Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » TVIS warp on 4agte??? true or not??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ke35 - 4AGZE
Regular

April 2004
TVIS warp on 4agte??? true or not?? Fri, 15 April 2005 01:46 Go to next message
ok,

i know evryone who has read the 4agte article will instantly say that the butterfy valves on the TVIS system will warp, break off and end up in ur combustion chamber.

BUT!

i just want to know if any1 has experienced this??

1ggte run TVIS and they dont seem to have any problems.

are the two systems built differently or is this just what every1 does becos that is what they believe to b true??

does anybody have some actual facts??

im asking as im considering leaving it on a 4agte so improve low down torque and throttle response off boost!

also wouldnt the butterflies be open by the time serious 'boost' was made?? thus the butterflies wouldnt actually have to face much abuse??!

thanks

James

Send a private message to this user    
ke35 - 4AGZE
Regular

April 2004
Re: TVIS warp on 4agte??? true or not?? Fri, 15 April 2005 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone?
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: TVIS warp on 4agte??? true or not?? Fri, 15 April 2005 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I reckon there's no way it would happen, as there would be equal pressure either side of the butterflies. Once the air is past the T-VIS the port in the head is open to both valves & the back of the closed butterfly, so I just don't see it happening.
I think it would be a worthy experiment, & fairly easy to remove to compare any difference. It would prolly only be worth trying on a low boost application, once you start running any moderate pressure they would likely provide somewhat of a restriction to peak airflow (when open of course).
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TVIS warp on 4agte??? true or not?? Fri, 15 April 2005 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
some models of the 3sgte use a t-vis set-up from factory dont they?
retro
Occasional Poster

September 2003
Re: TVIS warp on 4agte??? true or not?? Fri, 15 April 2005 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Consider this, under full boost applications you will have at the most .....18lb boost......the size of the TVIS butterfly is ..say for argument sake 3/4 of an inch in area at the most...that equates to 13lb of force on the TVIS valve (pressure being equal and undeminished in all directions) if you could get the turbo on full boost with the TVIS butterfly completly closed.
So as you are running a blow off valve as well, the chance of the TVIS valve being closed and you being on full boost and the blow off valve failing is almost non existant you have no problems, if this scenario was to emerge and the TVIS valve shaft didnt have the strength to withstand a shear load of 13 lb of force then it would have dissapeared down the combustion chambers a long time ago.

Go for it and goodluck dude!! Very Happy

[Updated on: Fri, 15 April 2005 14:40]

DRFT - 86
Regular

February 2005
Re: TVIS warp on 4agte??? true or not?? Fri, 15 April 2005 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
interesting............
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: TVIS warp on 4agte??? true or not?? Fri, 15 April 2005 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
never heard of it before, sounds kinda stupid if you ask me, I mean for a start why would they warp and even if they did they can't break. and I dont see it any more likely than the throttle body falling in, besides I dont think one of them could make it past a valve.
Mr Revhead
Regular

October 2004
Re: TVIS warp on 4agte??? true or not?? Fri, 15 April 2005 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
never heard that one before.....
sounds like a thoery from an internet mechanic to me....

unless going mad id leave the tvis there..... ppl i know who have tried both reckon its better there, helps off boost performance, and you cant boost it all the time! Evil or Very Mad
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: TVIS warp on 4agte??? true or not?? Sat, 16 April 2005 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
retro wrote on Sat, 16 April 2005 00:37

that equates to 13lb of force on the TVIS valve (pressure being equal and undeminished in all directions)

Yeah, that's if the other side of the valve was sealed off to this pressure, which it is not. The pressure is equal both sides of the valve, so there would be NO force acting on the valve to "warp" it.
I see no way this could happen.
ke35 - 4AGZE
Regular

April 2004
Re: TVIS warp on 4agte??? true or not?? Sat, 16 April 2005 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks guys!!

im gonna do it, i believe that it is just a internet mechanic story as well!!

James
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: TVIS warp on 4agte??? true or not?? Sat, 16 April 2005 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wouldnt the tvi-s just end up as a restriction in the inlet in a boosted application?

The butterflies are prettey hard to remove but better safe than sorry i reckon im removing mine.
ke35 - 4AGZE
Regular

April 2004
Re: TVIS warp on 4agte??? true or not?? Sun, 17 April 2005 03:22 Go to previous message
yeah... but this is my street car and benifits low down would be good.

but, i dont think i can do it. i wont be able to control it unless i have an output from the computer to the soleniod, so it looks like i might ebd up taking it out anyway

thanks

James
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Manual conversion questions, just a couple....
Next Topic:compression depression
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 14:34:53 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065438747406006 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.