Toymods » Tech & Conversions » bubbling and overheating problem on 1JZ!!! :(

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
bubbling and overheating problem on 1JZ!!! :( Wed, 13 April 2005 10:13 Go to next message
Howdy, had my 1JZ mX73 on the road for a couple months now but have had an ongoing problem with the coolant bubbling.
Before we started driving it there was no water flowing through the radiator at all, so that was replaced, car also has a new radiator and cap. When I have to stop at the lights for long periods or drive under heavy load,the temp won't go up at all, it just sits on half way, but by the time I get home,theres water spittin out all over the palce from the over-flow tank, and the water bubbles a fair bit.
Worst case,once my radiator cap was blown off completely, not too sure whether it was on loose of not but it hasnt happended again. And when I was waiting a in a drive-thru for ages, the temp started going up and ended up overheating all the way before I got home. When I got home there was steam coming from the over-flow and coolant pissing out everywhere again Sad

What does everyone think? I really hope its not a blown head gasket or cracked head Sad Only been driving it for a couple months and only under normal city driving load. I'll be supper p@ssed!! if its a blown head gasket becasue that would mean I was sold a dud engine :@

If it is the head, how much would I be looking at to get it repaired?
  Send a private message to this user    
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: bubbling and overheating problem on 1JZ!!! :( Wed, 13 April 2005 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bleed the cooling sys
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: bubbling and overheating problem on 1JZ!!! :( Wed, 13 April 2005 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forgot to add that there doesnt appear to be any oil in the water when it gushes out, but that still doesn't rule out blown head gasket or cracked head Sad

Oh, and the car is an MX73 1985 Cressida with 1JZ twin turbo. I hasn't been drivin hard once as we've just been testing it on the road to irno out lil problems here and there.
Bert
Regular

May 2003
Re: bubbling and overheating problem on 1JZ!!! :( Wed, 13 April 2005 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bleed the cooling system first. but from what you are describing, it sounds like there is combustion/compression gasses getting into the cooling system. if this is right then your fears are correct. head/ head gasket.

bleed the system, and then ensure the correct coolant level. drive the car and see if the fault reoccurs.
note: you may need to make a bleed bottle. make one out of a coke bottle or something, this will ensure that the water level in the bottle is the highest point. (air will go to the highest point, the bottle) this will ensure the air is fully out of the system.

if still not fixed then you can take it to an auto shop and they can put a special chemical in the coolant to see if any gas is in there.

thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: bubbling and overheating problem on 1JZ!!! :( Wed, 13 April 2005 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds more like pressurisation of cooling system from exh gas (the blowing off of cap) - but did you check and/or replace the thermostat?
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: bubbling and overheating problem on 1JZ!!! :( Wed, 13 April 2005 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep the thermostat has been replaced as the old one kept closing shut and wouldn't let any water at all through to the radiator
It wasnt a 1JZ thermostat as such, but i took the old one into my local Repco and they sized it up and ordered one in that had similar specs

[Updated on: Wed, 13 April 2005 10:50]

people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: bubbling and overheating problem on 1JZ!!! :( Wed, 13 April 2005 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes start with jammed thermostat. so replace that. then get your raditor serviced just to make sure its not blocked up etc. if those things fail to be the problem then get a co2 test. most mechanics or radiator shops can do this. its never 100% accurate but will give u a better idea.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: bubbling and overheating problem on 1JZ!!! :( Wed, 13 April 2005 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get the radiator cleaned if you haven't.

Mine was only 10% blocked but it was enough to make the car overheat.
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: bubbling and overheating problem on 1JZ!!! :( Wed, 13 April 2005 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just hope its not the head, I thought the 1JZs were built practically bullerproof lol. Just cant see how it could be a cracked head at worst
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: bubbling and overheating problem on 1JZ!!! :( Wed, 13 April 2005 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers for the suggestions, I'll bleed the cooling system and get the radiator cleaned, even thought its a new one it wouldn't hurt to make sure

[Updated on: Wed, 13 April 2005 10:54]

woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: bubbling and overheating problem on 1JZ!!! :( Wed, 13 April 2005 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much do head gaskets and heads cost? If they need to be replaced we will be doing the work ourselves
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: bubbling and overheating problem on 1JZ!!! :( Wed, 13 April 2005 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IIRC head gasket was about $140 and the head bolts were $28 each. I didn't go that way as I decided to get a new engine because of the knock I had. That was from Penrith Toyota.

I also had the same thing happen once but I was driving hard. The temp guage said it was normal temp and then got home and there was coolant spitting all over the place! I don't trust those things anymore. I now have the hand controller for the wolf that tells me exactly what temp.

BTW are you using the cressida radiator?

I was going to get my jzx90 chaser radiator flushed out but I was told that the end tanks would crack and I would need new ones. Then said that he can't get new ones Rolling Eyes Also said that cressida and chaser were different. Anyone know the truth?
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: bubbling and overheating problem on 1JZ!!! :( Wed, 13 April 2005 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OMG 1jz BHG!!!! so far two people!! modern day 7m mooohahahah (sorry mate sucks ya engine is toast Sad
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: bubbling and overheating problem on 1JZ!!! :( Wed, 13 April 2005 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ummm yeh...cheers for the kind words......haha
Its not as bad as I thought really , even though it is something that shouldnt need doing, compared to the rest of the costs dealt out to get this project finished!!! its not that costly really Razz
If I just replace the head gasket the engine should still e ok shouldnt it?
Serious? is that how many in total have gone, guess im lucky then Sad What causes head gaskets to go? I can't understand why it would be stuffed
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: bubbling and overheating problem on 1JZ!!! :( Wed, 13 April 2005 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not using the stock one because the core was stuffed. In the end I got a new one made by Koyo, was cheaper than just replacing the core :S
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: bubbling and overheating problem on 1JZ!!! :( Wed, 13 April 2005 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't trust the standard temp guage, my brothers fan relay burnt out one day in traffic so the fans never came on & the temp guage didn't budge, we just noticed steam & smelt coolant & pulled over. Coolant was bubbling & spitting out of the o'flow bottle just due to overheating.
We've since installed a cheapish mechanical temp guage & removed the standard temp sensor, & even though the temp guage isn't even hooked up to anything, once you start her up it still moves up to the standard operating range & stays there, no matter how hot or cold the motor gets. It only drops down once the ign. is switched off.
What sort of fan setup do you have?

BTW, my brothers is a 1jz in a MX73 too.
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: bubbling and overheating problem on 1JZ!!! :( Wed, 13 April 2005 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how thoroughly have u checked the radiator blockage ...

i know u have a 1jZ and i have a 22RE but from what u have said there was a thread about a month ago that me and another guy were involved in ... and you sound like u have similar symptoms

my RA's radiator was 80% blocked and half of the center section was rotten .

check ya radiator before u go all out with BHG thoughts.

[Updated on: Wed, 13 April 2005 17:08]

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: bubbling and overheating problem on 1JZ!!! :( Wed, 13 April 2005 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BigWorm wrote on Thu, 14 April 2005 00:35

Don't trust the standard temp guage, my brothers fan relay burnt out one day in traffic so the fans never came on & the temp guage didn't budge, we just noticed steam & smelt coolant & pulled over. Coolant was bubbling & spitting out of the o'flow bottle just due to overheating.
We've since installed a cheapish mechanical temp guage & removed the standard temp sensor, & even though the temp guage isn't even hooked up to anything, once you start her up it still moves up to the standard operating range & stays there, no matter how hot or cold the motor gets. It only drops down once the ign. is switched off.
What sort of fan setup do you have?

BTW, my brothers is a 1jz in a MX73 too.

Makes me wonder why they even bother having a temp guage!
Stenno
Regular

March 2003

Re: bubbling and overheating problem on 1JZ!!! :( Wed, 13 April 2005 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woofa347 wrote on Wed, 13 April 2005 20:52

I just hope its not the head, I thought the 1JZs were built practically bullerproof lol. Just cant see how it could be a cracked head at worst

As has been pointed out, check the obvious, thermostat, waterpump, radiator, verifying that the cooling system is bleed correctly.

No water cooled motor is bullet proof if it is run without water.

People seem to forget that alot these import motors come from cars which have had front end bingles where I'm sure in some cases have had damaged radiators and the motor has been allowed to run with the loss of coolant.

That's luck of the draw when buying an import motor, no matter what series of engine, however this exlcudes all 7M's as they had blown headgaskets before they were even assembled at the factory Laughing

[Updated on: Thu, 14 April 2005 01:47]

woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: bubbling and overheating problem on 1JZ!!! :( Wed, 13 April 2005 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll defantely be getting a seperate temp gauge now!! haha
At the moment just one 16" thermo, hooked upto go on when the engine got hot, but it never come on at all...so now just going to wire it up to be on all the time
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: bubbling and overheating problem on 1JZ!!! :( Wed, 13 April 2005 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Havnt checked for any blockages or anything yet actually. I'll get stuck into it tonight after work. Would a blocked radiator really be causing the water to bubble and everything so much?
IF it was a blown head gasket, the water would be bubbling when I get home regardless if it was a trip over to Woolies or a road trip is that right?
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: bubbling and overheating problem on 1JZ!!! :( Wed, 13 April 2005 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

At the moment just one 16" thermo, hooked upto go on when the engine got hot, but it never come on at all...

Ahhhh there is your problem bud, this explains why when you drive it's fine but when idling its not. You still need air going through the radiator when still Rolling Eyes
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: bubbling and overheating problem on 1JZ!!! :( Wed, 13 April 2005 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BTW pressure caps will blow off if they are dodgy, or inncorrect fit if the water boils enough.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: bubbling and overheating problem on 1JZ!!! :( Thu, 14 April 2005 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you done a compression test? If there is a low cylinder it might indicate BHG...(a leakdown test would be even more helpful Smile)

Cheers
Wilbo
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: bubbling and overheating problem on 1JZ!!! :( Thu, 14 April 2005 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No need to make anymore suggestions he hasnt had a fan to pull air through the radiator, thatyl hurt you.

f0rc3d c0nv3t10n iz your fri3nd!!!!! Razz
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: bubbling and overheating problem on 1JZ!!! :( Thu, 14 April 2005 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you serious?? thats all it could be???
If you speak the truth, you've just made my day Very Happy
I'll hook the fan up tonight so that it comes on all the time, and I'll give it a try. That would explain why if I go for a long drive, aslong as I don't stop foor a while, I can get home and the over-flow doesnt even bubble...

Shall see how it goes

BTW, what radiator caps do you suggest? I admit I fell for the "TRD High pressure cap" lol, It didnt even fit on my radiator but what a load of crap hey! I've just got a cheap one that I bought from my loacal Sprints
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: bubbling and overheating problem on 1JZ!!! :( Thu, 14 April 2005 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woofa347 wrote on Thu, 14 April 2005 16:06

I admit I fell for the "TRD High pressure cap" lol, It didnt even fit on my radiator but what a load of crap hey! I've just got a cheap one that I bought from my loacal Sprints

A radiator cap must fit 100% perfect.

Also don't use those TRD ones as they are rated for a higher pressure, which your radiator cant probably not withstand.
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: bubbling and overheating problem on 1JZ!!! :( Thu, 14 April 2005 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The one I've got on there now fits fairly tightly , dont know how it got off in the first place, I probably didn't put it on right.

So if the problem is just that the radiators not getting any airflow, wouldn't there still need to be pressure from somewhere to spit all the water out? Or is that an effect of the radiator not having any airflow?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: bubbling and overheating problem on 1JZ!!! :( Thu, 14 April 2005 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
#1 Water heats up, expands, blows incorrectly fitted radiator cap, covers engine bay in coolant.

#2 Coolant cools down, sucks in air.

#3 Water heats up again, quicker this time, blows steam and coolant everywhere.

Repeat #2, #3 until something gives up.
joash
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: bubbling and overheating problem on 1JZ!!! :( Thu, 14 April 2005 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woofa347 wrote on Thu, 14 April 2005 18:06

Are you serious?? thats all it could be???
If you speak the truth, you've just made my day Very Happy
I'll hook the fan up tonight so that it comes on all the time, and I'll give it a try. That would explain why if I go for a long drive, aslong as I don't stop foor a while, I can get home and the over-flow doesnt even bubble...

yes.. the whole idea of a radiator is for the (relatively) cool air to absorb the heat in the water, which is absorbed from the enigne....
if no air goes through.... no heat gets aborbed (from the water anyhow)
if no heat gets absorbed....... coolants boils
if coolant boils.... it spirts out everywhere
if car moving..... air goes through radiator
if fan spinning.... air goes through radiator
if fan not moving and car not moving....... WARM!!
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: bubbling and overheating problem on 1JZ!!! :( Thu, 14 April 2005 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok ok! lol believe it or not, Im not that dumb...... Rolling Eyes
Just didnt realise it could have that much effect, well just thought the temp gauge would go up before it got bad enough to spit coolant everywhere
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: bubbling and overheating problem on 1JZ!!! :( Thu, 14 April 2005 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The stock temp guage sits in the same spot from about 80degC to about 96 degC

Once you go abve 96 it rockets up.

By about 100degC its at the top
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: bubbling and overheating problem on 1JZ!!! :( Thu, 14 April 2005 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll have to get a seperate gauge, stock ones are heaps dodgey by the sounds of it!!
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: bubbling and overheating problem on 1JZ!!! :( Thu, 14 April 2005 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers for all the help, I'll wire this fan up to be on fulltime then see what happens.
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: bubbling and overheating problem on 1JZ!!! :( Thu, 14 April 2005 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my ta22 guage shows what temp your acually running... it sits at a little bit below 80, showing about 70 or so....

never, ever, ever got higher than that, then again, ive only ever had it on two times Razz after i warmed it up i managed to hit 6k rpm on dodgy timing Razz

hope you sort if out man, car troubles suck teh big 0ne!

Eldar.O.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: bubbling and overheating problem on 1JZ!!! :( Fri, 15 April 2005 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didn't you wonder why every car has a fan on the radiator? Its not there for show Laughing
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: bubbling and overheating problem on 1JZ!!! :( Sat, 16 April 2005 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know what its there for but I had no idea that it wasn't coming on at all.
Originaly we had it setup to come on at a certain temp,but obviously that wasn't working Sad
Its all good now, thanks everyone for there help. Went for a long drive last night with the fan wired to come on all the time,made sure to include lots of stopping and when I got home water wasn't spitting anywhere, just bubbled a tiny bit but that would just be because it has water in there without any coolant, because I wasn't going to put the good Toyota red in just if it wasn't going to be spat out again haha

Cheers again
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: bubbling and overheating problem on 1JZ!!! :( Sat, 16 April 2005 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
allan: stick that in your pipe and smoke it Razz
7m is still t3h cr4p
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: bubbling and overheating problem on 1JZ!!! :( Sat, 16 April 2005 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woofa347 wrote on Sat, 16 April 2005 10:42

Went for a long drive last night with the fan wired to come on all the time

Make sure this is only very temporary.

Getting working right, coming on when its hot, turning on when it comes back to normal temperature.

My thermo's are on for less than 1% of a drive, 90% of the time they don't ever come on.

The longer its on for, the less time it will last.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: bubbling and overheating problem on 1JZ!!! :( Sat, 16 April 2005 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what temp to do set yours to come on and go off at?

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: bubbling and overheating problem on 1JZ!!! :( Sat, 16 April 2005 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On at 95, off at 85.

Since the thermostat is 82degC I think, there is no real point in turning it off much lower than 85.

Take about 2-2.5mins of idling at traffic lights on a warm day to get up to 95degC.

At night time its closer to 5mins.
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: bubbling and overheating problem on 1JZ!!! :( Sat, 16 April 2005 05:29 Go to previous message
bet you its a blocked radiator
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ra23 with 1uzfe
Next Topic:AE86 Rollcage specifications
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 14:31:27 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0091919898986816 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.