Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » How do you replace a welsh plug?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

How do you replace a welsh plug? Thu, 06 January 2005 11:33 Go to next message
Is there an easy way to replace a welsh plug? Everywhere I've looked on the net seems to just say "replace the welsh plugs" and the engine manual mentions nothing about it.
Also, I'd very much like to leave the engine sealed when doing this.

I was thinking of sticking something through the welsh plug and then pulling the welsh plug out from the outside, but I'm worried about debri ending up inside the engine.

The engine in question is a 3sgte with unknown history, but seems in good nick. I have already replaced the front and rear main and I'm starting to put everything back together at the moment. I'm pretty sure I should replace the welsh plugs but I'm always keen to listen to people in the know to tell me otherwise.

Thanks in advance,
Dave
  Send a private message to this user    
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How do you replace a welsh plug? Thu, 06 January 2005 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hit the very top of the welch plug with a screwdriver and hammer such that you push/rotate it into the water gallery of the block. at the same time the bottom of the welch plug will rotate out of the hole. be careful, and dont bash the top of the plug to violently, and accidentally knock the whole thing into a water gallery.

once rotated, get some multigrips onto the outwards rotated part, and pull the sucker out
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: How do you replace a welsh plug? Thu, 06 January 2005 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You, my friend, are a champion. Exactly the answer I wanted to hear!
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: How do you replace a welsh plug? Thu, 06 January 2005 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
please don't score, nick or gouge the block.
sometimes the cyl is right behind the plug & there isn't enough room for it to rotate. even if it does go inside, they'll still come right out as long as you can get a grip on it.
good luck, you'll get it out.
Starfire
Regular

December 2004
Re: How do you replace a welsh plug? Thu, 06 January 2005 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Careful that you dont put the new ones in too far - they can block water passeges.

I would reccomend that you pick up a book on engine reconditioning (you can get magazine type books about it quite cheaply).

Even if you cant find one for a modern turbo engine you could always grab one for a chev V8 or something - most of the principals are the same (the clearances however may not be but they should be in the workshop manual for the engine or you could find them online).

If you are going to the trouble of replacing the welch plugs you might want to consider a freshen up of the engine:

Get the block cleaned and inspected
Align hone the bores
Hone the main journals
Linish the crank
Replace the main bearings
Get some decent (ARP) rod bolts
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: How do you replace a welsh plug? Thu, 06 January 2005 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed got the removal bit pretty much spot on!
To install the new ones find a socket which will fit just inside the welshy and use the socket to tap the new welsh plug into place.
barned01
Regular

September 2003
Re: How do you replace a welsh plug? Sun, 17 April 2005 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah dragging up an old one...
when ed mentions hitting the top of the plug with a screwdriver, does it mean to hit the lip of the welsh plug or at the top of the depressed part of the plug (if you know what i mean).
also when putting the plugs back in, is it ok to just use the plug as an interference fit to the block or should some sort of sealant be used just for good measure?
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: How do you replace a welsh plug? Sun, 17 April 2005 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i used a hardening sealant when i last replaced some welsh plug. Stag or something i think it was.
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: How do you replace a welsh plug? Sun, 17 April 2005 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
use metal epoxy or araldyte when you install the plug again
Gazza53
Regular

August 2004
Re: How do you replace a welsh plug? Sun, 17 April 2005 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Super Jamie wrote on Sun, 17 April 2005 20:15

use metal epoxy or araldyte when you install the plug again

and use brass plugs if you can get them, should never have to replace them again
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: How do you replace a welsh plug? Sun, 17 April 2005 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you're using welsch plugs in a high performance application and you keep popping them for some reason, there exist welsch plugs with a thread on them, and you have the block/head/whatever modified to take the thread and you wind the plug in to press fit, which hopefully holds it in better. you can also weld a plug in if it's likely to blow (common trick for the back of K motor bigport heads, which have a welsch plug)
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: How do you replace a welsh plug? Sun, 17 April 2005 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wait for the day you see someone has installed one backwards... I was most impressed looks like thay filed the edges to a taper!

and yes brass ones look grouse in a freshly painted block when thay are polished up Smile
barned01
Regular

September 2003
Re: How do you replace a welsh plug? Sun, 17 April 2005 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about the method to get them out though?
where do i hit the welsh plug from to minimise damage to the block?
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: How do you replace a welsh plug? Sun, 17 April 2005 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stag is the stuff to put them in with.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How do you replace a welsh plug? Sun, 17 April 2005 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
barned01 wrote on Sun, 17 April 2005 22:20

what about the method to get them out though?
where do i hit the welsh plug from to minimise damage to the block?

not on the lip, just in the middle bit, at the top

edit - installed properly they shouldnt require any bonding agent whatsoever

[Updated on: Sun, 17 April 2005 12:56]

V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: How do you replace a welsh plug? Sun, 17 April 2005 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you wont damage the block at all. hit the welsch plug on the outskirts of the actual plug, not the lip, not the centre. A cold chisel is preferable if you have one. (the larger surface area wont punch through the copper - a good thing!) Of the dozens of welsch plugs ive done, this has always worked a treat Smile

best of luck
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: How do you replace a welsh plug? Sun, 17 April 2005 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stag is the stuff. Good for any sealing of the type. Good thing is if you do gouge it (don't gouge it!) it fills small areas. Ed, never installed them without it. Araldite would be attrocious if you had to remove them again.
barned01
Regular

September 2003
Re: How do you replace a welsh plug? Sun, 17 April 2005 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers guys i will give it a shot on tuesdee and see how i go.
now this stag:
other than turning up all lonely like to the automotive store by myself, would i be finding it at said store. ie. sprint, superuseless, autopro, repco etc.
or i could always go to the alps and look for one there.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: How do you replace a welsh plug? Sun, 17 April 2005 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
repco stock it. $15 a big tube
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: How do you replace a welsh plug? Sun, 17 April 2005 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get it on your fingers and it's a bitch, unless it dries. Then it's a bastard. Have some metho (i think) to clean up.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: How do you replace a welsh plug? Sun, 17 April 2005 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok guys what the hell is a welsh plug , Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused

lolllll

and what is its purpose in an engine
cheers
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: How do you replace a welsh plug? Sun, 17 April 2005 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Welsh plug = Expansion plug = Freeze plug

http://www.racetep.com/carpics/3sgtelb.jpg
The brass coloured things (one per cyl) shown on the right hand 3 cyls of this engine.
RobertoX
Regular

May 2002
Re: How do you replace a welsh plug? Sun, 17 April 2005 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They plug up big holes in the side of the engine block, sealing the water gallery. They are a large flat metal plug, about the size of a 20 - 50c peice. If you look on the side of your block you will see some circles, they are the plugs.

The reason there are holes there to plug up is due to the casting process of the block I believe, in order to create a cavity inside the block they use a filler when they cast it. Its located to, and supported by the outside of the die through where the holes are made. I dont know if there is any other purpose...

EDIT: Toobs beat me

[Updated on: Sun, 17 April 2005 23:46]

indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: How do you replace a welsh plug? Sun, 17 April 2005 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SO WHAT EXACTLY DO THESE THING DO IN THE ENGINE . do they help in easier cleaning of the internals ??????? no idea Confused Confused Confused

but i know now that ive seen these before, but never knew what they were lollllll

thanks for the pic toobs

cheers
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: How do you replace a welsh plug? Sun, 17 April 2005 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lollll and u beat me to my reply

so its actually part of the casting proscess cool

i was thinking it had sometyhing to do with cleaning the insides of the engines without ripping the engine into bits when i seen the pictiure lolllll
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: How do you replace a welsh plug? Sun, 17 April 2005 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is some sort of sealant necessary, or just a precaution.
I've got that sunken feeling in my guts at the moment.
I replaced all 8 welsh plugs and didn't use any sealant Sad
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: How do you replace a welsh plug? Mon, 18 April 2005 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You shouldn't need sealant when changing your welsh plugs.
Maybe a little hylomar spray if you want to be extra careful.

Although they are most commonly referred to as "welsh plugs" in Australia the name Freeze / Expansion plug makes more sense as that is why they are there... to minimise the major damage that would be caused when your coolant freezes.
If your coolant freezes the little buggers just pop right out... then you can defrost your engine and just pop them back in again.

davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: How do you replace a welsh plug? Mon, 18 April 2005 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
phew, that's a relief!

I've done enough of the hokey pokey with my engine over the last couple of months, really didn't want to have to pull it out again.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How do you replace a welsh plug? Mon, 18 April 2005 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
davedave wrote on Mon, 18 April 2005 09:50

Is some sort of sealant necessary, or just a precaution.
I've got that sunken feeling in my guts at the moment.
I replaced all 8 welsh plugs and didn't use any sealant Sad

ed_ma61 wrote on Sun, 17 April 2005 22:56

installed properly they shouldnt require any bonding agent whatsoever

davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: How do you replace a welsh plug? Mon, 18 April 2005 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We'll soon know how expert my socket tapping welsh plug skills are Smiley =, hopefully get the little fella started this weekend.

Is it wrong to cry over leaking welsh plugs? Laughing
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: How do you replace a welsh plug? Mon, 18 April 2005 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the main things to take note of are:
1. Make sure you don't damage the plug hole when you are bashing the plugs out.
2. Make sure the plug hole isn't damaged... if it is you may have to hone it out.
3. Make that you install the plug straight.
4. Make sure you don't push the plug into the water gallery.
barned01
Regular

September 2003
Re: How do you replace a welsh plug? Mon, 18 April 2005 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
davedave wrote on Mon, 18 April 2005 10:55

Is it wrong to cry over leaking welsh plugs? Laughing

No it isn't wrong especially if it is the rear plug and you have put it all back together including gearbox and put it back in the car. one of the more horrible feelings out there.
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: How do you replace a welsh plug? Mon, 18 April 2005 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also called "core plug", and is the most accurate description.

i don't think any were ever purposely designed for freeze protection in automotive use.
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How do you replace a welsh plug? Thu, 18 August 2005 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just a tip for idiots like me, i used a socket that was a snug fit into the plug, and here were the results:

http://gb.detonated.org/gallery/albums/AE82-BHG/P0003257_001.sized.jpg

I managed to get the socket out luckily Laughing
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: How do you replace a welsh plug? Thu, 18 August 2005 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha looks like something id do
cri_ag
Regular

August 2002
Re: How do you replace a welsh plug? Thu, 18 August 2005 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was always told that they were nesesary for when the block is made to facilitate the casting process?

[Updated on: Thu, 18 August 2005 12:06]

BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: How do you replace a welsh plug? Thu, 18 August 2005 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Welsh plugs have also a use in Europe and countries that have sub zero temperature as I believe...if the coolant freezes in the block, instead of cracking the cast iron block due to expansion the welsh plug will pop out first due to lower resistance of force...
Hirogen
Forums Junkie

July 2002
      WTF is a jabber?
Re: How do you replace a welsh plug? Thu, 18 August 2005 18:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Mon, 18 April 2005 10:22

Although they are most commonly referred to as "welsh plugs" in Australia the name Freeze / Expansion plug makes more sense as that is why they are there... to minimise the major damage that would be caused when your coolant freezes.
If your coolant freezes the little buggers just pop right out... then you can defrost your engine and just pop them back in again.

Jezza
Regular

June 2002
Re: How do you replace a welsh plug? Thu, 18 August 2005 23:49 Go to previous message
u can also stick a welsch plug in the freezer before u try to tap it into the block, which hopefully makes the process a little easier on bashing with a big f#@$ing hammer Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Water Injection - COMMERCIAL ADVERTISING. Locked, editted.
Next Topic:gearbox question
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 18:52:16 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.011155128479004 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.