Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Home brewing Tue, 18 January 2005 10:56 Go to next message
Anyone here brew their own beer or spirits? A mates brother in law has been having some success brewing his own rum so I'm thinking about having a go myself.
So does anyone here do it?
  Send a private message to this user    
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Home brewing Tue, 18 January 2005 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Yeah, I do a bit of home brewing beer.

The quickest and cheapest way to start up is to buy one of those generic (ie Coopers, etc) brewing kits. Then, you chuck out the can of extract 'cos it's usually shit and go and get a good one.

Try "Black Rock" they have a good range of different extracts and beer types. I've found the ales to be their best - where their "Colonial Ale" is a very nice drop.

Also, you can get different sugar/malt packs with varying amounts of each ingrediant and you start experimenting from there until you find a taste that you like.

There's quite a few homebrew beer sites on the net, in Australia, that you can check out which will give you a better idea.

I find it easier to buy a few dozen clean bottles to start with and recycle them. However, watch out for tight-arse mates who don't return the bottles.

Little bottles are okay, but you need to use ones that don't have a screw-cap 'cos the seals don't stick to them very well and as the brew ferments in the bottle the pressure can blow off the cap.

I prefer to use the 750ml bottles. I seem to have little trouble slamming down a long neck and it's easier to fill and cap a couple of dozen long necks than 50 little bottles.

Also, invest in a good lever-action capping machine. The kits usually supply a shitty litte one that requires you to seal the bottle with a well directed hammer blow to secure the cap. Sometimes, if you're not careful, you can break a bottle.

My brews average from 4% to 8% alcohol and taste pretty good. I've got a batch that's been down for 2yrs and I'm going to try one soon to see if it tastes better or has turned to shit.

seeyuzz
river

EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: Home brewing Tue, 18 January 2005 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
got me a kit the other day, when i find time i'll get into it Rolling Eyes
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Home brewing Tue, 18 January 2005 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd stick to doing beer and avoid the distilled stuff unless you want to really get serious with it. The common distillers you get are mainly for other purposes, and don't go high enough in temperature to remove the ketones which aren't too great for your health.
causinmayhem
Occasional Poster

October 2003
Re: Home brewing Tue, 18 January 2005 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe... good call river - the stuff that ships with coopers kits is nothing short of shithouse - i reckon they just started chucking em in with the kits cos they couldn't sell them!

in SA at least we have a place up in hahndorf called grumpys (http://www.grumpys.com.au) and i've never had a bad beer from their extracts and "masterbrews"
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Home brewing Tue, 18 January 2005 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stilling and brewing are totally different things. I don't want to get into stilling as yet but maybe in the future.
river, what have you found with temperature? Some people say that the temp needs to be around 25 while other people say that the temp doesn't matter as long as its stable during the period of the fermentation.
Whats your findings?
davedrifts
Regular

Banned User

September 2004
Re: Home brewing Tue, 18 January 2005 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont know anything about brewing so im not going pretend i do. I will just sit in the corner and entertain myself with various matel products.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Home brewing Tue, 18 January 2005 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I have found that between 22 and 26 degrees is fine for brewing. It can vary between those temps without any probs. Too low temp and it takes too long to ferment and the beer is sorta flat, too high and the brew ferments too quick and seems to lack taste.

I find it easier to brew in the cooler winter months and I use a temp controlled plate, that is sold at brewing shops, that will maintain 22 degrees. Also, this gives you time to get a batch or two done and have it fermented in the bottles for 6-8weeks and they're ready to drink when the hot summer comes along.

I brew my stuff in my downstairs workshop, which is partially under the house. It's best to keep it dark - that is, no direct sunlight on the vat while its fermenting. Also, down there the temp is more stable.

seeyuzz
river
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Home brewing Tue, 18 January 2005 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks. I was thinking about putting my setup in am old fridge and then controlling the temp with a peltier cell. I know this is a little over the top, but if I can make my favorite drink and at the same time playing with electronics, well why the hell not Very Happy
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Home brewing Tue, 18 January 2005 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Sounds like a goer! I'd like to see it over engineered with multiple CPU's, 1M of RAM and at least a 20G HDD... oh and make sure it's connected to the net so you can check out the system wherever you are! Smile

My next batch I'm experimenting with a few bottles and I'm gonna put a chilli in them to see if I can get chilli-beer. The chilli will want to make you drink more. It's a never-ending circle of drinking!

Also, if you like icy cold vodka (like I do), then whack a chilli into your fave voddy and slam it in the freezer. It's great and as the voddy gets drunk it gets hotter and hotter.

seeyuzz
river
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Home brewing Tue, 18 January 2005 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing Nice work.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Home brewing Wed, 19 January 2005 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this was mentioned recently on slashdot:
http://www.lemis.com/grog/brewing/temperature-cont rol.html
using an old 486, some temp sensors and relay controls and freeBSD to control the brew Wink
Nolan
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Home brewing Wed, 19 January 2005 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
davedrifts wrote on Tue, 18 January 2005 23:50

I dont know anything about brewing so im not going pretend i do. I will just sit in the corner and entertain myself with various matel products.

i would also like to join davedrifts in the corner of people who no nothing about brewing...i also enjoy matel products.
davedrifts
Regular

Banned User

September 2004
Re: Home brewing Wed, 19 January 2005 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nod
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Home brewing Wed, 26 January 2005 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The best beer i ever had was at a Germen resturant in Thailand, i think the brand of beer was HOPF, and was sold by the 2L jug (that was one person's serving). Second to that was my uncles home brew. He has it on tap which is stored in his fridge in the shed. Just reading all this makes me want to get started in my own alcohol production.
Flem
Regular

May 2002
Re: Home brewing Mon, 31 January 2005 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
making spirits is highly illegal(if u get caught itll cost you big $$$), were allowed to have a 5L still but not a 20L still.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Home brewing Mon, 31 January 2005 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Flem wrote on Mon, 31 January 2005 18:05

making spirits is highly illegal(if u get caught itll cost you big $$$), were allowed to have a 5L still but not a 20L still.

As I said above, brewing and stilling are two different things. There is nothing wrong with brewing.
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Home brewing Mon, 31 January 2005 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all the home made spirits i've had taste like semi flavoured metho :/

i used to brew my own beer
kept it the laundray with a doona wrapped around it, used to try make enough during the cooler months to get me most of the way through the wamer months(stocked about 150 bottles Wink )

a few tips

1. never forget to steralise your bottles (ever seen stuff growing inside a beer Shocked it's not cool!!)
2. USE dextrose. dextrose is better than cane sugar, but malt extract is even better again, but using steeped or mashed grain is better again.
3. use glucose drops in the bottles NOT sugar.
4. always wait longer than it says on the tin
5. if making ale or lager (never made stout but prolly applies to) don't just follow the instructions, add malt and/or finishing hops for a better flavour
6. always ask help (mates, guys in shop, etc)
7. use purified water if available (you'll taste the difference)
8. use crown tops if using glass!!
9. DON"T use a hand capper!! buy a decent lever operated capper!!
10. ginger beer is your friend

[Updated on: Mon, 31 January 2005 09:21]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Home brewing Mon, 31 January 2005 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm interested in #10. Whats the story with this?
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Home brewing Mon, 31 January 2005 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alcoholic ginger beer rocks. tastes good, smells good, and gets you drunk real good Very Happy
same with alcoholic sars Smile
very easy to drink and very easy to get very alcoholic
well for "beer" anyways...think me and a friend got his ginger beer to about 12%. didnt taste too bad atl all Wink it can get rather sweet though
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Home brewing Mon, 31 January 2005 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mmmmm I like ginger beer.
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Home brewing Mon, 31 January 2005 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Mon, 31 January 2005 19:34

use this knowledge wisely then young grasshopper
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Home brewing Mon, 31 January 2005 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Mon, 31 January 2005 20:34

It makes two of us then Cool1. If i get into home brewing it'd have to be for the ginger beer as well as apple cider
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Home brewing Tue, 01 February 2005 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is a large thread on the OCAU forums about home brew, forums.overclockers.com.au but you have to sign up to see it.

There is bucketloads of info there!
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Home brewing Tue, 01 February 2005 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As in alchaholic sarspirella or alchaholic death disease?

cause it if its the first im interested Wink
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Home brewing Tue, 01 February 2005 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gearb0x wrote on Tue, 01 February 2005 16:10

As in alchaholic sarspirella or alchaholic death disease?

cause it if its the first im interested Wink

first Smile
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Home brewing Wed, 02 February 2005 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My housemate has agreed to let me modify his fridge in order to get a better home brew Smile

And so it starts... I'll keep you posted.
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Home brewing Fri, 11 February 2005 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Got stuff delivered for my temp controller...will start building this weekend Smile
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Home brewing Fri, 11 February 2005 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What controller are you building?
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Home brewing Sun, 13 February 2005 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thechuckster wrote on Wed, 19 January 2005 14:33

this was mentioned recently on slashdot:
http://www.lemis.com/grog/brewing/temperature-cont rol.html
using an old 486, some temp sensors and relay controls and freeBSD to control the brew Wink

Cool1 a very similar setup to this one, slightly different temp sensor, very different realy board.

I will probably do the controller in c# or vb.net as an n-tier type thing. Why? becuase i can, i guess...stick with what i know!
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Home brewing Mon, 14 February 2005 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I used to brew my own spirits. Its really simple. Get a decanter from a home-brew shop and a few other ingredients (like charcol etc.).

Put it all together and put in a cupboard. Takes a few months and then flavour with whatever you want.

I made some really good vodka, bacardi and choc banana. They're great for punches and that sort of thing. Generally come out to about 25-30% alcohol. You can vary it by using honey instead of sugar or by flavouring it with different stuff afterwards.

Then I got into distilling too. Good source of methanol as you get about a cup of it before it starts to become ethanol. I wonder if you could heat the liquid using methanol, and have a kind of semi-perpetual machine.

If I remember next time I'm at my parents place I'll take a few photos of my still.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Home brewing Wed, 16 February 2005 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Home brew shops have the lot!

Anyway, we got a coopers kit, made a larger (which i think will be weak and flavourless) but now we've started our own brew. Coopers pale ale wort with 1kg brewing sugar and about 360ml of honey! Smile It smells really really nice so far, and has been fermenting the whole week so far.

I can't wait to try it Smile
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Home brewing Tue, 12 April 2005 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just bought myself a home brew kegging kit. mmmm keg of beer! *drools*
pjaw11sc
Regular

February 2004
Re: Home brewing Wed, 13 April 2005 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey ppl! i just got a home brew kit (coopers) for my birthday on friday, what is a good brew to buy? any hints for a first timer?
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Home brewing Wed, 13 April 2005 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hints for first timer: When you think you have steralised everything, do it again!
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Home brewing Wed, 13 April 2005 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And attaching your bottle brush to a drill does wonders Smile
Bozza
Regular

September 2004
Re: Home brewing Fri, 15 April 2005 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does anybody know where a good place is in brisbane (southside) to buy a home brew kit? How much would it cost to start it up?

Torrens

[Updated on: Sat, 16 April 2005 09:56]

Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Home brewing Sat, 16 April 2005 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If your interested in ordering online this guy looked after me!

http://www.countrybrewer.com.au/
le_angel
Newcomer

April 2005

Re: Home brewing Tue, 19 April 2005 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try this
1 kg apples sweet cook them first
3 kg sugar
2 tablespoons ginger
yeast

dont bottle into glass bottle in to plastic pets
put a rasin in the top of each bottle and about 1/4 teaspoon sugar

bottle when it stops working same as beer
leave in a dark safe place has been known to blow up OFTEN
so dont use glass

open outside as it can be pretty fizzy
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Home brewing Tue, 19 April 2005 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know someone that used to home brew they are dead now, anyway he had his fridge set up with a tap and stuck a keg inside the frige of his home brew connect it up and you have ice cold home brew on tap.
mynameisrodney
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Home brewing Wed, 20 April 2005 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

try this
1 kg apples sweet cook them first
3 kg sugar
2 tablespoons ginger
yeast

dont bottle into glass bottle in to plastic pets
put a rasin in the top of each bottle and about 1/4 teaspoon sugar

what exactly is this? and whats with the raisen?
pjaw11sc
Regular

February 2004
Re: Home brewing Sat, 23 April 2005 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok ppl i need some info, i put my brew down about 2 days ago and im not sure if its working (its my first one) how often does the airlock bubble? and i have a LOT of condensation under the lid is this a good sign?
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Home brewing Sat, 23 April 2005 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Should be bubbling every 5-10 seconds, or at least my brew does...
RobertoX
Regular

May 2002
Re: Home brewing Tue, 26 April 2005 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, about 5-10 seconds... it should start bubbling within 1 day.

I put on a brew over the weekend with 1.5kg malt, 1kg sugar (dextrose&sucrose), 300g grain and 1kg honey oh, and some hopps too (23 liters)... should be nice Smile will probably be a triple fermentation Evil or Very Mad
pjaw11sc
Regular

February 2004
Re: Home brewing Tue, 26 April 2005 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well the wierd thing is that the gravity is changing (its been goin since the 21st and ive checked it twice since initial) but i havent seen it bubble yet. i watched it for about a minute yesterday and it didnt bubble
RobertoX
Regular

May 2002
Re: Home brewing Tue, 26 April 2005 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So the hydrometer is sinking but no bubbles yeah? The container is definately sealed right? no holes anywhere? You could check this by squeezing the container and seeing if the airlock bubbles (I can just push down on the lid on mine).
I Usually get a lot of condensation under the lid too, thats normal.

It should be getting close to bottling time...

Hmmmm... I would be inclined to bottle and see what happens.
Put another brew on straight away so if it did fail you only have about a week to wait for the next one Very Happy
pjaw11sc
Regular

February 2004
Re: Home brewing Thu, 28 April 2005 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats the thing, there is bubbles when i take a sample in the hydrometer tube and it has a head of about 10mm aswell, so i have to let it sit for a while before i can take a reading. ive tasted it from the sample and it tastes like it should Confused
bajabus
Regular

March 2005
Re: Home brewing Thu, 28 April 2005 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Squid wrote on Thu, 14 April 2005 08:20

Hints for first timer: When you think you have steralised everything, do it again!

Correct!! Nothing worse than waiting 2 mths for your brew to reach its potential, only for it to taste like donkey piss!!
bajabus
Regular

March 2005
Re: Home brewing Thu, 28 April 2005 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Squid wrote on Sun, 24 April 2005 08:06

Should be bubbling every 5-10 seconds, or at least my brew does...

Generally for the first half of the brew it will bubble rapidly like Squid said then by about day 5 it may slow to 1 per hr. Approx.

bajabus
Regular

March 2005
Re: Home brewing Thu, 28 April 2005 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pjaw11sc wrote on Sat, 23 April 2005 18:44

ok ppl i need some info, i put my brew down about 2 days ago and im not sure if its working (its my first one) how often does the airlock bubble? and i have a LOT of condensation under the lid is this a good sign?

sounds fine Smile
mynameisrodney
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Home brewing Thu, 28 April 2005 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys, ive been using carbonation drops when i bottle my beers which has worked out fine as i was using the 750ml PET bottles which came with my kit. i want to go to glass bottles but the majority of glass bottles without screw caps are about 330ml. as the carbo drops are supposed to be 1 per 375 ml with this be too much sugar and make my bottles explode, or is close enough goo enough?

chris

[Updated on: Thu, 28 April 2005 05:36]

Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Home brewing Thu, 25 August 2005 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well the brewing fridge is all set up and my test batch (water) is sitting at 25 degrees +/- 0.2 degrees. Will throw down a batch of beer on saturday, see how we go!

mynameisrodney - late reply, but my 330mls didn't blow up with a single carponation drop.
h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Home brewing Thu, 25 August 2005 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mate makes an awesome apple cider! Very Happy
im his test pilot
biggo
Regular

November 2004
Re: Home brewing Fri, 26 August 2005 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
While not really home brew but anyways

Theres a home brew place in brisbane called "BREW 4 U" and the make bloody good drops. We used to get me dad to order cartons of their corona brew for like $20 per 60 bottles or sumthing and the brewed it for us too. Very Happy

Theres nothing like a good cheap home brew mmmmmmmmm.....

Also, my bros friend brews his own spirts at about 55%, a word of warning, never make home brew gin cause it WILL blow your head off Laughing
mynameisrodney
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Home brewing Fri, 26 August 2005 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
distilling and brewing are completely different. distilling is also illegal as it is much easier to fuck it up and cause serious side effects. so if i were you i'd stay away from that shit and stick to the beer. it tastes better anyway.

chris
bajabus
Regular

March 2005
Re: Home brewing Thu, 22 September 2005 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

[Updated on: Thu, 22 September 2005 11:28]

bajabus
Regular

March 2005
Re: Home brewing Thu, 22 September 2005 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Squid,
what type of heating element are you using to maintain the temp? In the past I have use a 40w globe which has worked well.
B

Squid wrote on Thu, 25 August 2005 11:52

Well the brewing fridge is all set up and my test batch (water) is sitting at 25 degrees +/- 0.2 degrees. Will throw down a batch of beer on saturday, see how we go!

mynameisrodney - late reply, but my 330mls didn't blow up with a single carponation drop.

mynameisrodney
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Home brewing Thu, 22 September 2005 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okay brewing experts here's my problem.
my last batch of beer was flat but potent as (1.1kg sugar + 250g honey). so i figure it cant be temp making it flat coz otherwise there would have been no fermentation and no alcohol.

when brewing a more alcoholic beer, do you need different yeast? also do you stir the mix up before bottling? the instructions say not to, but my best results have been wheen i have had to carry my keg somewhere else to bottle.

chris
PS. 250g is way too much honey. lol. next time i'll go 150
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Home brewing Thu, 22 September 2005 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you use honey your going to have to use a hellaoflot more yeast! Reason being that the honey has its own natural yeast which spoils the brew!
mynameisrodney
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Home brewing Thu, 22 September 2005 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
ok thanks,ill head out to the brewing shop and grab some,

so anyone wanna buy 2 cases of shitty flat honey brew? Laughing
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:"3" Phones
Next Topic:Any lawyers out there, i need your help
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 07:59:14 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0087029933929443 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.