Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 84' Camry Engine swap.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

icon5.gif  84' Camry Engine swap. Wed, 15 May 2002 11:30 Go to next message
I have plans to buy and fit a 3S-GE engine in my camry (among other things like new paintjob, lower and tighter suspension etc.).

Currently there is a 2S-E engine in there, which has got me thinking. Will the ECU be compatable with the 3S-GE or will I need to get the correct one?

Mods i plan on doing:
Black all over paint job, shiny
Engine swap to a 3S-GE
2.5" exhaust with sports headers
Lower and tighter suspension (camber kit maybe)
some form of security system
new stereo (my current stock one's tape is slow and dodgy, and the radio detunes itself easily... anyone know a fix for these?)
Probably rear discs... and maybe mags, if i find some that look good on the car.
Later on (when i'm 25, if i'm still driving it) i'll turbo it Smile

After all that it'll be my little beast...
  Send a private message to this user    
dorikin
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: 84' Camry Engine swap. Wed, 15 May 2002 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
has anyone done this??? that would be one sweet sleeper!!! by the way, would the stock gearbox handle the extra power???

otherwise sweet plans dude... i'd love to do this mods to my 84 camry (don't let the TA22 pic fool you, the camry is my "basic transportation" not my fun machine)
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 84' Camry Engine swap. Wed, 15 May 2002 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the positive feedback.

The gearbox should be fine, i've heard of people using the 2s-e's gearbox on a 3s-gte without any troubles!

This little beast is already quite powerful for what it is... i've taken it up to 170km/h, but atm i'm using retreads (needed new cheap tyres when i got the car... Sad)

A little bit of body work needs to be done, some dents and cracked bits...
maxdamage75
Regular

May 2002

Re: 84' Camry Engine swap. Thu, 16 May 2002 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is the 2s-e efi or carby?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 84' Camry Engine swap. Thu, 16 May 2002 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is someone out there who has supercharged a Camry and has claimed some impressive scalps. He was a regular on the old forums.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 84' Camry Engine swap. Thu, 16 May 2002 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maxdamage75 wrote on Thu, 16 May 2002 9:52 AM

is the 2s-e efi or carby?

EFI, i didnt know there was a carby model...

I'm going to go and have a look at some 3s-ge engines today... should be interesting Smile Does $950 sound about right for a 3S-GE?

[Updated on: Thu, 16 May 2002 02:33]

HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 84' Camry Engine swap. Thu, 16 May 2002 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Thu, 16 May 2002 10:00 AM

There is someone out there who has supercharged a Camry and has claimed some impressive scalps. He was a regular on the old forums.

Wouldn't a supercharger gulp down a fair bit more fuel?

I'd have no doubt that a supercharger would increase the power a fair amount... but the question is, what model camry? Smile
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: 84' Camry Engine swap. Thu, 16 May 2002 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hydra,

That custom supercharged one was on the SV21 on a 3SFE.
maxdamage75
Regular

May 2002

Re: 84' Camry Engine swap. Thu, 16 May 2002 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok cool, was just wondering coz i've got a 2s-c in my celica. 2s-e - 77kw, 2s-c - 73kw. why couldn't they put the efi engine in the celicas? and i also found out that the camry's came with power mirrors. What the hell is going on with the celicas??
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: 84' Camry Engine swap. Thu, 16 May 2002 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camry back then were like a Vienta Grande of the 80's. They had everything under the sun apart from leather and fridge.
maxdamage75
Regular

May 2002

Re: 84' Camry Engine swap. Thu, 16 May 2002 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so they had electric windows, cruise control etc..all that shit?
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 84' Camry Engine swap. Thu, 16 May 2002 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well it seems i got the lesser model Razz but i'm kind of thankful because i've heard of the mirrors failing... oh well.

I didnt get to see any 3s-ge's today Sad i was seeing someone off at the airport Sad I may go have a look this weekend
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: 84' Camry Engine swap. Thu, 16 May 2002 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maxdamage75,

Yes, supposidely they got power windows, mirrors, standard.

The had an optional 9 band graphic equalisier (good to see the bars go up as you crank it up), sunroof... forgot the rest but I've still got the original Camry brochure here in hardcopy.

As for rear disc, I don't know what other cars would fit. Your Camry has a 4 stud so maybe the AE8x Corollas would be your best bet. At least those are "easier" to source than the SV21 I put on.
Hello-0
Newcomer

May 2002
Re: 84' Camry Engine swap. Fri, 17 May 2002 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello. My name is Neil an I am pretty sure I have looked into almost every think for the camry hatch. You most likely have seen my car around, a silver with black body kit and the number plate hello-0. I have had it since start of 2000.

The conversion that I got quoted was to make my camry a 13 sec 1/4 mile time with a stock motor placed into the engine bay.

My camry doesn't have the fancy features and was one of the rare type since toyota produce 3 types in one year. The reason I say this is I have yet to see a nother camry hatch with the camry brown interior. Most came out with the blue.

I wouldn't do a conversion until my motor needs changing since I had it reconditioned when I bought the car and takes on anything quite well. I am also running unleaded with no troubles in the leaded engine. Have fun finding extractors for the camry hatch cos the people I went through said the I got the last official set. I am only running a 2", hotdog, muffler, 2.5" tip exhaust, and it is loud. Top end is 180Km/h in 5 gear sitting on 4500 revs. My aim is to hit 200Km/h with the engine.

The suspension changes every thing about the cars handling and larger/lower profile tires help too. Braking just upgrade the front brake pads and doing 70km/h stopped in 3 to 5 meters (skid line to prove it)Which has to be good. The only time the brakes have stopped working was after driving for and hour (hard) they lost the usefulness and gears came into play.

Sound system, if set up right, kicks ass over other more expensive systems and amps, and is only heard inside the car if the car is closed up.

What else do you want to know about the car or parts? I have been looking since I bought the car and it would have been cheaper to buy an 8 grand car straight up than spend the $$$ but the looks of people top the $$$.

That's my spill
catch u around
Neil

If it's too loud your too old!!!
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 84' Camry Engine swap. Fri, 17 May 2002 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello-O

I have the brown interior!! Very Happy

So running unleaded petrol works okay? very cool! i am sick of paying extra Razz i've taken my camry up to 170km/h and it was still pulling...

I basically want to respray it (black), lower and tighter suspension, maybe new mags with wider tyres, 3S-GE engine, better exhaust (some tiny shit exhaust came with it), and i need to replace the front windscreen Razz it's got some dents in it Sad. One reason i'm after a 3s-ge engine is that it's more popular and there is much more information around about it... and also because it's got some nice power in it Smile I'll take your advice about the brakes, that'd be a nice upgrade Very Happy and the tyres too, low profile Very Happy

Thanks for the info!
CamryMan
Regular

May 2002
Re: 84' Camry Engine swap. Fri, 17 May 2002 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HyDra, do you live in Sydney?
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 84' Camry Engine swap. Fri, 17 May 2002 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
/me looks at location

nope Adelaide Smile
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: 84' Camry Engine swap. Fri, 17 May 2002 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hydra,

As far as 3SGE goes, there is really only the 1st series off the ST162 Celica that is widely available. The later series are fairly rare. I tried looking for one before and it was hard. There is no market for these engines unfortunately.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 84' Camry Engine swap. Fri, 17 May 2002 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SmellyTofu wrote on Fri, 17 May 2002 6:09 PM

Hydra,

As far as 3SGE goes, there is really only the 1st series off the ST162 Celica that is widely available. The later series are fairly rare. I tried looking for one before and it was hard. There is no market for these engines unfortunately.

I have found some... not sure what gen they are.

i have to go have a look at them. is there a way of telling their gen?

SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: 84' Camry Engine swap. Fri, 17 May 2002 10:50 Go to previous message
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/9975/dataBy Subject/EnginePix.html

Check this page. There are pics of the 3SGE in series there.

[Updated on: Fri, 17 May 2002 10:51]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Dash mounted auto shifter display
Next Topic:Struts,Hubs and Stub axels
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 19:36:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054209232330322 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.