Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Spark plug and leads for st185 GT4 Tue, 12 April 2005 03:45 Go to next message
Hey i just went to supercheap and asked about ordering some plugs and leads and they were rediculously priced!! cause they reckoned u cant get normal plugs for them so the platnum ones r like 80 for 4 Shocked and the leads for $170 for a set of 4 $85 WTF. I have been told u can use normal spark plugs on gt4's so just wondering if its possible and also is there anywhere i could get leads cheaper for cause $170 is just stupid when most kits r like max $60. Any help and suggestions would be great. Cheers,
Bill

[Updated on: Tue, 12 April 2005 03:46]

Send a private message to this user    
AaronST185
Regular

December 2004
Re: Spark plug and leads for st185 GT4 Tue, 12 April 2005 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think they (Toyota) recommend platinum for the simple fact that they are a bitch to get to and you don't want to change them regularly.
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Spark plug and leads for st185 GT4 Tue, 12 April 2005 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can use NGK BKR7E plugs. They're a copper plug and shouldn't be too expensive. They will however need to be replaced at every 10000Km's or so making them less cost efficient than platinums in the long run.

For leads I would reccomend Magnecor, they are a sponsor of the club as well as making a really good quality product. It won't be cheap but it will be good value.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Spark plug and leads for st185 GT4 Tue, 12 April 2005 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just use Iridium plugs not the platinums.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: Spark plug and leads for st185 GT4 Tue, 12 April 2005 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just bought a set of plugs from Stewart Toyota (Kirawee) and they were $40 for a set of genuine plugs. I'd give your local toyota guys a call.

[Updated on: Tue, 12 April 2005 07:33]

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Spark plug and leads for st185 GT4 Tue, 12 April 2005 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can get TRD plugs from pentrith toyota Smile

a set will be sourced soon for my GT4 ( running platinums here )
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: Spark plug and leads for st185 GT4 Tue, 12 April 2005 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I use to run ngk iridiums bkr6eix. now im using ngk bkr7e gapped to .07. they go well.I was recommended these plugs by the American's on www.celicatech.com. check the site out of your after some more info on your gt4.

I'm using topgun leads atm, i will be replacing them soon with something better though.
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Spark plug and leads for st185 GT4 Tue, 12 April 2005 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also the reason im asking bout this is that at the moment my car is misfiring a bit at low revs under load so i thought it would be a good idea to get new plugs and leads incase thats the problem. Does this sound like it could be a cause of the problem? Thanx for info too Very Happy
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Spark plug and leads for st185 GT4 Wed, 13 April 2005 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If the problem is ignition related you really should also get a new rotor button and dizzy cap.

[Updated on: Wed, 13 April 2005 01:07]

WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Spark plug and leads for st185 GT4 Wed, 13 April 2005 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sizzy cap is distributer cap right ? but what is the rotor button ? me still new to bits under the bonnet Razz
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Spark plug and leads for st185 GT4 Wed, 13 April 2005 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep. The rotor button is the component inside the distributor cap that passes the ignition charge to the contacts in the cap to then send it to the spark plugs.
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Spark plug and leads for st185 GT4 Wed, 13 April 2005 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I replaced the spark plugs on my car last night and it has made a big difference. The car is runs soooo much smoother now. Might still get some leads but we'll see. The ones i took out of it were nd brand ? Confused anyone got any idea what they r ?
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: Spark plug and leads for st185 GT4 Thu, 14 April 2005 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ND is nippon denso. its a japanese brand. they make good spark plugs.i would only put ND or NGK plugs in my motor.
what type of plugs did u put back in your car?
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Spark plug and leads for st185 GT4 Thu, 14 April 2005 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I put ngk BKR6EK in its goin heaps better now. I figure the old ones had just seen there day. Would those ND ones be the standard plugs in a jap spec engine? im trying to figure if they were the stock plugs to get an approx k's on the engine in my car cause its an imported engine with different k's to car. Thanx,
Bill
deeps
Regular

November 2004
Re: Spark plug and leads for st185 GT4 Thu, 14 April 2005 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
170 for the leads???

do you have a pic of the ones you have in there now? are they square topped, with a deep "nozzle" type thing?
deeps
Regular

November 2004
Re: Spark plug and leads for st185 GT4 Thu, 14 April 2005 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also, what engine does it have in it now?
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Spark plug and leads for st185 GT4 Thu, 14 April 2005 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
deeps wrote on Thu, 14 April 2005 18:06

170 for the leads???

do you have a pic of the ones you have in there now? are they square topped, with a deep "nozzle" type thing?

Yep thats the ones. The engine is still a 3S-GTE but its been replaced and i think originally it was an aus-spec gt4 so it had the aus spec engine but i think it now has a jap spec engine which was imported.
bajabus
Regular

March 2005
Re: Spark plug and leads for st185 GT4 Thu, 14 April 2005 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get the plat. plugs - for all the good reasons listed above.
deeps
Regular

November 2004
Re: Spark plug and leads for st185 GT4 Fri, 15 April 2005 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok they sound like the leads on my car.. if you post up a pic i can confirm it for u

But anyway, i got Top Gun leads, which are a decent brand... the model number on the Top gun is

TG4473C

the C is coz my car is an import and it needs an extra cable to go to the coil.

They cost me 100 bucks at autopro. Probably not high performance, but i didn't want to pay anymore for mere spark plug leads.

WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Spark plug and leads for st185 GT4 Fri, 15 April 2005 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool thanx. I'll check it out. I didn't really wanna pay that much for leads either....
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Spark plug and leads for st185 GT4 Fri, 15 April 2005 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wantaturbo- i hope you kept your aus spec turbo!!
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Spark plug and leads for st185 GT4 Fri, 15 April 2005 04:30 Go to previous message
Classique71 wrote on Fri, 15 April 2005 12:44

wantaturbo- i hope you kept your aus spec turbo!!

Engine was already changed when i bought the car and he said the turbo was also not from that engine but is a ct26 with a higher flowing unit? so at the moment i have no idea what kinda of turbo it is Confused how can i check what kind of ct26 turbo it is ? because i have no idea if its ceramic of metal...

[Updated on: Fri, 15 April 2005 04:32]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:TOM'S RACING AE86
Next Topic:Corona DRIFT!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 16:02:16 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0067398548126221 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.