Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Manual conversion questions, just a couple....

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Manual conversion questions, just a couple.... Fri, 15 April 2005 05:43 Go to next message
Howdy,

I got under the dash of my car today, more importantly the pedal area to finish off the manual conversion part of the 1JZ install, I was told there would be provision for a manual clutch pedal, whoever told me this was very very wrong, what puzzles me tho is that the brake pedal mount on the inside of the firewall (pedal area) has four bolts for its mounting braket and spring, I noticed that the area does not, either I am not looking hard enough or they arent there..

my questions are, do I need the brake pedal mounting box as well as the clutch one for a manual conversion? or will just the clutch one suffice?

if anyone has any pictures of thier manual pedal setup in a GZ20 or MA70 that would be awesome.

Also I am assuming that an MA70 clutch pedal box will be ok, is this right?

Cheers

Matt

p.s. the conversion is for a GZ20
  Send a private message to this user    
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Manual conversion questions, just a couple.... Fri, 15 April 2005 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bump anyone?

oh btw i did search Sad
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Manual conversion questions, just a couple.... Fri, 15 April 2005 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm thinking Smile Are you positive there is no provision for a clutch?
amon
Regular

September 2003
Re: Manual conversion questions, just a couple.... Fri, 15 April 2005 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey cobba,i have one here i will take a shot of and i will email it to you.
it has 3 bolts to affix two to the firewall and one above,the 2 facing the firewall shold have 2 recesses for the bolts tolodge in they would bethe size of a 10 cent piece approx 80 to 100 mm diagnalley apart.
i did take this big metal c/member out from under the dash but i cant remember if the pedal attached to it or not,maybe the top hole did?

anyhoo i hope this helps.Guy
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Manual conversion questions, just a couple.... Fri, 15 April 2005 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Fri, 15 April 2005 16:02

I'm thinking Smile Are you positive there is no provision for a clutch?

yeah nath, there is a big metal braket that surrounds the brake pedal with a spring and a small rubber boot around it, there is nothing like that for the clutch, do remeber seeing the top bolt for the braket on the clutch side tho, but not four bolts for the braket to bolt up to, only the one in the top centre.

amon i think that sounds familiar, if you could send me pictures of the pedal assembly that would be sooooooo awesome Smile

edit: btw my email is della@airnet.com.au

Cheers again Smile

[Updated on: Fri, 15 April 2005 07:05]

Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Manual conversion questions, just a couple.... Fri, 15 April 2005 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahhhhh, Mr1GGTE...

No provision for clutch ey?

Rex has just the thing for you. What you need to do is....

EAT SHIT!!!

Laughing

Rex and his red right hand.

[Updated on: Fri, 15 April 2005 07:14]

MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Manual conversion questions, just a couple.... Fri, 15 April 2005 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks rex, real helpful....youre lucky you gave me those measurements or our next meeting would encounter some kicking of your testicles...
damz
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: Manual conversion questions, just a couple.... Fri, 15 April 2005 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
regarding needing the brake pedal box:
I found it much easier to simply unbolt the pedal itself and switch it for a manual pedal (only one bolt - but requires heaps of force to remove) rather than 7+ bolts to change over the whole pedal box. This is on an MA61, bit how different could it be?

As an aside, I went to my local mechanic who does an occaisional service for me to simply remove my auto and install the manual gearbox and he said he wouldn't touch it. He's under the impression that its "changing the configuration of the car" and requires engineering.

Im calling bullshit on that because Supras had manual as standard from factory - auto was the option. Am i right?

Anyone in Sydney got experience dropping out auto's and putting in manual's plus the needed stands and working area want to help me do it? I will pay cash.
Preferably a working mechanic who can do it in the shop after hours?

Contact me via PM if interested.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Manual conversion questions, just a couple.... Fri, 15 April 2005 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah I have a brake pedal from a manual configuration, and I am simply going to put that in as changing the whole lot would be rather pointless, I was wondering if the standard auto brake pedal mount still has room for a clutch pedal mount as i have heard they are two separate items on a manual GZ20/MA70
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Manual conversion questions, just a couple.... Fri, 15 April 2005 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also there is no way you should have to engineer a manual conversion as long as you are using stock parts
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Manual conversion questions, just a couple.... Fri, 15 April 2005 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this maybe a stupid question but doesn't an auto brake sit over further then a manual one? which would mean the hole thing would have to move and thus requiring totaly different mounting points
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Manual conversion questions, just a couple.... Fri, 15 April 2005 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no the actual pedal is just smaller, I already have that, for it to move over then your brake master cylinder and booster would have to be in a different position, which it definitely is not Smile
overboostin007
Regular

June 2004
Re: Manual conversion questions, just a couple.... Fri, 15 April 2005 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey bro you need the whole pedal box on the clutch side. I did my pedals the other weekend and it was a little difficult. You push out the gromment in the firewall and push in you master cyclinder for the clutch and from underneath the dash you have your pedal box. Now slide onto the to bolts feed through the firewall from the master cyclinder and tighten up the nuts on either side. Now the one bolt at the top of the pedal box. to swap over the auto pedal take off the spring, take off the circlip on the pin push the pin out and put in the brake pedal and put pin in and so on. Hope this helps a little.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Manual conversion questions, just a couple.... Sat, 16 April 2005 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I get what youre saying there man, but do I need to change the box that surrounds the brake pedal or just the pedal?

If that Is the case I assume there is a pedal box for the clutch only, is this correct?
overboostin007
Regular

June 2004
Re: Manual conversion questions, just a couple.... Sat, 16 April 2005 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes mate that is correct. Pedal box for clutch only. You only need the pedal itself for the brake. Just remove spring and circlip and push pin out. You will see what i am on about when you get under the dash
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Manual conversion questions, just a couple.... Sat, 16 April 2005 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i was under the dash yesterday and noticed this, i just wanted to check before i went out and bought someting Smile

I think I might just shorten the brake pedal instead of changing it, simple hacksaw job me thinks Smile

Cheers for your help dude, it has given me the information I exactly wanted to know Smile
overboostin007
Regular

June 2004
Re: Manual conversion questions, just a couple.... Sat, 16 April 2005 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not a problem bro. Let me know how the project goes
Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
Re: Manual conversion questions, just a couple.... Sun, 17 April 2005 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overboostin is 100% correct...and about the break pedal there is a mark on it where ur supposed to cut it....just grab the grinder and hack it off...heaps less effort then changing it....

Adam
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Manual conversion questions, just a couple.... Sun, 17 April 2005 03:47 Go to previous message
nah ill use a hacksaw, i dont want to burn my carpet with a grinder, will be heaps easier with a grinder but ill keep it flame free Smile

just need a clutch pedal bracket now, does anyone have one?

PLEASE!!!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:help on Sr20det conversion into ae86 sprinter
Next Topic:TVIS warp on 4agte??? true or not??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 20:30:15 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068080425262451 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.