Toymods » Tech & Conversions » KE55 - XT130 strut conversion NON COILOVER

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
KE55 - XT130 strut conversion NON COILOVER Thu, 07 April 2005 12:44 Go to next message
now i know its been covered MANY MANY times in tech articles doing an XT130 coil over conversion, but i dont have the money to afford a coilover kit and ive herd that if u put the XT130 struts with lowered springs (about 2 inches) will make it sit at standard height, if i wanted to lower it would there be any advantage of shortening the struts (40mm - same as u would for a coilover conversion) and use ae92 strut inserts and a suitable spring combination. my main aim is so i can get bigger brakes and lower the front at the same time im not bothered if its not coilover fronts as i wont need to adjust the height.

thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: KE55 - XT130 strut conversion NON COILOVER any other options? Thu, 07 April 2005 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just remembered its illigal to cut struts and the main reason u use a coilover sleeve kit is to hide that, does anyone know of a shorter strut that ae86/xt130 type that would be suitable for a ke55? as i said above main reason im doing the upgrade is for bigger brakes.
gr8r-x
Regular

September 2004
Re: KE55 - XT130 strut conversion NON COILOVER Thu, 07 April 2005 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://img117.exs.cx/img117/3923/pa1300048hv.jpg
XT130 strut, with lowered King Springs fitted. New shock as well.

http://img206.exs.cx/img206/6089/pa1300067jt.jpg
Oversized strut-hole (is that the right name? Very Happy ). Using the XT130 strut top, just had to enlarge the hole and move the bolt holes out a little bit.

Cars sit a fair bit lower than it used to, but the strut was a (insert expletive here) to fit in.. Had to use the jack to push the control arm down enough to slip it in.

Sorry I don't have any pictures of the finished product.
gr8r-x
Regular

September 2004
Re: KE55 - XT130 strut conversion NON COILOVER Thu, 07 April 2005 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EDIT: Gallery instead...

http://img197.exs.cx/gal.php?g=pa1300039rc.jpg

Got some pics of the work-in-progress.

[Updated on: Thu, 07 April 2005 23:51]

domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: KE55 - XT130 strut conversion NON COILOVER Fri, 08 April 2005 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not too keen on cutting the suspension tower, does anyone know if a ke70 strut top will be a more comfortable fit? and if its possilbe to adapt it to the top of an xt130 strut? thanks
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: KE55 - XT130 strut conversion NON COILOVER Fri, 08 April 2005 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you got the XT130 struts yet?
Does the KE55 strut top fit the XT130 strut? ( you have probably already tried this )

How big do you want to go with the brakes?
Have a look here. It's not a huge brake setup but it is easy to fit and you could always do this.
Just another option for you.

Brad
gr8r-x
Regular

September 2004
Re: KE55 - XT130 strut conversion NON COILOVER Sat, 09 April 2005 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The XT130 strut top doesn't mate to the KE55 strut/spring and vice versa.. Been there, tried that. The only way to make the XT130 strut fit, that I know of, is to modify the chassis to take the XT130 strut top, or put the KE55 spring seats on the XT130 struts..

I did have links to both ways.. But I can only find the hack-at method;
http://www.garagedori.com/tech/rt132_struts_into_k e35.php

RT132 are identical struts to XT130, and the KE35 is the same as a KE55.

Basically the spring seat replacement just involves hacking off the lower spring seats on the KE struts, then welding them in place of the XT130 ones.. Then you use the KE springs and strut top on the XT130 strut/shock.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: KE55 - XT130 strut conversion NON COILOVER any other options? Sat, 09 April 2005 00:54 Go to previous message
domasik wrote on Fri, 08 April 2005 09:26

i just remembered its illigal to cut struts and the main reason u use a coilover sleeve kit is to hide that,

yes thats it Wink

nothing to do with having adjustable ride height, or having small diameter springs so you can adjust the top of the strut further in for more camber (when you fit struts with larger KPI)

it must be to hide the cut Wink

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1JZ-GE supercharged?
Next Topic:engine fire
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 21:23:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0043408870697021 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.