Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Sprockett
Occasional Poster

September 2004
1ggte bov install Mon, 18 April 2005 16:44 Go to next message
I want to install a denso or bosch BOV in my 1ggte. I've read the write up in that supra page but I am wondering if anyone else that has done it did it a different way? Different as in no steel threaded adapter etc.
  Send a private message to this user    
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1ggte bov install Mon, 18 April 2005 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm looking at doing it too simply because I hate waiting for the turbo's to spool up after changing gear (where i usually close the throttle). I know that in theory it shouldn't really matter on a stocker, but then I ask, why do they include them on 1jz and 2jz's? Smile

I think the method used on that supra page is the best. It's basically a bolt on job, and it's plumbback
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1ggte bov install Mon, 18 April 2005 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can guarantee a BOV will not make your turbos spool up faster. If anything it will take a bit longer.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1ggte bov install Mon, 18 April 2005 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Huh? I don't think i'd use a BOV to make them spool faster... if I wanted to do that (and I do) i'd use some form of electronic boost controller!

I want to reduce the amount the turbos slow down after snapping shut the throttle.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1ggte bov install Tue, 19 April 2005 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a blitz super sound bov on my gz20 and she runs fine no bad idling and backfiring yet its been 2 months now

cheers
Sprockett
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: 1ggte bov install Tue, 19 April 2005 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am doing solo 2 racing with the car on occasional and it's alot of on/off throttle. I am not fitting the Valve for spooling reasons. Although, I would have thought that a recirc valve would not affect spooling that negatively.

And by different I mean without the need to frabricate a fancy threaded steel adapter.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1ggte bov install Tue, 19 April 2005 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie: I dis agree...

Consider it this way:

On Full boost just before change, turbo spins forward at say 40000RPM (just a figure for the purpose of the explaination).

Now, when you change gear, the butterfly snaps shut, so all that compressed air decides to force it's way back out through the inducer of the turbo, hence putting resistance on the turbo and slowing it down.

So, when we include this resistance, let's just say that by the time you've changed gear and re-opened the butterfly, the turbo is now spinning at 20000rpm due to the resistive force it's had put on it.

So, you now have to wait for the turbo to spin back up to 40000rpm from 20000rpm.

Now for with the BOV.

Turbo doing 40000rpm.
Butterfly snaps shut.
Compressed air escapes and doesn't put resistive force on turbo.
Turbo slows down of it's own accord.
Reaches 32000rpm by the time you've re-opned throttle.
Now you have to wait for the turbo to spin from 32000rpm to 40000rpm.

Even if the turbo has slowed to 30000rpm naturally rather than 20000rpm, that's still 50% less time you have to wait for spool up.

That's how it helps the spool up time.
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: 1ggte bov install Tue, 19 April 2005 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This seems to be a touchy subject as of late, but i Agree with what Stradlater is saying. Smile when the butterfly snaps shut, it obviously is bouncing air back into the compressor wheel, we know this becuase of the sound it makes... this would be slowing the turbo's' revs down.. i'm just repeating what's been said before,so i will be quiet now Embarassed
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 1ggte bov install Tue, 19 April 2005 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have to agree with norbie on this.

As per the other thread, turbo's need alot of energy to keep spooling. Thats exhaust, once thats cut away (shutting the throttle) all that energy bleeds off quick smart.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1ggte bov install Tue, 19 April 2005 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is there any proof either way? Do car makers install BOV's from the factory to try reduce noise or increase the performance feel of the car? (note, I am NOT saying increase performance power wise, but increase drivability)
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1ggte bov install Tue, 19 April 2005 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stradlater wrote on Tue, 19 April 2005 13:59

Norbie: I dis agree...

Consider it this way:

On Full boost just before change, turbo spins forward at say 40000RPM (just a figure for the purpose of the explaination).

Now, when you change gear, the butterfly snaps shut, so all that compressed air decides to force it's way back out through the inducer of the turbo, hence putting resistance on the turbo and slowing it down.

So, when we include this resistance, let's just say that by the time you've changed gear and re-opened the butterfly, the turbo is now spinning at 20000rpm due to the resistive force it's had put on it.

So, you now have to wait for the turbo to spin back up to 40000rpm from 20000rpm.

Now for with the BOV.

Turbo doing 40000rpm.
Butterfly snaps shut.
Compressed air escapes and doesn't put resistive force on turbo.
Turbo slows down of it's own accord.
Reaches 32000rpm by the time you've re-opned throttle.
Now you have to wait for the turbo to spin from 32000rpm to 40000rpm.

Even if the turbo has slowed to 30000rpm naturally rather than 20000rpm, that's still 50% less time you have to wait for spool up.

That's how it helps the spool up time.

ahhhh but it has to re-pressurise the pipes after all this so what takes longer??
Sprockett
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: 1ggte bov install Tue, 19 April 2005 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What about a Recirculating Valve as opposed to venting to atmosphere? No need to to repressurize the intake track as no air has left the system.

Drifting off topic but that's cool. If anyone has response to original question, still looking.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1ggte bov install Tue, 19 April 2005 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
-==L=a=N=c=E==- wrote on Tue, 19 April 2005 19:12

As per the other thread, turbo's need alot of energy to keep spooling. Thats exhaust, once thats cut away (shutting the throttle) all that energy bleeds off quick smart.

Precisely. No exhaust = no power to keep the turbo spinning, so the "increased resistance" of the pressure wave coming back is pretty much irrelevant.

And as Justen correctly pointed out in the other thread, the compressor in a turbocharger is a turbine, not a pump, so air being forced backwards through the compressor doesn't affect it much.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1ggte bov install Tue, 19 April 2005 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sprockett wrote on Wed, 20 April 2005 00:11

What about a Recirculating Valve as opposed to venting to atmosphere? No need to to repressurize the intake track as no air has left the system.

Makes no difference because the BOV dumps to the low-pressure side of the system.
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 1ggte bov install Tue, 19 April 2005 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As far as i'm aware. Any BOV fitted from factory is there to reduce noise only.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1ggte bov install Wed, 20 April 2005 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Wed, 20 April 2005 08:29

Sprockett wrote on Wed, 20 April 2005 00:11

Makes no difference because the BOV dumps to the low-pressure side of the system.

what he said low pressure side being the one after the afm and before the turbos

lance is also right it is fitted to reduce noise , take the stock air box out from a car with a hotwire afm or no afm , and u will get the flutter noise which is compressor surge or what ever u call it

vane type afm cars wont have any flutter noise but will have a faint chuufff kinda noise which is basically same flutter noise but its trying to force itself out through the small hole under the vane in the afm and makes a different noise

[Updated on: Wed, 20 April 2005 00:58]

-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 1ggte bov install Wed, 20 April 2005 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some people forget that intake noise can be as loud as exhaust noise. And we all know what flutter sounds like with no BOV and a pod filter. Its damn loud!
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1ggte bov install Wed, 20 April 2005 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a flap style AFM, and I get the flutter noise.

Oh well, I don't care!
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1ggte bov install Wed, 20 April 2005 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1ggte bov install Wed, 20 April 2005 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HMM U MAYBE USING A BIGGER TURBO THEN Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

u will still get a small mount of noise though but ive never really found it loud enuf for attention , lollllll

my old nissan exa had the noise but wasnt loud enuf , put a bigger turbo on and the damn noise was still not loud but the car felt like it shuddered while changing gears when the sound was happening

what setup are u running hydra is it still stock twin turbos , what boost , and do u run a pod filter Very Happy
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 1ggte bov install Wed, 20 April 2005 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HyDrA wrote on Wed, 20 April 2005 12:09

I have a flap style AFM, and I get the flutter noise.

Oh well, I don't care!

mine flutters as well. and i ahve a flap style AFM.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1ggte bov install Wed, 20 April 2005 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn bastardo car of mine doesnt do it i like that noise i know it aint good but love it

what u guys doing to get it
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1ggte bov install Wed, 20 April 2005 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Put a 90 degree rubber bend on the front of your turbo, that'll sort you out.

Allan: YOu aren't supposed to be shooting holes in my theories!!! But yes, I did think of that, and that's the pit fall, but I figured I'd put the argument forward anyway, as I felt like sticking up for the BOV. I guess it comes down to how pressurized your pipes are, and how long they are.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1ggte bov install Wed, 20 April 2005 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Put a 90 degree rubber bend on the front of your turbo, that'll sort you out.

how does that help dude
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1ggte bov install Wed, 20 April 2005 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have no idea, but i've seen it done on many mates cars, and it somehow amplyfies(sp.) the noise coming out of the front of the turbo. The 'Flutter'
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1ggte bov install Wed, 20 April 2005 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lollllll good one , but i still have factory turbos thats why was askign lance and hydra how they got it
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1ggte bov install Wed, 20 April 2005 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stockie gen3's, K&N pod filter (hey, it was on SPECIAL!), boost depends on outside temp, can be 11psi, can be 15psi, just wait until I get the EBC going!

there is plenty of 90° bends in my car Sad
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1ggte bov install Wed, 20 April 2005 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, remove your air filter, and put a 90 degree bend on the front of the AFM. see what happens.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1ggte bov install Wed, 20 April 2005 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lolno filter wont that fuck up the turbines and all ,

stock gen 3 are bigger then my gen 2 but ive got no pod filter still using std airbox cut open , have to try a pod filter
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1ggte bov install Wed, 20 April 2005 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It'll only fuck the turbines if you get shit down there.

But yes, I did question the idea of no air filter when I saw them running it with no filter,
but I gave up questioning.

Hell, they ain't my turbos
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1ggte bov install Wed, 20 April 2005 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lolll yeah but the whole point is the noise cant get past the vane tye afm due to the flap bing there if ther was no afm then im pretty sure mine would have done it too , thats why i asked hydra and lance as they said they have the flap type afm and still get the noise damn i envy them
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1ggte bov install Wed, 20 April 2005 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lolll yeah but the whole point is the noise cant get past the vane tye afm due to the flap bing there if ther was no afm then im pretty sure mine would have done it too , thats why i asked hydra and lance as they said they have the flap type afm and still get the noise damn i envy them
Sprockett
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: 1ggte bov install Wed, 20 April 2005 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So, in your opinion, if you are running stock boost on a third gen and plan to to be violently on and off the throttle 20 times in one minute, 4 times a day, three times a month...is there any reason to fit a Recirc BOV just to help reduce stress on your motor?
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1ggte bov install Wed, 20 April 2005 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
waste of time according to me just fit a atmo one and be done with it less haseels and less pipe work
Sprockett
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: 1ggte bov install Wed, 20 April 2005 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forget the recirc aspect. Is there worth in installing a BOV at all to reduce stresses on the motor from this type of use?

Ryan
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1ggte bov install Wed, 20 April 2005 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bov aint gonna reduce no stress from the motor , ur turbos will benefit from the bov cause remember these engines didnt have bov from factory, plus if ur modifyign the engine for more power it would be even better reason id say it would be a good idea to install one

a bov is there only to reduce the pressure acting on the turbos created due to the throttle being shut while on boost
IT DOESNT HELP THE ENGINE IN ANY WAY

fitting an oil catch can will benefit ur engine and ur intercooler

cheers
Sprockett
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: 1ggte bov install Thu, 21 April 2005 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sry, I am including the turbos as part of the motor so in short, it will help reduce stress on my parts. Thanks.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1ggte bov install Thu, 21 April 2005 02:03 Go to previous message
yes
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:How much power?
Next Topic:Leaf to Coil Conversion????????
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 17:05:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00714111328125 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.