AuthorTopic
wolverine
Regular

November 2004
Help on supercharging 18RG Tue, 05 April 2005 08:19 Go to next message
i have a twin solex carbie 18RG

i need to know what involves on supercgarging 18RG

parts need changing????
wat kind of supercharged i should get...........wat engine is it off????

any details that can help

places that can put it on for me?(victoria)

thanx

Send a private message to this user    
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Help on supercharging 18RG Tue, 05 April 2005 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
probly best to convert to EFI and likely an aftermarket programmable computer.....just because they will be a smoother engine(from what i have read)

depending on what pistons u have in it (comp ratio), if they are the 9.7:1 version you should get hold of a 8.3:1 or 8.7:1 to lower the compression.

the most suitable supercharger for this aplication would be the SC14.....it came off the 1G-GZE (2.0L, 6cyl). they are cheap and readily available (importers have them). they should do the job fine. they produce about 8/9psi.

best to do a search dude...i know there is stuff on this...i was looking into once myself

brett
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Help on supercharging 18RG Tue, 05 April 2005 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alk to bluewire from these forums, he has a SC'd RG in his show RA40
wolverine
Regular

November 2004
Re: Help on supercharging 18RG Sat, 09 April 2005 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so i have to find an EFI for 18RG then
is their other EFI system that can fit in it other than the one from 18RGUE
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Help on supercharging 18RG Sat, 09 April 2005 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wolverine wrote on Sat, 09 April 2005 16:56

so i have to find an EFI for 18RG then
is their other EFI system that can fit in it other than the one from 18RGUE

no - but as the EFI system on the 18RGUE was never designed with boost in mind you'll have to run it with an aftermarket ECU in place of a factory unit and upgrade the injectors (at the least) to something capable of supply enough fuel to suit the boost level that you want to run.

you could search for 'conversion' and/or 'engineers' here on the yellowpages and elsewhere - but as what you're proposing to do is custom work, expect the quote to be expensive... very expensive.
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Help on supercharging 18RG Sun, 10 April 2005 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if your after efi gear pm me.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Help on supercharging 18RG Sun, 10 April 2005 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It would be easier and cheaper to put your 18RG on the shelf and fit a 1G-GZE if you want a supercharged 2 litre motor. I know, I have done it.
wolverine
Regular

November 2004
Re: Help on supercharging 18RG Thu, 14 April 2005 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey man

u got my interest

tell me wat kind of modifications are involve to fit it in

anyone else in vic have done this to RA23?????????
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Help on supercharging 18RG Thu, 14 April 2005 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.toymods.org.au

then click the "articles" link on the left.

Then if you STILL have questions.... www.google.com.au
search for-> 1ggze site:forums.toymods.org.au
or something similar, just add the bold part after the words you are searching for and it will search these forums.

You should find just about every answer you want.
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Help on supercharging 18RG Fri, 15 April 2005 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pfft don't be so boring SC the 18RG Smile Solexes are one of the few carbies around that are built to take blow thru forced induction...Mikuni even sell a kit to make the minor mods required.

As it's blow thru you need a large bypass valve to actuate during closed throttle. Some dissy work will be required to set up some boost retard for ig timing. You also need a boost suitable FPR (low pressure) and that's about it. Some dyno time to make sure the jetting is working and you'll have a awesome torque monster for the street and something that's different enough to be way cool.

I was very close to a similar setup on a race built 2T but ended up with a GT4 GrpA before i got it all running. I still have a few of the bits left if you want to go this way. I have a SC12 which would do the job but a SC14 gives you more potential and you can run lower SC rpm. I also have the fuel reg you need, as new Malpassi low pressure (carbie suitable) boost variable ($50).

Even with the 9.7:1 comp ratio (if that's what you have) you'll get away with 10psi boost with a good IC. High comp is also great for throttle response. I say go for it Smile
Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Help on supercharging 18RG Fri, 15 April 2005 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sean (Bluewire) didn't build the engine, so I'm not sure how much he personally knows about it. It is putting out about 125 at the wheels on around 8PSI I think.
wolverine
Regular

November 2004
Re: Help on supercharging 18RG Fri, 15 April 2005 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wat kind of dizzy work exactly???

i already have an electronic dizzy

im really curious now about supercharging my solex

i ask b4 how to put the FPR coz i had one off a mr lancer
but then they told me i cant put it on carbie so i gave back to my friend Sad

wat ur saying sounds simple enough
but i dont know much about dis kind off stuff
somebody has to go though it with me
step by step
so if u have plenty of time would u mind
detailing evrything to me

and also how do i know the exact compression???
and you might have to sell me your PFR if i cant get my friends one back

where is SC14 of from???
are yours for sale???

cheers
joecoolmk2
Regular

June 2004
Re: Help on supercharging 18RG Fri, 15 April 2005 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just start your inlet setup from scratch. fuck buying standard stuff, make the ideal setup for the supercharger and computer?injector choices. it's very simple to make an inlet manifold out of steel/stainless. making it out of aluminium requires a bit more skill at welding. if you love your cars, you'll try it, and if you fail, you'll learn something at least, and that's important. of course, it's up to you and what you feel like doing, but if you do it yourself then you know how it's set up, so it's easier to diagnose problems if they arise.
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Help on supercharging 18RG Sat, 16 April 2005 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can some1 explain how supercgaring a 18rgu with twin solexs handle such a feat?

as in the fuel requirements etc... how do the carbs increase fuel under boost etc?

Cheers

Nathan

and would it be possible to run an on/off system. Ie switch the charger off for better fuel economy?
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Help on supercharging 18RG Sat, 16 April 2005 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
forced induction + petrol + carbs = disaster
forced induction + petrol + EFI = Teh win

[Updated on: Sat, 16 April 2005 05:35]

wolverine
Regular

November 2004
Re: Help on supercharging 18RG Sat, 16 April 2005 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Sat, 16 April 2005 15:32

lolz
boofis
Regular

December 2004
Re: Help on supercharging 18RG Sat, 16 April 2005 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Sat, 16 April 2005 15:32

Hey ever heard of a hot rod Razz ?Jokes!
Thanks
Troy
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Help on supercharging 18RG Sat, 16 April 2005 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and bounce the question back to a hot rodder... ever heard of reliability??
Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Help on supercharging 18RG Sat, 16 April 2005 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I saw an article on Cliff's RA28 in Queensland I think it was.
HKS turbo kit - blowthrough set up with water/air intercooler and twin sidedrafts (I think).

This was a standard HKS kit from the 70's/80's. I almost bought one of these kits from Japan. Was outbid, bugger, even came with unused HKS turbo forgies.

ToySport also did one of these, its called Yellow Munsta (RA20/21 I think).

So basically, blowthrough has been done.
Fuel deliver and mixture? Dynotuning exists for a reason (might be hard finding someone who knows about this type of set up though.

Ignition question:
Boost retard. Electronic ignition is great, but boost retard is kinda important.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Help on supercharging 18RG Sat, 16 April 2005 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EFI dosent go out of tune, starts when cold, runs when cold, starts when hot and has less parts to it.

PETROL CARBYS ARE THE DEVILS FUEL METERING DEVICE

http://www.darkhorizons.com/1998/waterboy/water09.jpg
boofis
Regular

December 2004
Re: Help on supercharging 18RG Sun, 17 April 2005 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Sat, 16 April 2005 19:03

and bounce the question back to a hot rodder... ever heard of reliability??

hahahhahaa. YOu win! lol! Laughing
Thanks
Troy
wolverine
Regular

November 2004
Re: Help on supercharging 18RG Mon, 18 April 2005 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so blowing a carbie is a no no?
boofis
Regular

December 2004
Re: Help on supercharging 18RG Mon, 18 April 2005 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't think its a no no, but I guess EFI is most suited from what I've gathered from this thread. Can't wait to see how this turns out! Go SC!
Thanks
Troy
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Help on supercharging 18RG Mon, 18 April 2005 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wolverine wrote on Mon, 18 April 2005 18:43

so blowing a carbie is a no no?

basicly yes!

find 18R-GE manifolds bolt them on with some biger injectors and get a mid range ecu like a Wolf3D v4 or haltech you will be MUCH MUCH happyer with the results!
You can also re-tune it with ease later on if you say go for a turbo to make more power and it will start and run like a new car without costing you even more of a shitload then fuel currently costs
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Help on supercharging 18RG Tue, 19 April 2005 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm if i have to run you thru every step then 1) we'll be here forever and 2) it suggests this is not a proj you should be undertaking....i'm all for guys learning as they go but this sounds just a tad too big a 1st proj for you.

The blow thru solex works a treat, those that say otherwise will no doubt have had the usual bad experience with some dodgy blow thru Holley setup but what we are talking about here is a different kettle of fish. Lotus use blow turbo solexes from factory and the HKS kit mentioned is a work of art...having seen how they go as well you wouldn't be sledging them as in a light RA23/28 (even a 40) they would most of the factory 2lt turbos around.

ANyways, a nice proj if you can finds the help to get it sorted but it needs some knowhow on your part. I can give you the basics but the devil is inthe details of actually fabricating, plumbing and tuning etc. Can't do that from a keyboard Smile
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Help on supercharging 18RG Tue, 19 April 2005 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but i could lob round to your place with a pallet off booze...
SRacin
Regular

March 2004

Re: Help on supercharging 18RG Tue, 19 April 2005 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im currently installing a supercharger on my 18rg rt40 corona. Got most bits sorted, running standard efi manifolds etc with 3tgte injectors to start with, a link computer, locked dizzy. Should do the trick. Using 4y crank pulley (4 rib) and running a 4 rib belt (s/c pulley is 5 rib) using the water pully off the the 4y and the 4y dizzy, just got to fab in a idler and im near business. Using the factory air con bracket as a template to mount the charger hi on the exhaust side(rt40's double a arm front suspension leaves no room to low mount it. undecided yet if to run a BOV and throttle after charger, or the correct wat and move the throttle beofre the chrage and use all the bypass crap. Hopeing for around 200rwhp and buckets of torque,

their is more uinfo on this site, and a good load of info on classic-celica.com where an some one in the states has s/c'd their twin sidey 18rg. search is your friend.

Logan
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Help on supercharging 18RG Tue, 19 April 2005 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not that i'm knocking back your offer of beer...hmmm beer, but SRacin has pointed you in some good directions. Do some reading and get your head around the proj, then come back with specific questions...or decide it needs to go to a shop
SRacin
Regular

March 2004

Re: Help on supercharging 18RG Tue, 19 April 2005 23:00 Go to previous message
I really shouldnt type when i very tired.

Couple of corrects.

Use the 4Y alternator (or swap pulleys) no need for the 4Y dizzy.

When I first started this project I searched around a fair bit and found some good info, but nothing specfic, but gained a good understanding of what needed to be done. Once you know excatly what you want to achieve, start planning how you wish to do it, ask specific question are they easily answered.

Cheers
Logan
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:VK Commodore
Next Topic:14" tyres - opinions please
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 08:23:34 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060420036315918 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.