Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1JZ - Emanage or better?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
icon5.gif  1JZ - Emanage or better? Thu, 07 April 2005 02:20 Go to next message
I seem to be in a bit of a bind with my 1JZ, when it is running I do I have an emanage computer sitting in my room that will possibly go onto the motor but I am unsure whether or not it will be suitable for what I want to do, as I am going to do a turbo upgrade on the motor quite soon after the conversion is completed, I was thinking either a GT2540 or a TD06-25G obviously one is much larger than the other where the TD06 would be great for 300+rwkw and the 2540 would be good for around 260rwkw and awesome response.

The pickle I am in is that is it worth fitting the emanage or should I just sell it and go for something like a microleb/autronic/EMS/Wolf/Motec? I dont really mind spending that little extra but if the emanage will be up to the task then I might stick with that.

Also note I will not be doing extreme things like changing compression, ITB's, custom plenium, etc. Most modifications will strictly be bolt ons.

Cheers in advance Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user    
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 1JZ - Emanage or better? Thu, 07 April 2005 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Draven's got a LTX12, so ask for his opinions...

Most of the modern boxes - (Haltech/Motec/MicroTech etc) are pretty good, it is as most things, you get what you pay for !!!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1JZ - Emanage or better? Thu, 07 April 2005 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is nothing wrong with any of the current ECU's. They are only as good as the tuner. If you find one that has the features you need (i.e. I'm assuming direct fire ignition, sequential injection) and a tuner that is comfortable using them, go for it.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 1JZ - Emanage or better? Thu, 07 April 2005 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as I said i dont mind paying a little extra for a standalone, but if the emanage will do what I want, top a degree, (obviously not as well as a standalone) then I will stick with it.
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZ - Emanage or better? Thu, 07 April 2005 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I wouldn't use a sensor bender at that level of mod's. The factory ecu is brilliant .... with a factory set-up.

Haltech (E6X or top-of-the line E11) will do all you want, and for a few bucks more you can map the electronic boost solenoid (a BIG plus with the turbos you mention). Best of all, the base-map for the 1JZ is pretty good. I cetainly have no complaints.

That said, you're probably better-off picking a tuner first, then getting whatever he suggests.
Esselte
Regular

June 2003

Re: 1JZ - Emanage or better? Thu, 07 April 2005 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just one thing to keep in mind, unless you're going for a motec (and even then i'm not sure what the case is), the other ECU's don't have as much of a guard against pinging as the factory ecu, my mechanic was telling me how in the standard ECU, if a ping is detected, the revs are reduced and extra fuel gets put into the engine, with most aftermarket ECU's, the only warning u get is a red light, and by that stage the pinging has been happening for long enough to stuff ur motor. Just something to keep in mind, at least with the sensor bender you can still keep these protective facilities.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 1JZ - Emanage or better? Thu, 07 April 2005 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esslete, I have already thought about the pining factor and thats why im going to sacrafice a few KW's for a richer fuel mixture, maybe have the AFR's something around 12:1 or 11.5:1 i know of a few drifters who have adopted this method of tuning and on hot days I know who comes off best, bouncing off the limiter in 3rd and 4th all day without pinging issues is good Very Happy
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZ - Emanage or better? Thu, 07 April 2005 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

That's a fair point on knock - the factory 1JZ is set-up with two knock sensors. Factory tune is fairly conservative and rich, even for Toyota.

In theory, at leawst, you could use the Haltech's (E6X) duel mapping for this (knock sensor becomes input to switch to 2nd map - which would be richer, etc.) - though I hav't tried it.

Otherwise, you'll just have to keep a close eye on your engine under different conditions. I had to do this - with on-going tweaking for optimal tune in all conditions) and (after nearly a year) have got things pretty well (still sorting timing) sorted on the one map.

And as to turbo choice, go the 2540! You'll have masses of low to mid-range torque with that baby. And a super-fast spool-up. Don't be suckered by show-off dyno numbers, the 2540 will FEEL faster than all of them (until you get onto the track, anyway).

Justin
JZA61
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ - Emanage or better? Thu, 07 April 2005 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think there is guy selling an Autronic complete with loom for 1jz on these forums. If you had the money, this would be spot on.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 1JZ - Emanage or better? Thu, 07 April 2005 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
celica-sue you say the 2540 wont feel as fast on the track? have you had experice with one on a 1JZ before? do they run out of puff up top or will they continue to pull all the way to the limiter?
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZ - Emanage or better? Thu, 07 April 2005 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another thing is injectors. If you are going to upgrade to larger injectors you may have to go with low impedance unless you want to spend shitloads. So there is the added cost and hassle of wiring resistors.

There have been people making some pretty good power with the stock ecu with pretty modded engines though. Bolt on mods though, not internally.

I think that if you already have an Emanage, I would be using that. If you didn't have anything, then I would be looking into standalone ECU.

chat on MSN Smile
quest
Regular

April 2004
Re: 1JZ - Emanage or better? Fri, 08 April 2005 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd look at what supra guys are getting via emanage.
Piggybacks can deliver incredile performance once you understand what they're/you're doing. The 4cyl mitsubishi 2L in the u.s. live by the safc and datalogger ($50-$150). There are quite a few mid 11sec full wt. daily drivers... pretty amazing for a 3350 pound pig powered reliably by a 2L with stock ecu/internals eh
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 1JZ - Emanage or better? Fri, 08 April 2005 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
^^^ thats very good to know Smile

cheers guest
manmx83
Regular

July 2004
Re: 1JZ - Emanage or better? Fri, 08 April 2005 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree with justin[celia-sue] that it makes sense to locate a person [tuner] who you find easy to talk to,who understands what you want to achieve,both now and later.most importantly,someone who will give you the time of day.
hopefully this person will be happy to tune your emanage.otherwise sell it to me as I have been advised by carlos of millenium motorsports who has an excellent reputation that the emanage when teamed up with the optional looms for fuel and ignition would allow me to tune for 300rwkw [400rwhp]
start with the tuner you like for advice,most have their own favourite brand which more often than not will simply be the unit they are most familiar with.Like the other guys said,you cant buy a bad computer,but you can certainly get a pretty ordinary approach to tuning your motor if you pick the wrong guy.
best of luck.Pete.
mx83toy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ - Emanage or better? Fri, 08 April 2005 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have used an emanage on mine and have since removed it to make way for a haltech e6x call JEM 0296006567
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ - Emanage or better? Sat, 09 April 2005 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Talk to Brenton at Fours N More, he has my MicroTech running better than factory at the moment. He might be able to fit and tune other ECU's too.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 1JZ - Emanage or better? Sat, 09 April 2005 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I intend to head down there alex, its s tossup between them and steve at JazMac as I know adam down there and he is a really top bloke
E30-323ti
Regular

June 2002
Re: 1JZ - Emanage or better? Sat, 09 April 2005 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The ass-end on both of those turbo's are a bit on the small side!!

If it were a TD-06SH 25G or a GT3040 that would be more like it.

The TD-06 & 2540 have turbines & housings that are more suited to 2l 4cyl engines, sure you'll get a good bottom-mid range oomph, but they will be seriously strangled up top, and if you are thinking of running a internal wastegate on either you'll have boost creep city!!

I'd look at a GT3037 / GT3076 sized turbo.
http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Scr een=PROD&Product_Code=GRT-TBO-033&Category _Code=GRT

Just my 2c though.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 1JZ - Emanage or better? Sat, 09 April 2005 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for your input E30-323ti i was always under the imporession the TD0625G would be a little large for the 1JZ but it sounds like you have some experience on the matter, I am really after something that will give me boost as early as the stock Ct12a's but spin something like 260-180rwkw all the way to the glorious redline, do you think the GT3040 would do that?

also one the turbo upgrade an internal gate is a definitie no no, with it becoming mainly a track orientated car with the occasional bit of street driving (not everyday obviously) an external gate with a screamer is a definite Very Happy
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 1JZ - Emanage or better? Sat, 09 April 2005 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matt - If you are going aftermarket make up your mind before i do the wiring for the car. Its like 200x easier to do an aftermarket install than hook up all the stock stuff... especially with that loom you have.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 1JZ - Emanage or better? Sat, 09 April 2005 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I want the car running chris, dont worry about the aftermarket install i will get the tuner to do that, i want to suss the car out in relatively stock form before i go rooting around with other stuff first, like i said I am aiming for the 25th of april practise day and now its all bolted up and i have a radiator all thats left is the few tidbits of the manual conversion and the cooler piping Very Happy
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 1JZ - Emanage or better? Sat, 09 April 2005 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All good, i would say stick with the E-Manage for now, if i didnt go to Quads i would probably be using an Emanage.
E30-323ti
Regular

June 2002
Re: 1JZ - Emanage or better? Sun, 10 April 2005 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE wrote on Sat, 09 April 2005 22:45

thanks for your input E30-323ti i was always under the imporession the TD0625G would be a little large for the 1JZ but it sounds like you have some experience on the matter, I am really after something that will give me boost as early as the stock Ct12a's but spin something like 260-180rwkw all the way to the glorious redline, do you think the GT3040 would do that?

also one the turbo upgrade an internal gate is a definitie no no, with it becoming mainly a track orientated car with the occasional bit of street driving (not everyday obviously) an external gate with a screamer is a definite Very Happy

I ran a TD-06 25G on my Evo, and it was very good, but I don't think the plain -06 Turbine and housing will cut it on a 1JZ, where as a -06SH has a bigger Turbine & housing (12 or 14cm I think opposed to the 8cm of the -06), the front half will flow plenty!!

As for the GT2540, the backend is basically the same as a T28 or T25 off a 200SX which is even smaller the the -06, and I think the biggest housing you can get is 0.86 (stock size on a GTiR!!) and are internally gated, so you'd need to seal it.

Slylux on here has a GT3040 on his 1JZ Hilux and is putting down ~400rwhp!!
From what he emailed me it doesn't seem much laggier than stock!!
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 1JZ - Emanage or better? Sun, 10 April 2005 00:55 Go to previous message
good food for thought i suppose Smile

cheers
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Handbrake mods: cable doctor (West Sydney)
Next Topic:RE: ct26 upgrade
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 14:37:50 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058212280273438 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.