Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Mechanics Toolkit - Starting an apprenticeship - advise please

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Mechanics Toolkit - Starting an apprenticeship - advise please Sat, 16 April 2005 01:00 Go to next message
im going to be starting an apprenticeship next year and i was wondering what peoples advise on the best kinda toolkit to get.

snap on are very good and they have excelent warranty but they are also very very very expensive. im looking at spending 1500-2000 on my tool kit and plan to buy it before i start my apprenticeship. im pretty sure that'll get me alot of kingchrome stuff, and i already have a kinchrome socket set which has been very very reliable to me and i was swining more to that direction.

idealistically id love to have WST's 01 through to 99 but its not going to be possilbe to take that much stuff to work with me everyday!

thanks guys
  Send a private message to this user    
toyrota
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Mechanics Toolkit - Starting an apprenticeship - advise please Sat, 16 April 2005 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have heaps of Snap-On stuff but when starting out I wouldn't buy it ,go for something like the Kingchrome kits that give you a wide range,they have very good starter kits for the right $$$
Snap-On on the other hand $1500 would get you a screwdriver,shifter and a scraper Razz and with warranty be careful they don't cover like they tell you I broke a leaver the other week and they didn't cover it Mad I guess they have to see it brake showing the cuts on your hand don't prove that there wasn't a long bar on it.....Pricks
z|gen
Regular

June 2004
Re: Mechanics Toolkit - Starting an apprenticeship - advise please Sat, 16 April 2005 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im a second year auto electrician, and i have a toolkit of around $5000 - all snap-on, to be honest, its the best $5000 iv ever spent.
kingchrome is good brand, a few technicians i work with use kingchrome, as you'l only be a first year, start with the basics and work your way up, spanner set, socket set, linesman pliers, needle nose pliers, etc,
you dont need to be buying too much in your first year,, also, buy tools throughout the year depending on what you need, you dont need to go into it with every tool possible.
toyrota
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Mechanics Toolkit - Starting an apprenticeship - advise please Sat, 16 April 2005 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you might need a good pair of gloves,to look after your hands when sweeping the floor Razz .A lot of us started this way
Good luck with mate and remember it's worth it in the end
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Mechanics Toolkit - Starting an apprenticeship - advise please Sat, 16 April 2005 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd suggest Snap-On or Stahlwille for your sockets & spanners & then reliable but cost effective brands such as Stanley, Bahco & Nipex for your pliers & screwdrivers & the like.
Craftsman have some decent sockets & spanners for good prices, & I've also get some pretty nice Repco spanners.
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: Mechanics Toolkit - Starting an apprenticeship - advise please Sat, 16 April 2005 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Snap-on also have a brand called blue-point.They're alsmost as good,same warranty and are a very solid tool.Kingchrome again are good-pretty much all tools that cost a bit of money are going to be decent and have a warranty backing it up.

As far as which tools to get, you must, i repeat must, get a 3/8" drive and socket set.I started this year too and only have a 1/4" and a 1/2"-they're too small or too big. Side cutters and long nise pliers i've found are a very very handy thing, also a long pry bar and a set ofd good screw drivers which wont round the first time you use them.

You'll need a shit load of spanners too, both short and long, open ended and ring-if you wanna splurge i really indorse the ratchet ring spanners-they're so amazing for all of those hard to reach bolts that you have to spend hours on undoin 2 mm at a time.

Dont forget that you'll need a toolbox too-get a trolley coz you'll need to wheel it around-you probs might not even need a conventional yet.Just get a trolley with a flat top and upgrade later if you need it.Good luck with your apprenticeship mate

Stu
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Mechanics Toolkit - Starting an apprenticeship - advise please Sat, 16 April 2005 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a spare pair of undies and a towel for when you get your balls greased
wuzah?
Regular

October 2004
Re: Mechanics Toolkit - Starting an apprenticeship - advise please Sat, 16 April 2005 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i spent 2 grand on my tools, they are KC (not KC pro) and nothing has broken or snapped, and i abuse them everyday!! i got everything from a complete HEX set to impact sockets, dont konw if you can get the same kit anymore but they are cheap and realiable for what you need now
unforgiven
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Mechanics Toolkit - Starting an apprenticeship - advise please Sat, 16 April 2005 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whats better to use on cars, single or multi hex sockets?
Meat_rack
Regular

December 2004
Re: Mechanics Toolkit - Starting an apprenticeship - advise please Sat, 16 April 2005 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You always use Single hex when you can... I am an apprentice mechanic and i recommend repco it well priced and their spanners, ratchets all have a good feel about them... but kinkrome spanners i find are really weak as well as their sockets.

Repco = great
Kinkrome = poo

My 2 cents

Cheers
Andrew..
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: Mechanics Toolkit - Starting an apprenticeship - advise please Sat, 16 April 2005 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have repco spanners and sockets and give them a very hard time. I have never had any trouble with them at all in the 10 years I have had them.
Snap on are good but cost too much. The only thing I would spend the extra money on is snap on screw drivers.
You don't need a million dollar tool set to start with. Buy a reasonably priced set and use it for a while. Then see what tools you use the most and if you like upgrade them to better quality.

Good luck with the apprenticeship.

Brad
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Mechanics Toolkit - Starting an apprenticeship - advise please Sat, 16 April 2005 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a 1/2" drive Sidchrome socket set which has never let me down, as well as sets of Sidchrome open ended spanners and ring spanners. My extra sockets are all Supatool Gold. I've got a Kinchrome torque wrench. None of them have ever given me any grief, and I'm not the nicest person in the world with my tools. I also have a set of Stahwille ring spanners too...and they are on a whole other level Smile
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Mechanics Toolkit - Starting an apprenticeship - advise please Sat, 16 April 2005 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sidchrome, snap on, kingchrome, repco and to a less extent, supatool.

they all seem to have a general reputation of goodness....

of course, you get hwat ya pay for Razz

and if possible, get something NOT made in china, china = dodgy.

stanley make some decent screw drivers, knives, hammers/general tools...

Eldar.O.
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: Mechanics Toolkit - Starting an apprenticeship - advise please Sat, 16 April 2005 21:01 Go to previous message
Hi there mate-good to see a young bloke putting his money where his mouth is and going down the road to be a professional mechanic.

These days I'm an engineer, but I spent a year as an apprentice jet mechanic at Qantas in 1997 and picked up a good lot of tool advice and experience in that time.

What I've put down isn't some super tool expert guide, but just my ramblings about what I've picked up over the years-and it's by no means complete, but I reckon you'd have a decent kit to build onto for the future.

(anyone else reading this please correct anything I've got wrong or arse about-Sean)

When we commenced our apprenticeship (class of about 20) we had to buy a particular set of tools.
Bloody Strap-On of course...and it was big$$$$ of course.

The kit consisted of (if I remember correctly)

1/4 inch drive ratchet and socket set-plus a couple of extensions and a uni joint

3/8 inch drive ratchet, knuckle bar, speed brace and socket set
(fucken stupid imperial though-bloody american imperial fucken aeroplanes Mad -I don't own anything imperial!-on principle!)

(One thing to say about the Strap-on stuff is that it is very, very very good, but that also in a lot of areas it is better than it needs to be. Surface stress relieving is one thing, but you don't really need the shaft of a spanner so perfect tht you can see you face in it!! A lot of the time the finish is a bit overboard and the resulting high cost is largely due to making the tools pretty. Having said that though, the parts of the snap-on range I would highly recommend are the ratchets, knuckle bars, extensions, speed brace,uni joints and other tools with moving parts. The ratchets are nothing short of brilliant (you can always judge a tool set by feeling the mechanism in the ratchet), and the extensions are tough as as well. Buy Strap-on of the bits I mentioned above, but then only buy kingchrome, repco, supatool etc actual sockets.)

Engineers hammer (Strapon gold plated model)

Knipex (orange handles) side cutters, longnose pliers, standard pliers (they are a snap-on brand-don't skimp on these items, as you'll use them constantly)

Snap-on tape measure (yep-imperial-fucken useless thing-it doesn't even have imperial on one side and metric on the other
Don't get one of these stupid things!! Just a stanley one with a rubberised case is fine-it won't crack if (when....) you drop it.)

Open ended and ring spanner sets (ayup-imperial again-fucken Boeing, Pratt&Whitney and GE!!!!) Strapon ones are expensive, but one advantage they have is that they are just about the thinnest ones on the market-useful in tight spaces.

A good way to assess how good a set of spanners is (ignoring price) is to look at the outside of the ring and the thin edges of the shaft. If you can see grinding marks where the flashing from the casting/forging tool has been cleaned up with a grinder and if the ring seems thin and varys in thickness-stay well away. These are all stress raisers where the tool may fail-and possibly injure you in the process. Have a look at some snap-on ones (take pics even) and then compare the cheaper ones. Sidchrome and kingchrome are pretty good in comparison from what I've seen-but also about 1/2 the price

Good Earmuffs-and don't skimp on these either-even if your employer doesn't think they are needed-get them anyway and wear them often. Especially at quantas I saw more blokes with hearing damage than I could believe. I now take earmuffs with me to the drags and wear them prettmuch whenever I've got my helmet off. (I do look like a poof-but it means I'll be able to hear when I'm an old man.)

Coarse Valve grinding paste (A MUST-A GOD SEND!) This was one of the best tricks I learned there. If you have a phillips head screw that won't come out and the driver has started to turn and chew the screwdriver seat out, dip the tip in the paste and try again. The coarse grit bites in and stops the driver from spinning. I still use this trick twice a week at minimum. It's also good for sockets and dodgey bolt heads, or anything else you find is slipping. Fuck, this part of the kit may cost upwards of $5, but will save you amazing amounts of time and stress.

Feeler guages (imperial and metric)

Safety glasses, safety goggles, (for when you are on you back under a car and get that damn dirt shower when you hit a clod ofmud with the spanner), and a faceshield for when you are using a grinder. I got a metal filing from an angle grinder in my eye a couple of years ago and it was unbelievably painful-and I was lucky not to lose some sight in that eye-Be INFINITELY CAREFUL WITH YOUR EYES-no matter how much ribbing the other guys in the workshop give you!

Screwdriver set (strapon) A stanley one will do fine, and a good selection of mitre bits to go in your speed brace.

Other things I'd recommend-

Dick Smith digital 12V multimeter-just a basic one-good for checking continuity,resistance, voltage etc on jobs where it isn't complex enough to bother an auto sparky

A thread checking guages (looks like a feeler guage but the edges are all serrated differently so you can match them to the thread you have and read off what it is.

Mechanics gloves and Riggers gloves.
Kevlar gloves and forearm protectors for when you are working on hot engines (brilliant things-I only really started using them a couple of years ago-and they ROCK.

Barrier cream, your own (choose one better and probably more expensive one than the handcleaner they'll supply) and after-work moisturiser. (it sounds gay, but once you start swinging spanners EVERY DAY of EVERY WEEK you will notice the condition of your hands deteriorates extremely rapidly if you don't take care of them.
(And don't let any of the blokes in the workshop give you shit about it either. Just tell them that your missus doen't ever complain when you touch her with your hands-odds on is theirs don't let em at all with their hands. When I was at Qantas, I was told to say that by another bloke when the guys were teasing me about how much care I took of my hands-low and behold they all joined me within a week, and proceeded to rock up to work a whole lot happier most mornings!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy We also found that because the skin wasn't so dry and we didn't need abrasive cleaners that out hand were almost pain free most of the time.)

Vernier calipers-don't leave home without them! Have two sets-

One set a $10-$15 set of 'good' plastic ones with a dial guage. These are good for quick measurements and can be dragged about without worying about hurting them. They can be chucked in the toolbox, dropped etc without stressing and are great for stuff like pipe size measurement, bolt diameters etc that don't require ultimate accuracy.

The others should be a good set of steel ones from a reptable manufacturer. The digital ones are quite good (I've got some kinchrome ones, and the standard of finish is quite impressive-especially when they were only $120 or so) However, as you are starting out a good set of full manual scale ones is good so you get the method for reading manual ones burned into your brain before you get lazy and buy the digital ones later. The manual ones are also 1/2 to 1/3 the price of the digital ones.

30cm steel rule and smaller 120-150mm steel rule

Anyway,theres my overblown rundown based on my experiences. Remember, these tools will be your livelyhood so you don't want to skip in the critical areas-although don't just buy on image alone as sometimes it's overkill.

In summary-
Snapon (or Stahwillie-equally as good-and on a par for cost) for ratchets, knucklebars, ratchet screwdrivers, extensions,
uni joints etc (stuff with moving parts really).

Sockets from a 'lesser' brand as they are 50%cheaper but probably only 10% weaker.

Spend up for good pliers and maybe a set of multigrips and vicegrips (for when you get the shits with that rounded bolt head and just crunch onto it with the vicegrips.)

As somone mentioned before too, ratchet rings are the tool of the messiah. Strapon+stahwillie are the ducks guts for these things, but for the cost you expect them to actually be motorised and undo the bolt for you....Repco and other comparable brands are fine as you tend not to use them for high force jobs-usually to ratchet the bolt/nut off once it's been cracked with a spanneror socket. (I order you get some of these-they fucken kick ass royally!!)

Anyway mate, start bit by bit-you don't need to buy it all at once, and I know how tight a 1st year apprentice wage can make things. Buy something each pay and you build a killer arsenal in no time.

Take it easy Mate
Sean
Adelaide

PS

On another notemate-be aware that these days, the tradition of Apprentices being messed with by tradesmen for laughs is now HIGHLY ILLEGAL-ie, at Qantas the tradesmen decided to start a pitched battle with apprentices in the engine re-build section by pegging rolls of tape at them. The rolls used in that section could be up to 150 mm wide aluminium tape in 50-100M length. It was all funny until the apprentices were outnumbered 5 to 3 and cornered. In the final hail of tape rolls, one lad copped a ruptured kidney, and pissed blood for a month, whilst the others got concussion and required multiple stitches in their scalp. This was just one of a stream of incidents that occurred pre 1995 (one apprentice received seruious burns in a 'prank' and was in hospital for months!)

Make sure you stand up foryouself (if required), and get some advice from the apprenticeship board on how to handle anythingthat comes up.

DONT TAKE ANY SHIT!!!!!!

[Updated on: Sat, 16 April 2005 21:35]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3S RWD conversion
Next Topic:3sge Valve Cover Screws
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:27:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005652904510498 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.