Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » ke20 questions - CHG light on dash, windscreen washer reservoir

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
ke20 questions - CHG light on dash, windscreen washer reservoir Sat, 09 April 2005 06:59 Go to next message
Gday fellas,

Couple of small questions, just sorting a few things on my car.

Firstly, i don't have a windscreen washer setup. I have 2 spares, but neither are fitted to the car. My ke20 now has a 2tg with sidedraft webers, so as such i dont have any room behind the engine, or on the driver's side. Oodles of room to fit it on the passenger side though. Just wondering if someone can describer (or better yet give a pic) of the stock location. Also, any clues about finding the wiring for it would be great too.

Secondly, I just fitted a brand spanking new 450cca sealed battery. My CHG light is now on at idle, when i rev it seems to dim. I'm assuming this light triggers on both undervoltage and overvoltage. I'm assuming the latter, unless my alternator has decided to play up after not being driven for a few weeks.

So, just wondering if anyone knows the exact voltages or conditions which trigger the CHG light to come on. In the past i've been able to see it dimly lit at night as well.

Figured an easy way of sorting it would be to just get an auto elec to do a quick check of the alt, but first things first.

Thanks,
Bardin.
  Send a private message to this user    
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: ke20 questions - CHG light on dash, windscreen washer reservoir Sat, 09 April 2005 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I always assumed that the factory reservoir was on the drivers side looking at where the hose for the nozzles goes, like yourself my ke20 didn't have a washer reservoir either so I don't know this for a fact.
I'm pretty sure there was a few spare plugs floating around near the drivers side headlight.
If you also have some spare plugs in that location (or others) whack your multimeter across the terminals of each plug and have a mate squirt the washers... if you see battery voltage across the terminals when your mate pushes the button you know you have the right plug.

Your charge light should come on if the battery voltage falls much below 12V.
My KE20 (now Toyrota's) had the alternator wired up without a regulator when I got it and the voltage sometimes went up to 15V+ and the charge light would not come on.
Probably due to not having a regulator the alternator eventually died and the charge light was coming on... so the charge light was wired up.
This leads me to believe that the KE20's (or 3TGTE) charge light does not come on under overvoltage conditions.

To test your alternator just chuck a multimeter on across the battery terminals when the car is running and see what voltage is present.
If the voltage is <12V your alternator (or regulator) is stuffed.
If the voltage is much over 14.5V your regulator is stuffed.
If the brushes are on the way out you will usually see very low 12V at idle rising to 13-14 at about 2500RPM
smitty1
Regular

July 2004
Re: ke20 questions - CHG light on dash, windscreen washer reservoir Sat, 09 April 2005 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On my ke20, the washer resevoir is attached to the battery clamps, this looks to be the stock location for a 74 model.

Ian
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: ke20 questions - CHG light on dash, windscreen washer reservoir Sat, 09 April 2005 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smitty1 wrote on Sat, 09 April 2005 18:46

On my ke20, the washer resevoir is attached to the battery clamps, this looks to be the stock location for a 74 model.

Ian

What is the stock location of the battery?
My KE20 had the battery in the boot and I assume bananaman's probably does too.
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: ke20 questions - CHG light on dash, windscreen washer reservoir Sat, 09 April 2005 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In my KE70 I had to move the washer from behind the drivers headlight to the back of the passengers side strut tower. Used a bracket and bottle from a KE30, holes were there but no captive nuts. Wiring was a blue wire and a blue wire with a yellow stripe, in the KE70 it actually looped right around the engine bay so I tapped in under the dash and fed the wiring through with the wiper motor wires.

Callum
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: ke20 questions - CHG light on dash, windscreen washer reservoir Sat, 09 April 2005 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a dim chg light is usually a sign of either a) a bad or loose connection (ie bracket bolts gone walkies..) or b) one of the coils is not working properly, either from field diode failure, or breakage of the solder joints in the alt.... i get the latter very often unless i redo the joints properly..
if you get a jaycar LED "battery monitor" (the 10 led thing) you can easily tell if you have lost a diode/coil.. the leds light up like a nightrider thingy Wink
Cya, Stewart
Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
Re: ke20 questions - CHG light on dash, windscreen washer reservoir Sat, 09 April 2005 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So, given that my battery is (very) new and may be charged quite high, if the alternator is only putting out a low voltage, this will be still shown across the terminals?

My battery is in the stock location actually, one of few things not done. (And i have little motivation to do it myself, i don't need the room currently).

I have never taken apart an alternator, but i'm game to give it a go if its not working properly.. Is changing the brushes a (relatively) simple job? Are the parts easily sourceable (auto one?). If the CHG indicator is rooted, i'm not really bothered, i intend on removing that part of the dash cluster and replacing it with a tacho.

I have acres of room on the passenger side of the car, and i already have 2 ke20 washer bottles. I'll have another punt around tomorrow, thanks for that fellas.
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: ke20 questions - CHG light on dash, windscreen washer reservoir Sun, 10 April 2005 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PM sent.
purple_people_eater_1
Regular

June 2003
Re: ke20 questions - CHG light on dash, windscreen washer reservoir Sun, 10 April 2005 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my washer bottle was mounted on the battery clamp as well and the battery in all 3 of my ke20s has been on the drivers side.
smitty1
Regular

July 2004
Re: ke20 questions - CHG light on dash, windscreen washer reservoir Mon, 11 April 2005 02:54 Go to previous message
As per purple people eater's reply, battery is mounted on the drivers side behind the headlight.

Ian
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:r33 calipers fit in 14" 15" wheels????
Next Topic:Pimpin MA70 Supra stereo
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 23:24:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053830146789551 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.