Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Oxy setup costs Thu, 21 April 2005 15:01 Go to next message
Alright, on the off chance that someone knows the answer to this and is online at this hour, to satisfy my late night curiosity, can anyone tell me what the bottle + gas costs of an oxy acetylene setup are?

Not worried about attachment, regulator, hose etc. costs at the moment, and if no one knows now, i'll just give BOC or someone a ring in the morning.
  Send a private message to this user    
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Oxy setup costs Thu, 21 April 2005 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I use E size bottles, and the rental is close enough to $20/month for the pair (I never said anything about paying that much though Very Happy )

From memory I think it was about $130 for the pair o swap them over last time - but then my brain might also have gone to sleep hours ago!
matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Oxy setup costs Thu, 21 April 2005 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okey dokey, second question; is oxy welding comparable to mig welding, ie. with some practice, can an oxy do most of the welding i might like to partake in, with automotive stuff?

Making mounts, welding pipes etc?
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Oxy setup costs Thu, 21 April 2005 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oxy might be good for thin stuff and and welding pipes but i'd prefer arc/mig for mounts or other thick/structural stuff.

re rentals, wilbo was talking about $160 per year for gas bottle rental (for a tig setup) but actual gas would cost on top of that.

personally, i was thinking of getting a cheap mig (not gasless) from bunnings - consumables would be gas (when used in gas mode) and feedstock wire.
matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Oxy setup costs Thu, 21 April 2005 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah ok, so the oxy setup would be able to do the thin stuff that my stick welder can't?

In that case, it may warrant further investigation. Smile
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Oxy setup costs Thu, 21 April 2005 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
forget about oxy for panel work typicly too much heat and distorts the metal unless you have been doing it for 40 years (seen a guy weld to coke cans together with an alloy filler rod)
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Oxy setup costs Thu, 21 April 2005 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mig is great for thin stuff. All the panel beaters use it due to it not heating up the surrounding areas too much i.e so it won't affect the paint on panels or heat distort.

ALso Mig is very quick in comparison to any of the other techniques.

If you get one get one that has the capability of doing gas and gasless. If you get a second hand one check it out well before hand. I bough one and I had to put a new liner in it and a few things which was a bit of stufffing around but it's good now.

[Updated on: Thu, 21 April 2005 22:30]

matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Oxy setup costs Thu, 21 April 2005 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BOC prices;

D size

$98 per year bottle hire (times 2, obviously)

$27 + GST for Oxygen
$49 + GST for Acetylene

I would look at buying a mig, but being able to cut with the oxy is a big plus.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: Oxy setup costs Thu, 21 April 2005 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Fri, 22 April 2005 08:27

forget about oxy for panel work typicly too much heat and distorts the metal unless you have been doing it for 40 years (seen a guy weld to coke cans together with an alloy filler rod)

Nod my dad quit panel beating after only 25 years (not quite 40), but he's incredible with an oxy. I stick to the MIG, because I suck Smiley =
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Oxy setup costs Thu, 21 April 2005 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much should a good mig cost?
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Oxy setup costs Thu, 21 April 2005 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
matt_84 wrote on Fri, 22 April 2005 08:37

BOC prices;

D size

$98 per year bottle hire (times 2, obviously)

$27 + GST for Oxygen
$49 + GST for Acetylene

I would look at buying a mig, but being able to cut with the oxy is a big plus.

you can run it on lpg rather then acetylene just as good
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Oxy setup costs Thu, 21 April 2005 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I picked up one 2nd hand for around 300 (Mig that is)., but it was worth about 900 new. About 150 amp one will be worth about 900 that will do both gas/gasless welding.

[Updated on: Thu, 21 April 2005 23:35]

HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Oxy setup costs Thu, 21 April 2005 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm thinking about getting one (be it new or 2nd hand) and teaching myself to weld using scrap metal. Welding would be so useful!
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Oxy setup costs Fri, 22 April 2005 10:43 Go to previous message
my MIG cost $2500 and has infinitely variable wire speed and voltage, takes 15kg spools, is 200A and rocks Smile (is a liquid arc maxmig model)

gas bottle is $110-120 a year (E?)

the only killer with oxy is rental Sad.. stoopid bottles..
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Stopper/Bead/Grommet type head gaskets?
Next Topic:st162 head units
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 9 14:44:30 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065910816192627 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.