Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » Connect VCR to Computer?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Connect VCR to Computer? Mon, 14 June 2004 09:44 Go to next message
I want to connect a VCR to my computer so i can put the good old family holiday movies onto a DVD now all i want is a video car or something which has a hole saying "Video In" and another one saying "Audio In" how much am i looking at paying and what brand should i get and where can i buy the sucker?

Good picture quality too Razz
  Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Connect VCR to Computer? Mon, 14 June 2004 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For real good quality you want something that can do MPEG2

But I'm onlyt guessing that VCRs quality is the equivalent of MPEG1

Either way, get a card that can do MPEG2, and you will not need anything more.
Major Clod
Regular

August 2003
Re: Connect VCR to Computer? Tue, 15 June 2004 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cruise down to your local computer store and look for a video capture card. They can range from around $70 and upwards. A good leadtek card will set you back around $120.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Connect VCR to Computer? Tue, 15 June 2004 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Major Clod wrote on Tue, 15 June 2004 11:43

Cruise down to your local computer store and look for a video capture card. They can range from around $70 and upwards. A good leadtek card will set you back around $120.

But he wants good quality.

I've only ever seen very avg to avg quality from a sub $150 capture card.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Connect VCR to Computer? Tue, 15 June 2004 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One of the Leadtek cards would be fine. It's not going to be any worse quality than the VCR itself, it just looks worse on a computer screen.

WHITCHY
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Connect VCR to Computer? Tue, 15 June 2004 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you want to save yourself the trouble there is a company that does this for you, and I think they guarantee the disks to last for a long time! not sure how much they charge you? but by the time you have got a good card, dvd's, dvd burner(if you dont already have one) and spent the time doing it all, it could work out cheaper? just my thoughts!
cya!
-Whitchy-
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Connect VCR to Computer? Tue, 15 June 2004 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WHITCHY wrote on Tue, 15 June 2004 13:09

If you want to save yourself the trouble there is a company that does this for you, and I think they guarantee the disks to last for a long time! not sure how much they charge you?

Yeah, and its like $30 a tape
Geoff
Regular

October 2002
Re: Connect VCR to Computer? Tue, 15 June 2004 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey i can make VHS on to DVD's i have done quite a few of them
I use a leadtex 2000xp expert
generally make them in to 4 or 6 chapters to fit on one page on the dvd
so they work like a normal dvd
Im only from HORNSBY if you like i can show you how to do it?

GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Connect VCR to Computer? Tue, 15 June 2004 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just got a new computer with all the great stuff, 3.0G pentium 4 processor, 128mb Radeon video card, Samsun DVD-+RW drive 1G of Ram and so forth, and i've made DVD's before but only using video's i have got off the net i was just looking at what to get so i can connect a VCR to my computer so i can get stuff off tapes.

i will try and get into a computer store this weekend,
thanks for the replys guys
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Connect VCR to Computer? Tue, 15 June 2004 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually, what Radeon Card do you have? Some of them support VIVO so you can record using them. Just a thought...
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Connect VCR to Computer? Tue, 15 June 2004 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Belkin have 2 products out that will do what you want:

A USB VideoBUS II - its a usb analogue video input device, similar to a capture card and can capture up to 352x288 (VCD) Product code = F5U208

The better one, High Speed USB 2.0 DVD Creator. It captures analogue video up to 720x480 Product code = F5U228

They can be found in most small computer shops or mainly Myers, Harvey Norman and Dick Smith
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Connect VCR to Computer? Tue, 15 June 2004 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
id be very wary about a USB video in setup

USB2 might be ok, but you cant beat a proper card
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Connect VCR to Computer? Tue, 15 June 2004 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Umm just says Radeon 9600

i think the model is AGP8X ?

i had a little look at it and it has a video out RCA plug, a normal monitor plug then some long sort of plug with heaps of tiny pins a plug i have never seen on a computer before
mtsbirch
Regular

October 2002
Re: Connect VCR to Computer? Tue, 15 June 2004 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GIN51E wrote on Tue, 15 June 2004 07:01

i had a little look at it and it has a video out RCA plug, a normal monitor plug then some long sort of plug with heaps of tiny pins a plug i have never seen on a computer before

Sounds like an All-In-Wonder card. I have an older one of those cards (32 Mb) and you can capture good quality video through it. Make sure you have lots of RAM though, no matter which capture device you get, or you'll be dropping frames like crazy.
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Connect VCR to Computer? Tue, 15 June 2004 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gearb0x wrote on Tue, 15 June 2004 22:47

id be very wary about a USB video in setup

USB2 might be ok, but you cant beat a proper card

The USB 1.1 doesn't is limited in the res' but the USB 2 device works quite well, dont really have many problems with them. They have a rrp of 149.95 too, so it should be a fair bit cheaper than a new video card, but if your happy to buy a new card, do it, i am running a Ti4200 at home with VIVO and it works very well, without dropping any frames!

Just thought I'd throw in a couple more options. Rolling Eyes
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Connect VCR to Computer? Wed, 16 June 2004 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mtsbirch wrote on Wed, 16 June 2004 01:28

Sounds like an All-In-Wonder card. I have an older one of those cards (32 Mb) and you can capture good quality video through it. Make sure you have lots of RAM though, no matter which capture device you get, or you'll be dropping frames like crazy.

How does that sound like an All-in-Wonder card? It just sounds like a normal Radeon 9600 with VGA, composite and DVI. Wouldn't an All-in-Wonder have provision for a TV antenna?

Just get one of the capture cards and you'll have no problems, the card was just a thought, it would've said VIVO on one of the manuals if it was.
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Connect VCR to Computer? Tue, 19 April 2005 19:09 Go to previous message
mtsbirch wrote on Wed, 16 June 2004 01:28

Confused

You need a capture card, stop procrastinating and go buy one Razz

TV pixels are bigger than PC pixels, hence when the VCR plays on the PC, it WILL look like dog shit.

however, when you play it in a DVD Player everything will be fine...

my friend has one of those USB VIVO things, it isnt that bad, quite good!

Eldar.O.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:HIFI STORES IN CANBERRA?
Next Topic:can u change your username
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 17:47:05 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0073578357696533 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.