Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
GreyWolfe
Regular

January 2004

5ME Water pump/timing belt change Sat, 16 April 2005 16:36 Go to next message
Looking at getting a mate to help me with a timing belt and water pump change on the cressida. Now would anyone who's done this give me some tips? I have the proceedure for replacing the timing belt from a maintenance manual, but for the water pump is it just a matter of removing the belt, unbolting the old pump and putting a new one on? Any advice would be appreciated Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 5ME Water pump/timing belt change Sat, 16 April 2005 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
5m-e has a timeing chain not belt, its a MUCH larger job, i suggest you pick up a gregorys workshop book for it
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: 5ME Water pump/timing belt change Sat, 16 April 2005 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hope you didn't buy a timing belt, coz there is no use for it as it has Timing Chain as Allan told Very Happy

As for changing the water pump it's easy... (So I think)

Cheers.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5ME Water pump/timing belt change Sun, 17 April 2005 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah as the others have said, timing chain, not belt!

As for the water pump, the clutch fan bolts to the waterpump, and removing the fan requires you to remove the black fan shroud, which I generally find to be annoying. I'd suggest taking the whole radiator out personally to give you some extra room Smile

Cheers
Wilbo
GreyWolfe
Regular

January 2004

Re: 5ME Water pump/timing belt change Sun, 17 April 2005 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Since theres pretty much no room in there to work, plus the radiator needs to be replaced, I think i'll do it all at once.

Once I have the timing chain off, is there much work to get the waterpump out? Anything I should look out for when doing the chain?

Basically a mate who has done this before and has the tools has offered to help do this. Now since I dont feel like paying upwards of $700 to get all this done in a workshop, this is a very viable alternative for me.

[Updated on: Sun, 17 April 2005 05:43]

ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: 5ME Water pump/timing belt change Sun, 17 April 2005 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shocked

The water pump is ran by the thickish V-Belt and not the timing chain. The timing chain only comes out during an engine rebuild, follow the radiator bottom radiator hose and that goes to the water pump (anyone correct me if i am wrong). The radaitor fan that runs off the fan belt is connected to the water pump. basically remove the fan belts and power steering belt, unbolt the water pump housing and there you go, water pump removed...

Cheers.
GreyWolfe
Regular

January 2004

Re: 5ME Water pump/timing belt change Sun, 17 April 2005 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I guess what im saying that if i have everything off I might as well replace the timing chain, since its due in 18000klms anyway.

Thanks for the info dude, appareciate it.
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: 5ME Water pump/timing belt change Sun, 17 April 2005 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know if you can replace the timing chain, I got mine done when I had the whole engine rebuilt at 160,000kms (15,000kms ago). the timing chain is hidden inside the engine, when you pull off the rocker cover is the only way I can see you seeing the timing chain... I think they are only meant to be replaced when the engine is appart...

Cheers.
Viper_III
Regular

March 2005
Re: 5ME Water pump/timing belt change Sun, 17 April 2005 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah,

u can only get to the chain by ripping the engine apart.
i dont think they are meant to be changed... or not easily atleast.

remove the radiator. there isnt enough room to get the pump out otherwise, i just managed to squeezee mine out when i was ripping my car apart.

as was posted befour, there are 4 bolts which hold it on.. very easy to undo and remove.
if ya need some parts... i hav plenty Laughing
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 5ME Water pump/timing belt change Sun, 17 April 2005 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can't change the timing chain without removing the head - end of story.

unlike the 18R block where you can loosen the two bolts attaching it to the timing cover (dodgy way to do it as it weakend the head gasket and it never stop leaking oil), the 5ME has two studs and a cam guide to get in the way.

so... unless you're rebuilding a 5ME engine (which many here will discourage you from doing) i'd stick to the things that are actually broken.

my (and wilbo's) experience would suggest that the 5ME benefits very little from preventative maintenance - if he chain is noisy, see if the tensioner can be wound up a bit more.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5ME Water pump/timing belt change Sun, 17 April 2005 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm, I suspect the chain can actually be done in car (I may well be wrong tho!) Charles (thechuckster) has been doing more to 5M-E's recently than me recently tho! Evil or Very Mad....it would be a massive shit of a job tho!

if you drop the front timing cover off (which would require the sump coming off I'm pretty sure, not a fun in car job Razz, otherwise I don't like your chances of sealing the bottom of the timing cover when you goto put it back on!)...then if you take the cam gear off and the tensioner out, the chain should be able to taken out...bear in mind that the parts are not really cheap either! The timing chain guides aren't cheap, nor is the chain, also there is an idler gear (plastic!!!!) that when I bought it 4yrs ago was around $100 by itself!

I'd be keen in following charles path Wink if its a 5M-E and its running, leave it. Razz

Cheers
Wilbo
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 5ME Water pump/timing belt change Sun, 17 April 2005 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can do it in car without removeing the sump and head BUT its highly recomended not to bother
TheStitt
Forums Junkie

Membership Secretary

June 2002

Re: 5ME Water pump/timing belt change Mon, 18 April 2005 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

My 4m's having been running with upwrads of 270 000 miles on them and I have had no issues with little maintenance. Just change the water pump it its leaking or not working, change the belt if its not running the alternator properly.

If the alternator is charging and the car runs I wouldn't touch a thing. Save your coin do a engine transplant and do some preventative maintanence on that motor.

You could do a timing change in the car but it would be a bitch of a job,

earlier 2M timing chain tensioners are metal and don't where anything like the plastic 4M/5M ones. Just a thought if you do pull it apart and find no teeth on the tensioner like i did once.

Just my 2c. thats after playnig with 2Ms and 4MS in MS5X's and 5ME's in 112's and now 7M powered MSx's
GreyWolfe
Regular

January 2004

Re: 5ME Water pump/timing belt change Mon, 18 April 2005 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you guys, I appreciate it. Hopefully i'll get the water pump and radiator done this weekend without much issue Smile I personally dont want a SECOND care have a screwed head that boils off radiator fluid like steam from a kettle.
GreyWolfe
Regular

January 2004

Re: 5ME Water pump/timing belt change Sat, 23 April 2005 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, after eight rather interesting hours, job is done. All I can say is that changing the water pump in this car is the most convoluted, pain in the ass job you could want. You have to unbolt half the ancillaries to get to it since they are all bolted on top of the water pump...gawd! Freaking bolts in hard to reach places...we both half no knuckle skin left.

But...replacement radiator in, new pump in. No leaks under load testing, will let it sit till tomorrow so the silicon cures properly.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 5ME Water pump/timing belt change Sat, 23 April 2005 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
water pump is easy, t/chain or fuel filter are hard
GreyWolfe
Regular

January 2004

Re: 5ME Water pump/timing belt change Sat, 23 April 2005 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I fail to see how this could have been 'easy'. Maybe the ancillaries are bolted on differently in supras ect. The problem was the water pump had the bracket that held the power steering and egr pump bolted on top of it, thus they had to be both removed. Which was a bitch.

But anyway, done now -shrugs-
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: 5ME Water pump/timing belt change Sat, 23 April 2005 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I couldn't see why you just couldn't replace the propeller/cog and not the whole housing, I just replaced the moving parts and still have the original water pump housing that came with the car still on the car Very Happy

But I do agree with Allan, the Timing Chain and Fuel Pump are too hard... is there another way to mount the fuel filter?

Cheers.
GreyWolfe
Regular

January 2004

Re: 5ME Water pump/timing belt change Mon, 25 April 2005 09:19 Go to previous message
If the pump was leaking from the seal between it and the block then replacing the moving parts would be pointless I would think...

If the timing chain or fuel pump go I think i'll just replace the engine with something else. To much labour costs involved.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:18R-C Engine Emissions Controls
Next Topic:Weight and its Distribution in the KE70 and AE71
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 16 23:23:30 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060031414031982 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.