Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 4a-c to 4a-fc in a AE82 - any issues?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
haggis
Regular

May 2002
4a-c to 4a-fc in a AE82 - any issues? Mon, 09 December 2002 03:06 Go to next message
After searching the forums, i still havent come up with the answers i'm after, so here goes....

My 4a-c died yesterday (head gasket, 2nd time this year!) so it looks like its time to train it up as a boat anchor.

I've been offered a very good deal on a 4a-fc from an AE92 ($200). While i want a 20V, its still a while before it will happen, and i need to get the AE82 running again in the mean time.

Are there any hassles in swaping a 4a-c for a 4a-fc that people would know about? Things like:

does the AC bracket fit on the 4a-fc and still clear the exhaust;

is there a problem with the starter motor being at the front of the gearbox;

what kind of fuel pump does the 4a-fc use;

are the 4a-fc's all unleaded engines;

etc...

Thanks in advance...

Craig.

[Updated on: Mon, 09 December 2002 05:55]

Send a private message to this user    
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4a-c to 4a-fc in a AE82 - any issues? Tue, 10 December 2002 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think your going to find out like I am... But I'm going a 7AFC be interesting to compare notes.
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4a-c to 4a-fc in a AE82 - any issues? Tue, 10 December 2002 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Craig,

The FC should be pretty simple. But is by no means a 'good' (performance) engine.

What you could try (providing the bottom end isn't too rooted), is swapping the head for a 4AGE DOHC'er on the original bottom end and running a pair of carbs with simple adaptor.

To me the process and results sound pretty simple, No ECU to worry about. Head will bolt straight to the block, much better flow (HP potential)

There will be a little more to it than that like you'll still need a new head gasket, but i think although still not being a match for a 'proper' 4AGE or 20v, the results should still be worth it.

Maybe im underestimating the difficulty, so check with someone else before listening to anything i say.
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 4a-c to 4a-fc in a AE82 - any issues? Tue, 10 December 2002 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWIW, I've already mentioned that I will be selling a FWD 4AGE Bluetop package but am waiting for a digital camera so I can post pics up.

Package will include the engine, harness, ECU, extra FWD TVIS manifold set + MAP & other sensors & FWD manifold etc.

Looking at around $600 ONO for whole package as it's got to go & I need the space. Engine was a replacement from JMS for a dud one I got from them earlier on.

Look out in the for sale columns soon.

Cheers.
Richard84
Regular

October 2002
Re: 4a-c to 4a-fc in a AE82 - any issues? Tue, 10 December 2002 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You're getting a 4A-FC!?! Man I feel for you. Though it'll be a step up from a 4A-C. Don't expect oodles of horses, but response is pretty good and it goes smooth if you don't try to hoon too much. It should fit. My cus has one in his AE82 but he got it like that, so I can't help tell you how it fit. For 200 bucks, it ain't worth fiddling with your rooted 4A-C, get the FC for now, 20v later.
haggis
Regular

May 2002
Re: 4a-c to 4a-fc in a AE82 - any issues? Tue, 10 December 2002 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Richard84. I dont suppose you have a picture of it installed around somewhere?

Remeber guys, i need this to get the car running only. Performance is not yet an issue... that when the 20V happens...

Craig.
Richard84
Regular

October 2002
Re: 4a-c to 4a-fc in a AE82 - any issues? Wed, 11 December 2002 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No I don't man. Not of his AE82, but I can post a pic of my 4A-fc if you like no problem. But I doubt it'll be of any use to you, would it? PM me if you wanna see it and I'll e-mail it to you. Also, don't underestomate the power of the FC. First and second gears are a bit of a bumpy and slow ride, but once you hit some revs in thrd, you can get a fair bit of torque built up. Mine easily clears 90km/h in third. Alright for a carby 1.6 I thought.
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 4a-c to 4a-fc in a AE82 - any issues? Wed, 11 December 2002 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont underestimate the 4ac either i've had it to 5400 rpm in 5th gear yup the speedo needle stopped working after about the 200km position if there was one on the csx dash, it didn't want to go any faster ie revs were not goin any higher but it sat there for a good 5 or 6 minutes
haggis
Regular

May 2002
Re: 4a-c to 4a-fc in a AE82 - any issues? Wed, 11 December 2002 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've found that the sedan starts to get light on the suspension at around 165Km/h, so i havent pushed it further.
And it can get to 5000 rpm regularly as well, so long as it's maintaind right.

Craig.
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 4a-c to 4a-fc in a AE82 - any issues? Thu, 12 December 2002 13:54 Go to previous message
Yeh i've found that in my mums car Suzuki swift hatch that at the 165-170 mark, thats as fast as it would go, it felt so skaty and floaty it was crazy so i backed off also only running 155 tyres!!! but i've got pretty stiff springs and lowered 50mm back and 30mm front so it sits flat plus front swaybar and strut tower brace (fluked gettin one from just jap!!) and it felt fine, no vibrations thru the wheel, just had an alignment and balance the other week so that probably helped Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1JGTE???????????
Next Topic:Taking 4AGE out of a AE82 ...any tips??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 19:12:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051829814910889 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.