Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Purchasing 3T-GTE and Not started in 2 years, Please help!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
NAJJE
Occasional Poster

September 2003
Purchasing 3T-GTE and Not started in 2 years, Please help! Sun, 17 April 2005 09:56 Go to next message
All,

I am picking up a a complete 3T-GTEU in a TA22 that has been sitting in a blokes engine bay for 2 years not started since he wrote the car off. (lost the rear into a parked car)

It was runnin 15 pound boost with stock internals/turbo but intercooled with programmable haltech and blow off valve..

My question is: I will possibly remove the head preferablt not, but will replace all gaskets , rocker cover, sump and inlet exhaust etc but wanna know if interals would have been impacted after sitting so long uncranked. Its still got oil and water has been flushed so hoping its not too bad. Will the piston rings valve stem seals and all other components including turbo be stuffed from sitting around so long?

Any info would be great!

Regards

Rob
  Send a private message to this user    
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Purchasing 3T-GTE and Not started in 2 years, Please help! Sun, 17 April 2005 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey mate dont take what I say as gospel but the advice i was given is that it should be ok. Im in the same boat, having the engine rebuilt 3 years ago and havent started it since.I was told to pour the oil in through the head turn it over manually as best as you can and then just crank it over..Im hoping this advice is true Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Purchasing 3T-GTE and Not started in 2 years, Please help! Sun, 17 April 2005 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was in a similar situation, my 1G hadn't been started in god knows how long. I was told a few things. In the end, I cranked it sans ECU to get oil pumping around, then plugged it back in. The longer it ran the more freed up it got.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Purchasing 3T-GTE and Not started in 2 years, Please help! Sun, 17 April 2005 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just check that the water pump and oil pump still turn easily and then just whack it in and monitor your water temp and oil pressure.
You might want to consider running some coolant flush through the system once its in the car... or take out the thermostat and give it a reverse flush.
NAJJE
Occasional Poster

September 2003
Re: Purchasing 3T-GTE and Not started in 2 years, Please help! Mon, 18 April 2005 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So there basically wont need to be any work done with pistons / rings etc or any other components?

I am gonna do all the maintenence stuff and ensure there new filters and everything, just hoping from sitting round that long, wont need to strip the block down to inspect.

Cheers for the replies
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Purchasing 3T-GTE and Not started in 2 years, Please help! Mon, 18 April 2005 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just check that there isn't any water corrosion... look at the thermostat housing to see.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Purchasing 3T-GTE and Not started in 2 years, Please help! Mon, 18 April 2005 02:36 Go to previous message
if you're worried about dry bearings and/or rings stuck to the bores, can i suggest that before running the engine (e.g. fuel & spark) you:
-drain the crankcase of oil/fluids
-re-fill it with about 8-10 litres of diesel fuel (yes, diesel) so the crank is partly in the fluid
-attach a cheap oil filter
-take rocker-cover off and coat cam/rocker gear with same
-squirt machine oil or other fine & light oil into the bores via the plug holes
-with a spanner, rotate the engine via the crank pulley to get oil on all the bores and around the crank bearings adn other wearing surfaces
-using the starter motor, crank the engine until you have oil constant oil pressure (easiest to attch a guage to the sender port

once the battery is flat or you feel confident that there's oil thru-out the motor, dump the diesel and re-fill with proper engine oil and replace the cheapo oil filter with a genuine article.

if you feel brave, you could even run the engine for a few minutes using diesel as lubricant - the detergents in that fuel will do a great job of removing gunk from the oil galleries and bearing faces.

now that i think about, there's probably an old thread on this topic as i remember some discussion about whether running the engin on diesel was safe or not.

Also - do similar thing with the cooling system as the first run/warmup will dislodge large amounts of corrosion/powdery gunk which will pollute the radiator and coolant.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:HELP: Engine Hesitating + cutting out etc.... 1JZ
Next Topic:ST162 - Clunky noises while driving/accelerating?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 05:46:46 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0069119930267334 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.