Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » BOV. is it needed??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

BOV. is it needed?? Sun, 10 April 2005 11:08 Go to next message
just wondering if a BOV is needed or if you can run without them?? currently its gonna be on a 18rg turbo but to get the car running im not gonna be using a intercooler. just straight from the turbo into the throttle body. can i get away with no BOV until i fit my intercooler gear.
  Send a private message to this user    
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: BOV. is it needed?? Sun, 10 April 2005 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep. you can get away with it.

plus you'll get the fully sick "flutter" omg so hektik cuz

[Updated on: Sun, 10 April 2005 11:10]

Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: BOV. is it needed?? Sun, 10 April 2005 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ohhh wont there be like mega shock when u close the throttle after a nice WOT squirt??
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: BOV. is it needed?? Sun, 10 April 2005 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
At low boost with no IC it will be fine. Most non-intercooled turbo cars were never fitted with a BOV from the factory, it's really not necessary.
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: BOV. is it needed?? Sun, 10 April 2005 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BOV does help performance a bit though as itll help keep the turbo spinning on gear changes.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: BOV. is it needed?? Sun, 10 April 2005 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, it does no such thing. In some circumstances a BOV will actually decrease performance because it's releasing boost pressure every time you change gears.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: BOV. is it needed?? Sun, 10 April 2005 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd like to hear your explanation of the purpose Norbie (or a link to your source material) as everything I have ever read leads me to believe they're there to prevent intake pressure spikes and hence compressor surges.

It is true though that you don't need one and I doubt there'd be a noticible difference in performance either way. But I would imagine stopping the turbo from slowing dramatically can only be a good thing for turbo life.

The ST185 was a car that was intercooled from factory with no BOV
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: BOV. is it needed?? Sun, 10 April 2005 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
davedave,
I am in agreeance with you here sorry norbie but every thing that i have read and been told is for the reasons that davedave stated.

i have not heard [QUOTE]n some circumstances a BOV will actually decrease performance[/QUOTE

Can you direct me to where you heard / read that because if this is the case i really would like to know. (not having a shot just wanna know where because thats intresting)
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: BOV. is it needed?? Mon, 11 April 2005 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Note I'm talking about low-boost non-intercooled factory setups here. If you have a big intercooler and you're running lots of boost (like me), a BOV is a good thing. That's why I have one.

I stand by my assertion that a BOV is not a performance modification though. Its purpose is to increase reliability and decrease noises in factory cars which new buyers might find disconcerting.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: BOV. is it needed?? Mon, 11 April 2005 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
an ST185 DOES have a BOV AFAIK... it's what toyota call an "ABV".

I am agreeing with Norbie.
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: BOV. is it needed?? Mon, 11 April 2005 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Mon, 11 April 2005 12:24

an ST185 DOES have a BOV AFAIK... it's what toyota call an "ABV".

I am agreeing with Norbie.

news to me. they didn't run any kind of by pass valve.
studman
Occasional Poster

On Probation

March 2005
Re: BOV. is it needed?? Mon, 11 April 2005 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u wanna get da blo off valve rated to da most horse powa so it duzn hold back tha grunt of ya car. i use a blo off valv rated to 700 hp. anythin less and u will suffa

da chicks dig da sounds to man
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: BOV. is it needed?? Mon, 11 April 2005 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When you snap close the throttle on gear changes, there is a very quick pressure buildup in the tubing (no matter how short), that then bounces back into the compressor.
This increase of back pressure on the compressor then slows the rotator speed of the turbine.

Using a BOV decreases the back pressure meaning the turbo does not spin down as quickly on gear change, meaning it spools up quicker after the gear shift.

I dunno... makes sense to me.

[Updated on: Mon, 11 April 2005 02:39]

davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: BOV. is it needed?? Mon, 11 April 2005 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've heard Group A ones do (on the W2A intercooler) but I know for a fact that the normal ones don't.

I think you'll find we all agree with Norbie. It's just that Norbies initial disagreement with the quote "BOV does help performance a bit though as itll help keep the turbo spinning on gear changes." didn't define exactly what he was disagreeing against.
I agreed that there's no real performance gain, but I disagreed that the BOV doesn't help to let the turbo continue to spin.

Edit: shit, it's the quick and the dead around here. This comment was in regards to The Witzl's post

[Updated on: Mon, 11 April 2005 02:43]

M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: BOV. is it needed?? Mon, 11 April 2005 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
davedave wrote on Mon, 11 April 2005 12:08

I agreed that there's no real performance gain, but I disagreed that the BOV doesn't help to let the turbo continue to spin.

Ok.
So you agree that the BOV does help keep the turbo spooled, but also think that it actually doesnt make that much of a difference?
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: BOV. is it needed?? Mon, 11 April 2005 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
davedave: only the st205 had a bypass valve stock from factory.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: BOV. is it needed?? Mon, 11 April 2005 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M.W.P. wrote on Mon, 11 April 2005 12:42

Ok.
So you agree that the BOV does help keep the turbo spooled, but also think that it actually doesnt make that much of a difference?

I don't think it would be noticable either way on a stock application (I could be wrong though). But dependant on the turbo/boost/intake-piping I think each application would be different.

Cheers,
Dave "fence sitter"
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: BOV. is it needed?? Mon, 11 April 2005 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A BOV is going to make SFA difference to how fast the turbo spins on gearchanges. You need to be aware it takes quite a lot of power to keep a turbo spinning at any meaningful rpm, and as soon as you lift off the throttle there is no longer any significant exhaust flow, hence no longer any power available to the turbine - so BOV or no, that sucker is going to slow down pretty much immediately.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: BOV. is it needed?? Mon, 11 April 2005 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
studman wrote on Mon, 11 April 2005 12:06

u wanna get da blo off valve rated to da most horse powa so it duzn hold back tha grunt of ya car. i use a blo off valv rated to 700 hp. anythin less and u will suffa

da chicks dig da sounds to man

I hope that this is a joke. If so, Haha Rolling Eyes Confused

If not, type properly and get a life. Rolling Eyes
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: BOV. is it needed?? Mon, 11 April 2005 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But surely a turbine that is still trying to build pressure is going to slow down much faster than one that has had its pressure relieved. And hence would stop rapid changes in the speed of the turbo.

I have a little AVI of myself plugging a vacuum in to the back of a turbo and it takes a few seconds to spin up to terminal velocity, then once removed a few seconds to spin down. I'm sure that if there were a wall of pressure behind it that it was continuing to compress, it would stop very sudden.

Again, I agree that it would have little effect on performance, but disagree with the fact that you think BOV and BOVless systems would spin at the same speed between changes.

I'm not trying to be arguementative, just trying to get a better understanding of it myself.
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: BOV. is it needed?? Mon, 11 April 2005 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if they are useless and not worth having then why do *most* factory turbo cars have them? since when do manufacturers put in useless components for the hell of it.

they are there to protect the turbo so that it will last longer and be more reliable. It will not give u extra killerwats thats not wat its about, i would not call a BOV a performance accesory, its kinda like an oil cooler, its not going to make ur car go faster but it will make it last longer.

Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: BOV. is it needed?? Mon, 11 April 2005 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hunty wrote on Mon, 11 April 2005 15:35

i would not call a BOV a performance accesory, its kinda like an oil cooler, its not going to make ur car go faster but it will make it last longer.

So what about the cars that don't come with one fitted?

Should we go out and buy one?
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: BOV. is it needed?? Mon, 11 April 2005 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
depends, are u running more boost than standard? if you are then i would say yes get a BOV.

edit: my mr2 has a BPV/BOV fitted from the factory and i was under the impression that this is the same gen 3S as what is in the st185. so the st185 does not have this valve? interesting why they would put one on a mr2 but not on a gt4

[Updated on: Mon, 11 April 2005 05:44]

-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: BOV. is it needed?? Mon, 11 April 2005 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well have a think about, whats the other reason to put on a BOV? to reduce noise. (by reduce noise i mean plumback, like all manufacturer cars)
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: BOV. is it needed?? Mon, 11 April 2005 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just to clear things up:
1st gen 3sgte (st165), 2nd gen 3sgte/jdm/aussie delivered including carlos saintz (st185) all had no type of bpv/bov fitted.
2nd gen 3sgte (mr2) and 3rd gen gt4's had them though.

Hunty wrote on Mon, 11 April 2005 15:35

if they are useless and not worth having then why do *most* factory turbo cars have them? since when do manufacturers put in useless components for the hell of it.

I agree.Car makers are always trying to make there product cheaper and cheaper, so why would they spend extra money on designing/fabricating and fitting useless parts?? they wouldn't.
setsuna
Forums Junkie

July 2004

Re: BOV. is it needed?? Mon, 11 April 2005 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I turbo is not a sealed pump..
air can flow backwards while it is still spinning...

not that I know anything in either case..

but I would really like to read some tech docs on BOV vs non BOV applications.

why is it better to run a BOV with a cooler and more boost?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: BOV. is it needed?? Mon, 11 April 2005 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
With a FMIC you have a much larger volume of pressurised air between the turbo and the throttle body, so combine this with increased boost and you end up with pretty large pressure spikes when the throttle snaps shut at full noise, much larger than any factory engine would experience.

I have a very large FMIC and when I cranked the boost up to 18psi I started popping intercooler hoses off occasionally, even with the factory BOV. I have since installed a much larger BOV and the problem has gone away; the only down side is my car sounds like a city bus now. Sad
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: BOV. is it needed?? Tue, 12 April 2005 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how about doing a search, this topic has been around a few
times and got pretty heated lol
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: BOV. is it needed?? Tue, 12 April 2005 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Note:
The ST185 Standard and Group A do not have a factory BOV.
The ST205 has a BOV which goes from the IC to the airbox which they call an air bypass valve.
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: BOV. is it needed?? Tue, 12 April 2005 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OMG how much ill informed info is out there on BOV's Smile

1st up, no ST185 ever came with a factory BOV.

Manufacturers who use BOV's do so for only one reason...to reduce noise. All factory BOV are recirculating, they are there to prevent reversion of the intake charge back thru the turbo which makes that lovely fluttering noise. Some may like it but manufacturers do not. Actually i tell a little lie there, for homologated models like the 205 the BOV was also there to feed the antilag system...sneaky buggers.

In very high boost applications this intake reversion (or more accurately the pressure wave reflected off the closing butterfly)can supposedly 'shock' the compressor wheel and cause a shaft failure. I have never seen this happen (and i have run some pretty decent boost levels) but have heard 3rd hand of it happening on a big boost circuit car. Sounds possible but it is obviously very rare. The other reason is as Norbie states that the pressure spike can pop hoses...of course Norbie could just shell out for decent clamps and it wouldn't be an issue Smile

Now, i have done with and without BOV testing and can confidently state that the preformance gain or loss is so small as to be of no consequence. I actually had a very small drop in performance as the intake piping had to refill after every BOV vent. The turbo does this very fast so you couldn't feel any difference but by the clock i dropped a 0.1-0.2 secs off 0-100 kph (Haltec data log).

As for the pressure build up slowing the compressor, bollocks. The loss of exhaust gas energy on closed throttle is many orders of magnitude greater than any energy the reflected pulse might impart to the compressor wheel. The wheel does slow on closed throttle but just because you have taken away the energy that drives it.

What most people don't understand about turbos is that they are NOT a pump, they are a turbine. All turbines do is speed up air. You create the pressure differential by that fast moving air hitting the diffuser and slowing down again...basically more fast air runs up the arse of the slowed air in front of it thereby creating a pressure increase. You can run a turbo flat out with your hand over the outlet and once you overcome the energy from the moving air boost pressure will stabilise and NOT continue to build...it'll just stop moving air. It's not like a positive displacement pump (roots blower) that will keep trying to force more air in.

Here's a classic test for the doubtful. Grab an electric fan (the turbine) block the outlet and see what happens.....you'll hear the fan actually speed up, NOT slow down.

Hope that clears up some of the misinformation.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: BOV. is it needed?? Tue, 12 April 2005 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
could you inform JUN and HKS? I'm sure they'd like to know the bov on their drag & circuit cars are useless.

alright, maybe that was a bit sarcastic.
I like the theory behind your statement, but find it hard to believe that top tuning houses are fitting useless items to their $100+k engines.
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: BOV. is it needed?? Tue, 12 April 2005 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Justen are you saying that by not running a BOV on a turbo car, you a not creating anymore wear on the turbo than if a BOV was fitted?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: BOV. is it needed?? Tue, 12 April 2005 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Tue, 12 April 2005 12:21

I like the theory behind your statement, but find it hard to believe that top tuning houses are fitting useless items to their $100+k engines.

I don't find it hard to believe at all. If customers expect their $100k turbo engine to have a BOV (and let's face it, 99% of buyers will expect just that), you can be sure they will fit one. Whether the engine will lose performance without a BOV is another matter entirely.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: BOV. is it needed?? Tue, 12 April 2005 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GZ20's are also a car that comes factory fitted with an intercooler and does not have a factory plumback Smile
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: BOV. is it needed?? Tue, 12 April 2005 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE wrote on Tue, 12 April 2005 14:13

GZ20's are also a car that comes factory fitted with an intercooler and does not have a factory plumback Smile

I was gonna say something but didn't want to be shouted down if I was wrong Laughing

bitchin maen, i'm g0nna put me a p0d filtah on mah car and get da hektik flutter when i let off the accelerator yo[/idiot mode]
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: BOV. is it needed?? Tue, 12 April 2005 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Merudo wrote on Tue, 12 April 2005 13:48

I was gonna say something but didn't want to be shouted down if I was wrong Laughing

bitchin maen, i'm g0nna put me a p0d filtah on mah car and get da hektik flutter when i let off the accelerator yo[/idiot mode]

I had a pod on mine, the flutter is rather miniscule...
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: BOV. is it needed?? Tue, 12 April 2005 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE wrote on Tue, 12 April 2005 14:20

Merudo wrote on Tue, 12 April 2005 13:48

I had a pod on mine, the flutter is rather miniscule...

ahh i was just mock pretending to be a tool... i dont really care about such things

Though it does sound cool
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: BOV. is it needed?? Tue, 12 April 2005 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRAVEN - never said they were useless but failures are very few and far between even on big boost cars when not fitted. The other thing you might consider is why "tuning houses" are racing. Their cars are driving billboards to sell their products...pretty stupid not to run your own BOV eh Wink They also run earth straps...must be mega horsepower in those Smile

MONKEY DUDE - i would say any extra wear from not running a BOV would be negligible...there may be some but hard to quantify.

For what it's worth i run a massive BOV...mainly to try and quieten down the extremely loud reversion i get thru my twin turbo setup. If there's extra wear benefits or less likihood of failure as well....great, not worth stressing about either way though.
baldrocker
Occasional Poster

December 2003
Re: BOV. is it needed?? Tue, 12 April 2005 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Never ben able to measure any PERFORMANCE difference between having a bov or not, but that phsst sound do make my penis much bigger. Evil or Very Mad
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: BOV. is it needed?? Tue, 12 April 2005 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
geez. I opened up a hot topic hear didnt I. for some more info im only planing on running the engine with no intercooler or BOV for a few weeks. then its on with the FMIC, BOV and wind it up to 20 psi and go holden hunting.
h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: BOV. is it needed?? Tue, 12 April 2005 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the mitsubishi starion didnt run a bov or i/c either ran straight into the inlet manifold....

i think ppl put bov's to make them think that there safe or to say wow check out my shiny dick thing i got here.... or too help the cops find it in ur engine bay because it sits up like something that something and yeah...

Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: BOV. is it needed?? Tue, 12 April 2005 13:14 Go to previous message
get a NA engine and u don't need to have a BOV. Anyone that has a BOV ona NA engine should be shot.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4age sx twincam seca - a/c problem
Next Topic:How much coolant can a AE93 corolla take?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 12:38:54 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010259866714478 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.