sleeper look by not mounting it on the 'A' pillar, my turbo timer has a clock in it, so I didnt need the factory clock anymore. I think it came up well.

It was a very easy install, I didnt have to pull apart much of the dash either.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y121/clayton_lehmann/boostg1.jpg
  Send a private message to this user    
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: MX83 Boost Gauge Install Fri, 08 April 2005 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very nice!

You'll have to paint the white plastic casing of the boost gauge black now, so it blends with the interior better.

To have even more of a sleeper look!
ma70king
Occasional Poster

May 2003
Re: MX83 Boost Gauge Install Fri, 08 April 2005 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, yeah i know, but I already had the boost gauge from my MA70 Supra and it was just sitting around. If I didnt have one already I would have got a black one, and if I was a millionaire I think I would have got a Defi gauge (Mmmmmmmmm Defi gauge). Very Happy
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: MX83 Boost Gauge Install Fri, 08 April 2005 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not bad Smile i've also mounted my guage in stealthy position.

P.S i wish i had a full tank of fuel like you Razz
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MX83 Boost Gauge Install Fri, 08 April 2005 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I originally mounted my boost gauge in a low, stealthy position - but then I realised it was pointless because it was too far out of my line of sight to be visible when I actually need to see it. I now have a gauge on the A-pillar which sort of gives the game away, but at least I can see it now.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: MX83 Boost Gauge Install Fri, 08 April 2005 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd like to get a boost gauge on mine. But a digital one, so that it blends with the rest of the digital dash cluster in my soarer.

If not, then an analogue one installed in a position where it looks stock would be cool.

As it stands at the moment, i've got a tiny green led labelled TURBO that goes "bing!" and turns on when the turbos kick in.

Quite funny, really. Showed my friend who owns an S13 and he was laughin his ass off.

Then again, his turbo timer plays midi tunes so the joke's on him.
ma70king
Occasional Poster

May 2003
Re: MX83 Boost Gauge Install Fri, 08 April 2005 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a small steering wheel so I can see the boost gauge as easily as an 'A' Pillar mounted unit, I love it.
manmx83
Regular

July 2004
Re: MX83 Boost Gauge Install Fri, 08 April 2005 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine sits low on the steering column cover so it is low between tacho and speedo by line of site.therefore not obvious from outside car.MX83 dash lights in mine have green glow so swapped in a green bulb and wired it to the dash cluster dimmer so lighting adjusts with dash.Its the little things that make the difference.
ma70king
Occasional Poster

May 2003
Re: MX83 Boost Gauge Install Mon, 11 April 2005 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I wired mine up to the top controls for the radio controls (which evidently dont dim with the dash) but I dont mind to much.
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: MX83 Boost Gauge Install Mon, 11 April 2005 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in buffy (ma61), my gauge is mounted where the right hand speaker is- it sucks, you can't see it at all, its out of line of sight, it blows chunks,

Merudo wrote on Fri, 08 April 2005 15:23

I'd like to get a boost gauge on mine. But a digital one, so that it blends with the rest of the digital dash cluster in my soarer.

If not, then an analogue one installed in a position where it looks stock would be cool.

i had the exact same thoughts. when i swap the 7m and all gear into my white supra, i'm putting 2" gauges in the din position above the radio, for the stock look. all black gauges, etc. ill get pics when its done (a few weeks)

Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: MX83 Boost Gauge Install Mon, 11 April 2005 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sound good! when it's done, picsorban! Laughing

I may not worry about it at all though. i've got a 1337 fully sik hektik green LED labelled "TURBO" that goes "bing" and turns on whenever the turbos kick in.

Totally piks up da chix yo.
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: MX83 Boost Gauge Install Mon, 23 May 2005 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
old thread.. but at least im using the search function..

most generic type gauges like this have 3 wires, one for power, one for ground and one for lighting (when dash lighting is on)..

what wires did u splice to connect the gauge to?
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MX83 Boost Gauge Install Mon, 23 May 2005 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is what im doing...

before...

http://members.optusnet.com.au/ma71/10buckbleeder. MOV

After...

http://members.optusnet.com.au/ma71/gauges002sml.jpg

http://members.optusnet.com.au/ma71/gauges003sml.jpg

black paint to come...
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MX83 Boost Gauge Install Mon, 23 May 2005 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
norbie - what are the legalities regarding a-pillar mounting? I've heard as long as it doesn't impede line of sight it's fine, but other people say anything on the a-pillar is illegal...
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MX83 Boost Gauge Install Mon, 23 May 2005 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A-pillar is great in lock up car parks otherwise its begging for a brick'n'grab'n'run from your friendly local teen sphincter dweller or narcotic agents consumer

[Updated on: Mon, 23 May 2005 10:47]

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MX83 Boost Gauge Install Mon, 23 May 2005 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lucky I live in a reasonable area and work has a secure car park Smile
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: MX83 Boost Gauge Install Mon, 23 May 2005 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine is here:

http://ribfeast.no-ip.com/cressida/interior.jpg

Can't see it while driving though grrr!
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MX83 Boost Gauge Install Mon, 23 May 2005 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Mon, 23 May 2005 20:41

norbie - what are the legalities regarding a-pillar mounting? I've heard as long as it doesn't impede line of sight it's fine, but other people say anything on the a-pillar is illegal...

I've heard the same opinions but I don't know which is true. So far I haven't had any grief with the police, and I've been pulled over at least a couple of times since installing it.
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: MX83 Boost Gauge Install Wed, 25 May 2005 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan - what did you physically splice the wiring to though? which wires are you piggybacking the boost gauge off?
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: MX83 Boost Gauge Install Wed, 25 May 2005 01:48 Go to previous message
As far as i know anything that is mounted above the height of the steering wheel has to approved by an engineer because the object can become a hazard in accidents.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:POD with Heat Shield --- Still = Defect ?
Next Topic:4agze manifold
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 9 05:01:32 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068809986114502 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.