Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Richard84
Regular

October 2002
RTA sucks Fri, 06 December 2002 09:24 Go to next message
I know that ain't news to anyone but her's something new to me:
A chick at work asked for the book for the green Ps test(NSW), because you now apparently have to pay 35 bucks for it! Plus 35 bucks to sit the test, plus 30 bucks for the licence if you pass!
What jerks. They make us pay our way through all these shitty licencing stages, Ls, red & green Ps all with lousy limits on speed and try to teach us to drive like little grannies, when they could make us spend a couple of hundred bucks on an advanced driving course, teach us how to really handle a car and give us all the same licence at the end and less people die on the roads. That's how it works in most European countries. Teach us how to speed, and most of us won't or will at least survive it.
Cheers.
  Send a private message to this user    
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: RTA sucks Sat, 07 December 2002 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mmmm, this is one of my pet hates.
I read a little article in the paper yesterday saying pretty much the same thing, but the reason it doesn't happen is because it will take about 20 years to start improving road toll/accident statistics through better trained drivers (yeah, we have to wait for the last of the useless old farts to get off the bloody road). None of the politicians are gonna make policies that won't have any effect before the next time they are elected, so they choose quick fix solutions that simply give a false sense of security to the majority of the voting public (which let's face it, are pretty dumb).

It's been shown that road accidents have actually increased around speed camera areas. Somewhere last week I heard about the 3 cameras right near the spit bridge have caused a huge increase in the number of accidents around them.

And don't forget the huge amount of money the Govt. makes off fines. Where would they get all that cash if we never got booked for anything?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: RTA sucks Sat, 07 December 2002 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Richard84 wrote on Fri, 06 December 2002 20:24

....when they could make us spend a couple of hundred bucks on an advanced driving course, teach us how to really handle a car and give us all the same licence at the end and less people die on the roads. That's how it works in most European countries. Teach us how to speed, and most of us won't or will at least survive it.

Except that numerous short trials conducted have shown that advanced driving courses for young drivers actually increases accident rates (they didn't study death rates as it is statistically too rare an event). It is presumed that instead of learning to drive defensively, they actually were filled with a sense of invincibility, and drove more aggressively, resulting in more accidents.
Remember that 18 -25 year old group have a higher accident rate than even the >75 yo group (a group of people that have accidents due to failing systems - vision, hearing, cognition, processing), so experience counts for even more than looking and hearing. Unfortunately, experience can't be bottled into a flashy (but fun) 6 hour course. It takes years.
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: RTA sucks Sat, 07 December 2002 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree totally on this...

The new licencing system is a scam... I reckon they just did it to fund their new pay packets...

What a rip, 90 bux for my Green P's...

How do all of these tests make us a better driver??? All you have to do is to learn how to pass a test and you have your licence... Is stupid that they make us pay heaps to do a test which they performed on the old computers... So that means that they didn't have to fund for new computers or anything, just wanted more money...

Has anyone also noticed their cost cutting of dodgy "P" plates??? They can't even put the colour inside the lines now... Some of them that I got were like 2cms out...
Twinky
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RTA sucks Sun, 08 December 2002 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dont forget the green p's licence ($60) last 2 years. Doesnt a normal black license cost like $30 a year to renew?? Just a thought Rolling Eyes

But yeh having to pay for the actual test is just a fucking scam. But on the other hand it does stop morons doing the test like 7 times before they pass which would waste the rta's time.

Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RTA sucks Sun, 08 December 2002 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, owning/registering and driving a car in NSW and VIC is quite an expensive exercise (compared to other states and territories), so what's new!

Can't wait to see your posts/opinions when you have been off your Ps for 4-5 years on the then, current bunch of P platers.... Confused

[Updated on: Sun, 08 December 2002 12:13]

Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: RTA sucks Sun, 08 December 2002 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
atleast when you see girls with green p's you know they atleast 18years old Smiley =
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RTA sucks Sun, 08 December 2002 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh shit yeah Bugman!!!!

Cool Cool
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: RTA sucks Sun, 08 December 2002 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey, I'd just like to point out I have been off my Ps for 4-5 years.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: RTA sucks Sun, 08 December 2002 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ouch i've been off them for 8 years......hey WTF is a green P anyways?

i think in vic you get your L's at 16 and then P's at 18.

although if you lose all your points you have to have your P's longer than 3 years - a guy i know will be on his P's until he's 27!!!!
Richard84
Regular

October 2002
Re: RTA sucks Mon, 09 December 2002 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As gianttomato points out, adavanced courses can give a false sense of security. I did consider this since I know I drove around like a major hoon for a while there once I knew how Very Happy
But I still believe that many accidents could be prevented should this course be mandatory. Situations such as a pedestrian running out in front of you, driving in wet conditions and learning to regain control of a car. A couple of my friends have spun out, one hit a wall and wrote off her AE82 (sad day Crying or Very Sad ) 'cause she fought the steering and locked the brakes. If she knew what to do, the Rolla would still be kicking.
I'd say for guys, it may create a sense of invincibility, girls I doubt it would.
And the RTA are a bunch of money hungry scam artists that believe driving is an impossible exercise. Next, 40 instead of fifty zones I'll bet. And is it true now that you get automatic disqualifcation of licence if you go 130kmh in NSW, no matter what?
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RTA sucks Mon, 09 December 2002 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Richard,

Yes I had heard the following:

"Although I can't find the info on the RTA or Police sites, from the same source as above, a reminder that from the 1st of December, 20Km and over is an automatic loss of licence. Also, every driving offence will incur an additional 1 demerit point to the existing amount"

I have yet to get confirmation of it as yet. Fark I hope it's a rumour. Though it does sound like a "stay safe this summer" sort of thing which has the added cash injection for our local governments....bless 'em!
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: RTA sucks Tue, 10 December 2002 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's not 20ks & over the limit, it is like Richard said, for over 130km/h. But really this has no real effect except in 110km/h zones, cos if you're doing 130 in any other zone you'd be losing your licence anyway.
Previously you'd only get hit with a 180 buck or so fine & 3 points for 130 in a 110 zone.
Richard84
Regular

October 2002
Re: RTA sucks Tue, 10 December 2002 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Man this state has gone crazy. I'm pretty sure it's true.
corollafreak
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: RTA sucks Sat, 14 December 2002 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey you reckon its hard in the city to get them where i go to get my p's in the bush they want pass ya until youv'e been four times and it really sh+its me off becuase of all the money i've forked out and couldn't really afford to for a lousy booking in reciept that must be gold lined or something like that and when i got my greenslip through NRMA they had attached a letter saying in one section in bold that a majority of crashes that have killed people are in the age bracket of 16-19 years old. really fu+ck+ed.
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: RTA sucks Sat, 05 April 2003 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didnt wanna open up a new thread

Red P's = 4 points yeah ?
Green P's = ? points

Full license = 12 points

can someone fill the ? with a number pls

Ta
Mani
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: RTA sucks Sat, 05 April 2003 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd ask my brother, but he's lost his P's twice, and not yet made it more than 6 months into red Ps ... and currently suspended
so no, I cant help at all Smile
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: RTA sucks Sat, 05 April 2003 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Red P's = 4 points...
Green P's +3 = 7 points...
Full License = 12 points...

(of course, thus providing that you don't lose any points...)
Soarin
Regular

June 2002
Re: RTA sucks Sat, 05 April 2003 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heh green P's... you pay $90 to sit in front of a computer for 10 minutes... Razz Can you feel a scam going on here?! Rolling Eyes
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: RTA sucks Sat, 05 April 2003 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanx Benn, are there legalities u dont know ?

Tell me about it soarin

Exclamation

[Updated on: Sat, 05 April 2003 13:28]

Widowmaker
Regular

November 2002
Re: RTA sucks Sat, 05 April 2003 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
uh oh can someone clear this up for me , ok heres the deal i got my red P's i think it was 1 or 2 years ago then i though well after a year you can take them off then i found out you need green P plates or somthing. but in the ACT you can do this thing called "P off" you pay like $80 or somthing and sit in a room for 4 hours talking about stuff and then when you pass you can remove your P plates and get a certificate so if you get pulled over but the best part is you get 4 extra points so 8 in total , now with all this green P plate tests and that is there any point in me doing it ? since i did this course all i really have to do is wait untill i can get full license ?

someone help me Sad
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: RTA sucks Sat, 05 April 2003 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd help ya... but you're from Canberra

J/M

Smile
Widowmaker
Regular

November 2002
Re: RTA sucks Sat, 05 April 2003 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that's it im rallying all the public servants together and where gonna come and beat you up .... although im sure they will just sit around drinking coffee discussing how they will do it spent some money on things they will never use and in the end will just end up where we started off Laughing
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: RTA sucks Sat, 05 April 2003 13:52 Go to previous message
Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:the beast is on the road
Next Topic:Sydney Shipping companies?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-