Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Razor
Regular

May 2004
Old Car Smell Thu, 07 April 2005 21:10 Go to next message
How do you get rid of the old car smell?
changed the carpets, cleaned the interior, new seat covers, nice air freshner and it still stinks!!!

I hate going out using my old car... fresh and clean then after you come out of your car you're worst smelling than before you cleaned up!

how did you guys overcome this?

just tell everyone to cover their nose when ur passing?
  Send a private message to this user    
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Old Car Smell Thu, 07 April 2005 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
most of the old car smells are in the roof lining... after xxx amount of years of people smoking in it and stuff you cant get rid of it... what i did with my first TA22 was rip everything out and clean it all with wax and grease and then laid the new carpet, roof lining, etc

put a freshener after that and its perfect... but roof is the culprit
Razor
Regular

May 2004
Re: Old Car Smell Thu, 07 April 2005 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the tip

will try replacing it.

do you know how much roof lining normally cost?

cheers!
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Old Car Smell Thu, 07 April 2005 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cost all depends on the car... for example that TA22 lining cost bout $100, but with the TA22 the front and rear windscreens need to come out and also the both side door frame rubbers and chrome strips...

so all in all with the celica its bout $100 for the lining, roughly $250 for the windscreen seals, another $100 for the fram seals (if the get damaged when taking them off and bout $50 to remove and replace windscreens which ends up roughly $500

so if your car is the same then theres a rough estimate based on a toyota celica TA22... if those things are not required then its cheaper
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Old Car Smell Fri, 08 April 2005 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spray all the fabric with Febreeze and let the car sit with all the windows open for a while, then chuck in a decent air freshener.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Old Car Smell Fri, 08 April 2005 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go to kmart and u can buy "New Car Smell" air freshener
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Old Car Smell Fri, 08 April 2005 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cept that doesn't work cos when it runs out, the cause of the old ass smell remains.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Old Car Smell Fri, 08 April 2005 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cant just buy 1 u tightarse
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Old Car Smell Fri, 08 April 2005 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did say to buy one you massif dong, I just also suggested to get rid of the smell too, not just hide it Twisted Evil
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Old Car Smell Fri, 08 April 2005 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
febreze does not work man

old cars will smell like old cars for life
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Old Car Smell Fri, 08 April 2005 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
open up the doors and windows get a good big fan blowing through the car so it is moving the air out of it at a good pace, then whilst wearing a dust mask get out the compressed air sprayer thingo you use to.. well spray compressed air. then blast the crap out of the roof lining, carpets etc, youll me amazed at the ammount of crap that comes out. and all that crap in there is adding to the smell. just make sure you have enough airflow leaving the car to ensure that all the bits your dislodging are getting removed.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Old Car Smell Fri, 08 April 2005 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Note::: TA22 & RA23 do not require the front and rear windscreens to come out for the roof lining replacement. Motor trimmers have a tool that inserts the roof lining beneath the window rubber
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Old Car Smell Fri, 08 April 2005 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Les wrote on Fri, 08 April 2005 10:08

febreze does not work man

If it didn't work, you didn't use it right.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Old Car Smell Fri, 08 April 2005 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Old Car Smell Fri, 08 April 2005 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's right, back in your hole accountant.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Old Car Smell Fri, 08 April 2005 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know that there is no point arguing with this IT geek, as he is too recalcitrant Razz

and stop stroking that febreze
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Old Car Smell Fri, 08 April 2005 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you have to doubt a man's sexuality when he goes on so much about febreeze!!

On the note of roof linings, i took my RA28 roof lining out and it just slid back into the front windscreen seal - there was like this extra lip which it fit into with a little bit of coaxing with a screwdriver Smile
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Old Car Smell Fri, 08 April 2005 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have new or reco every thing in my interior, cept the plastics. New carpet, roof linning, seats (and the original ones are the worst offender) dash door trims, and i dont get old car smell, my car just smells of petrol. Stupid big fuel system Smile

[Updated on: Fri, 08 April 2005 08:32]

hokey
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Old Car Smell Fri, 08 April 2005 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i love the old car smell. i don't see y u would want to get rid of it, unless ur girlfriend is tellin u. (Girlfriend swings whip in air and cracks on ur arse) Twisted Evil

[Updated on: Fri, 08 April 2005 10:03]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Old Car Smell Fri, 08 April 2005 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Fri, 08 April 2005 15:30

you have to doubt a man's sexuality when he goes on so much about febreeze!!

Metro yes, homo like you, no. Twisted Evil
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Old Car Smell Fri, 08 April 2005 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I agree with Hokey. Old cars get that vintage smell about them that is pretty cool. Much, much better for your health than new car smells.

I've noticed that as I age, I am starting to get a vintage odour about me! Smile

seeyuzz
river
pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Old Car Smell Fri, 08 April 2005 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Les wrote on Fri, 08 April 2005 12:08

my car is 36 years old and does not smell like an old car
unforgiven
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Old Car Smell Fri, 08 April 2005 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i love the old car smell, If its there when you get in, you know your driving a classic...im not so keen on the "old ass smell" as you described it though frank.
MarioM
Regular

January 2005
Re: Old Car Smell Fri, 08 April 2005 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hokey wrote on Fri, 08 April 2005 20:02

i love the old car smell. i don't see y u would want to get rid of it, unless ur girlfriend is tellin u. (Girlfriend swings whip in air and cracks on ur arse) Twisted Evil

Laughing Laughing Laughing
When my Ta22 use to be on the road it had that old school smell about it and it was the best. Im a young punk (well according to older ppl) and i appreciate old school flavour. i suppose its something that grows on you.
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Old Car Smell Fri, 08 April 2005 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so when we talk OLD car smell... we are talking Datsun 240Z, TA22 old smell.. wat about 80's like MA61 or MA70... where do they fit in... new car smell is like cheap arse plastic like commodore smell.. is it just me also.. or does anyone else get a head ache when they get in commo's and falcons and new cars.. it feels like u slip into a new dimension... thats how bloody quiet they are inside!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Old Car Smell Fri, 08 April 2005 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Theres a distinction. Old vinyl old car smell, that reeks of classic. Mums boyfriend has a 1970 Capri with 30000km on it, it's immaculate, and you open the door and it smells cool.

The old car smell that is nasty is 20+ years of sweat, cigarettes, damp all munched into one weird concoction.
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Old Car Smell Fri, 08 April 2005 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Sat, 09 April 2005 00:08

Theres a distinction. Old vinyl old car smell, that reeks of classic. Mums boyfriend has a 1970 Capri with 30000km on it, it's immaculate, and you open the door and it smells cool.

The old car smell that is nasty is 20+ years of sweat, cigarettes, damp all munched into one weird concoction.

i tend to agree with that... i find datsuns have a destinct smell to them its that vinyl sitting in the sun smell! then when u sit on it... u burn your arse! espically if its black!
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Old Car Smell Fri, 08 April 2005 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pro_ke wrote on Fri, 08 April 2005 22:09

Les wrote on Fri, 08 April 2005 12:08

my car is 36 years old and does not smell like an old car

read the post above you man, maybe ur nose is getting vintage too ..
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Old Car Smell Fri, 08 April 2005 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

TRD_Supra wrote on Sat, 09 April 2005 00:03

... new car smell is like cheap arse plastic like commodore smell.. is it just me also.. or does anyone else get a head ache when they get in commo's and falcons and new cars..

The "new car" smell is from the polymers and other chemicals leaching out of the plastics and vinyl. These products are known as nasty cancigens (spell?) and are very unhealthy to you. Many people get headaches and sick when they get into new cars.

The smartest and most healthiest thing to do when you get a new car is to open the windows and let the smells get out of the car asap.

seeyuzz
river
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: Old Car Smell Sat, 09 April 2005 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One of my corollas i got off a mate, is the worst smelling car ive ever seen. He would always smoke in it, and soooooo many bongs have been spilled on the carpet, its soo foul..
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Old Car Smell Sat, 09 April 2005 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think my car smells like a musty old volvo mixed with a 4 stroke lawnmower...

But everyone gets in and says, your car smells nice... WTF is everyone on?
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Old Car Smell Sat, 09 April 2005 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
79rollaboy wrote on Sat, 09 April 2005 10:57

I think my car smells like a musty old volvo mixed with a 4 stroke lawnmower...

But everyone gets in and says, your car smells nice... WTF is everyone on?

Maybe your friends are into petrol sniffing?
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Old Car Smell Sun, 10 April 2005 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wouldn't suprise me...

I am from Engadine... Laughing

[Updated on: Sun, 10 April 2005 10:58]

STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Old Car Smell Sun, 10 April 2005 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river wrote on Sat, 09 April 2005 09:04

These products are known as nasty cancigens (spell?) and are very unhealthy to you.

carcinogens

haha engadine = teh boganville
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Old Car Smell Sun, 10 April 2005 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
STR8 2.8 wrote on Sun, 10 April 2005 21:02

haha engadine = teh boganville

You have no idea how bad it is...

Although there are some good cars... Like 20V Sprinters, JZX90 Mark II, and thats about it...

Its mainly commodores...
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Old Car Smell Sun, 10 April 2005 23:28 Go to previous message
get it full on steam cleaned or use one of those wet steam cleaner citric cleaners... and then use a wet and dry vacuum cleaner to suck all the water out, leave all the doors open and leave the car in the sun for a few hours

best to do on a warm day, but seriously, the car will be great after that... and if you make sure to let it dry out properly, it wont have too much of a fruity citrus smell, just a smell of cleanliness

much better than the smell of gunk and old fast food and cigarettes
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Sell it or keep Whaddya rekon
Next Topic:Calling Sprinter owners!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 23:51:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065999031066895 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.