Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
T-18 Rack and Pinion conversion Mon, 28 March 2005 12:03 Go to next message
ive got the engine bay stripped for spraying, and decided its time to do a rack and pinion conversion now.
so ill try keep this page together with how it all happened with pics and everything, but first, if anybody has any good info i could use or someone has done this conversion before, i could do with some help!

as far as i know AE71/KE70/AE86 all share the same steering?
i plan on heading out to wreckers soon and taking all the gear off any of the above cars that looks to be in good condition

jesse
  Send a private message to this user    
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: T-18 Rack and Pinion conversion Mon, 28 March 2005 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get there nice n early right and trail fit it to a t18 dont have to go the whole hog but to get a general idea u know. there are always t-18s down there too. i did see a post about this somewhere once ill have a look and see if i can dig it up.

u did do a search didnt u?

has a bit of info
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=44982&rid=4131&S=0cbf40f20a8a0fceaf3e176 c5da23f21&pl_view=&start=0#msg_408718

CLG wrote on Wed, 24 November 2004 14:46

AE86 power sterering rack will have the correct steering geometry, but you'll then need the power steering drag links, crossmemeber and brackets, and column too. The inclined angle for engine mounts between T and A series motors will also be different too.

ok well i have waayy too much time on my hands

[Updated on: Mon, 28 March 2005 14:48]

jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: T-18 Rack and Pinion conversion Mon, 28 March 2005 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
of course i searched Razz
the tag 'forums junkie' comes with loads of toymods experience!

i dont feel i need/want power steering until im about 70 so im going to do it with all the KE70 parts, and weld T series mounts onto the K crossmember it seems!
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: T-18 Rack and Pinion conversion Tue, 29 March 2005 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just be aware the gearbox braces won't clear the rack so you have to mod or remove them. Also, firewall mount for the rack and pinion column is different. Personally I would cut out and replace the section of firewall to make it look factory.

Callum
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: T-18 Rack and Pinion conversion Tue, 29 March 2005 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea i was going to suggest using ke70/ae71 parts as from what i read the ae86 steering column comes out at a different angle.
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: T-18 Rack and Pinion conversion Thu, 31 March 2005 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well spent some time at wreckers today
the ae86 steering does go in at a different angle than the ae71/ke70's steering
i took the crossmemer, rack and column from a ae71, it looks like the column will just about bolt in, ill do a test setup this weekend and get some pics
cams_ae86
Regular

November 2004
Re: T-18 Rack and Pinion conversion Thu, 31 March 2005 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tamp u r my hero Cool
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: T-18 Rack and Pinion conversion Thu, 31 March 2005 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know for a fact you need to cut the firewall where the column goes in

id cut out the hole from a ke70,ae71..etc and weld that in place to make it look factory

the rest pretty much bolts up im told
4ageeza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: T-18 Rack and Pinion conversion Thu, 31 March 2005 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fuck, I just got back from a drive in my TE72 and thought...hmm I'd like to convert this to rack and pinion! Then I saw this thread Very Happy

Does anyone know the relative lengths of ae86 and te72 steering arms? as in which is longer/shorter. Also the length of the lower contol arms?

Cheers,

Joel
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: T-18 Rack and Pinion conversion Fri, 01 April 2005 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86 and te72 share the same control arms
not sure about steering arms, if worst comes to worst ill just have to use ke70/ae71/ae86 tie rod ends too.
they share the same track so shouldnt be any worries there
TerryOBeirne
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: T-18 Rack and Pinion conversion Fri, 01 April 2005 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
our old TE72 had all the bits from an AE86 Levin bolted straight into it. no firewall cutting, mucking around with arms etc. raced it for years.
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: T-18 Rack and Pinion conversion Sat, 02 April 2005 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the AE71 steering column bolted straight in!
ill just have to elongate the hole for the column a little so it can come down at the right angle.
crossmember and rack are bolted in.
it all seemed to easy, then i noticed a problem...

the rack is mounted exactly 1 inch firther away from the column than it was in the AE71...
http://img228.exs.cx/img228/2991/rack22kf.jpg
http://img228.exs.cx/img228/8858/rack31fm.jpg

[Updated on: Sat, 02 April 2005 06:13]

4ageeza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: T-18 Rack and Pinion conversion Sat, 02 April 2005 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
^^^ Sad That sucks!

Hope you can get it sorted,

Joel

[Updated on: Sat, 02 April 2005 06:52]

jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: T-18 Rack and Pinion conversion Sat, 02 April 2005 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks like it will be as simple as cutting it and extending it 1 inch Very Happy
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: T-18 Rack and Pinion conversion Sat, 02 April 2005 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate I had the same problem, no need for cutting it.. Its actually adjustable. The shaft is like 2 pieces with a join you should be able to see. There is heaps inside there enough to extended it well over 1 inch.

Cheers
Joel
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: T-18 Rack and Pinion conversion Sat, 02 April 2005 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no way!
thanks joel, ill sus it out tomorrow, might be a bolt up job after all!!! Very Happy
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: T-18 Rack and Pinion conversion Sun, 03 April 2005 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahhhh i cant adjust it, am i trying in the right spot?
theres a obvious connection here, with flat surfaces to fit spanners on, but it looks like it wont spin cause of the shape of it obviously.
http://img84.exs.cx/img84/4923/column11os.jpg

[Updated on: Sun, 03 April 2005 03:20]

jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: T-18 Rack and Pinion conversion Sun, 03 April 2005 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adjusted! Very Happy
Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
Re: T-18 Rack and Pinion conversion Sun, 03 April 2005 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does this mean its a straight in conversion. This is going to be very useful indeed for the race car if its not too much buggering around Smile
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: T-18 Rack and Pinion conversion Sun, 03 April 2005 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so far no buggering around, its just been bolt in and extending the length of that shaft with a vice and hammer.
next i have to get some T series mounts on the A xmember, then we will see how it goes for clearance.
but if anyone is putting a 4age into a T-18, its definately worth putting in the steering with it, so easy!

once ive dont the trial fit of the engine, if all is sweet the steering gear is coming back out and getting a reconditioning, new inner tie rods and new bushes Very Happy

[Updated on: Sun, 03 April 2005 06:39]

ozboy
Regular

February 2004
Re: T-18 Rack and Pinion conversion Sun, 03 April 2005 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
would this be the same as a ta22? ive heard that they share similar suspension and steering as the t18?

If so it would be awesum if it bots in!
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: T-18 Rack and Pinion conversion Sun, 03 April 2005 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glad you worked out how to adjust it mate. Yeah didn't mean to turn it around, meant you wack it hard and it can slide out.

As for this setup going in a ta22, if its anything like the ra28 it is VERY far from a bolt up job. the ae86.ae71/ke70 xmember doesn't bolt in.

Cheers
Joel
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: T-18 Rack and Pinion conversion Sun, 03 April 2005 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah ide be suprised if ta22 was the same, only one way to find out though! if you want to send me the sud pattern of the firewall steering column mount that will be a start
and also the stud pattern of the crossmemebr
GefGef
Regular

January 2005
Re: T-18 Rack and Pinion conversion Sat, 09 April 2005 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm going about doing a rack conversion in my TA22. It is far from a bolt in job but its not actually that difficult. I'll document everything and take a few pictures for a tech article if anyone is interested.

Geoff
tom210
Regular

March 2005
Re: T-18 Rack and Pinion conversion Sat, 09 April 2005 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone done a ke30?
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: T-18 Rack and Pinion conversion Sun, 10 April 2005 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when i went back to wreckers i noticed the 'AE71' i took the parts from was actually a KE70, with the AE71 headlights Confused
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: T-18 Rack and Pinion conversion Sun, 10 April 2005 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if it was a ke70 how did u end up with an A series crossmember? or have u got a K series one?
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: T-18 Rack and Pinion conversion Sun, 10 April 2005 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: T-18 Rack and Pinion conversion Sun, 10 April 2005 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well wouldnt that mean u dont need to change ur mounts now? t series and k series are the same arent they? if u use t series mounts on a k cross member the t series block will bolt up. ALTHOUGH it might sit it a bit too fat back so u may need to move the mounts towards the front a little bit.
GefGef
Regular

January 2005
Re: T-18 Rack and Pinion conversion Sun, 10 April 2005 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry to thread hijack, but can anyone confirm if the KE70, AE71 and AE86 actually do share the same rack?

Geoff
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: T-18 Rack and Pinion conversion Sun, 10 April 2005 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on the crossmember i have, the mounts were located 1 1/2 inches too close to firewall, and the mounts were about 2 inches further apart than the T ones too...
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: T-18 Rack and Pinion conversion Sun, 10 April 2005 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so ur all setup for a k series grunter motor? Rolling Eyes

Smile
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: T-18 Rack and Pinion conversion Sun, 10 April 2005 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4KTE Evil or Very Mad
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: T-18 Rack and Pinion conversion Sun, 10 April 2005 12:26 Go to previous message
ive got a super high compression 3K MEGA BIgPORT head in my garage u can borrow if u wana risk ur life and another liecence Laughing
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1GGTE KE30
Next Topic:GZ10 options
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 23:03:14 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0085380077362061 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.