Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Richard84
Regular

October 2002
icon5.gif  How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Tue, 10 December 2002 10:04 Go to next message
Hey all,

just wondering what sort of kays you get out of an average tank of fuel. I put in 31 litres and all I get outta it is a lousy 280-300 kms. It lasts around a week and a half, since anywhere I drive is pretty close around here on the coast, but barely 300kms seems awfully low for the 4A-FC don't ya reckon?
When I got the car I could get 330 kms per tank. Since my exhaust went in, I've had this putting sound occasionally at high rev gear shifts (I've made a thread in the tech forum about this) and conclude I may need some serious carby tuning, could have a manifold leak (refers to that putting sound) or just need to fix it with a nice 20 valve 4A-GE. I've heard you can get 400kms plus outta a tank from a 4A-GE. True?
Opionions are valued.
Cheers.
  Send a private message to this user    
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Tue, 10 December 2002 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's all in the way you drive my friend... If you accelerate hard, brake hard, go fast everywhere and rev the motor a lot then fuel will go much faster... If you drive like a granny, you will get much better consumption...
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Tue, 10 December 2002 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For a carby car, 10KM/L isnt toooo bad around the city.
But as RollaBoy said, it really depends how you drive.

The new exhaust, if its not a copy of the original factory item, will probably lower fuel economy due to a loss in back pressure (which might also produce the popping). Tuning the carb wont help this.
raSkaS
Regular

July 2002
icon14.gif  Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Tue, 10 December 2002 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
best ive got outta my Levin 4age was about 680kms on a tank, that is approx 40 liters, no city driving mind you

Cam
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
icon10.gif  Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Tue, 10 December 2002 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my old 4-age sx seca, i could only every get a maximum of 390 klms out of 35 litres. and about 320 if i drive it hard
JUZZO
Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Tue, 10 December 2002 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If I drive mine hard or soft I get about 400km out of 35 odd litres, doesn't seem to change much. Thats with 4age ae86 but aftermarket computer.
ra23celicachick
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Tue, 10 December 2002 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My Stock 18RC (except extractors) get's about 260km from 35ltr's. That's really bad. It used to get at least 300km. I know one week where every time I went down a hill I'd put it in nuteral and I got 340km's.
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Tue, 10 December 2002 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stop complaining ! I get 400km out of ~67 litres.
Unfortunately, all city driving for me.
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Tue, 10 December 2002 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My 18-RC got 180K's out of 40L in City Driving,
280k's in Normal Driving "Highway, suburban"
and 500K's Freeway Driving.

that was one expensive 18-RC to run Very Happy
GEE120
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Tue, 10 December 2002 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehe, i dont know what some of you are complaining about i only get 400Km from a 68 litre tank
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Tue, 10 December 2002 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my mate has a holden nova, and drives basically from freemans reach (other side windsor) to silverwater 5 days a week for work. On a full tank he generally gets about 450k's. This is a full 40L mind you. Oh, and he also gets that gear change gurgle/popping.

My 4AFE on the other hand ususally got around 450-500 p/tank in city, and the best i got was ~680k/39L (sydney to grafton!)

Now my 18R-GU was kinda like martin's 18R-C: up to 350K's for 40L in the city (at best, only got 280k once!).. and a massive 550k's per 40L on the hwy from sydney to the snowy mtns.

Well gary, i dont have a big fat hair dryier now do i?
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Wed, 11 December 2002 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My old corolla (RV 1.8ltr) used to get about 450-500km's out of a full tank.

My Soarer on the other hand, about 330-350km's out of a full tank, 70ltr tank...
ra23celicachick
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Wed, 11 December 2002 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We've got a 83 Nissan pulsar at home. It's the spare car for when someone's doesn't go (usually mine) It's a 52ltr tank. The fule guage didn't work on it so we used to fill it up every 500K's. One time I went to fill it up after doing 550k's and I could only put 30ltrs in, I had 22 left. Now that's damn good fuel economy! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Dad worked out the fuel consumption for it but he works in miles per gallon so it means nothing to me. But he calculated it out and when they first got it they went interstate and aparently it did a lot better. About 10 years ago mum used to put $20 in and it would last a fortnight! Razz
Richard84
Regular

October 2002
Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Wed, 11 December 2002 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another reason I started this post is 'cause my mum's AE101 only gets around 320-340km per tank as well. Rarley 350 or so if she goes on a longer drive once a week for work. She is running an auto 'box on a 4A-FE. She only rarely puts the air con on for five mins a time to cool the cabin down on a very hot day. 320+ ain't too bad I guess. You'd just think it'd be more economical than it is.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Wed, 11 December 2002 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mate, your 4afe should get SHITLOADS more economy than that. I just drove mine around town, thrashing the crap out of it (manual AE92) on cruises and whatnot, and i got 450k's and the fuel light has just popped on. Im running stock except for the POD air filter.

Fill the car up FULL to the brim, then drive 400k's around town, and fill it TO THE TOP again, taking note of the litres that are required to fill it. Then use simple maths to work out the economy.

Normal for me on this system was around 38L - 420-450k's. Rarely was i able to fill more than 40L
wizzfizz2097
Regular

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Wed, 11 December 2002 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
60L = 600km city driving hard

country... im not sure, i heard an apollo only using just over 1/4 tank on a 400km trip!
Sprocket
Regular

October 2002
Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Wed, 11 December 2002 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know what you guys are complaining about.
My small car (now unreg.) got 242kms on 58Litres. That was driving carefully! I thrashed the crap out of it and got 190kms to 55Litres!
Mind you it was a rotary, and a slow one at that.

Now back to the issue. I drove a mates 4AFC for a while and it only seemed to get around that same fuel economy. With only a 40L tank, it seems like a very small figure compared to what you should be getting in kms.

Everytime I got in the car and started it, I could smell fuel....definately the carby had a problem, no fuel leaks anywhere, but the smell of fuel was so bad sometimes, I thought someone was syphoning out fuel!

Definately check the carby and the vacuum lines hooked up to the dizzy. Maybe even check the diaphrams on the dizzy for tears (get them tested with a vacuum gauge)
That always kills fuel economy if they have cracks in them or small holes from dirt.
RA23_Sean
Regular

May 2002

Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Wed, 11 December 2002 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My 300ZX (VG30E) gets about 550-600ks to a 72L tank during the week - driving from Penrith to Hornsby daily in pretty dodgy traffic. I never bothered with my Celica. I knew economy was shithouse, that was enough for me.
whiteGZE
Regular

May 2002

Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Wed, 11 December 2002 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My record is about 520km, on average I get 460km per tank (Ae82 gze). Mostly conservative driving though.
Remedy
Regular

August 2002

Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Wed, 11 December 2002 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Stop complaining ! I get 400km out of ~67 litres.
Unfortunately, all city driving for me.

WTF???

My tank is 80 litres..... what year model is your soarer...soarer? Very Happy
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Wed, 11 December 2002 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Remedy, I have a 1995 Soarer TT.

I was posting *actual* fuel use per litres used.
I do have an 80L tank, but I fill the car when the orange light comes on, which usually lets me put in about 67L.
Remedy
Regular

August 2002

Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Wed, 11 December 2002 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh ok.

Thought I might have another freak car....

My St162 Celica had a 60 Litre tank which I think is huge for a 2L 4 banger.

I once got almost 800Km to a tank in it. Thats about the only thing I miss about it though
Sprocket
Regular

October 2002
Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Wed, 11 December 2002 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I still reckon my mate's stock twin cam was the best (other than it stalling all the time, but that motors gone now)
It did 560Kms to the 40L tank, it was just nuts getting that gooder (is that a word?) fuel economy, it just feels wrong!
I have a ZF Lemfoerder company magazine here that says VW have designed and built a "one litre" car that can literally travel 100kms on one litre of fuel!
But it's not as if anyone here gives a shit about VW.
Sprocket
Regular

October 2002
Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Wed, 11 December 2002 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If anyone does want to read the article, have a look here.

http://www.vwvortex.com/news/04_02/04_17/index.sht ml
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Thu, 12 December 2002 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pretty proud of my RA60, just completed a long drive down south, lots of hilly roads, managed 587km out of 51 litres. Not great, but a lot better than she used to.
Best I've got is 9.75l/100km in highway/suburban driving, usually it uses around 11l/100km.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Thu, 12 December 2002 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I usually get AT LEAST 400Km off around 30L, however, when driving to work (50Km each way) I can get around 500K before the fuel light comes on in my 4AFC paddock basher....

Whack some Carby cleaner through your car and see how much black stuff comes out. Its also possible that your mixture is really rich or your choke is stuck on or something.

I have a bit of a problem where the car idles way too high though (like 1300 when warm)... Tried changing the return spring etc as you can physically push the half moon wheel and it idles at a flat 800 but it didn't work... (time for more carby cleaner maybe...)

Also you may want to whack a little "Start You Bastard" in your carby as this stuff is like carby cleaner on steroids!

[Updated on: Thu, 12 December 2002 06:49]

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Thu, 12 December 2002 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
400 off 30 litres?!?

my old celica only ever got around 350 off 55 litres!
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Thu, 12 December 2002 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My fuel guage is still reading just a tad under half and I've done over 350Km ( : Who says carbys are not fuel efficient (when compared to single point fuel injection anyway)
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Thu, 12 December 2002 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my 1jz supra has done 130km and has only used 1/5th of a tank
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Thu, 12 December 2002 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The fuel gauge on my Soarer is stupid... I get 300km out of the first half of the gauge, then I only get 100km out of the last half. Is it some sort of logarithmic scale or what ? It definitely isn't linear.
Sprocket
Regular

October 2002
Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Thu, 12 December 2002 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think that's something to make you feel better about your car.
"Wow look, I've done 100k's and the fuel gauge hasn't budged from Full yet!"
I think it also has something to do with how your in tank fuel gauge sender works.
cam_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
haha, funny little head!
Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Fri, 13 December 2002 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just had a look at the 1-liter car and it puts out an amazing 6.3kw!!!

Recently i got 300km from 18 litres from my KE30 with a 4K engine. that was highway driving averaging about 95kmph
Richard84
Regular

October 2002
Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Sat, 14 December 2002 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Still no improvement on my economy investigation. But what do you expect when you haven't investigated yet!?! I do drive moderately hard, but not outrageous, only hitting 40-50km/h in 2nd, 60 in 3rd then down to fourth. I use fifth for 70km/h and above. Then there's the occasional thrash on a few winding roads about three or four times a week. I will check all my seals, clean my carby and RIP OUT MY ENGINE AND STICK A BIG FAT 4A-GE IN IT!! If I'm gonna burn some fuel, it may as well burn at high revs!! Thanks for some of your insights people.
And to those of you who have mentioned you only get 3-400 km p/tank, THAT'S BECAUSE MOST OF THOSE WHO SAID SOMETHING ALONG THOSE LINES DRIVE ABSOLUTELY MAD CARS LIKE SOARER TTS AND TURBOED CELICAS. Oh to have your problem, fueeling a hell car
Crying or Very Sad
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Sat, 14 December 2002 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah.. I used to have that train of thought, bitching about my stock 2.4efi celica only getting 350km per 60 litre tank, which is about the same fuel economy as a 300zx, but then I got myself a real car... 3 times the power, and better fuel economy (haven't gone through a whole take yet, so I cant say how much it gets)
Richard84
Regular

October 2002
Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Sun, 15 December 2002 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well...

Richard has just clocked 320km and is down to his last quarter of a tank! Yay. some distance on fuel. Maybe a bad stint of fuel lately. But I have put carby cleanser in the fuel, so we'll see if that does anything to improve.
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Sun, 15 December 2002 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my 4age only just got 270klms from 35 litres,
is this bad mileage?
I do race it around though and i live in the city.
corollafreak
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Tue, 17 December 2002 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shit you reckon thats bad i only get 75l outta 100km' now thats bad
cseufert
Occasional Poster

October 2002

Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Tue, 17 December 2002 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Diahatsu Charade (1 lt 3cyl) gets around 600km from 31lt of fuel (34lt tank) Not bad for a little carby beast Smile

Hmm, and the camry (3s-fe) gets around 600k on 60lt of fuel.
Sprocket
Regular

October 2002
Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Tue, 17 December 2002 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Say what? 75L/100kms?? You've got a leak?
Charades are awesome, personally I prefer the 1.3L 16valve, they go like stink!
corollafreak
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Fri, 20 December 2002 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah but i can't seem to find it i've been losing power from my mini and have traced evrything back to fuel tank but can't find anything it's giving me tha shit's even mechanics are stuffed to what the problem is weve replaced everything to do with fuel and still nothing even been and had heart surgery
frebbles
Regular

May 2002

Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Mon, 23 December 2002 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is me on a good week...

51.6 Litres for 450km....

Equates to 11.47L/100km

350,000km
Old 7M-GE with reco'd head after BHG...
I figure thats pretty good...

It got to 19L/100km when the O2 sensor was blown, bah!, and my mechanic said "oh its just old"..
leebroozlee
Regular

November 2002

Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Wed, 01 January 2003 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my 7afe used to get 400kms/35L (7.44c/km i think [@85c/L]) on regular premium, but i recently advanced the timing (just a liiiittle) and started running premium and getting at least 450kms/35L (7.39c/km i think [@95c/L])..but u have an FC so i don't think this helps Razz
Julz
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Thu, 02 January 2003 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
350-400kms from 35L of Vortex (combination driving)
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon1.gif  Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Thu, 02 January 2003 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As I wrote here:

Nark wrote on Sun, 19 May 2002 7:43 PM

10.7L/100 around town.
7.1L/100 on the freeway.

The 21R-C used to guzzle 13-14L/100km in City driving and produced a third the power... No No No

[Updated on: Thu, 02 January 2003 01:47]

GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Thu, 02 January 2003 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well on my new car "93 model Charade" which is a 1.3L 4 Cylinder it has a 50L tank and i got 600K's out of it and thats not driving it slowly either Very Happy
Sam
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: How many kms do u get per tank (I think I may have a problem) Thu, 02 January 2003 23:01 Go to previous message
I'm running in my new engine at the moment, but the old 4AC used to get around 350k's from about 40 litres around town, but thats lots of backstreet driving from work to back, up and down the gears the whole way. Plus I had a bad case of Accelaratis HeavyFootis.

rgrds

sam
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:New addition to the family
Next Topic:First post of 2003
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 10 02:05:54 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0086498260498047 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.