Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
tomartom
Regular

June 2004
Cheap Wireless Bundle Sat, 09 April 2005 09:26 Go to next message
I finally have decided to upgrade to ASDL, and whilst in Harvey Norman I purchaed a Dlink Bundle, including a Router(DI614)/DSL/cable router and an DLink PCI Adapter (DWL 520+ fro $89.00 for both, the only thing is that they are 802.11b not the later one. If you are looking for wireless maybee this might be suitable, they also had other bundle's there for around the same price...
The store isd in Aspley, Brisbane but other stores should have supplies..

regards tony
  Send a private message to this user    
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Cheap Wireless Bundle Sat, 09 April 2005 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Me and my bro have recently bought ourselves new computers and are looking to hook them up to the internet via one of these wireless thingos... I don't know anything about them... Are there good ones and ones to avoid or are most of them on the market on par with each other? How easy is it for people to sit outside my house and tap into my network? The reason I ask this is because my mate's laptop keeps detecting one of his neighbour's wireless router.
piggy
Regular

March 2005
Re: Cheap Wireless Bundle Sat, 09 April 2005 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
with your wireless internet and network the easiest way to stop people tapping into YOUR wireless internet is to set up passwords for EVERYTHING on your computer. also with the adsl modem some come with a cd-rom inside to help ypu set up your security for your network. i hope this info can help you out Smile

chris
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Cheap Wireless Bundle Sat, 09 April 2005 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
netgear is my pick of whats around atm. ive had nothing but issues with the dlink gear of late, all issues that i am not having with netgear.

keeping in mind half my job is installing wireless networking Razz

for home/small office the netgear DG834G is a nice modem.router.accesspoint all in one and has the SME connector so you can swap antennas if nessecary.

get the 802.11G gear. its a hint faster then the 802.11b (but not 5x faster as it is on paper) however its signal seems to be a biot punchier on the standard antennas.

at this point when the routers are still ~$50 more to goto the 108Mbps i wouldnt bother. go buy yourself a good case of beer instead they arnt that much faster so dont waste your money.

ever since i first started playing with wireless gear.. the same week i did my Dlink certification (what a waste of cash that was lol. oh well boss payed for it) ive been nothing but dissapointed with it. i guess its convenient but it seems to cause nothing but hassles.

the nice thing about 802.11G is its *just* fast enough to watch a dvd (from mounted ISO image) over the network assuming you get good signal.. something 802.11b just couldnt do.
mozrav
Regular

June 2003
Re: Cheap Wireless Bundle Sat, 09 April 2005 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got cable internet and run a Belkin wireless router to share internet access with the 3 computers we have. Never had any issues with the Belkin. I work as a tech support consultant for an ISP and we support D-Link modems...they aren't the best ones out there but they're okay. Better than some of the othercrap that's out there!
Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Cheap Wireless Bundle Sat, 09 April 2005 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Had plenty of problems with Dlink concerning their wireless gear. Changed over to Belkin and theyve been great. Using a Belkin 11G 125MB access point ($125) and Belkin 11G 125MB cards (PCI or PCMCIA, both $66).

Despite its claims, it manages about 4mb/sec with a good signal. A lot better than the 125kb/sec our old 11b dlink stuff did.
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Cheap Wireless Bundle Fri, 15 April 2005 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, I bought a wireless router for Dad's computer and a wireless network card for my PC to connect to it. I tried hooking it up and actually got my computer on the internet as well as my bro's laptop and Dad's computer all at once. The problem is that the next day it didn't work. None of the computers could connect to the internet. I don't know what happened but no matter what I tried it wouldn't connect.

My friend suggested that Optus detected that I was using multiple computers on the one internet connection, cracked the shits and shut down the connection.

I am online again now but I did it by disconnecting the router, hooking the modem direct to the PC and rebooting it. Our happy little network didn't last very long.

Is it possible to connect all 4 of our computers to the internet through the router without Optus cracking the shits? I don't want to have to set it up to use Dad's computer as a server because it therefore needs to be switched on all the time.
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Cheap Wireless Bundle Sat, 16 April 2005 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A six months ago I got the DLink DI-624 and the DWL-G650 (PCMCIA) and DWL-G520 (PCI) and 2x external antennas all for AUD$700. When I first got it the DI-624 was DOA as it kept on dropping out...

After getting the replacement router I pump the network up to 108Mbps the router drops out every few minutes Mad so I flashed the router and slowed it down to 54Mbps and the router is stable but I am annoyed as I can't run the network at 108Mbps...

I recommendation is don't get Dlink as I am still waiting for their response in what is going on with my router not able to run at 108Mbps Mad

Cheers.
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Cheap Wireless Bundle Sat, 16 April 2005 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well we got a Netgear router and a D-Link DWL-G520 for my PC. So far it's never dropped out (even though we've only had it set up for about 8 hours total)... I've downloaded stuff at 695kb/s through it so it's not slow.

I've hooked up the network again and will see if it was me or Optus that made it crash and refuse to connect to anything last time. We'll see.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Cheap Wireless Bundle Sat, 16 April 2005 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have 100baseT it never drops out and has funky blue wires Smile

i do have 2 wireless usb (WISE brand Razz )adaptors but found ad-hoc sucks and windows cracks the shits at it all the time also the cards dislike playing ball with windows seting the config

i have setup a few with netgear and found them fine
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Cheap Wireless Bundle Sat, 16 April 2005 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan,

Get a router/access point and you will see that the USB wireless thingys will not chuck a temper-tamtrum with Windows Razz

I used to run 100baseT around the house, but wasn't fun when running it through out the house...

Cheers.

[Updated on: Sat, 16 April 2005 04:59]

EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Cheap Wireless Bundle Sat, 16 April 2005 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Netgear = teh win.

anyone with half an A+ certification can hack into your wireless router and dl pr0n or whatever else...

cables are sooo cool Cool

Eldar.O.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Cheap Wireless Bundle Sat, 16 April 2005 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A+ is bullshit, most useless exam ever any twerp could study to know the different names for a firewire socket Razz i dought a A+ person could hack a dos prompt in windows 3.11 Razz
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Cheap Wireless Bundle Sat, 16 April 2005 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol - when i couldn't get the internet working the other day I went outside with the laptop and walked around until it detected a wireless network. I connected to it and used the neighbour's internet to check my emails. Too easy. The neighbours on one side have a wireless network too but it is password protected or something... it wants a code.
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Cheap Wireless Bundle Mon, 18 April 2005 06:56 Go to previous message
SIMDOG wrote on Sat, 16 April 2005 02:11

Well, I bought a wireless router for Dad's computer and a wireless network card for my PC to connect to it. I tried hooking it up and actually got my computer on the internet as well as my bro's laptop and Dad's computer all at once. The problem is that the next day it didn't work. None of the computers could connect to the internet. I don't know what happened but no matter what I tried it wouldn't connect.

My friend suggested that Optus detected that I was using multiple computers on the one internet connection, cracked the shits and shut down the connection.

I am online again now but I did it by disconnecting the router, hooking the modem direct to the PC and rebooting it. Our happy little network didn't last very long.

Is it possible to connect all 4 of our computers to the internet through the router without Optus cracking the shits? I don't want to have to set it up to use Dad's computer as a server because it therefore needs to be switched on all the time.

Optus would only see the router not the connections to it. I know this as I have up to 8 machines on the one connection (don't ask) and have never had a problem
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Photoshop teh massif dong - DO IT, here.
Next Topic:Its two wheel action you've gotta watch
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 13:26:22 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059010982513428 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.