Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
U-Drive Formula Ford drive-day Wed, 06 April 2005 23:59 Go to next message
I'm doing the 25 lap introductory course at Calder park Saturday Morning - Will have pics up Sunday if I can swing a digital camera. Anything anyone wants to know while I'm there?

Mmmmmmm... . . sweet sweet Formula Ford . . . Evil or Very Mad
  Send a private message to this user    
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: U-Drive Formula Ford drive-day Thu, 07 April 2005 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont wear big shoes unless u wanna press all 3 pedals at the same time.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: U-Drive Formula Ford drive-day Thu, 07 April 2005 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehe - I'll be taking my karting shoes just incase their shoes don't fit Me. Don't think they'll let Me wear any of my stuff tho coz it's not rated fireproof for Car-racing. Only Kart-certified. Have to see tho, coz I don't think you need all the safety kit for a drive day, only proper racing . . . Confused
M.J.H
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: U-Drive Formula Ford drive-day Thu, 07 April 2005 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st184 sillycar wrote on Thu, 07 April 2005 09:59

Anything anyone wants to know while I'm there?

Yeah i would like to know what uprights and brakes they use on the front and what they stop like.
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: U-Drive Formula Ford drive-day Thu, 07 April 2005 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I want to know how I can do the same thing dammit:cry:
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: U-Drive Formula Ford drive-day Thu, 07 April 2005 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
riceburna73 wrote on Thu, 07 April 2005 16:03

I want to know how I can do the same thing dammit

Pay money Wink

I did it a few years ago at Adelaide International Raceway.

Pretty much all we did was do laps following a pace car (all in line, no overtaking).
Max speed we did was ~170, and cornering was rather slow.
Kinda boring for the $$s.

Was still a good experience to drive a Formula Ford tho Very Happy
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: U-Drive Formula Ford drive-day Thu, 07 April 2005 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
riceburna73 wrote on Thu, 07 April 2005 16:33

I want to know how I can do the same thing dammit:cry:

Regular price: $575

My Price: $300 Shocked

Got a gift-voucher from a dude who wasn't gunna use it. Very Happy

Apparently only the first 5-lap outing is behind teh pace-car, which is a clubman, so not THAT slow. After that I think there's 4 more sessions? Guess I'll find out . . . Confused

Edit: the criteria are that you're over 18, got driver's licence, less than 6'5" tall, lighter than 120kgs, and can drive a manual gearbox.

[Updated on: Thu, 07 April 2005 23:01]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: U-Drive Formula Ford drive-day Thu, 07 April 2005 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah pay money most that i have seen don't let you take the cars over 5krpm, they tape the tacho after that so you have no idea.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: U-Drive Formula Ford drive-day Sat, 09 April 2005 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BOOYAH ! !

That was SWEEET ! !

We got a 12-lap free run for the third and last session - AwesomE !

Must admit, the two 5-lap "pace car" sessions were teh pooh - The second sessin especially, since I was more or less comfortable with the car, and just wanted to be let loose to find my own pace.

Cars handle pretty good, although they're setup for quite alot of understeer to make them easy for poofters to drive. My car had a "monoshock" front-end, which is renowned for being an understeering pig, even when setup properly. Engines were punchy for a 1600cc, which you'd expect in a car weighing a touch over 400kg. I could throttle-steer it in 2nd, but there was just too much understeer dialed into the chassis to get it floating in a 4-wheel drift in 3rd.

Definately worth the $300 I paid to get My voucher. Very Happy
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: U-Drive Formula Ford drive-day Mon, 11 April 2005 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Thu, 07 April 2005 11:47

SO TRUE ! !

They supply race-boots, however they didn't have a problem with Me wearing all my karting gear (all FIA approved), so I had teh tiny slim-line kart booties on. Still hard to only get the pedal(s) you want without stepping all over the pedalbox!

Oh - I was shifting at 6,000rpm in the flat-out session - nobody seemed to mind, perhaps because I wasn't screwing any upshifts. Very Happy

They're easy to drive incase anyone was curious - just gotta get the hang of the sloppy gear linkage and crash-box.

Photos may not appear until next weekend when I get a CD off the guy I lent the Camera from. Does anyone know where I can host a video or two?
Skein
Regular

November 2002

Re: U-Drive Formula Ford drive-day Mon, 11 April 2005 07:41 Go to previous message
st184 sillycar wrote on Mon, 11 April 2005 10:34

rob_RA40 wrote on Thu, 07 April 2005 11:47

Oh - I was shifting at 6,000rpm in the flat-out session - nobody seemed to mind, perhaps because I wasn't screwing any upshifts. Very Happy

They're easy to drive incase anyone was curious - just gotta get the hang of the sloppy gear linkage and crash-box.

They won't mind as long as you ain't granny shiftin' and you double clutch like you're supposed to. That way you don't endanger the manifold.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Help in finding previous owner
Next Topic:ATTENTION EARLY TOYOTA ENTHUSIASTS
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 14:18:53 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049328804016113 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.