Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Sway bars?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
boofis
Regular

December 2004
Sway bars? Mon, 11 April 2005 05:55 Go to next message
Hey
Tried a search couldn't find what i was looking for. On a RWD car that you're looking to race should you have a big front bar or big rear bar. Or something of the likes or totally different? ANd whats the technicals behind it?
Thanks
Troy
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Sway bars? Mon, 11 April 2005 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can't generalise like that - requirements vary depending on the car, the driver, and the intended purpose.
boofis
Regular

December 2004
Re: Sway bars? Mon, 11 April 2005 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah fair nough. Well can you help me out lol! I want good circuit handling and its a 1980 KE55 corolla.
THanks
Troy
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Sway bars? Mon, 11 April 2005 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I recommend driving the car on the track in its present form to diagnose the existing handling ailments (if any). From there you can set out an upgrade path.
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: Sway bars? Tue, 12 April 2005 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it depends on the application of the car

if you're doing twisty off-camber stuff like hillclimbs, you're probably better retaining the stock front bar and removing the rear bar altogether, so the rear wheels have traction on sloped corners

if you're driving on larger flatter tracks like queensland raceway etc, or dirt/tarmac rallying, then upgraded front and/or rear bars may be helpful, but you'd really need to take the car out and see how it handles and where you (or someone who knows alot about handling) thinks it needs improvement

if you want to drive it on the street and say it's a racecar, paint the stock swaybars red and spend your money on other parts of the car that matter more
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Sway bars? Tue, 12 April 2005 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why are you on probation?
boofis
Regular

December 2004
Re: Sway bars? Tue, 12 April 2005 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whos on probation?
Thanks
Troy
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Sway bars? Tue, 12 April 2005 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Super Jamie.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Sway bars? Tue, 12 April 2005 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Buy this and all will be revealed

Seriously, if you expect to build a race car and you have no idea how a "sway bar" affects handling and performance then you need to do a lot of study.
boofis
Regular

December 2004
Re: Sway bars? Tue, 12 April 2005 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey dude.
I actually knew how they worked except a certain person who shall go nameless told me the exact opposite and I knew it wasn't so he said start a thread and we'll see, but I was right! Thanks for that link, I'll prolly still buy that! lol!
Thanks
Troy
P.S. Super Jamie awesome Old Corolla page with all that info. Doing more reading thanks man!

[Updated on: Tue, 12 April 2005 11:36]

Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: Sway bars? Wed, 13 April 2005 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
don't ask Razz
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: Sway bars? Wed, 13 April 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Too late.
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: Sway bars? Wed, 13 April 2005 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
because i was a tool, have been banned for a while, now i'm back and evidently on probation. let's stay on topic
boofis
Regular

December 2004
Re: Sway bars? Wed, 13 April 2005 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep and an update, I'm getting 20mm frnt and 16mm rear. So yeah should be all good. Thanks to all for the advice! Smile
THanks
Troy
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: Sway bars? Wed, 13 April 2005 07:19 Go to previous message
i know some racers who've upgraded their swaybars, then gone back to a stock front bar to get better turn in. see how you go
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1GGTE boost
Next Topic:TA22 struts into KE20
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 16:24:02 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0086779594421387 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.