Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RCNIZE
Regular

February 2005
After a cheap good quality amp Sun, 10 April 2005 10:59 Go to next message
I'm after a cheap good quality amp for my Pioneer Sub and Speakers.
Any recomendations?
  Send a private message to this user    
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: After a cheap good quality amp Sun, 10 April 2005 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the jaycar range are pretty good.
RCNIZE
Regular

February 2005
Re: After a cheap good quality amp Sun, 10 April 2005 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok I'd like to get my mind clear about car audio first.
I'm not very good about car audio at all, and starting to add system into my car etc.

First think I'd like to know are amps, 4 channels?
4 channel are used for every sound being outputted?
Speakers, and subs?

If you have speakers at 220w and sub at 700w, you need an amp able to output a total of 920w?
So if you have a 200w amp your speakers/subs wont be at full potential?

Would like to get my head clear before I purchase one.
acreese
Regular

May 2004
Re: After a cheap good quality amp Mon, 11 April 2005 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1ST rule of Car Audio

Don't buy anything based on quoted PEAK POWER.

Make your decisions based on RMS power of speakers and amps. (along with build quality, price and performance considerations...)

A 1000Watt amp @ 200W RMS will be shithouse compared to an 800Watt amp @ 350RMS power. (assuming equal signal clarity)

For example the cheap and nasty amp i have is 4 channel 1000WATTS
4x250Watts @ 2ohms.... which is approx 4x125Watts at 4ohms.

Its RMS power per channel is 60W RMS @ 2ohms, (~ 30W RMS @4ohms).

My 400Watt Peak / 200W RMS sub therefore gets only ~120W RMS when 2 channels are bridged to it..... and my 6x9s get 30W RMS each (half what they can handle, but twice what the deck puts out).

Basically get an amp that has the best signal clarity and RMS power output per channel in your price range...

and don't stinge on the Power cable and RCA leads!! Mad

Good luck mate Smile

Adam

EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: After a cheap good quality amp Mon, 11 April 2005 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if they're underpowered, no, they wont run at full potential, but a 12" sub running at full potential is more than what most people want, aswell as it can damage the sub if your not careful with the volume control..

KICKER make AWESOME amps, bridgable, 4 channels are quite cheap aswell as good quality.

of course, after this, your quality is directly proportional to your budget.

good quality and cheap dont go together.

the general use for a 4 channel is to use two channels to power 2 speakers, and bridge the other two to run a sub.

Eldar.O.
RCNIZE
Regular

February 2005
Re: After a cheap good quality amp Mon, 11 April 2005 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any websites available to view the Kicker Amps?
Where can they be purchased?
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: After a cheap good quality amp Mon, 11 April 2005 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jaycar make big rms amps for good price
Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: After a cheap good quality amp Mon, 11 April 2005 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The jaycar (response) 4x50wrms amps are decent for driving lots of speakers and pretty good value at $150 or less.

2x150wrms for driving subs for about the same or the fairly rare 4x80wrms+1x200wrms for all of the above. I managed the 5 channel model and I love it Smile
RCNIZE
Regular

February 2005
Re: After a cheap good quality amp Wed, 13 April 2005 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Went over to jaycar and they wont be stocking most amps in 2 months time.
Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: After a cheap good quality amp Wed, 13 April 2005 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i recomend alpine mate Very Happy
RCNIZE
Regular

February 2005
Re: After a cheap good quality amp Wed, 13 April 2005 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Abit pricey for the amp, but im considering about the alpine speakers.
gr8r-x
Regular

September 2004
Re: After a cheap good quality amp Wed, 13 April 2005 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got the 4x50W RMS Jaycar amp in the Magna, running a set of splits up front and a 10" in the boot. It's loud enough to piss the neighbours off, but it does get a bit 'tinny' at loud volumes.
RCNIZE
Regular

February 2005
Re: After a cheap good quality amp Wed, 13 April 2005 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well thats good to hear as I am also thinking about getting a single 10"sub.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: After a cheap good quality amp Wed, 13 April 2005 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jorrs wrote on Wed, 13 April 2005 23:00

i recomend alpine mate Very Happy

I used to, and still use nice alpine decks in both my cars. But years ago when I had spent a p00 load on a nice V12 setup, someone decided they wanted it more than I did. Minus stereo, buckled wheels and a couple of other things. The 7 odd thou replacement cost meant my car was a write off Sad

Moral: unless you can keep an eye on your car 24/7, it's not worth going over the top with. With a decent head deck, and a matched set of amp/speakers/sub you'll be surprised how good it sounds.

Before I start, there's a million and one ways to skin a cat in the land of stereo setups.
If you're doing it on a budget and your deck has an ok power output (around 20wrms) then I'd suggest getting the most powerful jaycar 4 channel in your price range (if they're bridgeable and have a low pass filter).
Run your front two speakers off your deck, run your two rear speakers off two of the amps channels and bridge the other two channels for a sub.

And I agree, make sure you get decent quality RCA's/speaker/power wire.
RCNIZE
Regular

February 2005
Re: After a cheap good quality amp Wed, 13 April 2005 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can the 2 front speakers run off the amp?
I'm not thinking of adding rear speakers, just replacing the front speakers.

I have a Honda Headunit with cd stacker, on it it says 4x20w.
Thast not good enough?
I'm thinking not to replace the headunit.
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: After a cheap good quality amp Thu, 14 April 2005 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If others have not asked, whats your budget?.
RCNIZE
Regular

February 2005
Re: After a cheap good quality amp Thu, 14 April 2005 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
around 600$
jaycar amp $200
alpine 6" speakers $120
12inch sub $220

thats just about 500$
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: After a cheap good quality amp Thu, 14 April 2005 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes u can run ur fronts off the amp no problems

some people prefer massive 6x9's and sub off an amp and then crappy fronts off the Head unit for some reason

It messes up ur sound stage and everything sounds like its behind you, i prefer my music infront of me

But each to his own, most of my mates prefer a sound stage behind them *shrugs*

smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: After a cheap good quality amp Thu, 14 April 2005 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RCNIZE wrote on Thu, 14 April 2005 11:11

around 600$
jaycar amp $200
alpine 6" speakers $120
12inch sub $220

thats just about 500$

That looks good, and for a sub, go have a listen to a JL Audio WO4, i think it would be in your budget, and they have been rated best bang for buck sub for a while.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: After a cheap good quality amp Thu, 14 April 2005 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gearb0x is right in the fact that your ears face forward for a reason. But the thing he forgets is that a lot of cars only have the space for 4" speakers in the dash and unless you're forking out $500+ for a nice set of 4" speakers, or cut your doors up and install pods etc, you aren't going to have good sound anyways. Or you could use the stock door location and have the sound bounce around in the foot wells for a bit Rolling Eyes

The whole sound stage setup is the cheapest way to fill your car with loud music, that's it. Albeit not very good music, but 95% of the population can't notice the difference anyways.

I think the plan you have for an ok set of fronts, a sub and an amp to power the three is about the best you'll do for that budget.
Check your deck before you buy an amp, because if you don't have RCA outputs, then you'll have to make sure the amp has hi-pass inputs (most do).

Cheers,
Dave

[Updated on: Thu, 14 April 2005 01:50]

Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: After a cheap good quality amp Thu, 14 April 2005 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RCNIZE wrote on Wed, 13 April 2005 22:48

Went over to jaycar and they wont be stocking most amps in 2 months time.

Wrong.

Jaycar will be stocking a *NEW* range of Amps in ~1-2 months time.

AA0420 AMP CAR 2X80WRMS RESPONSE $169.95
AA0422 AMP CAR 4X50WRMS RESPONSE $199.95
AA0424 AMP CAR 2X150WRMS PREC. RESPONSE $249.95
AA0426 AMP CAR 4X100WRMS PREC. RESPONSE $299.95
AA0428 AMP CAR CLASS D 800WRMS $399

All ratings are True and tested RMS ratings.
These amps have a much better build quality and sound quality. They also look much better too!
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: After a cheap good quality amp Thu, 14 April 2005 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The new class D amp works VERY well with a pair of jaycar Carbon Fibre 12" woofers (CS2246) in 60L 30Hz ported boxes in a UZS131 Very Happy

for subs you cant beat the value of the Carbon Fibre 12". You tell me a sub that retails for $160.00 everyday of the week and performs THAT WELL!!!

http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=CS224 6
joash
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: After a cheap good quality amp Thu, 14 April 2005 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
back to the 10" vs 12"

i recently put a single 10" pioneer in my car.
got a Dominator amp, bit cheap, bit still sounds good.

kinda depends on what kinda music you listen to aswell.
i went for the 10 mainly coz i listne to hardcore/metal/rock kinda sutff.. and really want the quick punchy bass drum,as well as the nice throbbing bass.
i'm really impressed with the sound.. did the usual. plugged thge 2 back 6x9's into the amp and bridged the other 2 to the sub. sub came in a box too. i'm pretty sure there is an awful lot more to making a sub box than it just being wood, and having a hole in the front.
my mate has a cressida like myself, with two top-end alpine 12's and a rather expensive alpine amp running just the subs. and honestly... doesn't sound as good as my ten. it may also be the way he has them tuned.
sure he can crank his up a fair bit lounder than myne.. he could just about rattle his engine mounts loose with the subs... but in terms of the sound of the music at listening quality.. myne shat's all over it.
i think a 10 and 12 would be super sweet.. the 12 to carry those big real low notes... and a 10 to actually give it some punch.
but that's kinda just my opinion... if you just want to oonce around town making a shatload of noise saying 'look at me, i've got big ass bass'.. go a couple the 12's
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: After a cheap good quality amp Thu, 14 April 2005 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont go there.

i cant see mixing sub size is going to work.

there is ths whole phase of sound waves thing idon't fully understand but i'm sure it means delayed sounds or some sort of sound cancellation when you mix sizes?

i might be wrong ? but i doubt it....Something to look into

cheers

Nathan
gr8r-x
Regular

September 2004
Re: After a cheap good quality amp Thu, 14 April 2005 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Thu, 14 April 2005 16:22

Wrong.

Jaycar will be stocking a *NEW* range of Amps in ~1-2 months time.

AA0420 AMP CAR 2X80WRMS RESPONSE $169.95
AA0422 AMP CAR 4X50WRMS RESPONSE $199.95
AA0424 AMP CAR 2X150WRMS PREC. RESPONSE $249.95
AA0426 AMP CAR 4X100WRMS PREC. RESPONSE $299.95
AA0428 AMP CAR CLASS D 800WRMS $399

All ratings are True and tested RMS ratings.
These amps have a much better build quality and sound quality. They also look much better too!

You got any pics/specs of these? Just checked out Jaycar's site with no luck..

Also, don't forget to buy a sub box! Unless you know what you are doing, it'll be more of a pain in the arse than the extra couple of $'s you'll drop on a sub box..
RCNIZE
Regular

February 2005
Re: After a cheap good quality amp Thu, 14 April 2005 23:58 Go to previous message
Of course im buying a sub box.

The jaycar website hasnt been updated yet, they have a catologue there at jaycar which you can take a look at all the items they have, including all new stocks.

I've been told they will stock in 2 months which is june.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Engine Code Frenzy
Next Topic:Supra CT26 vs GT4 CT26
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 21:08:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010497093200684 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.