Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 3S-GE into TA22 research (renamed thread)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Hodgie
Regular

February 2004
3S-GE into TA22 research (renamed thread) Sat, 01 January 2005 13:51 Go to next message
People, I have a dilemma. I want to do up my TA22 that I purchased as a project. The original plan was to build up a 2TG/3T hybrid and one day S/C it with EFI, MoTec, etc. The problem is that I read the 3S-GE thread on the forums and have worked out that it would be much more economical to go with the newer engine. I have probably answered my own question as to whether or not i should save up for the 3S-GE but in a way I feel like a traitor for abandoning the 2TG/3T idea. I know that this post probably sounds a little neurotic but I had to get it off my chest and thought that maybe fellow Toymodders could offer a few words of advice. Cheers.

[Updated on: Tue, 04 January 2005 02:24]

Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Scrap 2TG/3T idea and go with 3S-GE Beams? Sat, 01 January 2005 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The hybrid is the go. Stick with it.
Hodgie
Regular

February 2004
Re: Scrap 2TG/3T idea and go with 3S-GE Beams? (Please move to tech & conversions) Sun, 02 January 2005 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers for the advice mate. I think for the time being I'll do as much research as I can on the subject before starting either a hybrid engine build up or a search for a 3S-GE. Tempted to sway towards Gen 5 blacktop 3S-GE due to development history of the engine and the fact that emission regs are getting increasingly more stringent. Does anybody know of anywhere I could find engine weights and dimensions? Thanks once again for any advice on this matter.
Hodgie
Regular

February 2004
Re: Scrap 2TG/3T idea and go with 3S-GE Beams? (Please move to tech & conversions) Mon, 03 January 2005 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In case anybody is interested I've got some rough weights for comparison.

2TG - 145kg
4AGE - 122kg
3SGE - 137kg

Hope this might help somebody (took me ages to find that info).

[Updated on: Mon, 03 January 2005 13:56]

Hodgie
Regular

February 2004
3S-GE into TA22 research (renamed thread) (Please move to tech & conversions) Mon, 03 January 2005 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does anybody know the designation for the 6 speed transmission used in the Altezza RS200? I'm trying to find some info on how strong they are in comparison to a box like the W58.
Hodgie
Regular

February 2004
Re: 3S-GE into TA22 research (renamed thread) (Please move to tech & conversions) Mon, 03 January 2005 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I feel like a complete tool Embarassed . No longer than 5 minutes after the last post, I find a thread explaining not only the gearbox code(J160) but also a rundown on what the required mods are to install it.

[Updated on: Mon, 03 January 2005 13:55]

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 3S-GE into TA22 research (renamed thread) (Please move to tech & conversions) Tue, 04 January 2005 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm interesting thread here, I have a 3SGE at home I was considering putting into a 22 but was a little paranoid about how much custom stuff would be needed. I will be watching this thread! Wink
Hodgie
Regular

February 2004
Re: 3S-GE into TA22 research (renamed thread) (Please move to tech & conversions) Tue, 04 January 2005 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, after doing a bit of research on these forums (yes, I am now very familiar with the "search" function on the forum), I have come up with a fair bit more info. I'll put it here in case anybody else is trying to track down the same info. Sorry for not including names of those responsible for the posts from which the following extracts come, but if you know who you are I owe you much thanks.

- Here is a bit of info I'v been putting together , not finnished yet but it may help .

My conversion putting a 3SGTE into a TA22 Celica

Motor 3SGTE out of ST165 Celica
Gearbox W57
Bellhousing 2S from SA 63 Celica
Sump 2S
Oil Pickup 2S
Flywheel 2S
Clutch/presure plate 2S
Starter 2S
Alternator bracket 2S
Engine Mounts 2S/2T
Turbo ST165 Group A
Exhaust Manifold Custom
Inlet Menifold Custom
Computer Haltech E6S
Diff Hilux LSD
Intercooler ST185 Celica ( Air to Air )
Coils Direct Fire from 4AGZE
Cam Covers ST162 3SGE
Radiator TA22
Fuel Pump VL Turbo
Tail Shaft Custom
Fan Thermo
Exhaust 2 1/2" mandral

1/ Flywheel
The 3SGTE flywheel sits closer to the block than the rear wheel drive 2S which means the input shaft does not sit into the sprigot bearing , the throughout bearing near hangs off the guide tube and the clutch plate does not slide onto the input shaft spline far enough , also the ringgear has a larger diameter than the 2S so the starter would need to be moved outwards about 5mm .
The 2S flywheel has a 6 bolt pattern and the 3SGTE has a 8 bolt pattern , so what I did was redrilled the 2S flywheel to 8 bolt , to do this I tapped 4 of the holes with a 1/2 unf thread and pluged these with 1/2 unf allthread , 2 of the holes in the 2S flywheel already line up and another 2 can be clean drilled but the other 4 holes come half and half so pluging these made it posible to redrill .
I have been told the 3SGTE clutch , presure plate & flywheel can be used by getting about 5mm machined off the face of the bellhousing ( this 5mm machining does not fix the starter problem as the starter needs to be moved outwards from the crank ).

2/ Intake Manifold
The intake manifold sits to high and will not alow the bonnet to close , I cut the manifold about 90mm from the face and welded on a new plenum made out of 3" thick wall aluminium tube and fitted the throttle body at the front aiming down a little , I cut a hole between the radiator and headlight for the intercooler plumbing to connect to the throttle body .

3/ Exhaust Manifold
The original manifold cannot be used as the starter is in the way of the turbo and the turbo would also be sitting back to front .
I made a manifold out of 1 1/4" steam pipe and bends . I made the dump out of 15mm plate and 3" mandrel pipe , this 3" dump extends down to just under the car an than reduces to 2 1/2 mandrel for the rest of the exhaust system with a 3" straight through stainless muffler behind the diff .
I faced the compressor outlet down towards the bottom and made the plumbing to exit through the bottom of the radiator support panel where I had cut a hole and connect to the ST185 intercooler .

4/ Engine Mounts
The 2S mounts bolt onto the left side of the block but on the right side there is only two holes in the block so I bolted the mount onto these two holes and welded some brackets onto the rear side of the mount which extended towards the back of the block where there is another two holes . I drilled out the spot welds on the mounting plates on the crossmember so these mounting plates can be moved , I bolted the rubber mounts to the mounting plates then modified the 2S mounts as for the TA22 rubber mounts would bolt onto them , now with the mounts bolted up I positioned the motor to where it had to sit then rewelded the mounting plates back onto the crossmember , The correct position for the motor is about 85 to 90mm measured from the rear of the head to the firewall and with about 20mm clearance from the sump to the crossmember .

5/ Alternator
I used the alternator bracket off the 2S which sits on the r/h side under the intake , the 2S alt mount will need a bit grinded off the bottom to bolt on .

6/ Cooling system
I used the TA22 radiator but had to move the top spout to the left side then used a long hose to go to the rear of the motor where I had made a rear water outlet out of 1 1/4 " steam bends and pipe , this outlet consists of a 90 degree facing out to the left then 90 upwards and then another 90 to face the outlet forward at a hight to run the hose along the side of the cam cover , I brassed a couple of fittings into this outlet and fitted the temp gauge sender and the water temp sensor , I searched around and found a couple of hoses and a stainless joiner to make the bottom hose . Then fitted a thermo fan to the radiator .

7/ Ignition System
The original distributor can be used by just removing the cap and rotor button then cutting the rotor button shaft off level with the pickup rotor and making a short cover to fit back on , this will give enough clearance to the firewall , the cover must be made of a non magnetic material such as aluminium or plastic as not to upset the magnetic pickups . the distributor can now be used and configured with an aftermarket ECU to run direct fire system , I used two direct fire coils from a 4AGZE and two toyota igniters , I bolted a length of 1' RHS between the shocky towers and mounted the coils off this .

- with the 3SGE/GTE The FWD to RWD part shouldn't be that big a deal to scare you off, as long as you have access to sump, engine mounts and bellhousing from a ST142 (?) corona with a 2SC/E.

- the W55, W57 and W58 will mount to the TA22 Auto xmember using the W50 RA23 mount (you can use the factory W55 etc mount but ti has a locating plate on the bottom of it that either needs to be cut off or preferably cut a hole for it in the Auto xmember) Attaching the Xmember to the chassis may be an issue some say it bolts straight up others say it sits a tad to far back !

Once again, thank you to the people who provided the info shown above.

PS. Alot of the above info pertains to the 3S-GTE swap so if it is irrelevant to the 3S-GE swap, please tell me and I will remove it to prevent any confusion or misinformation. Cheers.
rokusan
Regular

September 2004
Re: 3S-GE into TA22 research (renamed thread) Tue, 04 January 2005 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
engine mount problem is fixed by using a GE block Smile
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 3S-GE into TA22 research (renamed thread) Tue, 04 January 2005 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rokusan wrote on Tue, 04 January 2005 16:53

engine mount problem is fixed by using a GE block Smile

Then you need to fix the squirter problem!
rokusan
Regular

September 2004
Re: 3S-GE into TA22 research (renamed thread) Tue, 04 January 2005 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
easy, the doovers are there, just have to tap tap tap! Smile how's you're monster going cool1, i'm still playing with mine
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 3S-GE into TA22 research (renamed thread) Tue, 04 January 2005 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just need to fit the radiator, plumb it, wire the engine and see if it starts.

[Updated on: Tue, 04 January 2005 10:44]

foxtail
Regular

January 2005
Re: 3S-GE into TA22 research (renamed thread) Wed, 05 January 2005 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seams series 1 GE has the mount stubs, but not all are drilled and tapped.
Series 2 have them drilled and tapped (Corona FWD at least)
My series 3 (4WD) had nothing but has squirters etc stock.

True the oil line is there, just drill and tap to put squirters into GE block.

Note, some 3SGE and 3SGTE have different sized cranks! That means different rear main seal and flywheel bolt spacing, fun finding that seal (genuine $80)

Pretty sure series 1 uses smaller flywheel bolts.

All series have different head porting and manifolds AND turbo / NA are different as well!!

Cant mix and match lote of stuff, even rocker covers.

Have fun, a ze is much cheaper to install but comes with crappy T box. Think I am up to $4k so far doing it myself
rokusan
Regular

September 2004
Re: 3S-GE into TA22 research (renamed thread) Wed, 05 January 2005 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've tried to keep everything on mine mr2/gen 2 so i hope not to run into many dramas, but i'll check the crank size tonite Confused hope it's ok or i'll cry Very Happy
Hodgie
Regular

February 2004
Re: 3S-GE into TA22 research (renamed thread) Wed, 12 January 2005 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry to bring up an oldish thread but I have decided to stick in a standard 2TG and then work on the rest of the car. When everything is finished I will then save up for a Gen 5 3S-GE.
Hodgie
Regular

February 2004
Re: 3S-GE into TA22 research (renamed thread) Sun, 03 April 2005 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After much searching I have finally found an RN25 hub to hub diff. Just managed to fit in the boot of my car after having to return the hire trailer that morning.
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 3S-GE into TA22 research (renamed thread) Sun, 03 April 2005 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe this might interest you:

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=64667&start=0&rid=3616&S=25a1cb08bf9 0c5cf75afe70375e0eac9
Hodgie
Regular

February 2004
Re: 3S-GE into TA22 research (renamed thread) Mon, 04 April 2005 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that mate. Not sure if any of that would be for sale still as that thread was posted three years ago. Going to save up for the Gen Five 3S-GE from the RS 200 as that already comes in RWD layout.

Cheers
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 3S-GE into TA22 research (renamed thread) Mon, 04 April 2005 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wtf is it 2008 alreayd? Rolling Eyes

Quote:

Sun, 03 April 2005 18:40

i dont understand wat u mean when u say gen 5 3sge too?? if ur talking about a BEAMS one from the altezza isnt that a gen 3? is there something im missing here.... please fill me in and also tell me wat the gen 4 and gen 5 3sge's are out of. RS200?? dont u mean is200? which is yes, the ADM lexus version of the altezza

p.s please excuse my dumbness but this is all news to me!

also wat engines r the 1s and 2s? are they in the st142 corona?

[Updated on: Mon, 04 April 2005 04:55]

Hodgie
Regular

February 2004
Re: 3S-GE into TA22 research (renamed thread) Mon, 04 April 2005 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gen 5 Beams 3SGE is out of the RS200 Altezza which is JDM only. Our ADM IS200 came out with the 1GFE. With regards to the Gen 3 and Gen 4 I think you should ask some of the MR2 fans as they probably have more of an idea than me.
Hodgie
Regular

February 2004
Re: 3S-GE into TA22 research (renamed thread) Mon, 04 April 2005 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Possibly ask some of the Celica people also.
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 3S-GE into TA22 research (renamed thread) Sat, 09 April 2005 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
back to the topic of this thread can we please have this confirmed as there is a bit of a mix up between 3SGE + 3SGTE info in here.

1) Are there any differences between a Gen I and Gen II 3SGE block?

2) Most suitable gearbox would be a W57 using a 2S bellhousing from a SA63?

3) With the engine mounts, do u mean ull be using 2T rubber mounts and 2S side engine mounts? does this make it bolt up the the standard crossmember?

4) Are there any issues with the cooling system in a 3SGE when converting to RWD similar to a 4AGE?

5) Is there the same flywheel issue as with the 3SGTE?
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: 3S-GE into TA22 research (renamed thread) Sat, 09 April 2005 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The big diff between the Gen 1 & Gen 2 3S-GE's are that the Gen 1's have TVIS & the Gen 2's don't. The Gen 3's are the nicests of the non-beams variety.

Then you move on to the Beams 3S-GE which is VVT-i on the redtop(Gen 4) and Dual VVT-i(Gen 5) on the Blacktop which winds up making 210ps N/A...nice.... Very Happy
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 3S-GE into TA22 research (renamed thread) Sun, 17 April 2005 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is there anyone out there who can answer these questions?????

also it appears as tho there might be a clearance issue with the distributor as it sits at the rear of the block unlike a 4age which is on the side.

anyone???
Hodgie
Regular

February 2004
Re: 3S-GE into TA22 research (renamed thread) Fri, 13 May 2005 10:36 Go to previous message
Sorry about some of the inconsistencies with regards to the info and the thread title. I was basically using the search function and trying to centralise some of the info I found in the hopes that others might find it useful. As mentioned in one of my above posts, some info was in relation to the 3S-GTE and as a result may not be correct for the 3S-GE conversion. Sorry for any confusion I may haved caused.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:big end bearing in No4 cylinder 4age (20v)
Next Topic:4AGTE GearBox Upgrade
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 07:56:39 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068759918212891 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.