Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
triggboy
Regular

January 2004
w5x into ke10 Sat, 16 April 2005 11:28 Go to next message
hi all

i have a w5x to 4age bellhousing on the way and my current t-50 is about to give in, so its time to start spending money on a new box Very Happy ...just like to find out a few things before i go ahead

firstly, i know the w5x's come in a range of shifter positions from 14" to 21", but i'm not sure what the sprinter t50 is in inches...i have heard that some w5x's have the same position as t5o's, but don't know which one it is? i'd rather not cut another hole in my tranny tunnel if i can avoid it...does anyone know which box will have the same shifter and what cars they came out in?

second, i'm fairly sure the w5x won't fit in the ke10's tunnel without help...can it just be massaged or will it need cutting? has anyone done this before? this was originally an auto tunnel if that makes much difference..

lastly is there anything else i should be thinking about for this swap like will i need to shorten the driveshaft etc etc?

any help greatly appreciated Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: w5x into ke10 Sat, 16 April 2005 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
triggboy wrote on Sat, 16 April 2005 19:28

hi all

i have a w5x to 4age bellhousing on the way and my current t-50 is about to give in, so its time to start spending money on a new box Very Happy ...just like to find out a few things before i go ahead

firstly, i know the w5x's come in a range of shifter positions from 14" to 21", but i'm not sure what the sprinter t50 is in inches...i have heard that some w5x's have the same position as t5o's, but don't know which one it is? i'd rather not cut another hole in my tranny tunnel if i can avoid it...does anyone know which box will have the same shifter and what cars they came out in?

second, i'm fairly sure the w5x won't fit in the ke10's tunnel without help...can it just be massaged or will it need cutting? has anyone done this before? this was originally an auto tunnel if that makes much difference..

lastly is there anything else i should be thinking about for this swap like will i need to shorten the driveshaft etc etc?

any help greatly appreciated Smile

Have some fun with a hammer.

and im pretty sure youll need a custom shaft.

Eldar.O.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: w5x into ke10 Sun, 17 April 2005 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i recently took pics comparing the auto and manual tunnels... they aint too big Sad

i think you wil likely need to cut the tunnel and expand it a bit, but if you can get the dimensions of the W box, i can measure it against the tunnels i cut out.

Cya, Stewart
triggboy
Regular

January 2004
Re: w5x into ke10 Sun, 17 April 2005 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that would be great if you could measure it up Smile
the only dimensions i could find for the box online were from a jaguar site Confused using a dellow bellhousing...
overall length with housing : 710
length of bellhousing : 180
vehicle centre to RH face of box : 100
vehicle centre to LH face of box : 93
which would give a length of about 530 and width of 193 for the gearbox...and i'm assuming their measurements were in mm

i think i'll have to take some more thorough measurements when i get my hands on a box for future reference...

thanks again
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: w5x into ke10 Sun, 17 April 2005 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what i would need would be a rough sketch with the size and position of the bellhousing, and then the dimensions of the main part of the box, both height and width, and also position of the shifter mechanism relative to the rest of the box.

unless someone wants to bring a W box to me and i slap the tunnel over it? that _would_ be the best way....

i might do that with my T boxes too... see how they sit..

Cya, Stewart
earlyrolla
Regular

May 2003
Re: w5x into ke10 Sun, 17 April 2005 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quite a lot of bashing, sorry panelling would be required. It would much neater to either make another tunnel or weld in a tunnel from another car.

You have to remember the W55/7/8 are a LOT broader than the T50's.

By all means measure it first and have a look.
triggboy
Regular

January 2004
Re: w5x into ke10 Sun, 17 April 2005 13:41 Go to previous message
hmmm, i'd really need to have a box here to get some better measurements...unless someone else has measured their's before? anyone?
there shouldn't be any clearance issues with the bellhousing/front of the gearbox due to the firewll mods performed by a previous owner...welding in a new tunnel would probly be neater and easier in the long run, but i can't weld & don't know anyone who can...
perhaps i should just get myself the box and see how i go...

...i'd just prefer to learn from other people's mistakes instead of my own
Very Happy

i'll be sure to get pics etc up when i do get it in
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:carb cfm to engine matching?
Next Topic:brakes are not working
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 16:42:53 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0045671463012695 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.