Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Hoons ACA Tue, 19 April 2005 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm amazed at the amount of posts already considering it was just over 24 hours ago that they showed this on the news.

i was annoyed at the mentality of those drivers... no respect for anyone out there on the roads. from some of thier actions and comments they deserve to be locked up.

i also think that the media needs to do a story on the enthusiasts out there that are going to cop it when this crack down occurs.

just my opinion and you are free to disagree with any of it
  Send a private message to this user    
ke30king
Forums Junkie

On Probation

March 2005
Re: Hoons ACA Tue, 19 April 2005 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a mate thats la bit like" man im gunna do burn outs at every intersection and im gunna go real fast every were and im fully sik coz ive gotta hj ute and it goes " he hasnt got his licence yet and ye allready does burnouts out the front of his house and i tell him dude your gunna get caught 1 day and he always sez hes got an excuse " na man i have a high performance engine and a 308 diff and i cant take off slowly coz it will just stall " so i hope for his sake he loses his car even if it is only for 48 hours or wat eva . but i do think that taking a car for good is going a bit far and my step dads like " i think they should take it to the crusher and take the owner with it and make the owner watch it being crushed " but i think thats just fucked. any way im runnin out of things to whinge and nag about so im gunna leave it at that.
cheers
lloyd
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Hoons ACA Tue, 19 April 2005 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugman wrote on Tue, 19 April 2005 16:19

fact: everyone is sick of hearing about young drivers dying/crashing every week in the papers.

young drivers = problem............FACT!

Wrong - You're making the mistake that most of the ACA viewers are making. Yes, everybody hears about it every time a young driver does something stupid and hurts themselves, but, realistically, they aren't that much more dangerous than everybody else. They just have worse PR.

Imagine if every time an old person did something stupid on the road if it made the front page, you'd have the country up in arms about how old people should be retested, but, old people watch ACA for more than comic value. If they started abusing them, they would be undermining their own viewer base.

I can't remember the exact number, but, they sensationally gushed that something like 12 people had been killed street racing in the past 8 years or so. I can't be bothered looking up the numbers, but, in the same period, there had been over 10 000 people killed not street racing....

So, why do they pick on young drivers? It's fairly easy, young people don't have a strong political lobby, they also don't have the money to fight this sort of stuff in court and most importantly, they don't buy as many newspapers or watch as much current affairs TV....
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Hoons ACA Wed, 20 April 2005 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the fact is that in the 1970's the road toll was more than twice what it is today, yet it dropped suddenly over night because of the introduction of random breath testing. Now the fact is in these day their was a higher percentage of young ppl that died than today, except back then it was just excepted nowadays its a focus point because ppl need something to bitch about. I know its sad but i'll make a pretty harsh comment hear, out of the 300,000 odd thousand p-platers in NSW alone about 50-100 die a year, to me thats hardly an alarming percentage.
Second note a lot of these accidents have nothing to do with speed or so called dangerous driving they are just accidents.
One the clubsport in VIC last year a girl on her L's driving during the family holiday, probably not the best idea but how else you gonna rack up 50 hours genuinely.
Second the VW with 8 ppl in it, arguably stupid but morally she was the only one sober enough to drive, actually doing less than the speed limit but hit the brakes mid corner and then lost control of the car in the wet.
Third Puegot 206 convertible, girl gets new car takes friends for a drive, not speeding on a dark road doesn't see the dividing concrete barrier hits it flips the car and multiple ppl die.
Fourth countless ppl that die on Appin road mainly do to fatigue, government says mover the trees i say what so they hit hit a fence or ditch, roads needs armco fencing but the fact is no matter what ppl will still die.
Yes there have been plenty of ppl dieing in rcaing related incidents but the fact is these ppl have a low mentality, look at the mac fields incident they stole a car and crashed it, others racing etc these ppl are running the risk, but the facts are that no matter what we short of making our cars and covering trees and everything with mattresses ppl will still die.
Driving is dangerous, heck so is breathing in the CBD but ppl still do it.
Another fact more ppl die of youth suicide/drug overdose/alcohol overdose than from being a p-plater. But i don't see a massive investigation into that.
Personally i think the whole system needs a rethink, one better education in schools about driving show kids videos of incidents good shock tactic. Two (ppl will argue this) but a basic driving course aka eastern creek stage 1 good course, emergency braking mainly good environment for ppl to learn the stopping distances of their car and also scare them into that they can't drive as well as they think.
The test to become a p-plater should relate more to driving than it should to performing a couple of manourvers that are rarely used afterwards. I have reverse parked once since i got my p's and that was only for fun.
Two scrap the green p's test its a joke, set up one in the real world at a skidpan or circuit where hazards ie tire balls cardboard cut outs jump out at ppl nothing beats the real thing, will be hard for rural areas but the current test a two year old could pass.
F|sh
Occasional Poster

October 2003
Re: Hoons ACA Wed, 20 April 2005 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the girl in the clubby was definetly unnerving but the intentions as i saw it were good. If she wants to drive a hipo car then teach her to drive in it it was unforutunate that she happened to lose control into oncoming truck....

L drivers need better training and so do ppl on P's

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Hoons ACA Wed, 20 April 2005 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_ page/0,5744,15023127%5E28737,00.html

Quote:

There is a difference between cold-blooded murder and kids wanting to show off their cars

Quote:

White believes the introduction of anti-hooning laws has to be matched by the introduction of alternative forms of social activity for youths.

Like complexes that you can use your car at. Just because they put an icerink in my town is definitely not going to make me stop building my car and start iceskating. Rolling Eyes

Some of that shit from the University people was ridiculous.

I think the article wasn't written very well but it did have some good points but missed the point in other places.

[Updated on: Wed, 20 April 2005 08:39]

skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Hoons ACA Wed, 20 April 2005 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Another aspect to that, sociologically, is the erotic and almost sexual nature of the relationship and how the car is described almost as a lover. Some types of masculinity lend themselves to a car fetish.

Laughing

Quote:

There are not a lot of things to do for young people -- we don't have icerinks, we don't have drive-in movies, we don't have opera, we don't have bands

how many young people are going to go see an opera? Laughing
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Hoons ACA Wed, 20 April 2005 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats a load of shit
just because people died at said place they blame it on hooning.. i mean COME FUCKING ON!
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Hoons ACA Wed, 20 April 2005 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On this topic, I read in the paper today that there was a council in sydney that wanted to close some streets off to traffic or something except for public transport, because they think the car "hoons" in their (this is the articles words) "hotted up and extremely noisy" cars Rolling Eyes

Ill find the article and tell you word for word what it said if anyone's interested.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Hoons ACA Thu, 21 April 2005 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And how do they determine who is a hoon???

http://www.boostcruising.com/forums/index.php?show topic=71128&st=40&p=5072193&

A fella over there is organising a segment on ch7 that will show the car enthusiasts point of view. I commend him for taking the initiative and hope it works out ok.
tom210
Regular

March 2005
Re: Hoons ACA Sat, 23 April 2005 04:53 Go to previous message
Merudo wrote on Thu, 21 April 2005 09:41

On this topic, I read in the paper today that there was a council in sydney that wanted to close some streets off to traffic or something except for public transport, because they think the car "hoons" in their (this is the articles words) "hotted up and extremely noisy" cars Rolling Eyes

well whats the point of that they'll just go somewhere else, like common sense wouldnt go astray, fark, logic of some of these people just shocks me, i said this somewhere else, in order to stop underage drinking they wanted to increase the legal drinking age to 21, thats not going to stop it, it'l just make it worse. so closing roads is the same, they'l simply go somewhere else.

[Updated on: Sat, 23 April 2005 04:55]

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:My Stolen SX Hatch - if u see it, please call the police
Next Topic:what toyota is this?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 19:44:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059440135955811 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.