Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
greenta22
Regular

July 2004
2TG fuel pump Mon, 30 August 2004 08:13 Go to next message
gday,

im building up a 2TG at th moment, and wondering wether to go for an electric fuel pump (VL) or stick with the mechanical one. the motor is stock with twin solexes but im planning more mods in the future, hence the electric pump idea. is the VL pump hard to install ie. do i have to use different size fuel lines? and where would be the best place to mount it?
will any old pump (in good nick) from a wrecker VL do the job, or is it worth spending up on a newie?

cheers,

Jim.

ps. anyone got a blanking plate for sale?
  Send a private message to this user    
muaythaiman
Regular

August 2004
Re: 2TG fuel pump Mon, 30 August 2004 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am doing the same convo, with twin webbers. Don't you need a low pressure pump?? Like not an efi one?? Or will a vl be alright??
greenta22
Regular

July 2004
Re: 2TG fuel pump Mon, 30 August 2004 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, i heard low pressure is what you need, but ive also heard of people using a VL unit, so i dunno... was VL pump was for 2T-GEU? or is it ok for a carbied 2TG?
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: 2TG fuel pump Mon, 30 August 2004 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You only need a low pressure pump for carbies.

Brad
muaythaiman
Regular

August 2004
Re: 2TG fuel pump Mon, 30 August 2004 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know the fuel lines are fine for a tg but unsure about the pump. seeing as vl's are injected i thought they would use a high pressure pump. i have subaru pump in the shed and was told this would be fine, but i dont like the idea of using it as it ticks really loudly and gives me the shits. worked well on my old 3t and 38/38 d/d webber though.
Rob20v
Occasional Poster

August 2002
Re: 2TG fuel pump Mon, 30 August 2004 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I used the original one on the block and had no trouble but I have also used the low volume electric ones on other projects. If the noise anoys you just isolate it with some good rubber mounts and you won't hear it in the car.You can't use the VL pump without running a return fuel line and a regulator. Unless you are planning on some mega horsepower or EFI you wont need it.
Another option I have used is to run the standard one feeding the low volume electric one.Rob20v.
Rob20v
Occasional Poster

August 2002
Re: 2TG fuel pump Mon, 30 August 2004 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
By the way you don't know where I can get some gasket sets for a 2tg in Melbourne or Geelong do you.
muaythaiman
Regular

August 2004
Re: 2TG fuel pump Mon, 30 August 2004 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can get gasket sets from repco as I have a trade account with them. Don't know whether it can help you though. Thanks for that info but>>>> My tg is an efi version and doesn't have a mech. fuel pump. Can you recomend a pump?? Also> the subaru pump ticking comes from inside the pump, and mounting on rubber etc, will not affect it. Apparently they all do it (that model)
SeptemberSquallIndustries
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: 2TG fuel pump Mon, 30 August 2004 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rob20v: Sean Maloney on 9534 4277.

VL pump is high pressure. Use a regulator and return line if you use it. (this might have been said?)

But why would you? I can go to the wrecker and pick any pump of my choice out of his big full box of low pressure elec. pumps for ~$20.
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2TG fuel pump Mon, 30 August 2004 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The stock mechanical pump on the block will probably be good for most 2T-G's (thats what they came with) up to about 160hp. My engine is probably close to 160hp with 3T bottom and big cams, and it was running ok with mechanical pump still. I have now put on a electric pump (low pressure "for 6 and 8cyl") just to eliminate any cause for the slight problems I am getting at high rpm.

I have it mounted in the boot near the fuel tank, and it ticks a bit initialy before it primes itself with fuel.

If you want it realy quite, do it like factory fitted items are. Rubber mount the pump to a metal plate. Then rubber mount that metal plate the the underside of the car. You won't hear it then, and the pump won't starve of fuel being low to the ground.
TA22
Regular

June 2003
Re: 2TG fuel pump Tue, 31 August 2004 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the problem with using a vl or vn pump is cuz its a hi flow/ high pressure efi pump. the solex carbies dont have a return line, so there'l be alot of return back pressure to the pump which isnt healthy. carby setups run on like 6 or something psi, whereas efi setups run around 35 fuel psi...
The Untouchable
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 2TG fuel pump Sat, 23 October 2004 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so what is an ideal pump to use then for converting the fuel pump 'just to be safe?' i read in old post the toyman recommended a nissan bluebird pump i think...
TA22
Regular

June 2003
Re: 2TG fuel pump Sun, 24 October 2004 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any elec fuel pump off a carby car dude
theyre low pressure pumps
greenta22
Regular

July 2004
Re: 2TG fuel pump Sun, 24 October 2004 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so low pressure/high volume is good for carbies yeah?

can you modify the 2T mech pump to fit the 2TG? or do you have to have a 2TG item with the longer cam?
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2TG fuel pump Sun, 24 October 2004 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Realy, the 2T and 2T-G fuel pumps are the same thing. Yes, I know they are different part numbers and may be slightly different, but realy they are the same as far as anyone can tell. My mechanical standard pump (not sure if its genuine 2TG or just 2T) works fine. A 3T-C pump will also work, looks a bit different but fits the same.
TA22
Regular

June 2003
Re: 2TG fuel pump Mon, 25 October 2004 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it would be best to go 2t pump as johnny sed, cuz it would make it the easiest. as long as they are the same shape, and fits the 2tg cam, then it should be ok. cuz 2tb's run double carbs wit that pump.

as long as the engines a 2tg u have no probs running a mechanical one. u cant run mechanical pumps on 2tgeu's cuz they dont have the cam for the pump.
The Untouchable
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 2TG fuel pump Mon, 25 October 2004 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine will be bored out and have big cams and a lot of other mods....does that matter?
TA22
Regular

June 2003
Re: 2TG fuel pump Mon, 25 October 2004 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont think it will, but im not sure..
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: 2TG fuel pump Mon, 11 April 2005 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know this is an old thread, but I am at the stage of desissions on what pumps to use myself. One option is to go low pressure as has been mentioned, and the other is to use the mechanical one. I have opted to use the mechanical one. Problem is, last night when it was time to fit the pump, I stuck my finger in the hole in the side of the block, just to see where the lobe was facing on the cam. I noticed that there was no cam in behind where the pump should go. I am slightly confuzzled, does this mean that this block has been previously built for 2tgeu, not needing a cam to drive a mechanical pump? If so, I remember reading that the oil galleries on the extension part of the cam need to be covered. I think I need some advice on this please. Confused
The engine is freshly built and in the ke55 coupe, I don't really want to be pulling the engine apart unless I really need to. If these oil galleries are not covered, will it cause a problem? It seems my only option now is to use an electric pump.
If this is the case, should the pump be closest to the tank or can it be placed in the engine bay. Confused
Hopeully someone can help on this one...
SIKTA22
Regular

March 2003
Re: 2TG fuel pump Mon, 11 April 2005 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a worked 2T-G, 3T crank,cams,headwork (was once a GEU) so i had no choice but to use an electric unit as my camshaft for the mechanical pump was not there also.

Ive mounted it directly underneath the car (TA22) as the fuel lines come down from the tank, used the existing fuel lines, ive also connected a T piece brass fitting and used the return line up front in the engine bay, i believe the unit itself is called "PIERBERG" its rating is 3-5.5psi if i remember correctly, perfect for a twincarb setup, i bought mine from a Thompsons store but im sure repco and supercheap could get them.

Personally id mount my pump underneath the tank so it doesnt starve of fuel for just that few seconds when you crank the engine over after leaving it for a while, i wouldnt put it up front because if something were to happen and a fire starts in your engine bay while your engine is running, just remember your pump is there still pumping fuel up to your engine but thats my opinion. goodluck with it

cheers.
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: 2TG fuel pump Mon, 11 April 2005 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Help this confussion pls Sad
muaythaiman
Regular

August 2004
Re: 2TG fuel pump Mon, 11 April 2005 21:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SIKTA22 wrote on Mon, 11 April 2005 23:55

i have a worked 2T-G, 3T crank,cams,headwork (was once a GEU) so i had no choice but to use an electric unit as my camshaft for the mechanical pump was not there also.

Ive mounted it directly underneath the car (TA22) as the fuel lines come down from the tank, used the existing fuel lines, ive also connected a T piece brass fitting and used the return line up front in the engine bay, i believe the unit itself is called "PIERBERG" its rating is 3-5.5psi if i remember correctly, perfect for a twincarb setup, i bought mine from a Thompsons store but im sure repco and supercheap could get them.

Personally id mount my pump underneath the tank so it doesnt starve of fuel for just that few seconds when you crank the engine over after leaving it for a while, i wouldnt put it up front because if something were to happen and a fire starts in your engine bay while your engine is running, just remember your pump is there still pumping fuel up to your engine but thats my opinion. goodluck with it

cheers.

Do that......
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: 2TG fuel pump Tue, 12 April 2005 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got twin 45 webers and use a pierburg inline pump
with a pressure regulator running at 3.5psi. its a good
pump because its inline, has correct fittings attached,
is easy to install, self priming, pretty quiet operation,
can lift for a short distance if needed, and its $85 new
from local supercheapauto. comes with mounting brackets
and hardware. works fine for a 2L worked 2tg hybrid

[Updated on: Tue, 12 April 2005 00:32]

cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: 2TG fuel pump Wed, 13 April 2005 00:42 Go to previous message
Have sorted the elec pump no problems, and thanks for the feed back. Now I'm still left questioning as to why the oil galleries on the aux cam need to be blocked off? I don't understand why my aux cam stops short off the cam lobe for the mech fuel pump, is this a specific cam for 2tgeu?
Confused Cheers
Ciaran
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:HEY ALL.. wondering what to do with my 81 KE55
Next Topic:which clutch?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 15:27:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0066640377044678 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.