Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » RA28 with 2JZ? Is it possible?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
PMode
Occasional Poster

February 2005
RA28 with 2JZ? Is it possible? Fri, 08 April 2005 10:59 Go to next message
Hey guys,

I'll just get to the point. Is it possible to do an RA28 conversion with the 2JZ? I know from the articles on this site it can fit in the engine bay, but I was also thinking bout weight distribution...whether it would make a real drama or not. I know peeps have done the 1JZ conversion and I haven't seen much complaint on here, so just wanted to see if anyone as crazy as me has really considered it!

Also if its feasible (considering u want speed regardless of gas guzzling...but has to be safe).

Look forward to ur posts.

James

One other thing, fitting the supra gearbox in there...is that possible or does that involve some cutting or banging around?!

[Updated on: Fri, 08 April 2005 11:01]

Send a private message to this user    
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: RA28 with 2JZ? Is it possible? Fri, 08 April 2005 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1jz will fit if you butcher the front of the car, so yeah a 2jz will as well. why though? Go a 3sgte, the 2jz will throw the front of that lightweight car way out of balance with the rest of it. I.e itll be a Pig to drive
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: RA28 with 2JZ? Is it possible? Fri, 08 April 2005 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The question, "is it legal in NSW?" arises, and I think you will find the answer is no....
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA28 with 2JZ? Is it possible? Sat, 09 April 2005 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What they said. Possible? Yes. Practical? No.
h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: RA28 with 2JZ? Is it possible? Sat, 09 April 2005 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what state would it b legal in?

dont think we can do much down here in vic.. but i could b wrong.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: RA28 with 2JZ? Is it possible? Sat, 09 April 2005 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
h3ff44 wrote on Sat, 09 April 2005 12:38

what state would it b legal in?

dont think we can do much down here in vic.. but i could b wrong.

Very Happy depends vic rules are very bendable Very Happy
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: RA28 with 2JZ? Is it possible? Sat, 09 April 2005 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'd get away with it in WA with suitable strengthening mods.
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: RA28 with 2JZ? Is it possible? Sat, 09 April 2005 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thers a guy who lives near honrsby his name is dennis im 99% sure hes got a 2jzgte in his ra28, i think his name on the forums is grim_boy?? i duno, he was selling some bucket seat not long ago have a search. it defiantly sit, and it hammers too
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: RA28 with 2JZ? Is it possible? Sat, 09 April 2005 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup, I know Dennis, you'll find it's a 1G-GTE, and yes it does hammer, hard! Which is a legal, and much more sensible swap(plus it's well documented), although a 2JZ in a straight line would be amazing!

There is a gent by the Name of Chuck Landwehr from the ACT who has a 1JZ in a TA23...he's on these forums by the same name, maybe you could ask hima few questions.

[Updated on: Sat, 09 April 2005 08:47]

domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: RA28 with 2JZ? Is it possible? Sat, 09 April 2005 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
denni's is only a 1ggte? well ive been told its a 2jzgte. my bad sorry. BUT i have seen one theres this dvd ive seen its got a torrana with a rb25 in it an stuff and theres a ra28 with a 2jzgte i duno if its street regod but yeah.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA28 with 2JZ? Is it possible? Sat, 09 April 2005 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Fri, 08 April 2005 21:34

1jz will fit if you butcher the front of the car

u dont have to butcher anything to fit a JZ engine into a RA celica.

please search this thread comes up once a fortnight and has been answered many times. focus your search on 1JZ into RA23 or RA28, then factor in to your conversion plans that the 2JZ is taller and the turbos take up more space than the 1JZ.

please refer to the sticky posts at the top of the tech and conversions section for a handy way to search the forums via google.

usually the consensus is that if you have to ask then the conversion is not for you.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: RA28 with 2JZ? Is it possible? Mon, 11 April 2005 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Denis's car is definitly a 1G an it performs nicely (Beautiful car too). Soon it will be even more impressive but I will leave that quiet for now.

Chuck has sold his 1JZ 23.

There are a few 1JZ early celicas running around now. They seem to fit in and work well. So the 2JZ should in theory fit in and do the job. Having said that you may have problems with the turbo manifolds and things like that.

What kind of performance do you want from it. My standard 1G 28 has done a 13.7second 1/4 mile with an open diff. A locker should knock another 0.5seconds off that. Add sticky tyres your looking at a 12 second contender. Aftermarket computer turbo and cams should see you into the 11's easy enough. Cost wise you would still be under what the 2JZ would set you back.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: RA28 with 2JZ? Is it possible? Mon, 11 April 2005 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yo Gold28, any idea what your car weighs?
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: RA28 with 2JZ? Is it possible? Mon, 11 April 2005 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had it weighed on scales of dubious accuracy and it cam out at about 1200 with 1/2 tank of gas and sterio installed. I dragged the car without sub box and amps with only a few litres of fuel in it so I guess it was about 1150kg race weight plus my fat arse (80-85kg)

Now tell me what I should have run......

Oh and it was doing about 106mph at finish line.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: RA28 with 2JZ? Is it possible? Mon, 11 April 2005 05:59 Go to previous message
Thank you for that, I'd estimate the XX to have around 125kg plus a little less *ballast* Wink Now to factor in the LSD and nice tyres, just trying to work out a figure for how fast it'll be. Thank you Smile

And back to the topic ...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:2tg block info
Next Topic:3sgte conversion into a 85 st162 vs tx3 1.8T
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 03:52:10 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0041050910949707 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.