Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » Is this ant normal?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
da_horse
Regular

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Is this ant normal? Sat, 09 April 2005 11:34 Go to next message
Hey guys,

caught this ant/thing yesterday...kinda freaky, kinda cool. its a pet now as i'm feeding it and it has a novelty value. what i want to know is if this ant is normal? and if so what breed is it? in the second pic, that lil ant is one i caught outside for comparison.

oh and should i be scared that there might be more? i found it on my wall...

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl4ti6/bigAnt_01.jpg

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl4ti6/bigAnt_02.jpg

cheers Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user    
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Is this ant normal? Sat, 09 April 2005 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
omg fire ant!
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Is this ant normal? Sat, 09 April 2005 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i had one of those bite me on the arse one day at school after sat on it (on grass).

was fucken painful and the sting lasted for a few hours. i killed it good tho.
86DRFT
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Is this ant normal? Sat, 09 April 2005 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahhh it's the amazonian electric ant, well known and highly sought after by natives as it brings good luck. just stick it down your underwear and buy a lottery ticket.
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Is this ant normal? Sat, 09 April 2005 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
86DRFT wrote on Sat, 09 April 2005 19:46

ahhh it's the amazonian electric ant, well known and highly sought after by natives as it brings good luck. just stick it down your underwear and buy a lottery ticket.

BAHAHAHAH

dude, watch yourself, those things hurt like pain!

also, chuck a few ants in there and watch what happens Smile

Eldar.O.
86DRFT
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Is this ant normal? Sat, 09 April 2005 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, throw insects in there and video tape it, then post it here Smile Bug gladiators!
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Is this ant normal? Sat, 09 April 2005 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fire ants are small things - not our new overlord ants...

this has lot of info about ants: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ant

the big fella is some kinda bush ant - i've seen them at over 1" on my g/f's family farm - and the bite they leave stings like fuk and pain stays with you for ages.

see here for info about fireants.
the look like this
http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/images/2582.jpg
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: Is this ant normal? Sat, 09 April 2005 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OMG!!!!!1111

I for one welcome our new ant overlords.. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted forum personality I could round up others.. to toil in their underground ant caves.

Razz

Yeh thats a fairly big one, but I've seen bigger Wink
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Is this ant normal? Sat, 09 April 2005 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bathurst-91 wrote on Sat, 09 April 2005 23:42

OMG!!!!!1111

I for one welcome our new ant overlords.. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted forum personality I could round up others.. to toil in their underground ant caves.

Razz

Yeh thats a fairly big one, but I've seen bigger Wink

LOL! Is there a situation where the Simpsons can't be quoted? They've covered just about everything! Laughing
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: Is this ant normal? Sat, 09 April 2005 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Confused
thats like a huge ant and shit
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Is this ant normal? Sat, 09 April 2005 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
86DRFT wrote on Sat, 09 April 2005 21:46

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Is this ant normal? Sat, 09 April 2005 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cunt
86DRFT
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Is this ant normal? Sun, 10 April 2005 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bathurst-91 wrote on Sat, 09 April 2005 23:42

http://img54.exs.cx/img54/7653/simpsonsgiantant4qg.jpg
http://img54.exs.cx/img54/8227/simp9td.jpghttp://img54.exs.cx/img54/5705/simpant1ft.jpg

too funny Laughing
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Is this ant normal? Sun, 10 April 2005 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
da_horse wrote on Sat, 09 April 2005 21:34

caught this ant/thing yesterday...kinda freaky, kinda cool. its a pet now as i'm feeding it and it has a novelty value.

Feeding it? Feeding it what? Little babies? Look at the size of the pinchers on that thing... damnnn..
Choony_AE86
Forums Junkie

May 2004

Re: Is this ant normal? Sun, 10 April 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey that would be the perfect snack for my catfish..
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Is this ant normal? Sun, 10 April 2005 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We call them bullants down here. Hurt a lot when they sting. The pincers don't actually do the biting or stinging - the stinger is at the end of the abdomen and it can sting repeatedly.
Looky here. http://faunanet.gov.au/wos/factfile.cfm?Fact_ID=25 1
http://teachingtreasures.com.au/Photo%20Gallery/bullant.jpg

There are multiple different species so the one I pictured may look slightly different to the one you have.
h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Is this ant normal? Sun, 10 April 2005 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damm that shits wacked.....

dude put it back too where he belongs.... por barstard is prob like wtf how am i getting food so easily?

plus it porb die from not eating rite shit... n needs to b back in its hive n shit...

dont think u would like to be held in a chinese food container who knows where its been - not the ant....

if it was a regular ant i woudl b like meh kill the barstard but thats different put bak out in the yard n let it live....

i sounds like i should b a part of green peace... not usually like this but that thing is wacked.
EnFlaMEd
Regular

September 2003
Re: Is this ant normal? Sun, 10 April 2005 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks to me like an inch ant (what we call em here in SA) they are pretty common around here. Yeah these ants can sting repeatedly and hurt like hell, they can also bite with their pincers which is also pretty painful. Watch out for them because they get aggressive. Try tapping the ground in front of one and watch it attack the source of the noise.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Is this ant normal? Sun, 10 April 2005 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interesting how different places call them different names.

To me, a bull ant is the black one about 10-15mm in length, and I call these puppies soldier ants.

But I have a feeling soldier ants are the normal ones you see everywhere.
86DRFT
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Is this ant normal? Sun, 10 April 2005 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
h3ff44 wrote on Sun, 10 April 2005 17:51

dude put it back too where he belongs.... por barstard is prob like wtf how am i getting food so easily?

plus it porb die from not eating rite shit... n needs to b back in its hive n shit...

dont think u would like to be held in a chinese food container who knows where its been - not the ant....

if it was a regular ant i woudl b like meh kill the barstard but thats different put bak out in the yard n let it live....

i sounds like i should b a part of green peace... not usually like this but that thing is wacked.

dude, its an ant.
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Is this ant normal? Sun, 10 April 2005 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Laughing Laughing bro you must be sooo bent!! Laughing
ke30king
Forums Junkie

On Probation

March 2005
Re: Is this ant normal? Sun, 10 April 2005 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in tassie we callem inchmans also we get jack jumpers and their both pretty nastie
Rainey
Regular

January 2005
Re: Is this ant normal? Sun, 10 April 2005 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It looks like an Inchman to me, slightly brown body and a bigass overall size (they'll grow to around an inch). These guys have a painful bite and they are as tuff as nails when you stomp them, they just seem to get up and keep going unless you really grind them into the bitumen.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Is this ant normal? Sun, 10 April 2005 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Sun, 10 April 2005 19:00

Interesting how different places call them different names.

To me, a bull ant is the black one about 10-15mm in length, and I call these puppies soldier ants.

But I have a feeling soldier ants are the normal ones you see everywhere.

Looks like a worker bullant to me. The soldier bullants have HUGE pincers and their heads are massive.

rob_RA40 wrote on Sat, 09 April 2005 21:44

i had one of those bite me on the arse one day at school after sat on it (on grass).

was fucken painful and the sting lasted for a few hours. i killed it good tho.

That's quite impressive Rob. I've found the only way to kill one of those bastards is to get them on concrete and grind them. Stomping just doesn't work, they're fugging tough bastards!
da_horse
Regular

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Is this ant normal? Sun, 10 April 2005 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah cool, good to know that it isnt something abnormal. atm i've transferred it to a larger box with dirt leaves etc. i'm thinking about getting a few others and keeping a colony. anyone else ever done this?

and yeah i've seen the bugger go aggressive when i tap around its box. thanks for letting me know that the sting lies at the rear, never occurred to me Razz

i may just end up letting it go somewhere out the back if i dont do the colony thing.

Cheers
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Is this ant normal? Mon, 11 April 2005 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
da_horse wrote on Mon, 11 April 2005 00:38

ah cool, good to know that it isnt something abnormal. atm i've transferred it to a larger box with dirt leaves etc. i'm thinking about getting a few others and keeping a colony. anyone else ever done this?

You'll need to dig up the queen to get a colony happening. And if you're gonna dig up a bullant nest, you're either an extremely brave man, or a candidate for the Darwin Awards... Laughing
86DRFT
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Is this ant normal? Mon, 11 April 2005 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forget what nark says, its easy, grab a shovel, throw some thongs on and get into it. just make sure you video tape it for, erm, documentation purposes.
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Is this ant normal? Mon, 11 April 2005 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that's not big... look how close you had to get to the bloody thing to see it!!!

back on mah ranch, we got us some ants so big you gotta make sure they don't eatcha 'orse and all.. thems the scary buggers, i remember one day one of these shifty buggers ambushed mah 'orse luckily i jumped on to the fuckah, and gouged it's eyes out, [/texan accent]

but seriously, i'm pretty sure those are what we call the "Meat ant" and the sting is so painful because it's the only and with a poisonous sting. they're also the only ant that is a solitary hunter. pretty impressive stuff... i could be wrong though, but i've seen the buggers, and i left pronto incase they weren't solitary hunters and there was the rest of his possé near by
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Is this ant normal? Mon, 11 April 2005 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Definitely a worker. The soldiers have enormous heads and pincers. The queen might come out at night and has an enormous abdomen.

A handful of people die from jumping jack bites each year due a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis). There is a guy in Royal Hobart Hospital ED who has developed a "vaccine" to the toxin - I think it is at the human trial phase.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Is this ant normal? Mon, 11 April 2005 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Sun, 10 April 2005 21:55

That's quite impressive Rob. I've found the only way to kill one of those bastards is to get them on concrete and grind them. Stomping just doesn't work, they're fugging tough bastards!

my fat arse didnt kill it, what i meant was that after i got bitten i killed it good, ie by stepping on it a number of times.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Is this ant normal? Mon, 11 April 2005 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
speaking of weird medical terms (anaphylaxis for example) here's somehting for the med boys.

Friend of mine, after a few weeks in hospital with the doctors saying they didn't know what was wrong with her, had the doctors come in looking all proud and announce she had "encephalopathy with unknown aetiology". She didn't have the heart to tell them she knew exactly what that meant Smile
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Is this ant normal? Mon, 11 April 2005 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
isnt it some form of acid thay inject? my brother was bush walking one day did some 20km hike or something when he was into photography, got tired and sat doen on this nice little enbankment and got bit on the ass by one, he proceded to jump around while his mate quickly ran over and started wacking him on the back screaming "there all over you mick!!"
Very Happy Laughing
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Is this ant normal? Mon, 11 April 2005 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan they inject a range of things. Ants do contain acid (formic acid - Latin for ant is "formica") but mostly the pain/stinging, itch and redness is from histamine being released locally by their venom.

A full blown anaphylactic reaction is due to the body having an overwhelming reaction to something in the venom.

Draven, was she actually encephalopathic? If she wasn't (and they didn't get the psychs to check her out), then that's pretty cheeky.

[Updated on: Mon, 11 April 2005 02:10]

riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Is this ant normal? Mon, 11 April 2005 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Has anyone ever seen that documentary on the killer ants in Africa? These buggers will devour a human in one night,I think they initially enter through your mouth and start eating your lungs and work their way out from there,they only eat meat and constantly take down cattle etc Shocked
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Is this ant normal? Mon, 11 April 2005 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, she was - they just didn't know why, how, or what progress the disease was going to make.
what amused me is they suddenly went from "there's something wrong with your brain" to adding a nice official title to it to make her feel better Smile
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Is this ant normal? Mon, 11 April 2005 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Siafu or driver ants.

Draven, ah, OK. That's different....can be tricky to work out the cause sometimes - personally, I'd have left it at encephalopathy. Laughing

[Updated on: Mon, 11 April 2005 02:37]

Nolan
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Is this ant normal? Mon, 11 April 2005 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GOAT-ANT

Nolan
86DRFT
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Is this ant normal? Mon, 11 April 2005 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nolan wrote on Mon, 11 April 2005 16:31

GOAT-ANT

Nolan

No No No Freak
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Is this ant normal? Mon, 11 April 2005 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

GOAT-ANT

Nolan

Nolan you dont understand how much that goat picture rekks me Laughing

Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: Is this ant normal? Tue, 12 April 2005 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Used to see a lot of those ants when I grew up in Adelaide. We called them Inch Ants (for obvious reasons). We used to call the 1cm long versions Meat Ants.
They grab you with their pincers and swivel around to repeatedly sting you in a circlular pattern. Used to have a fun time as a kid throwing rocks and stuff at the nests, and their nests actually go pretty deep into the ground.
If you throw enough rocks its like a black carpet of angry ants on the ground all running around looking for the source of the damage.
h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Is this ant normal? Tue, 12 April 2005 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
riceburna73 wrote on Sun, 10 April 2005 20:28

Laughing Laughing bro you must be sooo bent!! Laughing

i know i am dont need to tell me.. and i know it an ant..... i actually saw something of about that size today n there was alot of them so... not to worry about it n kill the lil barstard... nah joke.....

get his stingers taken off n keep it as a pet n take it for wakls around the block.... more fun than a cat!

changes - cant spell Sad

[Updated on: Tue, 12 April 2005 06:58]

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Is this ant normal? Tue, 12 April 2005 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ribfeast wrote on Tue, 12 April 2005 16:11

Used to see a lot of those ants when I grew up in Adelaide. We called them Inch Ants (for obvious reasons). We used to call the 1cm long versions Meat Ants.
They grab you with their pincers and swivel around to repeatedly sting you in a circlular pattern. Used to have a fun time as a kid throwing rocks and stuff at the nests, and their nests actually go pretty deep into the ground.
If you throw enough rocks its like a black carpet of angry ants on the ground all running around looking for the source of the damage.

I love running (and stomping) across the top of their nests. The vibrations make them all come out... It's freaky.

Ever seen a guy who's just realised that he's been standing on a bullant nest?! Farken funny shit (as long as it's not you).

When I was a kid, we used to catch bullants and pull their antenae off and make them fight each other... It was great fun, until you got stung...
Nolan
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Is this ant normal? Wed, 13 April 2005 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
riceburna73 wrote on Mon, 11 April 2005 19:05

GOAT-ANT

Nolan

Nolan you dont understand how much that goat picture rekks me Laughing

bahahah just keeping my fans happy

NOLAN
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Is this ant normal? Wed, 13 April 2005 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I killed a cockroach on my kitchen floor last night all its guts were hanging out and still the bloody thing was alive, i didn't pick it up until i had eaten my dinner. Anyway by the time i got back the thing had crawled half a metre, i think the reason was cos i missed his head and even though all his guts were hanging off him he could still move.
81LOWLUX
Regular

March 2005
Re: Is this ant normal? Wed, 13 April 2005 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can chop a head off a cockroach and they will live untill they starve to death Shocked try it one day Laughing
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Is this ant normal? Wed, 13 April 2005 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Mon, 11 April 2005 09:33

Nark wrote on Sun, 10 April 2005 21:55

my fat arse didnt kill it, what i meant was that after i got bitten i killed it good, ie by stepping on it a number of times.

Why did you step on it to kill it?

You should have just p00ed on it!
81LOWLUX
Regular

March 2005
Re: Is this ant normal? Wed, 13 April 2005 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i once found a weird creature it looke like a cockroach body with thr head of a preying mantis, it was transparrent white, thought it was a mutant so i stomped on it Laughing
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Is this ant normal? Wed, 13 April 2005 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
we had an albino cockroach once to pure white, so we killed it funny that.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Is this ant normal? Wed, 13 April 2005 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fucking cockroaches think they are good surviving nuclear fall out lets see them survive my boot muhuhahahahaha. They piss me off something shocking, we need our house sprayed cos we have pulled all the sleepers out from our backyard and replaced them with bricks and since then they moved into the house,we got it sprayed got rid of them but think they are coming from our neighbours place now. they have piles of wood down the side of their house which they are probably lving in.
Really shits me when i get one in my room cos they wake you up in the middle of the night as they scurry across the desk, flik on the light grab the nearest shoe and belt the fuck out of the little pest.
nightdevil
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2003

Re: Is this ant normal? Wed, 13 April 2005 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DAMN

these ants can get hungry!!

http://www.photodump.com/direct/levinkid86/4892.jpg
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Is this ant normal? Wed, 13 April 2005 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm dreadding the next couple of weeks our gum tree is out in flower and every time it is, one we get inundated with bats, they do huge shits all over our cars two even worse, these filthy fuckin bugs about 1 to 2 cm long that have black wings and and orange body, i mean when they come we end up with a million camping out in our yard, these things fuck like no tomorrow they have orgies in balls of insects and pretty much our whole lawn will be black and crawling not one green spike showing, the gutters are alive withthem same with the tyres on your car any twig on the ground and our retaining wall as well. These things do nothing but eat and fuck thats all until there is so many of them they run out of food. We have pics somewhere of our lawn just teaming with them. If i find em i'll post em up.
They are so easy to kill don't bite or anythingbut you can't go outside whilst they are there cos if you stand still to long they will surround you and use you as a support for their mass orgy.
86DRFT
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Is this ant normal? Wed, 13 April 2005 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Wed, 13 April 2005 14:21

we had an albino cockroach once to pure white, so we killed it funny that.

um, theyre white straight after they shed, till their shell hardens. i used to breed them for bearded dragons. Smile
ke30twodoor
Regular

February 2005
Re: Is this ant normal? Fri, 15 April 2005 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cum on guys it doenst matter if it was a sheep ant a goat ant a fire ant

eitherway if you feed it and it lives or it dies who really cares it is an ant

even if you think its the only one around its not there are thousands of billions of them every where

they sting hurt and are bloody gross

just kill it or eat it or give it to the kid next door to be bitten or free it back in to your garden..

the simple answer to you question if the ant is normal then go back to where you got it if you see more of them then yes they would be a normal ant!!

kristy

[Updated on: Fri, 15 April 2005 10:28]

BlackMR2
Regular

December 2004
Re: Is this ant normal? Sun, 17 April 2005 14:29 Go to previous message
^^^ hahaha those orange and black bugs are insane! a family friends place used to have heaps of em when i was younger. when you squished them their guts were bright blue and sh*t! and yeh they always f*ck and interlock into pairs
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:eds holiday
Next Topic:tas old school car club
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 16:49:20 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0083301067352295 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.