Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 4age light knocking on start....help

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
retro
Occasional Poster

September 2003
4age light knocking on start....help Fri, 15 April 2005 10:30 Go to next message
I have a 92 GTI, when starting first thing in the morning, and until it comes to temp i have a very slight light knocking noise (not valve gear of injector noise), if i drive it b4 it is fully warmed it is a little louder on take off but ceases when you are rolling above 2000 rpm.

It is fine when the engine is warm, it is as smooth as silk and revs freely up to 5500 to 6000 rpm .

The oil pressure is on the horizontal line (cold and warm) at idle and at the first of the upper pressure indicator lines (10 to 11 oclock position) when at around 3000 to 3500 rpm.

When the engine is at operating temp and run for 20min if i stop and pop the bonet, then let it settle there is a very light knocking noise between 700 and 900 rpm, and if i blip the throttle it immediatly dissappears, and wont reappear until 20 seconds later and the revs and oil pressure have dropped to the horizontal line and stabialized.. To me it sounds like there is a bearing problem but it dissappeares when you increase revs, not get louder.
I use Penrite HPR40 which ia a 20W70 oil in an attempt to determine weather it was an oil pressure problem but it made little difference.

If anyone has any ideas please drop us a line, sorry for the long post but better to be specific and let you guru's decide where to go from here.

Cheers Retro

[Updated on: Fri, 15 April 2005 14:21]

Send a private message to this user    
retro
Occasional Poster

September 2003
Re: 4age light knocking on start....help Fri, 15 April 2005 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bumpo
retro
Occasional Poster

September 2003
Re: 4age light knocking on start....help Sat, 16 April 2005 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone?
retro
Occasional Poster

September 2003
Re: 4age light knocking on start....help Sat, 16 April 2005 10:04 Go to previous message
bumparama
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Clutch problems on an AE102r
Next Topic:MX73 and MA61 suspension
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 20 07:23:49 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057048797607422 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.