Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
kdogg
Regular

November 2004
4 cylinder nissan engines Tue, 19 April 2005 07:09 Go to next message
i know i know i know its a nissan, but what 4 cylinder nissan engines fit into a ke20?

ps if this is in the wrong section please move.
  Send a private message to this user    
unforgiven
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: 4 cylinder nissan engines Tue, 19 April 2005 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
...why?
kdogg
Regular

November 2004
Re: 4 cylinder nissan engines Tue, 19 April 2005 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its purely for curiosity sake. i would NEVER taint my old rolla with a evil nissan anything. Toyota through and through.
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: 4 cylinder nissan engines Tue, 19 April 2005 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke20 weighs 760kg, legal limit for turbo is weight * 2.5 (1900cc), or n/a weight * 3 (2280cc)

so you can put in turbo ca18det, or naturally aspirated ca18de or rb20de. i've heard there's a 100cc discretion on the above rule, but it's not in the RTA VSI, and i'm yet to ask an engineer about it

which is the better stronger motor depends on who you talk to. seriously tho, would you need to do anything to even a turbo CA in a ke20? with the exhaust, frontmount, computer and induction you'd have to with the conversion, it would already be a 12 second car (you do need to do computer, they don't idle in non-original cars, the different intake length messes with the AFM/MAP or whatever)

you could also put in an earlier datsun motor like a Z16/18 or L20B (or even an A12 or A14 if you really wanted) but you'd want to be able to do it yourself and get the motor on the cheap. the dude i bought my ke25 from used to have a ke30 with an L20B in it, he said it hauled ass pretty well. now he has a ke70 pano with an sr20det and 220kw

true that 3s-gte is a better option than any nissan motor, stronger motor with more potential to make power, but they're so expensive! rwd CA front cuts are ~$2300, rwd SR frontcuts are ~$2800 for s13, up to ~$4500 for s15. if you know the right people, you can pick up entire written off turbo drift silvias for as little as $1500

4ag is another toyota option, but everyone's done one of them Razz the biggest rotary you can put in a ke20 is a naturally aspirated 12a. bridgeports can make upwards of 200hp, but you'll pay for it in the fuel bill (and getting my sik hektik cousin's brother's sister's nanna's rotary workshop to build you the engine)
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: 4 cylinder nissan engines Tue, 19 April 2005 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Super Jamie wrote on Tue, 19 April 2005 17:28

cousin's brother's sister's

wouldnt that just be your cousin anyway? Razz
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: 4 cylinder nissan engines Tue, 19 April 2005 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joke (n.)
1. Something said or done to evoke laughter or amusement, especially an amusing story with a punch line.
2. Something not to be taken seriously; a triviality.

Razz hehehe

[Updated on: Tue, 19 April 2005 08:35]

smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 4 cylinder nissan engines Tue, 19 April 2005 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Super Jamie wrote on Tue, 19 April 2005 17:28

ke20 weighs 760kg, legal limit for turbo is weight * 2.5 (1900cc), or n/a weight * 3 (2280cc)

Since you know so much , what are the lagalities of a 1ggte in a ke25?.
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: 4 cylinder nissan engines Tue, 19 April 2005 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke25s get registered as a "ke20 variant", so still 760kg

a 1g-gte is 1988cc and has forced induction. so http://forums.toymods.org.au/images/message_icons/icon13.gif

like i said, someone's told me that there's a 100cc variance to that rule, but his last road car was engineered a long time ago, and someone else has since told me the the first guy is full of shit. you guess is as good as mine

if you're honestly wanting to go ahead with the conversion, and not just throwing around numbers-numbers-letters, and a 4agze/4agte/ca18det just isn't good enough, call an engineer and ask them, then we'll both know for sure

i intend to go see an engineer about rollcage, brakes, lsd, etc etc sometime soon, and i'll be asking then

you could always get a heavier car. 2L turbo is 100% legal in a ke30 onwards, but they just don't look as cool as ke2x cars Cool
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 4 cylinder nissan engines Tue, 19 April 2005 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Super Jamie wrote on Tue, 19 April 2005 18:57

ke25s get registered as a "ke20 variant", so still 760kg

a 1g-gte is 1988cc and has forced induction. so http://forums.toymods.org.au/images/message_icons/icon13.gif

like i said, someone's told me that there's a 100cc variance to that rule, but his last road car was engineered a long time ago, and someone else has since told me the the first guy is full of shit. you guess is as good as mine

if you're honestly wanting to go ahead with the conversion, and not just throwing around numbers-numbers-letters, and a 4agze/4agte/ca18det just isn't good enough, call an engineer and ask them, then we'll both know for sure

i intend to go see an engineer about rollcage, brakes, lsd, etc etc sometime soon, and i'll be asking then

you could always get a heavier car. 2L turbo is 100% legal in a ke30 onwards, but they just don't look as cool as ke2x cars Cool

Thanks for the info mate Smile , i had a ke30 they are very nice, but i would get a 2 door if i could find the bastard, i saw one for sale owner wanted 2.5k Rolling Eyes .
EnFlaMEd
Regular

September 2003
Re: 4 cylinder nissan engines Tue, 19 April 2005 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey man you forgot the mighty fj20!
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 4 cylinder nissan engines Tue, 19 April 2005 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cant beat the old L16 from the Datsun 1600.

Not to forget the L20B from the 200B/Bluebird.

But why would you want to put a Nissan motor in a Toyota ffs ?
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: 4 cylinder nissan engines Tue, 19 April 2005 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
because you can get it on the cheap. because they are actually pretty good motors. because a turbo CA is half the price of a turbo 3S and still a stupidly quick motor in a corolla

i didn't forget the FJ, or the RB, i just consider them too heavy to be of anu use in a corolla Wink i have photos of a ke20 in adelaide with an RB30DE in it, not engineered of course
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4 cylinder nissan engines Tue, 19 April 2005 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDCelica wrote on Tue, 19 April 2005 20:20

Um, I'm pretty sure you can actually. Razz
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: 4 cylinder nissan engines Tue, 19 April 2005 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh, btw, i used to have a ke35 as well. too heavy for my liking Razz at least for a stock 3k. swapping that motor into my ke25 made a noticeable difference, as it does when you drop ~100kg
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 4 cylinder nissan engines Tue, 19 April 2005 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but if you put in a bigger motor in doesnt that add to the weight...

say you got a 720kg car... and the new motor adds 100kg, so now its a 820kg car... times 2.5... gives you... 2050cc...

FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 4 cylinder nissan engines Tue, 19 April 2005 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Wed, 20 April 2005 08:39

FWDCelica wrote on Tue, 19 April 2005 20:20

Um, I'm pretty sure you can actually. Razz

Well you couldn't back in the early '70s.

Australian Rally Champ for umpteen years !
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: 4 cylinder nissan engines Tue, 19 April 2005 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no, the law is based on original tare weight, you can't change it.

or we'd all just chuck some bags of cement in the back and engineer away Very Happy
kdogg
Regular

November 2004
Re: 4 cylinder nissan engines Wed, 20 April 2005 02:02 Go to previous message
ok ok i guess the ca18 is a decent option
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Nice aristo
Next Topic:Whats a gearbox worth?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-