Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Mon, 18 April 2005 04:26 Go to next message
It's disturbing, I bought mine about a year ago and they were selling for 13 and 14k. Now I'm seeing them for 9 and 10k and redbook lists them at under 10k value. That is quite a steep descent for what I thought was a very popular car.

Anyone have any ideas on why they are so cheap now?
  Send a private message to this user    
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Mon, 18 April 2005 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
conspiracy Rolling Eyes

what else do u expect from a depreciating asset?
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Mon, 18 April 2005 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Good point and well made, but the value has depreciated particularly quickly in the last 12 months. They hadnt depreciated all that much in the last 5 years until now.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Mon, 18 April 2005 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Anyone have any ideas on why they are so cheap now?

Word on the street is that most of the later model celicas have been depreciating quite rapidly over the past 12 months due to a downturn in the hair-dressing industry Laughing Laughing

Simple economic principles:

Hair-dresser pay decrease means that less hair-dressers can afford to buy celicas (decrease in product demand) and those that have them may be forced to sell them (increased product on the market), both leading to lower priced celicas Laughing Laughing

All makes perfect sense Laughing
alwaysRA23
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Mon, 18 April 2005 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke382TG wrote on Mon, 18 April 2005 14:39

Word on the street is that most of the later model celicas have been depreciating quite rapidly over the past 12 months due to a downturn in the hair-dressing industry Laughing Laughing

Simple economic principles:

Hair-dresser pay decrease means that less hair-dressers can afford to buy celicas (decrease in product demand) and those that have them may be forced to sell them (increased product on the market), both leading to lower priced celicas Laughing Laughing

All makes perfect sense Laughing

bahaha priceless!
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Mon, 18 April 2005 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doesn't explain how the ultimate hairdresser car, the TA22, still holds its value at 1-2k. Laughing
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Mon, 18 April 2005 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there getting old now Razz
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Mon, 18 April 2005 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Doesn't explain how the ultimate hairdresser car, the TA22, still holds its value at 1-2k.

This phenomenon is easily explained:

Hair-dressers that are interested in purchasing or owning a TA22 have now reached retirement age. After receiving their $10,000 retirement payout for 30+ years of service to the Hair Servicing and Hair Care Industry they are able to perouse the Tradingpost Automobile section (Cars $1000 - $2000) in search of the retired hair-dressers dream machine THE TA22!!

Simple isn't it, the retired hair-dresser is not limited in their choice of automobile by the current hard times their younger peers are subject to.

Laughing Laughing
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Mon, 18 April 2005 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah its weird actually.

I started wanting one in about 1998, they were about $20k then, now its 2005 and theyre worth $10k. Amazing how fast the time has gone by. They are getting to be 15 years old now I spose! Sad
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Mon, 18 April 2005 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I started wanting one in about 1998

Did your hairdressers apprenticeship start around that time by any chance???????? Laughing

Quote:

they were about $20k then

Well out of the price range of an apprentice at Just-Cuts sweeping up hair from $12 hair cuts Laughing

Quote:

now its 2005

.....and you own your own Salon....

Quote:

theyre worth $10k

.....and you can now easily afford one.

Quote:

Amazing how fast the time has gone by

So many hair cuts, where have the years gone......... Laughing Laughing
alwaysRA23
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Mon, 18 April 2005 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tints or streaks daaaarlz... Laughing
celica_cam
Regular

January 2005
Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Mon, 18 April 2005 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
might be because quite a few have been imported recently, they aren't very rare anymore
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Mon, 18 April 2005 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benmeyer wrote on Mon, 18 April 2005 15:39

They are getting to be 15 years old now I spose! Sad

celica_cam wrote on Mon, 18 April 2005 16:21

might be because quite a few have been imported recently, they aren't very rare anymore

I think that's a big contributor. When you can import them for 7-8K, why would you buy a local one for 13-14K

btw, my hairdresser drives a 13B pp R100 Laughing
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Mon, 18 April 2005 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

It's amazing how long it took to get a serious answer.

[Updated on: Mon, 18 April 2005 06:37]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Mon, 18 April 2005 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gee where a mature bunch at toymods aren't we. But yeah i'd say a lot would have to do with grey imports flooding the market.

That or all the hairdressers have decided to upgrade to the ST205 and thus have over supplied the market with ST185's.
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Mon, 18 April 2005 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Come to think of it it prolly is mostly due to the fact that the model did turn 15 in the last 12 months and is therefore eligible for import at a much cheaper price. How did i not think of that!
alwaysRA23
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Mon, 18 April 2005 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or the fact that other cars are in the same boat, evo lancers, wrx's r32 gtr.

all of which are more performance based.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Mon, 18 April 2005 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't forget that the hair that has accumulated in the celicas that falls off the clothing of the hairdresser lowers the cars resale values as it's very hard to remove the human hair from the interior and it makes the seats itchy on long drives Very Happy

Only other hairdressers can tolerate the hair (they become accustomed to it from years in the hair industry) so that in turn decreases the potential market for Celicas also, think about it Laughing

ON a serious note, it's the import thing that will be the biggest price killer, as people have mentioned.

Edit: I do have a soft spot for ST185's and 205's (I cut my own hair!!) Laughing Laughing

[Updated on: Mon, 18 April 2005 07:03]

benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Mon, 18 April 2005 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke382TG wrote on Mon, 18 April 2005 17:01

Don't forget that the hair that has accumulated in the celicas that falls off the clothing of the hairdresser lowers the cars resale values as it's very hard to remove the human hair from the interior and it makes the seats itchy on long drives Very Happy

Only other hairdressers can tolerate the hair (they become accustomed to it from years in the hair industry) so that in turn decreases the potential market for Celicas also, think about it Laughing

ON a serious note, it's the import thing that will be the biggest price killer, as people have mentioned.

Edit: I do have a soft spot for ST185's and 205's (I cut my own hair!!) Laughing Laughing

Every time I look at one of your posts I can't help but be distracted by your avatar. Makes me laugh every time I see it.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Mon, 18 April 2005 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trying owning an r32 gtr.. 3 yrs ago u bought them for like 50k
now u can import them for 20k
decentcondition ones sell for 25k
alwaysRA23
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Mon, 18 April 2005 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know a guy in brisbane who imported 32 gtr's he was paying 12 for an 89,

his personal 32 gtr was 15grand landed. but its got 500 hp!!
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Mon, 18 April 2005 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heh - mines actually increased 7 grand in agreed value ..

then again i dont plan on selling it for a while ..

thing is - a person who truely wants a good or modified version will still happily pay the price the seller sets.

I know you wouldnt see mine on the market for less than 18 K if it was for sale
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Mon, 18 April 2005 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah.. but how much have u spent on it...
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Mon, 18 April 2005 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heh - enough to justify its value increase ..

I have a nice thick folder of reciepts that grow each week Smile
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Mon, 18 April 2005 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Mon, 18 April 2005 20:04

heh - enough to justify its value increase ..

I have a nice thick folder of reciepts that grow each week Smile

my pile of receipts, when all fully layed out is only an inch solidly thick Embarassed
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Mon, 18 April 2005 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its about the same here and doesnt seem to want to end just yet ..

prolly only a third of the way there
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Mon, 18 April 2005 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i bought mine almost a year ago for 10k.
few problems along the way. but i'm very happy with the car itself.
a pleasure to drive every time it is.
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Mon, 18 April 2005 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They are a beautiful car to drive.

It gets annoying when SSS pulsars pull up next to you wanting to race all the time though. Why is it that pulsar and commodore drivers all think their cars are actually quick?
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Tue, 19 April 2005 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ill just remind you that the ST185 has 2 world drivers championships and a world manufactures chamionship.

I don't think your shopping trolley can claim that!

pfft hair dressers car my arse.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Tue, 19 April 2005 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and i believe its toyotas winningest model - ie most wins accredited to the model on an international scale ..

Celicas have taken out more trophies in driving events than any toyota model in history - with the st185 GT4 being the " crown glory " so to speak ..

Not bad for a pig heavy slow hairdresser mobile IMHO..

ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Tue, 19 April 2005 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I don't think your shopping trolley can claim that!

Corollas have transported more groceries from shop to home than any other model of car ever produced!!

Can the Celica get anywhere near that! I think not. Laughing Laughing

Quote:

Ill just remind you that the ST185 has 2 world drivers championships and a world manufactures chamionship.

Thanks for the history lesson Very Happy

On the topic of history, best arcade game ever = Sega Rally and punting around the courses in the Celica. Those were the days..........

Edit: Note to self, Celica owners are almost as passionate about their cars as Sprinter owners. Tread carefully.

[Updated on: Tue, 19 April 2005 02:39]

Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Tue, 19 April 2005 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes the corolla has sold more units than every other car in the world, something toyota should be proud of. That doesn't change the fact that the were designed as a runabout for young ladies, stay at home mums and old grannies. Razz

As for the WRC TRD's decision to run the corolla in the WRC led to the eventual demise of toyotas world rally campaign. Screw F1 I say, bring back the rally!

With the loss of 2 manufacturers in next years championship now would be a perfect time for toyota to re-launch itself back into rally, they could potentially pick up some great drivers (Sainz for example) and set themselve with a strong platform for the future!
alwaysRA23
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Tue, 19 April 2005 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i doubt toyota will ever get back into WRC...

its good to see bates and evans in at the ARC giving it a go tho... with their balls to the walls corollas,

its funny how the 'strolla was around before the celica... and is still going strong, and the celica is fading into the back ground...
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Tue, 19 April 2005 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is the original Toyota Rally machine (TE27)....

http://www.tte.de/images/ta27-1977-2.jpg

......the only true performance corolla ever factory built in my opinion.

alwaysRA23
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Tue, 19 April 2005 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so when are you getting the bolt on flares shane? Laughing
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Tue, 19 April 2005 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alwaysRA23 wrote on Tue, 19 April 2005 13:11

its funny how the 'strolla was around before the celica... and is still going strong, and the celica is fading into the back ground...

It's just a name...

There is nothing in common between Gen 1 Corolla and present
Same goes for Celica (Except that it has 2 doors)

Cheers
T.
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Tue, 19 April 2005 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think his point was that Toyota have ceased production and design of Celicas (and indeed Supras and MR2s) in favour of one all powerful supercar, which looks like a large MR2.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Tue, 19 April 2005 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1972 brought us this offering into the rally championship

http://www.tte.de/images/ta22-jan-73-plattfuss.jpg

no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Tue, 19 April 2005 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok what are the average prices for Group A's just out of question?
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Tue, 19 April 2005 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It all depends on the owner. I can think of one forn sale in canberra where the owner is down to taking offers. And it is a beautiful car from all reports.
Hirogen
Forums Junkie

July 2002
      WTF is a jabber?
Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Tue, 19 April 2005 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just to make it fair for everyone.....Corollas suck....but then so do celicas. Done. Now everyone can be happy.
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Wed, 20 April 2005 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Judging by that comment, your opinion probably isn't going to hold much weight in this thread mate.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Wed, 20 April 2005 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Just to make it fair for everyone.....Corollas suck....but then so do celicas. Done. Now everyone can be happy.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion Very Happy

You obviously suffer from SPS (Small Penis Syndrome) though so your opinion doesn't count Laughing Laughing

Hirogen
Forums Junkie

July 2002
      WTF is a jabber?
Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Wed, 20 April 2005 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol, yeah I suppose so. Laughing
Beej
Regular

April 2004

Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Wed, 20 April 2005 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
probably good too note that the new style corollas that were rallied in the late 90's all had celica engines and running gear, the corolla really served only as a shell...........which is a good idea coz being the cheap common little beaters they are, if u crash its much easier to get panels and shit Laughing
AaronST185
Regular

December 2004
Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Wed, 20 April 2005 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But don't the Sportivo model Corollas have Celica engines anyway?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Wed, 20 April 2005 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
don't old celicas have camry motor's and corona/hilux motor's
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Thu, 21 April 2005 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all corollas that have been used in rallying internationally have all been upgraded with Celica engines or drivetrains .. they usually swap to the corolla shell to take benifit of the weight - as with the very early levin - it was a celica GT underneath - in a corolla shell ( damn hot too )

Corolla WRC and current Bates corolla rallycar are both modified St205 WRC drivetrains fitted into a corolla shell

every major competition corolla i know of bar from the ae86 run of models seem to have been stepped up from the celica parts bin

but yeah - back on topic ..

Seeing you now can get st185's chgeaply thru grey imports - thats why the value will decrease THOUGH you will find them harder to insure than australian delivered models - i know shannons for one were very particular in asking was it an aussie or grey ..

so hopefully ADM gt4's will retain their value a bit better over the run then JDM imports ..

Just remmeber - they might have got the better ECU ( 5kw more ) and heaps more bells and whisltes to balloon the weight out - but the aussie ones as far as all current questions asked show - we got the better drivetrain components..

benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Thu, 21 April 2005 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think one of the reasons we will never see another Celica in teh WRC is that toyota cheated and used some special additive and got caught. am I wrong?
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Thu, 21 April 2005 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nods - theres a write up about it - toyotas little modification that i believe had something to do with the anti lag device ..

but alas - the way its going we might not see another new celica competing anywhere - unless it has a resurgance in updated model
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Thu, 21 April 2005 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It has just been shelved, not farked off. I imagine it will be back with a vengeance in 10 years time, like mitsubishi's colt.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Thu, 21 April 2005 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I guess the same can be said about the supra - though that hasnt happened for 6 years now
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Thu, 21 April 2005 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I imagine it will be back with a vengeance in 10 years time, like mitsubishi's colt.

Celicas, Colts, same, same. Laughing

Quote:

all corollas that have been used in rallying internationally have all been upgraded with Celica engines or drivetrains

Except for the mighty 1969 KE15 Sprinter which sported all Corolla gear Very Happy Did quite well at Bathurst back in the day in its class too. The only good sprinter ever made in my opinion Shocked

I have run out of material on the celica for stirring you guys up. Enjoy your machines guys, they are great cars.

CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Thu, 21 April 2005 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Thu, 21 April 2005 11:53

nods - theres a write up about it - toyotas little modification that i believe had something to do with the anti lag device ..

but alas - the way its going we might not see another new celica competing anywhere - unless it has a resurgance in updated model

It was actually a restrictor plate that moved when in operation, therefore not restricting! I believe they were found out when a scrutineer dropped a screwdriver on the plate only to watch it bounce open!?!

Back to the question originally posed regarding ST185 values - I see the model going through a transition at the moment, with the two main factors being a "flood" of cheap imports abounding currently, and the age and condition of local cars.

The imports will always be cheaper - fact of life. True, you have pros and cons with them, but someone will always buy them, so people may as well get used to it. As for the local cars, we're really seeing a seperation between well maintained and lower Km cars with respectable prices still, and daily hacks with high miles, going very cheaply.

I've bought the latter - a local car requiring alot of work to bring back to an acceptable road standard, even more work to make it a "fun to drive" car, and a hell of alot more work to make it an acceptable "Cheap" weekend motorsport car. At the end of the day, I suppose it boils down to more with what you are prepared to accept - a higher priced, better presented car, or a lower priced import, or local car requiring work to bring it back close to the former offering.
benmeyer
Regular

October 2002

Re: Why have ST185's dropped so heavily in valuen in the last 12 months? Fri, 22 April 2005 01:54 Go to previous message
Good post CLG.

I agree. There are your average daily hacks and the ones that have been someone's baby. When I went looking, I drove many hacks and very few that had been looked after, but paid a respectable price eventually for a showroom condition car, before some clown in a V8 monaro arse-rammed me. It's back to its best now thank god.

Wow, i went off topic a bit there, but my point is, there are two types (JDM and AUS) and then of those, there are both the well looked after models and the ones which have obvously seen hard times. It all depends on the owner.

There is always someone out there who will pay the asking pric e though.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:2001 celica model on ebay
Next Topic:Wheels
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 02:20:25 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0077900886535645 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.