Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RouwT
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Oil Pressure Problem Fri, 15 April 2005 08:51 Go to next message
Hey all,

I went to my first drive in the striker yesterday. swapped the engine for a 4age T50 set-up (which absolutely goes like stink by the way)

But when the engine was in the garage during test runs, the oil pressure gauge has always showed around 62PSI at 3000 rpm, which is very nice for a 4age, How ever yesterday after a short pull up run (and a fast one I might say) the pressure was down to 37PSI, which is still within factory range but kinda Low if you ask me. factory range is 32-71 PSI @3000RPM.

No the question is could this have anything to do with the pressure relieve valve situated in the oilpump housing? considering I've pulled the engine pretty far (6000+ RPM)could it have opened to relieve the excess pressure, and simply not have closed again? or is there a more simple thing to watch for.

the stupid thing is that in the test runs I've made more RPMs without the pressure ever being different than 60/70 PSI.

hope you can help before I destroy my engine, next Sunday is track-day at the former formula ! circuit Zandvoort (Holland) so some hurry is made.

regards Thomas
  Send a private message to this user    
ralfross
Regular

On Probation

April 2005
Re: Oil Pressure Problem Fri, 15 April 2005 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds ok to me. My engine is at about that at idle. So was my last car. After a run of course.

It should be at 60-70psi when driving though.
RouwT
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: Oil Pressure Problem Fri, 15 April 2005 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well errhm, that is when driving, the presure doesn't seem to get above 37PSI anymore no matter what revs you make,

Idle is about 17 PSI which is well within specs (4.3 PSI by the book)

I don't think that's ok.

regards Thomas
retro
Occasional Poster

September 2003
Re: Oil Pressure Problem Fri, 15 April 2005 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey, my oil pressure in my 4age and my dad's 4age is unsually low as well, his is a new rebuild and mine is 175K km, it comes up and stabialises at around 3700rpm, i think they are all low. Think that your relif may have been a little stuck and now it has free'd up with exercise. I used Penrite 20w70 oil and it didnt seem to make any difference at all, so who knows,,,there strange engines.
Hope this halps a little

Cheers Retro
RouwT
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: Oil Pressure Problem Fri, 15 April 2005 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey retro,

I'll try and see what it does tonight, when I'm off work, might be starvation, acceleration is manic in this car now,

what I thought was, that the relief valve popped open, at 6500rpm, because that's the point most 4age's develop to much pressure which is then regulated by the relief valve, after popping open It might have not been able to close up again because of... ???. my engine has been sitting for many years.

It runs great, not ticks or anything, but I'm not happy with the 37PSI at high RPM, everywhere I look I hear people talk about 60-70 PSI at higher RPM.(except from you off-course)

so the question remains. has anyone got a scientific explanation with a reason oil pressure has dropped that sudden and that far Sad

PS oil type is: Shell 10W40

regards Thomas

[Updated on: Fri, 15 April 2005 10:34]

retro
Occasional Poster

September 2003
Re: Oil Pressure Problem Fri, 15 April 2005 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

i have a 93 GTI and the oil press is on the correct guage indicators, check my thread..........there buggers but when running right are fantastic, hope you find the problem , let me know as i will investigate mine further and let you know if i have any good responces.

Cheers Retro
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Oil Pressure Problem Sat, 16 April 2005 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
with 4AGE oil pressure you can get low figures at idle with thinner oils ( esp. semi and full synthetic ) tis is compounded when the oil is hot and gets thinner, generally it will be fine, as in its not problematic as long as at rpm it is steady and strong and your no getting low pressure at an idle over 1500rpm for those with big cams Smile
Syc02T
Regular

July 2002
Re: Oil Pressure Problem Sun, 17 April 2005 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe you experienced the lower oil pressure while driving because you got the car upto full opperating temperature on the road therefore the oil got warm and thinned.
In the garage you weren't running the car long enough to thin out the oil.
RouwT
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: Oil Pressure Problem Tue, 19 April 2005 04:18 Go to previous message
hey all,

well this is funny. the problem more or less cured itself.

But i think your right with the warming up thingy's. pressure stays high (65-70PSI) with a cold engine, which then warms up to about 82(celsius)WT, the oil will stay quite cold for about 15 minutes after the water getting warm, en the pressure drop to a steady 40PSI at 3Krpm, and all stays putt, even the watertemp will not move from 82degrees, what a fine engine this is (the ford kent regularly went over 105 at idle)
so do not think the engine is warm when the water is, your oil won't be warm yet.

anyway I don't now what it exactly was that made the sudden pressure, but it's going very OK now, and fast!

regards Thomas
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Can anyone suggest a better Alcohol/water injection setup ?
Next Topic:Noob
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 20 05:43:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051279067993164 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.