Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
icon9.gif  Engine Code Frenzy Thu, 14 April 2005 05:21 Go to next message
I have an infuriating problem.....

My car is an RA23 with a 1G-GZE. The engine and all its components (including AFM) are from a late 1988 GS130 Crown, the ECU is from an early 1989 GX81 Chaser. It starts, runs and drives, but runs very very rich and like its in limp home mode all the time.

Initially I found that when I pulled the water temp sensor out I got a code 11, meaning interruption to the ECU power, not the expected code 22, Water Temp sensor.

With Sideshows help Smile (the man is a legend!) I found that the earth for the sensors (E2) was not grounded, so I put another earth in and that seems to have fixed that. Pulling the water temp sensor gave me a code 22 now. Ran the car for a day, still uber rich.....

So, now I pulled off almost all the sensors to see what would happen. I disconnected the TPS, Water Temp, ISCV, AFM, 02 sensor and Knock sensor (1 of 2), started the car and let it run for a minute.

Shorted the TE1 and E1 and started counting flashes. I got 22 - Water Temp, 24 - Intake Air Temp (AFM?) and 41 - TPS, only. Nothing more. So, I cleared the codes, hooked back up AFM, TPS and Water Temp, left ISCV, O2 and Knock disconnected, and started it again for a minute - tested for codes and got none, just the continuous flashing......

WTF ?????

Are all these sensors U/S ? Or do I have a deeper ECU problem. If its an auto ECU I have, is it expecting inputs from an auto tranny ?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mitch.
  Send a private message to this user    
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Engine Code Frenzy Thu, 14 April 2005 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not much help here, but the ISCV, would that be able to report an error code? Because isn't the ECU just supplying it power, and not expecting a signal back?

Unlike the O2 sensor and knock sensors that should be supplying the ECU with a signal of some sort.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Engine Code Frenzy Thu, 14 April 2005 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
With my old motor, sometimes I had to actually DRIVE the car to get the CEL to turn on and the ecu to throw a code.

I'd start it, back it out of the driveway, and half way down the street, when it reached a certain RPM under a certain load, it would throw the code.

Take the thing for a drive.

Also, I'm pretty sure the motor locks the timing to 10degBTDC under limp home.
Put the back wheels in the air, and rev the motor in 1st to like 3000rpm, see if the timing changes (with a timing light obviously)
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Engine Code Frenzy Thu, 14 April 2005 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks guys, both good ideas.

If the static timing is advanced to something like 14 degrees BTDC, would that richen up or lean out the mixture ?

I think I might have a timing problem....

Cheers,
Mitch.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Engine Code Frenzy Thu, 14 April 2005 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I didn't think timing would have a huge effect on mixtures.

Do you know how rich it actually is? Like has it been on a wideband meter?

Just a thought, but were the AFM meters different between the GS130 & GX81?
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Engine Code Frenzy Thu, 14 April 2005 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your clarification on timing re: mixtures.

Yes, according to the EPC, AFM's did differ between GX81 and GS130.

Do you know if the AFM has a body to earth wire ?

Thanks,
Mitch.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Engine Code Frenzy Thu, 14 April 2005 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AFM wiring is usually all in the loom, nothing is separate.

And the part numbers will be different because the bracket will be different.

But if the internals are different, you need the AFM to suit the ECU.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Engine Code Frenzy Thu, 14 April 2005 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All the air flow meters i've wired up have a wire that are earthed through the engine wiring loom earth.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Engine Code Frenzy Thu, 14 April 2005 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There isn't an air leak anywhere is there?

My friends rb20det engine I just wired up was running so rich you couldn't get the revs up just flooding itself. I thought it was wiring but then noticed one of the pipes on the intercooler wasn't sealing well and causing the problem..

Hmm thankgod for map sensors Smile
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Engine Code Frenzy Thu, 14 April 2005 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I will feel around for air leaks and no, have not had it on a wideband 02 sensor to get any idea of a real figure.

I just found some 1G-GTEU engine codes and yes, Knock and Oxygen need 1500 to 2000 rpm and a stable warm engine temp (>50 degrees) before they will throw a code.

I have had these conditions yesterday when I drove the car for 15 mins and neither of these codes were thrown up, so I will assume that they are both OK.

I just opened up the AFM and found 7 pins in the AFM unit housing itself, but only 6 in the loom plug.

Is this significant ?

Looking at the plug, top at top and left to right, connector for pin 5 is missing.

I put the multimeter across the connectors and got this:

1. 4.98 volt
2. 30.7 millivolt
3. negligible
4. 4.98 volt
5. EMPTY
6. 11.60 volt
7. negligible

Does this seem right ? Does anyone have a working AFM to look inside ? I'm unsure of having a pin in the AFM and no connector in the loom plug to match it.....

Thanks guys for your help, I really appreciate it.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Engine Code Frenzy Thu, 14 April 2005 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Checked another AFM and also got 7 pins on the unit and 6 connectors in the loom plug, so this would seem to be standard.

And, according to Autoshop 101, the old style AFM measured 2 variables, VC and VS and also had a 12 volt feed, so it seems all the inputs are there for the thing to run OK.

So, given that no other fault codes have been thrown up, meaning that all sensor's should be OK, I guess I am left to tune this thing with a sniffer up its bum and the AFM adjustment screw.

Cheers,
Mitch.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Engine Code Frenzy Fri, 15 April 2005 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you have a spare afm pop the top cap off the thing and have a look at the guts.. you can tweak around in there too.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Engine Code Frenzy Fri, 15 April 2005 01:58 Go to previous message
Fair comment, but I am loathe to muck around inside a device that has been set at the factory.....
I'm better off trying to find out why it is running so grossly rich.....and given that the sensors say all is well (I think !)I guess that I am back to searching for some kind of air leak again......
Cheers,
Mitch.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4AGE Engine Number, Where is it?
Next Topic:After a cheap good quality amp
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 07:09:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0044701099395752 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.