Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » wiring head unit.. quickie...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
wiring head unit.. quickie... Fri, 08 April 2005 05:23 Go to next message
i am wiring my headunit today.
i decided to splice the wires instead of cutting off the connector.
so i found the appropiate wires. first i did the ground, then the 12v ignition pwr, then i did the constant 12v.
my problem is with the constant 12v, i checked it before splicing and it was giving 12v +
after i spliced and connected my wire to it, it started to give only 5-6v.
did i fuk up somewhere? wat can i do from here?
thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: wiring head unit.. quickie... Fri, 08 April 2005 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check the fuse?

Cheers
Wilbo
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: wiring head unit.. quickie... Fri, 08 April 2005 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like you've taken that +12 off a signal wire or something which can't provide the small current used by the stereo even when switched off. Try running a reasonable sized fused wire direct from your battery terminal.

If that doesn't work then maybe there is an internal short in your stereo, but if that was the case you probably would have blown fuses already.

Good luck, a bit of time with a multimeter usually solves these problems.

Hen
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: wiring head unit.. quickie... Fri, 08 April 2005 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok i checked in the fusebox the one that says CIG&RAD (is this the correct fuse)
its only giving 0.3something.. should it be giving a constant 12v+ ?

also i changed it over with another fuse and its still giving about 0.36

havent really done alot of wiring in cars, sorry for my noobiness.

[Updated on: Fri, 08 April 2005 06:11]

BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: wiring head unit.. quickie... Fri, 08 April 2005 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Henn wrote on Fri, 08 April 2005 15:37

Sounds like you've taken that +12 off a signal wire or something which can't provide the small current used by the stereo even when switched off. Try running a reasonable sized fused wire direct from your battery terminal.

If that doesn't work then maybe there is an internal short in your stereo, but if that was the case you probably would have blown fuses already.

Good luck, a bit of time with a multimeter usually solves these problems.

Hen

nah its the original 12v that goes to the stock headunit.
i did check it witht the multimeter before splicing and it was a constant 12v. watever happend, happened after i spliced it and connected the new head unit's connector. also it cant be a short in the stereo since i havent connected it to anything at all yet.
NVD05X
Regular

June 2003
Re: wiring head unit.. quickie... Fri, 08 April 2005 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your using the wire in the top right hand corner of the big plug for permanent??

should be a blue/yellow or something...

if its giving a voltage other than 12 or higher something is very wrong.

find another source...
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: wiring head unit.. quickie... Fri, 08 April 2005 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
now i'm worried. i tried changing the fuse with a good one.
still same only 6v..
also after this incident my clock is also very dimm..so dimm that i can only see it at night.
i'll have to find another constant 12v source. but i'd rather fix the problem i'm having. either way i'm more than open to suggestions.
is there another constant 12v anywhere there? i know my turbo timer is using one from the ignition... anywhere else?

thanks heaps.
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: wiring head unit.. quickie... Sat, 09 April 2005 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Run a dedicated wire from the battery. Headunits can pull some reasonable current, so don't run this through some random little wire which just happened to be nearby and carry constant 12V. And fuse the cable near the battery.

Hen
sonwill
Regular

February 2005
Re: wiring head unit.. quickie... Sat, 09 April 2005 09:29 Go to previous message
If you have connected it to the raido, it could be a fault in the radio.
Check all you grounds, make sure that your arn't causing a short. A drop in voltage on a power rail is ususlly becuase you are drawing to much current on a very small wire. but if nothing is connected to the ends of the wires (ie the head unit wires aren;t connected to anything) I Can only think that either you have shorted something as you were working, and the fuse didn't blow, but melted some wires! This will reduce the amount of current a wire can cary, making it act like a resister. Or you have a dodgy, rusted connection somewhere.

That is all I can think of.

Cheers
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:7mgte ma70 ecu wiring diagram
Next Topic:Degreasing 4AGE
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 18 20:33:57 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050158500671387 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.