Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » THERMOFAN CONVERSIONS BEWARE!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

THERMOFAN CONVERSIONS BEWARE!! Fri, 08 April 2005 11:25 Go to next message
For those who are going to be doing thermofan conversions, i thought id let you know a few things about the toyota senders...

Now they all have different turn-on temperatures. The one im running on my ma70, and first trialed in the ma61 was a 90b..im guessing that might mean 90" turn on? The one its now running is a 50B...can someone confirm that it might be 50" turn on?
It just seems the 50 lets the water cool down a lot more than the 90....

The 90 was out of an ae92 corolla or sv21 camry, and it had a clear plug on it.

The 50 was out of a later model camry and corolla, they have red plugs.

Why are there variances?

[Updated on: Fri, 08 April 2005 11:26]

Send a private message to this user    
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: THERMOFAN CONVERSIONS BEWARE!! Fri, 08 April 2005 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1) Go to Autoparts store, look thru Trident catalogue and find a thermo switch with the same thread (probably M16 x 1.5) and your required turn on and off characteristics (temperature and polarity). Buy it.
2) ?????
3) Profit.
manmx83
Regular

July 2004
Re: THERMOFAN CONVERSIONS BEWARE!! Fri, 08 April 2005 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
davies craig kits have adjustable dial your own temp level where fans are switched on.I seem to remember their prices are a little silly though.cheers.Pete.
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: THERMOFAN CONVERSIONS BEWARE!! Fri, 08 April 2005 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Sat, 09 April 2005 00:25

1) Go to Autoparts store, look thru Trident catalogue and find a thermo switch with the same thread (probably M16 x 1.5) and your required turn on and off characteristics (temperature and polarity). Buy it.
2) ?????
3) Profit.

I have observed this answer pattern from this user before. What does it mean?
manmx83
Regular

July 2004
Re: THERMOFAN CONVERSIONS BEWARE!! Fri, 08 April 2005 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prolly means GT has had a few beers being this time of day and week lol.He is very helpful and knows his stuff though so its prolly good advice! cheers.pete. Laughing
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: THERMOFAN CONVERSIONS BEWARE!! Fri, 08 April 2005 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
September_Squall wrote on Sat, 09 April 2005 00:56

I have observed this answer pattern from this user before. What does it mean?

Gratuitous ripoff from an episode of South Park. Elves steal underwear for profit. Their business plan was:
1) Steal underwear.
2) ????
3) Profit.
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: THERMOFAN CONVERSIONS BEWARE!! Fri, 08 April 2005 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the clarification. I am enlightened.
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: THERMOFAN CONVERSIONS BEWARE!! Fri, 08 April 2005 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
most toyota senders switch on at about 90C and then switch of around 80-85C , it would be highly unlikely to switch off at 50C as the engine after running for more than 10mins would not get that low again until it has stopped for at least 15-20 mins which means once the fans have switched on they wont switch back off again until you stop driving. The best thing to do is get a vdo sender switch to the range you want and youll also need the adaptor to mount it into the toyota factory fitting. Get one to the exact range you want so you know when your fans will switch in and out.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: THERMOFAN CONVERSIONS BEWARE!! Fri, 08 April 2005 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
some thermo sensors arent for fans

my hilux had a sensor that at 50 or 60 it turned on the overdrive

so if i selected overdrive it would not work until engine got hotter

other times thermo switches might be for the air con

anyway i only use ones from corolla 4age or 20vs as i know they turn on at around 90

81LOWLUX
Regular

March 2005
Re: THERMOFAN CONVERSIONS BEWARE!! Fri, 08 April 2005 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
davis-craig ajustable switch would be the best they are aprox $70, i think i got one at home if you want to come to brisbane northside to get it? $20 and its yours Smile
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: THERMOFAN CONVERSIONS BEWARE!! Fri, 08 April 2005 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
those switches suk they always leak if u fit them in hose

i usually slide the temp thingy inbetween the radiator fins instead of the rad hose

u can buy these devices these days that u connect to power earth and one wire goes to the temperature gauge wire

and u adjust the device to read of the factory temp sensor for the gauge
u can adjust when fan cuts in

but they are like 150 bucks

ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: THERMOFAN CONVERSIONS BEWARE!! Fri, 08 April 2005 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sideshow wrote on Sat, 09 April 2005 09:04

i usually slide the temp thingy inbetween the radiator fins instead of the rad hose

u can buy these devices these days that u connect to power earth and one wire goes to the temperature gauge wire

and u adjust the device to read of the factory temp sensor for the gauge
u can adjust when fan cuts in

but they are like 150 bucks

I am running a Davis Craig Thermo sender thingy in my MA61, I got mine for AUD$65.

I have driven 2,000kms on it and mine is not leaking. A forum member installed it as I wasn't familiar with the setup. The sender is setup where if the temp sits in the middle for too long the thermos come on when the temp still reads middle, thermostat opens and the temp drops to below the bar...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/CelicaSupra/ThermoRadiator/3f9da519.jpg

Cheers.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: THERMOFAN CONVERSIONS BEWARE!! Sat, 09 April 2005 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The beauty of the catalogue is that it has all the specs there for your perusal. You also have the added security that you have purchased a new part. When you look through the catalogue you will see that there is a large range of temperatures over which the switches work. As Sideshow alluded, there are some that cut in at 50-60*C for overdrive control or for AC fans. I suppose what I wanted was one that turned the fans off at a temp just above the thermostat opening temp and turned them on at a temp maybe 10*C above the thermostat opening temp - I picked a 90 on 85 off, open, dual wire, M16 x 1.5 switch. It cost me $65.

I suppose the problems I have with the adjustable types are that it potentially is a leak point, you have to adjust it (so there's endless testing with a thermometer), it can easily go out of adjustment (one careless slip of the hand and it's gone unless you reference marked it) and it's just an inelegant solution - it doesn't look factory or tidy (IMHO).

Be careful with the Toyota ones - some switch at over 100 degrees (interestingly the 7M ones!). They also tend to be "closed" at below the cutoff temp such that you need to invert the signal (use an inverter relay) to operate the thermos at above the switching temp. No biggie but just an extra hassle.

It's all good - nice to see there are a multitude of ways to solve the problem.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: THERMOFAN CONVERSIONS BEWARE!! Sat, 09 April 2005 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just get a motec to run the fan Very Happy
madmont
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: THERMOFAN CONVERSIONS BEWARE!! Sat, 09 April 2005 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I used a set temp thermoswitch to turn on my electric fan it was a pain having it on at highway speeds as the temp did not go down enough to turn it off so I wired in a microswitch with a flap soldered to the actuating lever and placed it in the airstream in front of the radiator. Now it turns off at 50ks and does not run unnecessarily at high speed.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: THERMOFAN CONVERSIONS BEWARE!! Sat, 09 April 2005 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Sat, 09 April 2005 10:41

is this the best solution financially? Razz

I think all decent ECU's can control the thermos as my wolf can.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: THERMOFAN CONVERSIONS BEWARE!! Sat, 09 April 2005 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
then after u get the motec to run the fan

get a digi 1 to run the engine

easily solved Smile

easiest way is tridon cataloge many diff types to choose from
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: THERMOFAN CONVERSIONS BEWARE!! Sat, 09 April 2005 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ZZT231 wrote on Sat, 09 April 2005 09:18

sideshow wrote on Sat, 09 April 2005 09:04

I am running a Davis Craig Thermo sender thingy in my MA61, I got mine for AUD$65.
I have driven 2,000kms on it and mine is not leaking. A forum member installed it as I wasn't familiar with the setup. The sender is setup where if the temp sits in the middle for too long the thermos come on when the temp still reads middle, thermostat opens and the temp drops to below the bar...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/CelicaSupra/ThermoRadiator/3f9da519.jpg
Cheers.

Im the sucker that installed this one, sometimes thay are the easyest soloution ($35 from repco) take care with the copper tube, use plenty of good silastic and let it cure for about 30min then start the car with the cap off to allow the heat to fully cure it - this typicly stops any leaks, but a propper thermo switch is allways a prefered option if your ecu does not have a output for a fan.
other cheapo options are thermal circit breakers from jaycar at about $5 each but this requires creative mounting.

P.S sideshow carefull installing it in the fins if a tube(s) is partly blocked or becomes so you can get cold spots i highly recomend it being in the water.

[Updated on: Sat, 09 April 2005 02:21]

Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: THERMOFAN CONVERSIONS BEWARE!! Sat, 09 April 2005 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you worried about the price of the davis craig item, a NZ complany called ICE make the same thing for about half the price.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: THERMOFAN CONVERSIONS BEWARE!! Sat, 09 April 2005 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Sat, 09 April 2005 10:41

Er....yes, well, um....that was solution number 2. Razz Just type in the temperatures you want it to switch on and off.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: THERMOFAN CONVERSIONS BEWARE!! Sat, 09 April 2005 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the switch was DEFINITELY the one for the thermo fans on the camry, its identical to the older style bar colour and was the only one of such type fitted to the car.

Put it this way, with that switch, it keeps the motor a little below 1/2 on the sa63 gauge...
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: THERMOFAN CONVERSIONS BEWARE!! Sat, 09 April 2005 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
easy way to test what the switch is actually doing - dunk the sendor (all wired up and with an earth) into large container of boiling water - it should trigger the fan.

borrow your mum's cooking thermometer, leave it in the water a well, and when the fans turn off - check the thermo.

i have a smarmy digital cooking one that i use for testing temp sensors now - ranges up to 130 degree C.

note: some of the lower-temp switching items are used by the:
-heating & air-con systems to know what temp the heating water is at (if the coolant is cold, then it wont expect hot air from it when doing climate control)
-auto transmission ecu, to not engage over-drive or TC lockup until engine/box is warmed up
-ecu to disable performance boosting things vvt, etc until engine is warmed up

cheers,
charles.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: THERMOFAN CONVERSIONS BEWARE!! Sat, 09 April 2005 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats what i mean tho..it was the only one on the car wich looked relevant Confused same plug and all...

ill drive it round for a coupla days and see how the temp goes
if its too cold ill look at something different like aforementioned
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: THERMOFAN CONVERSIONS BEWARE!! Sat, 09 April 2005 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bah, just wire it up to ign power. much better.
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: THERMOFAN CONVERSIONS BEWARE!! Sun, 10 April 2005 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u get different variances because the sendors are in different places of the engines and also they run at different temperatures.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: THERMOFAN CONVERSIONS BEWARE!! Sun, 10 April 2005 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Sat, 09 April 2005 19:16

ill drive it round for a coupla days and see how the temp goes
if its too cold ill look at something different like aforementioned

like a thermostat??
TheStitt
Forums Junkie

Membership Secretary

June 2002

Re: THERMOFAN CONVERSIONS BEWARE!! Sun, 10 April 2005 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I to was running a repco bulb type set up. Cost $45 and was great did the job quite well. I sealed it in with silicon and had no problems there.

However ans GT said its not very cosmetic didn't look factory or really that nice overall.

I think with my new rad I will be looking at going thru the tridon catoluge.
81LOWLUX
Regular

March 2005
Re: THERMOFAN CONVERSIONS BEWARE!! Sun, 10 April 2005 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you run the copper tube into the underside of your top radiator hose then under the lip of the top tank, around the side, then mount the control box under the radiator suport pannel, drill a small hole in the pannel and poke the adjuster nob through it then it is 99% invisible...
madmont
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: THERMOFAN CONVERSIONS BEWARE!! Mon, 11 April 2005 05:00 Go to previous message
what about one of these?
http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=KC538 1&CATID=&keywords=adjustable+temperature+s witch&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOn ly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&am p;priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Newbie Question
Next Topic:1JZGTE drinking Oil
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 18:20:34 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065100193023682 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.