Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
1JZ auto, manual shifting Sun, 17 April 2005 10:04 Go to next message
Engine and gearbox that went into my MX73 are from a JZX90 I think. When we wired up the gearbox we were having all sorts of problems as some might rememeber lol, I even resorted to thinking of putting a Volvo gearbox on Shocked
The 3 wires on the gearbox that we didn't know their purpose, we later found out from fours and more that they were just for ABS so we didn't need to hook them up. Whats happened though is that I need to manually shift the gearbox everytime.If I put it into drive and try to drive off from standing start, it has bugger all power Confused
Can anyone tell me what those 3 wires on the 1JZ auto gearbox actually do, does one of them control shift points or something?
The car in general feels a bit sluggish aswell, like if I shift out of 1st too early 2nd gear just feels really laggy and doesnt rev no where near as hard as 1st (Low).

Any ideas?
  Send a private message to this user    
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Sun, 17 April 2005 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What you've done, is remove the gear indicators from the ECU...

They NEED to be plugged in so the ECU knows what gear the lever is positioned in...
You will have 1st, 3rd and 4th IIRC...

Tell me the wire colours and I should be able to tell you the points to plug them into on the ECU
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Sun, 17 April 2005 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

the gear indicator wires on the 1j are for when u put it in 2nd it starts in 2nd
when u put it in first it starts in 1st

if they are wrong when u put it in 1st it might be in 2nd so it will be sluggish

but yr main prob are the speed sensors

toyota ecus need speed sensors for the auto to change gears automatically

whats happenin is when u put it in drive the gbox is in drive so therefore u r basically startin in 3rd gear

but ive told u i can fix it
so its up to u
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Sun, 17 April 2005 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you could that would be great

heres a link to find the mudmap of the transmision wires:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/ 619000-619999/619534_7_full.jpg

Exactly, thats what it feels like. Feels like theres no 2nd gear and heaps sluggish if I change too early out of 1st.

Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Mon, 18 April 2005 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woofa347 wrote on Sun, 17 April 2005 20:04

If I put it into drive and try to drive off from standing start, it has bugger all power Confused

Change the auto oil ASAP you have just burnt the shit out of your 4th gear clutchs should be ok if you didnt try it tooo much but your oil will be VERY brown

Allan
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Mon, 18 April 2005 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the gbox might be selecting 1st then goto 3rd if its not controlled by the ecu

it meants its in limp mode
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Mon, 18 April 2005 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If the 3 gearbox solenoids in the transmission are not hooked up at all the box will only shift 1-3-4 when you shift 1,2,D on the shifter.

At the moment your box cannot select 2nd gear at all, and will not unless you hook the solenoids up to the ECU or a manual sjft box.

Do not drive the car hard as when the box shift from 1st into 3rd you will fuck the clutches pretty quick.

Do not drive off in 2nd or D as you are pulling away in 3rd and OD-not good!

Cheers
Sean
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Mon, 18 April 2005 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MS-75 wrote on Mon, 18 April 2005 16:20

If the 3 gearbox solenoids in the transmission are not hooked up at all the box will only shift 1-3-4 when you shift 1,2,D on the shifter.

At the moment your box cannot select 2nd gear at all, and will not unless you hook the solenoids up to the ECU or a manual sjft box.

Do not drive the car hard as when the box shift from 1st into 3rd you will fuck the clutches pretty quick.

Do not drive off in 2nd or D as you are pulling away in 3rd and OD-not good!

Cheers
Sean

3 Solenoids? Fark... Last time I looked there was only 2... Confused (For gears that is)

The problem is, the ECU doesn't know what range the selector is in, and hence has shut all power to the gearbox off...

What are the wire colours if you want help?
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Mon, 18 April 2005 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I still can't work out what the colour wires are that you don't have connected even after looking at your diagram...
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Mon, 18 April 2005 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hope I havnt damaged the box too much, I've only ever been driving off in first because theres no power at all if I tried to drive off in Drive.
Sorry but what type of oil does the 1JZ auto use again, Toyota Type-4? My mechanic just put in any ol transmission oil, I think it was type D or something Sad But I have started to notice a few clumps of thick brown oil on the driveway, so Im driving my other car till I know what oil to order from Toyota, then I'll change it ASAP.

The wire colours are red/blue, red, and yellow/black. We were told these were for ABS so left them unwired up to anything.

Originally I ordered a shift kit from MV auto's, but the wire colours were different on that aswell, and we couldnt see how that could have possibly controlled the gearbox Confused
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Mon, 18 April 2005 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So you have a "special" box from MV Autos that is meant to SHIFT the gearbox?

Did it have a wiring diagram or anything to tell you what each wire was?

Have you wired up any of the other wires for the gearbox... By god I hope so... Confused
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Mon, 18 April 2005 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh no, originally I ordered the shift box but we never installed it at all. Its just a stock 1JZ auto.
The shift box did come with a wiring diagram, but none of the colours on the diagram matched with what the wirs on the box were suppose to be for Confused

Yep everything else on the gearbox is wired up, I've been driving the car around for the past month. Just want to get this shifting problem sorted before it does anymore damage to the box.

All the shift box from MV auto's was suppose to do was take control of auto shifting away from the ECU and instead wiring the gearbox wires to the shift box, but we couldnt see how it was going to control shift anyway
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Mon, 18 April 2005 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh and the flyer wire isnt hooked up at all if that makes any difference. The flyer wire coming off the wiring loom and the one off the ECU are TOTALLY different. We were stuffed around so much by the place (will remain un-named) we got the engine off Mad
Its a miracle that the car is even running anywhere near it is now. From what I can tell, engine is from a JZX90, loom from a Soarer, and ECU from JZX81 chaser perhaps. I've been told a few times from people that I woud never be able to get this car running with what we were forced to use. Sad
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Mon, 18 April 2005 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So the speed sensor might be wired up wrong, or are there more underlying problems aswell as that?

[Updated on: Mon, 18 April 2005 09:33]

Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Mon, 18 April 2005 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That little auto box controller that you didn't wire in, and couldn't work out HOW it would shift the box... Just wire it in...
It will take the "readings" from the lever, VSS, and RPM and brake light, and give signal outputs to the gearbox to control shift solenoids and the force motor...
My best hint would be to wire it in...

The JZX81 Soarer IIRC runs an external gearbox controller, whilst the JZX80 Soarer runs an internal one...

So what you have done, is wire in a gearbox, to an ECU, that the ECU doesn't know what the f'uck to do with...

I'd wire that Auto box controller in...
Wire colours dont HAVE to line up... You just have to join them...
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Mon, 18 April 2005 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll have to order the shift box again because MV's told us to send that one back because it wasnt suited to the gearbox. What had happened was, the wiring diagram they supplied us with didnt match the actual wires on the shift box, so we didnt have a clue where to wire them upto lol. Sorry I didnt explain it well, trying to keep my long winded posts as short as possible haha
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Mon, 18 April 2005 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another thing I was thinking of, if I wire in the shift box, would that allow me to use a Power FC later? as the ECU wouldnt be controlling the gearbox directly, if that makes sense? I dont know how to word it properly
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Mon, 18 April 2005 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woofa347 wrote on Mon, 18 April 2005 19:40

Another thing I was thinking of, if I wire in the shift box, would that allow me to use a Power FC later? as the ECU wouldnt be controlling the gearbox directly, if that makes sense? I dont know how to word it properly

It would enable you to f'uck the whole ECU off all togethor...

Hence why I'm trying to create a "cheap" box to do what the MV auto one is doing... But mine will be tunable and have a "manual" feature etc etc on it...

Am I able to ask how much the MV auto controller box is costing you at all? PM me if you want
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Mon, 18 April 2005 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know the Power FC is a standalone unit, but I didnt think they were able to be used on auto's unless it is the JZX100, whereas with MV's shift box it allows you to use it, either that or I will go with a haltech, not a big problem if I cant use a Power FC.

How much longer til you will have your shift kit in the testing stage? Smile I'd love to try one out for you, but I sort of need to get this transmission sorted out ASAP. Sad

I don't think people will mind me saying the cost of the shift kit, I think it cost me roughly $200 posted.
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Mon, 18 April 2005 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Two Hundred Dollars? WHAT! I can't even get my materials in that cheap... Far out! Shocked

My unit won't be in testing for a while, as my PM says...
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Mon, 18 April 2005 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep they wern't as much as I first thought they would be when I ordered it, but from the limited knowledge I have of it lol, there not very sophisticated at all, and just allow you to take control of the gearbox away from the ECU, no bells and whistles, just gets the job done Smile
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Mon, 18 April 2005 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats insane!! from your PM, the only way I could see them costing that much, was if it was a true trip-tronic shift box that can be adapted to any auto gearbox Confused
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Mon, 18 April 2005 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Theres a few wiz bang whistles in the one I mentioned...

The one I'm making will be sold around the $1200 range or there abouts once fully let out... Cheaper when still in testing...

Buying my parts will be a bit over the $200 mark...

But with mine, and the other expensive one, it's like an ECU, you can actually program where it shifts (At what Throttle position and speed it shifts into what gear).
Plus I will be putting in a feature of "manual", where, whatever position the lever is in, the gear box takes that gear...

Building at the moment to run the toyota box and holden 4 speed...
Plus a few other little things like setting up a read out for what position the lever is in etc etc...
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Mon, 18 April 2005 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds good Very Happy All the best for it

SO anyone know how I can fix my trans problem without resorting to using the shift box, or should I just get the shift box and be done with it?
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Mon, 18 April 2005 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the gear shift positions have noithing ot do with the automatic shifting of the gears

it only tells the ecu what gear the gboxc is in

all auto toyotas will not change gears properly without the proper speed sensors goin to the ecu

it is purely the speed sensors

theres 2 speed sensors

the gbox has 2 solenoids a and b

if u have a soarer wiring loom it wont plug into the chaser ecu

do u have a soarer engine with a chaser loom and ecu

what r the plugs on the ecu 4 plugs each has 2 rows of pins?

if u have a soarer gbox then its a pain

the soarer gboxc has diff sensors to the chaser for speed

another thing is on some gboxes the abs sensor signal goes to the abs ecu then gets divided and goes to the engine or auto ecu to give it the proper speed signal

my 1uz has 2 spoeed signals

one comes from the abs sensor
the other comes from the speedo

both these are needed so as i dont get any errors

but only one is needed so the ecu can change gears automatically

the flier lead on the 1j is for the torque converter rotational sensor

it should be hooked up

basically u have an input speed senosr

an output speed sensor

2 soleniods for the gears

1 soleniod for lockup torque converter

and one for overdrive

[Updated on: Mon, 18 April 2005 13:18]

woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Mon, 18 April 2005 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep its the 4 plug with 2 pin rows...
It has been a pain, so would it just be easier to install the shift box?
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Mon, 18 April 2005 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh ok yeh, we dont have the abs wires hooked up at all so Im guessing the second sensor must be on that, Im sure we've wired up the first speed sensor up properly.

cheers for the detailed answers,I'll keep hunting for wiring diagrams , and if we can slowly suss out what wires from the flyer leads we can join, hopefully find it
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Mon, 18 April 2005 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if u can find the speedo signal that comes from the back of the speedo and went to the original ecu

this should goto the sp1 wire on the 1j

this might cure yr prob

its the backup speed signal for the box

the abs is the main signal i think

but u can get away with it not being there

but the 1j has alot of wires that control the auto

power economy button

over drive button

2 speed sensors each diff signals

gear lever position signal

torque converter speed

output shaft speed

and the soarer gboxes are slightly different to the chaser gboxes

if u cant find the wire i have a device which will bolt to the gbox and give the right amount of pulses

just needs power and earth then the signal wire can be connected to the sp1 wire on the ecu

sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Mon, 18 April 2005 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
double check that u r gettin a pulse to the sp1 wire on the ecu

normally u only need it to run

i have done afew cressidas and have had probs with speedo sensor signals clashing

by removing the abs senosr the thing started to change gears

i dont know y but it was on a chaser

maybe the abs signal is much greater that what the cressida abs signal was givin it

not sure as ive only come across it once

every other time with a soarer 1j i have never had any probs

woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Mon, 18 April 2005 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh I've already installed a tacho booster to amplify the pulses going to the tacho if that what you mean?
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Mon, 18 April 2005 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nope not the tacho

u need a speedo signal pulse to the ecu or it wont change gears
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Mon, 18 April 2005 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi mate.

Now-to explain a couple of things about the box you have and the shift box from MV.

The shift box converts the Auto to a full manual set-up.

ie-it does not make to box self shift AT ALL. It allows you to run the normally computer controlled toyota box as a full manually shifted unit.

(Once you have it hooked up the trans is fully stand alone unit from the ECU and you can change to a Wolf, Autronic etc engine ECU.)

In the box there are 3 solenoids. Only solenoids 1 and 2 control the gear position, and number 3 solenoid activates the converter lock up.

The wires for the shift and lockup solenoids come out of the box on the RHS.

There should also be a bundle of wires from the neutral start switch, as well as a speed sensor lot coming from the extension housing (only two there)

There should also be a mechanical cable coming out of the box (line pressure cable) that connects to the throttle bracket on the throttle body. This controls line pressure-ie increases it as you put your foot down for harder shifts.

HOWEVER, as you have a JZ box, you will probably have an extra two wires. This is because the JZ trans does not have the line pressure cable like the M series trans. It uses 2 extra solenoids. One for accumulator pressure and one for line pressure.

To control the line pressure electronically you really need to get the ECU to trans connection working (I've no real experience with that bit-sounds like Sideshow knows what he's doing there), otherwise change to mechanical line pressure box (A340 from a 7M vehicle or similar-and maybe that Volvo box-it's the same as an A340) and use the manual shift box.

Don't get too panicked-you'll get it sorted.

Sean
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Tue, 19 April 2005 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MS-75 wrote on Tue, 19 April 2005 09:53

It uses 2 extra solenoids. One for accumulator pressure and one for line pressure.

To control the line pressure electronically you really need to get the ECU to trans connection working

does anyone know what kind of signal is being sent is it pulse width modulated to get the required pressure or just hi/low pressure switching? and what affects will altering the accumulator pressure have over line pressure?
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Tue, 19 April 2005 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sideshow wrote on Mon, 18 April 2005 23:09

the gear shift positions have noithing ot do with the automatic shifting of the gears

it only tells the ecu what gear the gboxc is in

By golly f'uck you do need those signal inputs...
It lets the ECU know if you have it in drive or in 2nd or in low and HOW to operate...
The ECU has MANY MANY parameters that change depending on the signal coming in from the Gear Shift lever...
There is generally 3 wires connected to what they call the nuetral start switch... It tells the ECU where the lever is, and then the ECU determines WHAT and HOW it controls the gearbox... When those signals all go dead... The ECU goes "WTF!" and turns all power to the box OFF as it thinks the box just shit itself...

Hence, the auto shifting will not happen if the range selector is not plugged in...

As for the wiring diagram... The one I had on my computer has gone missing... Wierd... And I don't know where I got it from, the other one I have printed doesn't have the cable colours on it... Sad
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Tue, 19 April 2005 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Tue, 19 April 2005 10:37

MS-75 wrote on Tue, 19 April 2005 09:53

It uses 2 extra solenoids. One for accumulator pressure and one for line pressure.

To control the line pressure electronically you really need to get the ECU to trans connection working

does anyone know what kind of signal is being sent is it pulse width modulated to get the required pressure or just hi/low pressure switching? and what affects will altering the accumulator pressure have over line pressure?
PWM solenoid for line pressure, from memory it's at 50hz also...
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Tue, 19 April 2005 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers heaps for all the info guys!!
I'll pass this stuff onto my mechanic because Im not totally sure what he has and hasnt wired up, hes a car god but he hasn't worked with 1JZ's before.
From memory he wired up the speed sensor easily and neutral switch is all done. Only thing is theres no wires going from ECU to the gearbox that are wired up, except for speed sensor I guess, and theres no wires at all going into the wiring loom or ECU flyer wires.
I dont think its cutting over to OD either, because when I took it onto the highway it would just keep revving while I had it in third then when I took my foot off at about 120km's an hour, it would sit on about 3000rpm, thats not normal is it? Confused lol
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Tue, 19 April 2005 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So even after I have the shift box installed, I'll have to get those 2 line-pressure wires hooked up aswell.

What do I have to do again to get that working sideshow?
I'll check to see how the speedo signals were wired up
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Tue, 19 April 2005 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I remember him thinking those 2 wires on the gearbox in the diagram I drew, were for the OD? The blue and yellow wires. But im guessing theres still soemthing important that needs to be wired up to the ECU through the flyer wire
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Tue, 19 April 2005 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If he hasn't connected the force motor or shift solenoids up, then the gearbox won't know when to shift... It isn't being told anything atall...
Wire those up and should be sweet
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Tue, 19 April 2005 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u can have the shift position signals goin to the ecu

but if u dont have speed signals it will not change from 1st to 2nd to 3rd when its in drive

the shift positions might be ok when u want to manually shift it using the t bar

plus anyway the 1j has only 2 gear positions one is l for low
and s for second

i have done shit loads of 1js and have shotloads of info

the prob he is experiencing is the speed signals

but i guess kyosho knows what he is talkin bout

anyway im over this post
ive told u i can fix it

u decide what to do
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Wed, 20 April 2005 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats the problem, I know what wires we need hooked up now, but we've got no idea where they have to go? Confused lol Sorry but im not the machanically minded one, just trying to get the right info to pass onto the mechanic and he will know where to wire those solenoids upto.

I've found out what parts were using, its a long story but were using a JZX90 engine and gearbox (ordered as package with ecu and everything, but the wiring loom arrived with smashed plugs so we sent it back but they returned us with a completely different ECU Mad )
The original ECU was a 4 pin row one (JKZ90?), but we now have the 4 plug 2 pin row ECU from the JZX81 Chaser. Not entirely sure what the loom is from because a few of the engine plugs were totally different, so alot of the plugs have been swapped. Really is amazing that its running in the first place seeing as its a mix and match setup Confused
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Wed, 20 April 2005 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well the 4 pin 2 row is a chaser

it has different speed sensors on the gbox

compared to the soarer 4 pin 4 row ecu

so it mean u r tryin to run a soarer engien and gbox with a chaser gbox loom?

the chaser has a digital output speed sensor
the soarer has an inductive signal for the speed sensor

which part of the chaser 4 pin 2 row loom are u using
just the gbox section?

u have to try find the loom to match the soarer or atleast get the right plugs and make the chaser loom match the soarer

the chaser has an abs sensor which evenually sends a signal to the gbox

the soarer has a output shaft revolution sensor which sends signal straight to the ecu

anyway its not a 5 or 10 minute fix

good luck with it

it would prob take me half a day to a day to get it all runnin perfect
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Thu, 21 April 2005 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im prett sure were using a JZX90 engine and gearbox because its front sump and it has the second TRC butterfly on it. The ECU is from a JZX81 I think, and the wiring loom is from a Soarer or god knows what haha.

Oh so I would be able to send the loom to you or something so you could have a look at it? I was thinking of sending the loom to someone to get it done but sisn't know if it would be too hard seeing as they wouldnt be able to see what were working with (plugs etc.)

woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Sun, 24 April 2005 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What do I have to do to get it running like factory sideshow? You have PM

Or would a place like sixworks be able to modify the loom if I sent it to them? I really need to get my car running properly as its my daily driver.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Mon, 25 April 2005 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sideshow has an auto electricians business also and many would recommend him including myself.

And the moral of the story is:

BUY A FRONTCUT!

Razz
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Mon, 25 April 2005 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahaha yeh a frontcut would have been handy, but at the time in my ignorance lol, i decided to get the engine package because I didn't want to wait 4 months for one Sad Conversions ended up taking about 11 months.It would have been clear sailing if the guys we got the engine off didn't stuff us around with broken plugs and different wiring looms Mad

I've tried Pming sideshow, but I dont think hes interested anymore, I can understand though, this whole post has probably given him the sh*ts Razz
He knows what hes talking about though, and I would glady let him work it out

woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Tue, 03 May 2005 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've found a pinout of a JZX81 flyer wire and theres two connections for Speed-Sensor Over-drive lockup, Im guessing two of the solenoids are wired upto these but not sure which ones? Can anyone help please? Sad
Really need to get my car on the road again
Meat_rack
Regular

December 2004
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Tue, 03 May 2005 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you put a pic or just sumerise all your question as im completly lost on your question i may be able to help.

Cheers Andrew.
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Tue, 03 May 2005 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh sorry bout that it is getting a bit messy, was thinking of just starting a new thread now I know what has to be done.

Im using a JZX81 ECU and loom on a JZX90 engine and gearbox going into an MX73 Cressida.

Im having problems with the auto trans only manually shifting because theres 3 wires on the tran that havnt been hooked up at all.Also, no wires have been hooked upto the flyer wire on the ECU at all. From the info that I've got, these 3 wires operate the solenoids that tell the ECU when to shift the trans, and that these 3 wires connect to the ECU flyer wire.

On sixworks website I found a JZX81 pinout of the ECU and flyer wire. On the flyer wire theres 2 pins for the Speed Sensor Over-drive lockup, and the rest are for Traction Control and Sub THrottle.

Heres a link to the mudmap of my transmission:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/ 619000-619999/619534_7_full.jpg

These 3 wires are really causing some trouble
Meat_rack
Regular

December 2004
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Tue, 03 May 2005 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm i think you have the wrong harness buddy. If not that one of the components is wrong.

(dont quote me on this but)I think they are you manual shif solinoids and on the earlier modle boxes they didnt have them or they had one less or something.

I seriously thing one of your parts are wrong though.

Cheers Andrew
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Tue, 03 May 2005 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh I know its the wrong harness for the engine, we got sc*wered around something shocking with who we got the package from Sad
Just seeing if there was anyway to at least wire it up like it is because I dont like my chances of finding another loom that will match the ECU and trans like it was meant to from factory.
I wuld have thought that with just 3 wires left I could get it to work somehow, I dont really want to wire up a standalone ECU just for 3 wires Confused

A few plugs had to be changed on the engine because they just didn't match up Sad If only they hadnt smashed the ECU plugs on the original loom, I wouldnt be having this trouble in the first place Mad

End of rant..
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Tue, 03 May 2005 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thought they smashed the gbox plugs

fuk if it was the ecu loom then they would prob be easy to get 2nd hand plugs

and if u have a chaser gobx and u r running a soarer loom and ecu it might be a hassle to get it back working properly without some devices which are expensive

chaser has 32 teeth with digital signal on back
soarer has 4 teeth with analog signal on the back

this is the main speed sensor on back of gbox that goes to the
ecu not to the speedometer

[Updated on: Tue, 03 May 2005 22:39]

Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Wed, 04 May 2005 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
51 posts going around in circles...

I think you should go the trimatic Laughing
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Wed, 04 May 2005 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The gearbox plugs are fine it was the ECU and some of the engine plugs that were smashed. For warranty reasons they didn't send us the ECU at first until we were ready to start the car, but we sent the loom back and in return they sent us a 1JZ loom with an ECU that matched that loom, but some of the plugs on it didnt match the engine and trans plugs.
All the engine wiring is done, and the main speed sensor on the gearbox is hooked up and working (tacho booster is installed, and the right amount of pulses are going to ECU).
All that is left is that bunch of 3 wires that we dont know where they go to on the ECU/flyer wire.
Im pretty sure we are using a JZX81 Chaser loom and ECU.

The car has been running fine for the month that I was driving it around testing it, all be it except for the auto trans manually shiting.

So yeh, all thats left is that bunch of 3 wires on the gearbox, and Im hoping all I have to do is wire them upto the ECU and all will be good, but I've got no idea where on the ECU they have to go Confused Thats the problem

The trimatic is a distinct possibility Razz Just anything to get it working properly without fear of damaging the gearbox haha. Having to catch the bus to work everyday is giving me the sh*ts lol.
..J..
Regular

June 2004
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Wed, 04 May 2005 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i can just imagine this mechanic. 11 months and it still aint going.

bet his name is cledus....

dont be a cheap skate. pay sideshow to come fix it or we will be putting up with your posts for another 11 months.

really, some people should stick to driving hyundai's
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Wed, 04 May 2005 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Youll have to pay sideshow extra to get him to go to Whyalla Laughing
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Wed, 04 May 2005 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha yeh Razz Seriously, posting the loom and everything to him is no problem if need be, but getting it to auto shift isn't high priority right now just need it to shift into the right gears, so I might just call MV's and get a shift controller IF that will make it shift properly.
Just thought that someone would be able to tell me where 3 wires went Confused thats something I've learnt from my car is that nothing is ever that simple lol

And ...J... your imagination is as sharp as your eye-sight, I've mentioned more than twice that the car has been running, all that is left to do is get it to shift properly. Im not being a cheap skate, I just couldn't justify pulling the engine out and sending the loom off just for the sake of connecting 3 wires

sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ auto, manual shifting Wed, 04 May 2005 12:22 Go to previous message
the gbox has 2 wire that contrrol the shiofts

do u know which wires these are

if not then how u goin to wire up the m v shift kit

it will prob be trial and error

then there is the lock up soleniod this should work off the overdirve

anyway i dont want you to send me the looms it might turn to shit

i think its better for you to come up to sydney for a weekend

i dont want to have to send the loom back and forth too many times then u get the shits with me

if u wanbt the car done rpoperly drive up to sydney

im sorry if i sound abit harsh but i keep tellin u i can fix yr car properly

and u still are tryin to find other ways to bypass the problem u have

even if i had yr car with me i would have to go a look at both types of 1js so i can chase up which wire at the gbox does soleniod a and b

and which does the lock up

just remember u have a different loom to what the engine and gbox is

so u wiring diagrams arent as important as the actual position of the wires on the box

and im pretty sure u have the wrong speedo/abs sensor on the back of the gbox to suit the ecu that u have fitted

this means u might need a converter to go from a 3 wire digital to a 2 wire analog signal
if there is such a thing
then u have to get the pulses right
these converters are around 300 dollars

digital sensors have 32 teeth
analog sensors have 4 teeth

anyway if u intent to bring car up to sydney let me know
ill go and do some research if i get some spare time over the next year

unless i go to the usa and never come back Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 04 May 2005 12:23]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:differences in CT20b