Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
AuthorTopic
Mr_X
Newcomer

April 2005
VK Commodore Mon, 18 April 2005 06:21 Go to next message
Hey Guys,

I'm new to this forum, this is my first post.

Anyways... I've got a 1985 SL executive VK Holden Commodore. Now the 20 year old carby straight 6 black 202 is starting to chug and is not performing as much as I would like it to. It's in straight stock condition and am wanting to beef it up a little.

Have considered a couple of mod's and conversions.

- Performance 202 with CRS supercharger?
- Performance 202 with T04 turbocharger?
- RB30 turbo?
- 304 injected V8?

Now am just wanting some information, prices and ideas for what I could do? Am hoping all up to get around 200Kw out of it on a budget of no more then 8K's

Cheers.

[Updated on: Mon, 18 April 2005 06:23]

Send a private message to this user  
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: VK Commodore Mon, 18 April 2005 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no offense dude but for your first post this might be a little sensitive, you might get some help, but i'm tipping a lot of flamish about your first post being on a topic of commodores. Its a toyota forum, so realistically if you want better or more info, try street commodores or the likes, they may be better able to answer your questions.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: VK Commodore Mon, 18 April 2005 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually, think of this as a test of the maturity of toymods members

I'm sure most people around here should be sensible enough to be nice to the guy.

Best of luck finding the help you need.

Cheers

edit:

Put a 1JZ in that commodore. Make it purr real good. You could do that for $8k and walk away with a fairly nice conversion, couldn't you?

or if you want 3 litre, have you thought about a 2JZ-GTE? Starting to get expensive then though.

[Updated on: Mon, 18 April 2005 06:27]

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: VK Commodore Mon, 18 April 2005 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sell shitbox 6 cylinder VK and buy V8 Commodore.
????
Profit.

You have asked this question 15 times on Performance Forums. Stop asking the same shit. The answer is the same.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: VK Commodore Mon, 18 April 2005 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What's stage 2?
boudan
Regular

June 2003
Re: VK Commodore Mon, 18 April 2005 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Dream on.

Which part of your post actually refers to anything toyota specific?

Like all conversions, double your budget and halve your "RWKW" figure..

Think about the cost of suspension, brakes, tyres, reconditioning or replacement of 20year old parts, including rubbers and points of fricton (moving parts).

If you have to ask such general questions you havent done your home work.. The conversion should be entirely your idea for the finished project ie. what you want to do with it.

Also factor EFI mods, gearbox to suit, new tailshaft, diff, engine mounts, exhuast etc..

Dont forget your MONSTER TACHO...
Rolling Eyes

shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: VK Commodore Mon, 18 April 2005 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
use a toyota lexen motor, they are great.
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: VK Commodore Mon, 18 April 2005 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcome new poster

not to scare you off asking questions on the internet, but there is usually a place for everything. this board is predominantly about toyotas, most of the members here probably don't know a thing about your VK, and we'll just tell you to put a toyota motor in it Smile

i suspect you would find a much better range of answers, filled with experience of people who have been in the same/similar situation as you, as well as a vast range of technical know-how about your specific car on a forum dedicated to commodores, as opposed to one dedicated to celicas, corollas, coronas, supras, camrys, etc

here's a couple of likely ones i found by typing "holden commodore club" into google. good luck!

http://groups.msn.com/commodoreclub/commodoresstat s.msnw
http://forums.commodorecarclubwa.com/
acreese
Regular

May 2004
Re: VK Commodore Mon, 18 April 2005 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4EFTE coversion with a T88 Turbo will be the goods.... Evil or Very Mad

Better yet, your steps to success..

Step 1) Buy a 200KW engine
Step 2) Install
Step 3) Enjoy!
Step 4 - 400) Fix the parts of the VK that can't handle teh powaz.

Or a more serious note,

Sell the VK
Purchase a VL

Then go to this site and follow instructions on converting a RB30DE into a RB30DET
http://home.iprimus.com.au/chris_white82/

That guy spend $1500. (add $2000 on top of that and it won't explode) and it will probably put out 200KW (at the fly)

-Adam.

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: VK Commodore Mon, 18 April 2005 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll be nice Razz

If you want my truly honest opinion, ditch the car - but that's what I'd do. If you like the car, well that's your thing, and it's not hard to improve a Commodore. Personally, I'd never consider any of the Holden options, and would rather stick a Toyota engine in there (1UZ, 1/2JZ.) Second to that is the easiest option, being to stick in a Nissan engine - VL crossmember etc. and you can bolt in RB20/25 (no way I'd waste a 26 on a VK!) without TOO much difficulty. Fuel tank? EFI VK, and use a bigger pump. Transmission? Do you like manual or auto? Suspension? Talk to any reasonable suspension place - Commodores aren't exactly hard to find bits for. Bolt on some 17s so you can fit larger brakes. Easy fit is the hub-type SV5000 (about 330mm) rotors. Use common calipers - Nissan 4 potters are easy to come by. That should at least give you something to think about.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: VK Commodore Mon, 18 April 2005 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, and if your 202 is only starting to chug, then somethings amiss:

1. You're immune to chugging, as are most who drive these things
2. You've done bloody well to get it started in the first place Razz
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: VK Commodore Mon, 18 April 2005 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate has a 3.8lt v6 from a vs ute in his vk. Doesn't look half bad either
mrsmart
Regular

October 2002
Re: VK Commodore Tue, 19 April 2005 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ignore those wallys, especially MrShin.

If you want a good 6, stick with the 202. Top performance motor, with great potential. The natural flow capabilities of the 12 port head blow me away. Sorry, bad joke. But seriously, the bottom end will rev forever, especially with starfire rods (ooooh another great motor!), and with triple strombergs you can run it rich as too! My mate spent 2 grand on his 202 and got 97kw at the treads. Dead serious! I can find the dyno graph to prove it.

Whatabout a box? The Aussie four speed is definitely an excellent choice. If you're lucky you can find one at a wrecker. They have a shift feel second to none, and with 4 gears you've always got power when cruising.

However, if you want to upset the Holden purists I know the perfect motor for you. Ford sold it up until the early 90's, it's the 250 crossflow. Apparently the air goes in one side of the head and out the other. I don't know why they bothered making the head that way, but it's made of alloy, and you can have an AlloyHead II badge. Alloy is lighter, so not as tough as cast iron, but they used it anyway. And then for the gearbox you'll need a toploader. Another great piece of engineering.

I'll stop there. Have fun!

edit: what city do you live in?

[Updated on: Tue, 19 April 2005 13:02]

towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: VK Commodore Tue, 19 April 2005 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrsmart wrote on Tue, 19 April 2005 22:54

Ignore those wallys, especially MrShin.

If you want a good 6, stick with the 202. Top performance motor, with great potential. The natural flow capabilities of the 12 port head blow me away. Sorry, bad joke. But seriously, the bottom end will rev forever, especially with starfire rods (ooooh another great motor!)

And here i was thinking was that the fartfire was based on the 186.
Quote:

, and with triple strombergs you can run it rich as too! My mate spent 2 grand on his 202 and got 97kw at the treads. Dead serious! I can find the dyno graph to prove it.

That all Rolling Eyes from a 202. what head did he use ?
Quote:

Whatabout a box? The Aussie four speed is definitely an excellent choice.

Yep, ya not wrong till you make a gear change and the lever pops out and you're left with a lever in your hand and no gears Laughing
Quote:

However, if you want to upset the Holden purists I know the perfect motor for you. Ford sold it up until the early 90's, it's the 250 crossflow.Apparently the air goes in one side of the head and out the other. I don't know why they bothered making the head that way, but it's made of alloy, and you can have an AlloyHead II badge. Alloy is lighter, so not as tough as cast iron, but they used it anyway. And then for the gearbox you'll need a toploader. Another great piece of engineering.

I'll stop there. Have fun!

edit: what city do you live in?

Fruitcake Very Happy
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: VK Commodore Tue, 19 April 2005 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got 88rwkw out of my 202 on straight LPG. that was with a yella terra head, mild cam and free flow exhaust. and it cost me a FORTUNE to do it.

if you don't mind spending a small countries income for little return then sure - the 202 will be ideal for you.

otherwise you can do the following :

1. an RB30E or RB30ET will fit in your VK using a VL K frame. i think a custom gearbox crossmember may be required due to there being no bulge in the floor of the VK for the cat convertor like there was in the VL. this also opens up options for rb20s, rb25's and rb26s (rb26 needs mods to fit)

2. a V6 will also fit - using a k frame from a VN-VP - it will also bolt straight in no mods required - again - a custom gearbox crossmember would be required here.

3. an injected v8 will also go in there no issues - but again - extracting 200rwkw out of an injected v8 is not an easy (or cheap) kind of feat

200rwkw can be obtained by use of a newer kind of motor from either toyota OR nissan - and probably far cheaper too (and return some sort of decent fuel economy)

hope this helps.
81LOWLUX
Regular

March 2005
Re: VK Commodore Tue, 19 April 2005 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive had a naturaly asparated 202 that did low 14s in a torana.
202 red, 60tho over(208), 40,80 cam, cain manifold, 350 holley jetted up and bigger power valve, extractors into 2 1/2" exhaust, straight through lukey muffler, 3" muffler back and under the diff.
I still had the standard head, 3 speed manual(floor shift but), and a 3.36 diff.
If you use a yella terra bathurst 12 port head, celica 5 speed and 3.55 diff gears in a vk should do high 13s
vk only 200kg more than lx torana.
cheap and lots of stick.

or

i have a 304 black brock motor 4 sale pm me for details.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: VK Commodore Tue, 19 April 2005 23:19 Go to previous message
This person is either an idiot or an elaborate troll.

He has posted the same question on multiple occasions on performance forums here, here, here and here and is now posting the same rubbish on streetcommodores' forums.

Time to lock it down fellas.

[Updated on: Tue, 19 April 2005 23:25]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
Previous Topic:ST185 Springs
Next Topic:Help on supercharging 18RG
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 17 20:46:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050139427185059 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.