Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Making 3 piece wheels wider?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Making 3 piece wheels wider? Wed, 20 April 2005 07:54 Go to next message

Hi!
I've heard it said that any 3 piece wheel can be widende (or narrowed) by several inches, by a skilled wheel maker.

Is this true?

And would it be safe to assume that it would end-up costing more than just buying the correct width wheel in the first place?

TIA!
  Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Making 3 piece wheels wider? Wed, 20 April 2005 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Depending on the brand, you might just be able to order new halves.
I know with simmons you can.

Just be aware that modding the rim may not be legal, check with whoever claims they can do it, make sure you get what ever they do in writing claiming its still safe.
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Making 3 piece wheels wider? Wed, 20 April 2005 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Cheers Peewee. I ask only out of interest sake, speculation and end-of-workday-boredom Rolling Eyes .

I'm guessing it's either (a) expensive (2) illegal or (III) both - otherwise everone would be honing around on their 10" jellyboans Crying or Very Sad
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Making 3 piece wheels wider? Wed, 20 April 2005 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, not "everybody", since there aren't a whole lot of genuine 3-piece rims out there.
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Making 3 piece wheels wider? Wed, 20 April 2005 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ide imagine if you wanted wider wheels youd need to change the inside rim along with the outside, so youde only be using your old centre...might as well buy new wheels by the time u do that.

on the subject though, ive put my 3 piece wheels apart and i think they are leaking now, what are you meant to seal them back up with, and should you do this with tyres off?
rsdeo
Regular

January 2004
Re: Making 3 piece wheels wider? Wed, 20 April 2005 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have done it. 2 pce and 3 pce to larger diameter and wider 3 pce.

I have some unfinished hoops in my garage in 17" and 18".

http://img141.echo.cx/img141/4084/wheelparts28ov.jpg

You will notice they are formed, but the center hole is not cut and the center mounting holes are not drilled either. Perfect for any size center.

Always remove the tyres before splitting the rims and always use non acid silicone sealant to seal them. I use I high temp stuff.

Just bolt all the parts together, then apply the sealant to the seam. Let it dry for a three or four hours and then mount the tyre. The air pressure will sqeeze it through the seam. You should be good to go. Usually the silicone takes 24 hours to dry.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Making 3 piece wheels wider? Wed, 20 April 2005 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Raj,

It seems to be that the spun halves are readily available over there.

What price do they run to, and can you get them with the centre hole cut and the bolt pattern drilled ? I'm thinking of widening the Rays rims to 17x9" when I finally get them if they are troo narrow at the back.

The big drama in Australia is that there are very few metal spinners around, and even fewer that have the moulds to do them (as well as the skills).

For info, the Simmons spun halves in 16" are around the AUD $250 EACH without polishing.

So yes, buying "thin" rims and then re-hooping in Aus is not cheap or easy.

Cheers

Michael B
rsdeo
Regular

January 2004
Re: Making 3 piece wheels wider? Wed, 20 April 2005 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They are not that easy to get, but the following place in British Columbia, Canada sells them.

http://www.kodiakracingwheels.com

Just look at shells.

They also do group buys, but you have to order 20 or more of the same size to get a discount. It is something like 40% off though.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Making 3 piece wheels wider? Thu, 21 April 2005 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Thu, 21 April 2005 05:57

For info, the Simmons spun halves in 16" are around the AUD $250 EACH without polishing.

WHAT??
A whole 16x7" rim is only about $550, including the centre, AND polishing.
17x7 is only $600

(hehe, 'only')
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Making 3 piece wheels wider? Thu, 21 April 2005 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Thu, 21 April 2005 09:44

bbaacchhyy wrote on Thu, 21 April 2005 05:57

WHAT??
A whole 16x7" rim is only about $550, including the centre, AND polishing.
17x7 is only $600

(hehe, 'only')

The price of an individual part in no way reflects the sum of the whole parts.

You should know that from any spares pricing !!!

A quick example is that a T56 costs GMH less than $3k (actaul number a commercial secret), but as a spare from any dealer will set you back $8.8k !!!!
rsdeo
Regular

January 2004
Re: Making 3 piece wheels wider? Thu, 21 April 2005 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Each hoop price is around $130 depending on size. You need two per wheel, inner and outer.

If you can get the group buy price you will probably be paying around $160/wheel. Then there is shipping.
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Making 3 piece wheels wider? Thu, 21 April 2005 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Thu, 21 April 2005 10:34

A quick example is that a T56 costs GMH less than $3k (actaul number a commercial secret), but as a spare from any dealer will set you back $8.8k !!!!

Really Shocked

You have a PM
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Making 3 piece wheels wider? Thu, 21 April 2005 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmmm.

I just got today by two different wheel makers, and by ROH that i could not narrow 3-piece 17*9's to 17*7.
rsdeo
Regular

January 2004
Re: Making 3 piece wheels wider? Thu, 21 April 2005 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M.W.P. wrote on Thu, 21 April 2005 03:07

Hmmmm.

I just got today by two different wheel makers, and by ROH that i could not narrow 3-piece 17*9's to 17*7.

Maybe they meant they couldn't do it, but you can with the right parts.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Making 3 piece wheels wider? Thu, 21 April 2005 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M.W.P. wrote on Thu, 21 April 2005 16:37

Hmmmm.

It depends on what the wheel halves are already. There is a minimum that they typically do.

Basically, if you have to widen/change 4 rims, it will almost be cheaper to get new rims in the first place. The other thing to keep in mund is the change in offset when you change the halves....

heers

Michael B
rsdeo
Regular

January 2004
Re: Making 3 piece wheels wider? Thu, 21 April 2005 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Wed, 20 April 2005 17:57

Michael

Did you say AUD $250 per hoop so AUD $500 per wheel?

What sizes are you looking for inner and outer?

[Updated on: Thu, 21 April 2005 23:49]

bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Making 3 piece wheels wider? Fri, 22 April 2005 00:07 Go to previous message
rsdeo wrote on Fri, 22 April 2005 09:14

bbaacchhyy wrote on Wed, 20 April 2005 17:57

Michael

Did you say AUD $250 per hoop so AUD $500 per wheel?

What sizes are you looking for inner and outer?

Um, yup.

The inners would be more because they are deeper.

If I did rehoop my rims, it would be the new Ray's ones and to make them 9" rather than the 8" for the rear application.

I'll wait and see when I get the rims
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:rb30 into hilux
Next Topic:timing on 4agze's
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:11:35 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059549808502197 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.