Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
icon8.gif  Metrinch Tools Fri, 15 April 2005 09:20 Go to next message
Does anyone that owns a Metrinch set had any problems at all with them? In the space of 2 weeks, after buying a set, I've already snapped 2 adaptor pieces. One time was using a short breaker bar, the other time simply by hand. BOTH times were on the same bolt (its a head bolt). I just snapped the other one then after getting a replacement today. It's VERY annoying!!! Just curious if anyone else has had any similar problems?

Eddie.
  Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Metrinch Tools Fri, 15 April 2005 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Metrinch stuff I thought was usually pretty damn good. You might have a dud lot, are they new or old?
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Metrinch Tools Fri, 15 April 2005 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brand spanking new. Cost me $130 for just a socket set... no spanners.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Metrinch Tools Fri, 15 April 2005 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd be taking them back.
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Metrinch Tools Fri, 15 April 2005 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The adaptor piece was a 3/8 to 1/4 drive bit on a 12mm socket. Sheared it CLEAN off both times. Even the dude i took it back to was suprised it snapped so easily. Am I doing something wrong with this bolt or is the set just plain shite? I sprayed craploads of WD40 and let it set for about 1/2h.
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Metrinch Tools Fri, 15 April 2005 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What sort of head bolt? I thought most head bolts were double hex, in which case metrinch would be useless.
I've personally never had any probs with the few metrinch bits I have, & they've actually been priceless on a number of occasions.

Just wait until the Witzl sees this thread, he loves them so much he wants his metrinch set to have his babies! Laughing

EDIT: hang on, why the hell would you use a 1/4 drive 12mm socket on a head bolt?? 1/4 drive is just not made for that sort of force....

[Updated on: Fri, 15 April 2005 09:37]

Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Metrinch Tools Fri, 15 April 2005 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its a headbolt off a 4ac. I actually asked the guy there if i should be using something else for the bolt because i was thinking of swapping for a different set. He said it should be fine and it was a factory fault with my piece. I said ok and tried it out.... SNAP.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Metrinch Tools Fri, 15 April 2005 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
screw you bigperm Razz

i rekon you have been a little harsh to it myself.... but in any case just do what i do....

... if a tool you have cant do the job you want, buy the bit you need!! In your case buy a 3/8" 12mm socket of a reputable brand.

Were you holding the wobble extension bar straight with your spare hand. Too often i see people incorrectly applying force to their ratchet spanner by just pulling the handle with one hand. This applies force to the bolt on only one side as the socket is not only trying to TURN the bolt, but to LIFT OFF the bolt head as well.
When i do it, i have one hand hold the socket straight, and the other pull back on the handle... much in this way:

http://www.rollamods.com/witzl/RA28/18RG%20Stripdown/white-bar.jpg

See how one hand is pushing the handle end, whilst the other keeps the socket vertical by pulling back??

That's what you want to be doing.

[Updated on: Fri, 15 April 2005 09:53]

Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Metrinch Tools Fri, 15 April 2005 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you were using a breaker bar on a quarter inch bit?
No wonder you broke it... I only use the breaker bar on half inch bits or 3/8th inch if its just to quickly crack the bolt!

Edit: wrote stuff arse backwards.

[Updated on: Fri, 15 April 2005 09:46]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Metrinch Tools Fri, 15 April 2005 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Personally I'd be using 3/8" socket, the Superworks stuff from Super Cheap Auto is relatively cheap, and good quality, yet comes with a lifetime warranty, can't really go wrong. 1/4" is too small to really bother with.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Metrinch Tools Fri, 15 April 2005 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
need the right tool for the right job in this case i think.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Metrinch Tools Fri, 15 April 2005 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1/4" is the baby one.

i've still used my 3/8" ->1/4" adaptor on MANY tough bolts and never snapped it. I only once snapped the 3/8" wobble extension bar with the manipulator and a strut that wouldnt undo.

[Updated on: Fri, 15 April 2005 09:52]

Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Metrinch Tools Fri, 15 April 2005 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for all the replies... guess I'll have to shell out a bit more to get this damn bolt off. Cheers guys.

Eddie.
screech
Regular

February 2005
Re: Metrinch Tools Fri, 15 April 2005 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
after my experience working at BUNNINGS

(1 of my many previous jobs)

i find that with tools, you pay for what you get.
try spending a fraction more at REPCO, very good tools for the price.

i must say that i understand your frustration that you encountered.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Metrinch Tools Fri, 15 April 2005 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont worry witzl i want my metrinch tools to have my babies too Razz

seriously a 1/4" socket is way too small to be hitting up with a breaker bar. get out the 1/2" drive or 3/8 and you should be fine.
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Metrinch Tools Fri, 15 April 2005 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah but i also snapped one of the bits simply by hand... no breaker bar at all.
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: Metrinch Tools Fri, 15 April 2005 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmmm.

1/4 inch drive adaptor + head bolt = snap

Yeah-go the 3/8 drive socket from SuperShit Auto.

I've still got a full set of Snap-on 3/8 and 1/4 stuff from when I worked at Qantas and we were told to always use 3/8 where possible. Being young and dumb I didn't a few times and SnapOff......

As an aside, we had a 8ft torque wrench and I used it a few times-the specified torques were all over 800ft/lbs. It took 3 of us hanging on it to get to pop. (landing gear trunion bolt on a 707)

Cheers
Sean
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Metrinch Tools Fri, 15 April 2005 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why don't you borrow some tools of me or Witzl tomorrow when you're over taking your sump off the pimp donk? Very Happy
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Metrinch Tools Fri, 15 April 2005 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm which piece was it ? the 3/8 -> 1/4 adaptor ? cant say ive really ever used the 1/4 gear for anything other then interior parts or tiny stuff so ive never really put alot of torque though it.

ive never had anything but positive experience with the metrinch stuff. only problem is things like head bolts that are double hex Sad
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Metrinch Tools Fri, 15 April 2005 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Fri, 15 April 2005 20:13

Why don't you borrow some tools of me or Witzl tomorrow when you're over taking your sump off the pimp donk? Very Happy

Well I'll order the 3/8 socket tommorrow anyway. Not in the biggest rush to get this engine head off... its just annoying having to wait. Besides Toobs, i'm SURE i'll find a way to break your tools too Laughing Laughing Thank god for lifetime warrenty!!
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Metrinch Tools Fri, 15 April 2005 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I personally wouldn't be using anything smaller than a 1/2" drive when using a bar longer than 12"

Definately not a 1/4"

Not for something that is up at 60+ft lbs.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Metrinch Tools Fri, 15 April 2005 19:23 Go to previous message
Big T wrote on Fri, 15 April 2005 20:43

Toobs wrote on Fri, 15 April 2005 20:13

Well I'll order the 3/8 socket tommorrow anyway. Not in the biggest rush to get this engine head off... its just annoying having to wait. Besides Toobs, i'm SURE i'll find a way to break your tools too Laughing Laughing Thank god for lifetime warrenty!!

Good luck breaking a metrinch half inch set buddy!
I'll take my adaptor bit out of the set so you don't get tempted Razz
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Chased by VL ROAD RAGE!
Next Topic:AE85's Not AE86's
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 11:08:10 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060920715332031 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.