Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Are these wheels Dodgy?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Are these wheels Dodgy? Wed, 13 April 2005 10:21 Go to next message
These wheels look dodgy to me, but i saw a post where the guy posted saying they are safe Confused .

http://server3.uploadit.org/files/monty87-IMGA0191.JPG

[Updated on: Thu, 14 April 2005 13:35]

Send a private message to this user    
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: Are these wheels Dodgy? Wed, 13 April 2005 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can get wheels like that from factory

imho opinion theyre safe
unless theyve been redrilling after purchase
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Are these wheels Dodgy? Wed, 13 April 2005 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats strange.
But thats a sexy wheel.
Do you have a pic of it with the centre piece in?
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Are these wheels Dodgy? Wed, 13 April 2005 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
redrills like that make baby jesus cry
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Are these wheels Dodgy? Wed, 13 April 2005 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Evan wrote on Wed, 13 April 2005 20:40

Thats strange.
But thats a sexy wheel.
Do you have a pic of it with the centre piece in?

http://server3.uploadit.org/files/monty87-IMGA0190.JPG Cool

You can see the mark where they drilled i think Confused , or im seing things anyway, the car would bounce if you didnt get the hole perfect, to the hundredth of a milimetre Rolling Eyes .

[Updated on: Wed, 13 April 2005 13:00]

jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: Are these wheels Dodgy? Wed, 13 April 2005 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm they dont look too good. I'd hate to find out what could happen if it wasnt safe! personally, i wouldnt buy them, tho admiteddly i agree with Evan in saying they are damn sexy wheels
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Are these wheels Dodgy? Wed, 13 April 2005 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a set of wheels i got from puffy and they were professionally re drilled to fit 5x100 and they look similar to this. Mine seem to be fine and ae95 said u can get some wheels from the factory with multiple holes drilled.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Are these wheels Dodgy? Thu, 14 April 2005 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my feeling would be that some of the holes that have been drilled too close together, i personally think a they look like shit because of it and would not be as strong. Some of those holes barely have metal between them, now could that withsatnd a pothole or bumps at say 60kmph let alone 100kmph.
If i was to see a set of rims like this i'd run not walk away.
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: Are these wheels Dodgy? Thu, 14 April 2005 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Thu, 14 April 2005 12:40

my feeling would be that some of the holes that have been drilled too close together

That is the standard way of doing multi fit 4/5 stud wheels. One hole is common, the others are spaced appropriately to suit 4 or 5 studs. Go into a tyre shop and compare to the ones they have on display, as long as yours appear factory and not redrilled (they look factory to me) then there will be no issues with them. I would however ensure you have the appropriate centering ring fitted to them for your car.

Callum
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Are these wheels Dodgy? Thu, 14 April 2005 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I searched long and hard for wheels to suit My Celica widt teh one-off wheel fitment, and I NEVER saw factory wheels drilled in 4/5 stud. Plenty of 8-hole and 10-hole centres, to suit two different Centre.Pitch.Diameters - but always to suit 2 different 5-stud patterns, or 2 different 4-stud patterns.

Looks dodgey as hell to Me bro - I'd steer well clear: at least 15 miles wide of this one.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Are these wheels Dodgy? Thu, 14 April 2005 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive seen some from factrory like that but im never a big fan. mate of mine has a set of veilside rims facotory drilled like that. but again not real keen on the idea.
Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Are these wheels Dodgy? Thu, 14 April 2005 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you really only need at least 2 studs holding on your wheel to be "safe".
I would be quite happy to put wheels like that on my car as long as they aren't redrilled. I have seen plenty of multi stud wheels like that and they have all been fine.
Once the studs are tightened there is a lot of force against the brake hat (or mounting surface) And quite a bit of driving power is transmitted through this. Not the studs. Id actually be quite worried if it was only the studs that transfered the force. (sheer force is bad mmmkay)
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: Are these wheels Dodgy? Thu, 14 April 2005 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I reckon they would be fine, 3 out of 5 of the holes aren't joining other holes which id say would be enough. Plus the other holes would be ok.
On my old falcon one of my studs snapped off and i never did anything about it so it was only being held on by 4 instead of 5... no biggie really.
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: Are these wheels Dodgy? Thu, 14 April 2005 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mnn stress concentration.

Not a big fan of what's been done there. Would deffinetaly be weaker then any single stud pattern wheel.

As for 2 bolts to hold on a wheel, I would say at least 4 for comfortable load bearing in all cases.
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: Are these wheels Dodgy? Thu, 14 April 2005 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Man that looks dodge, i wouldnt buy em..
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Are these wheels Dodgy? Thu, 14 April 2005 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arch wrote on Thu, 14 April 2005 23:32

Man that looks dodge, i wouldnt buy em..

Dont worry i would never touch them, i just saw someone selling them and thought they look dodgy Rolling Eyes.
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: Are these wheels Dodgy? Thu, 14 April 2005 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they aint dodgy u paranoid turds Twisted Evil
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Are these wheels Dodgy? Sun, 17 April 2005 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
um isnt that illegal for road use to redrill a different
pcd, that is after welding up the old holes which hasnt
even been done Rolling Eyes dodga-rific work there. and the
balance of the wheel, prob has 10 weights on it. the
holes also have to be soooooo accurate
as someone has already said. i dunno... fine for a 50km/hr paddock basher i suppose

[Updated on: Sun, 17 April 2005 03:33]

MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Are these wheels Dodgy? Sun, 17 April 2005 07:26 Go to previous message
will people listen to AE95 here...

THEY ARE NOT DODGEY...

these are a factory 4/5 stud drill, beleive it or not but companies like VOLK do the same thing, simon-ae86 drifted on a pair of wheels which had the 4/5 studd drill they were on the front of his car for 3 competitions and many hills runs and there was never an issue.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Crown Express - parts from Melb - Syd - Melb
Next Topic:Is it rice or being unique ? ? ?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 01:42:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0063140392303467 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.